Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-29-2004   #201
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 228126 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
thats all fine and good... but doesnt change the fact that a large back would COULD force his way into the endzone and get us those short yards for a first down WOULD be more useful than another fast back. Variety never hurt nobody on a football field.
Wells is 245 lbs and can't punch his way through a paper bag. IMO talent counts for more and if you really have to throw a big chunk of meat at the line then put Baxter in with Norris lead blocking. At this point the Texans already have three large backs with Wells, Baxter and Norris. Three large and two regular seems a lot more balanced than Four large and one regular IMO.
Old 07-29-2004   #202
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

well when i said we should get a large back i meant one that is worth a damn. If one of our FBs is actually good enough to do that.. then that sounds great... but I havent seem them get the ball yet so I imagine they arent RB material.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004   #203
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Jarrod Baxter can potentially be that short yardage back.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004   #204
SESupergenius

they can potentially be short yardage backs, but they won't because we never use them that way.
Old 07-29-2004   #205
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 14 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

The Texans usually don't run the fullback from two back sets, but I see Baxter being an effective short yardage back if he is put in there running behind Norris.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004   #206
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Baxter is not a prototypical FB. He is more of a tweener HB/FB. A Baxter and Norris backfield on 4th and 1 is a distinct possibility IMO.
Old 07-29-2004   #207
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Dont forget that Baxter was a starting RB in college....

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-29-2004   #208
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

yes but how did he do? did he play against any good competition?
Beastlyman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004   #209
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

He did pretty good for a walk-on

from his bio on this site...
Quote:
COLLEGE: Lined up at tailback and fullback as a four-year starter for the Lobos, rushing for 2,090 yards on 462 carries (4.5 avg.) with 19 TDs…also caught 15 passes for 114 yards…former walk-on who eventually served as team captain two seasons…paced team with 203 carries for 907 yards (4.5 avg.) and 11 TDs as a senior, earning first-team All-Mountain West Conference honors…his TD total ranked fifth on the school’s all-time single-season list…rushed for career-high 184 yards and two scores in season opener versus UTEP…carried 138 times for 559 yards and five scores as a junior, earning honorable mention all-conference accolades…earned team MVP honors as a sophomore, rushing for 434 yards and four TDs…started 8 of 12 games as a freshman, rushing for 190 yards on 38 carries

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004   #210
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Jarrod Baxter's 4 college season stats:

Old 07-29-2004   #211
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

how bout Tony Hollings for Sam Madison? That would be nice!!!
Old 07-29-2004   #212
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

Question Tony Hollings for Sam Madison?

Have yall heard anything about this proposed trade? I got this off a rumor mill, and i dont know what to think but i doubt that the Dolphin need a RB so desperatly as to trade of of the better CBs in the league for an unproven, unhealthy, 2nd yr RB. Heard anything?
Old 07-29-2004   #213
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 228126 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastlyman2003
Have yall heard anything about this proposed trade? I got this off a rumor mill, and i dont know what to think but i doubt that the Dolphin need a RB so desperatly as to trade of of the better CBs in the league for an unproven, unhealthy, 2nd yr RB. Heard anything?
What rumor mill other than your response to Bottle-O-Bud above?
Old 07-29-2004   #214
Oilers/Texans
Veteran

I like Davis. He's the RB until he proves he can't do it. Right now, he looks like he can do it. If Hollings beats him out, that means Hollings is one heck of an awsome back because Davis is pretty dog gone good!! Don't ya think??
Oilers/Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004   #215
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67767 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

capers just did a segment on 610 and was adamant about how important having two runningbacks is. he said hollings would get a LOT of work in the preseason and i got the impression hollings would be getting 5-10 carries plus a game in the regular season. he did say hollings would be a key player this year.

10-15 minute segment and they really didnt touch on much else of note.

hollings isnt going anywhere.
Old 07-29-2004   #216
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

Default Hollings Trade

Can't see it happening although have to admit a #1 early in 1st round looks pretty good, charley casserly would be hard pressed to say no but am sure DD and TH will be working in backfield this season and next
BigDTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004   #217
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Here is a relevant link:

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2714260

If this is true, I think it is highly unlikely that DD gets 1700 yards.
Old 08-02-2004   #218
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Kind of a deceptive article, because the top backs did average more than 20 times a game. Are they trying to say DD cann't do it? I still think Hollings has to show a lot more than he has, but if they think he's still a speed merchant they must know. He probably has healed fine. But he has to show he can get through the holes, and so far, he has shown much in that department. My only hope is the combination of DD and Hollings becomes the scourge of the league.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004   #219
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109917 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess I'm not so crazy afterall...
Quote:
The Texans believe they have two good young running backs in Domanick Davis, who rushed for 1,031 yards in just 10 starts as a rookie last season, and Hollings, the player thought to be the team's running back of the future before Davis emerged.

Hollings, the NCAA's leading rusher after four games in 2002 before an ACL injury ended his season at Georgia Tech, is a backup for the purposes of depth charts. The Texans, however, consider him a playmaker.

"We'd like to run the ball 30 times a game," offensive coordinator Chris Palmer said. "We're going to have to split the load, and that's where Hollings is going to get his work. We're looking for Domanick to touch the ball 15, 18, 20 times a game, and we'd like to give Hollings 12 to 15 touches.
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2714260
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004   #220
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Yep Vinny you and I have been saying the same things about Hollings for a while. It is one of those rare items where we agree.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read