Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2005   #21
TexanExile
Square 1 again
 
TexanExile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Singapore
Age: 43
Posts: 1,606
Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
I still say Casserly is not the problem. We have had excellent talent from the draft, but the coaching staff has simply destoyed the talent we have...

And I still totally disagree with you, Ibar. WHAT talent? Other than a couple of great pickups with very high (and therefore relatively safe) draft choices, and a few late-round gems that pretty much most teams get once in a while,
where is the underexploited talent? Please select any from the following list of genius Casserly selections/moves to demonstrate why you feel like these guys are somehow being held back from greatness:

FA SIGNINGS:
Philip Burntcannon
Morlon Greenwood
Todd Overpade
Victor Riley
Stacey Mack

DRAFT PICKS:
Travis Johnson
Tony Hollings
Jason Babin

(NOTE: I don't hold Joppru against Casserly...Nobody could've foreseen that. Not finding a legitimate TE when the evidence was clear that Joppru was a bust is very much on Casserly, though.)

I do hope you are not arguing that this weak cast of characters on the O-line are simply "undercoached" or "mismanaged." They stink. And they're paid, compared to most other NFL lines, insanely large sums of money from Casserly-inked deals to stink as badly as they do.

Cass deserves credit for the good picks of AJ and Dunta, and for the Drew Henson draft/trade. He (or his staff) also identified Jerome Mathis and have made some other nice moves in late rounds. But the prices paid (and talent missed) for some of these stiffs mentioned above have been too great. And I know this has been said before, but if this is ALL the fault of the coaches, then Casserly has failed to do his job and stop the bleeding, and that makes him accountable too.

Franchises that consistently have weak drafts and FA periods have weak rosters. They don't get better just because a good coach shows up. This team needs a new coach, but it also needs a lot more horses, and the guy up front next to McNair ain't bringin' in very many horses. At this point, it's time to kick everyone out and start over--Casserly and all.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005   #22
CowboysTexansFan
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Age: 47
Posts: 311
Rep Power: 10 CowboysTexansFan is a team player
Default

Nice post, TexanExile, I couldn't agree with you more. To expand slightly on what you wrote, Casserly has gotten virtually nothing out of 4 years' worth of 2nd and 3rd round picks, either because of bad picks or bad trades.

His a-- needs to be sent packing. The sooner, the better.
CowboysTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005   #23
aj.
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,769
Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysTexansFan
Casserly has gotten virtually nothing out of 4 years' worth of 2nd and 3rd round picks,
Casserly needs to be fired, as does Capers and his crew, but Gaffney, Pitts, and Peek amount to something more than 'virtually nothing.'
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005   #24
CowboysTexansFan
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Age: 47
Posts: 311
Rep Power: 10 CowboysTexansFan is a team player
Default

I think Pitts is pretty good and has the potential to get better, but Gaffney and Peek have not shown me that they're much more than average players.

Gaffney has posted some decent numbers this year, but that's largely because AJ has been out much of the time. I'm not sold on him as a solid #2 receiver. I think he's more of a #3 receiver.

As to Peek, occasionally he'll make a play, but his performance has not come close to matching all the hype surrounding his alleged great athletic ability.

Now if you count all the 2nd and 3rd round picks the team has had during its existence, and all you can come up with are those 3 players, it doesn't amount to much. In fact, it's totally unacceptable to have drafted only one quality player with 4 years' worth of 2nd and 3rd round picks.

I stand by my statement.
CowboysTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005   #25
Bobo
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Age: 62
Posts: 1,375
Rep Power: 0 Bobo does not work well with others
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysTexansFan
Here is a link to Richard Justice's blog. I wish he would turn this into a regular column for publication in the Chronicle and explore the Texans' drafting in more detail. More specifically, he should talk about how the drafting by the Colts and Steelers has been even better than the Texans' when you factor in that the Colts and Steelers have been picking much later in each round than the Texans have been.

Justice should also analyze the trade for P. Burnt and how the Texans gave up a 2nd and 3rd round pick for that castoff from the Raiders. I wonder if Casserly wants to blame the coaches for that one, too.

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice...g_the_tex.html
A.) You can't judge draft picks on the short term. B.) Casserly got Dom Davis with a fourth-rounder, so if you're gonna pan him for some picks you have to praise him for the ones that worked out. C.) I get tired of all this rather redundant calling for firings. "Fire Capers! Fire Casserly! Fire Carr! Fire the ball boy! Fire them all!" Give me a break. For the past three years, these guys have done a fine job. But we don't hear anything about what they did in the first three years of this franchise. No wonder people around the NFL don't respect Houston fans.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005   #26
Bobo
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Age: 62
Posts: 1,375
Rep Power: 0 Bobo does not work well with others
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Casserly needs to be fired, as does Capers and his crew, but Gaffney, Pitts, and Peek amount to something more than 'virtually nothing.'
That would be pretty stupid to fire perhaps the best GM in football and the guy who took an expansion team to the precipice of a .500 season in just three years.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005   #27
Bobo
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Age: 62
Posts: 1,375
Rep Power: 0 Bobo does not work well with others
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysTexansFan
Nice post, TexanExile, I couldn't agree with you more. To expand slightly on what you wrote, Casserly has gotten virtually nothing out of 4 years' worth of 2nd and 3rd round picks, either because of bad picks or bad trades.

His a-- needs to be sent packing. The sooner, the better.
Two words: Dominick Davis.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-23-2005   #28
Bobo
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Age: 62
Posts: 1,375
Rep Power: 0 Bobo does not work well with others
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanExile
And I still totally disagree with you, Ibar. WHAT talent? Other than a couple of great pickups with very high (and therefore relatively safe) draft choices, and a few late-round gems that pretty much most teams get once in a while,
where is the underexploited talent? Please select any from the following list of genius Casserly selections/moves to demonstrate why you feel like these guys are somehow being held back from greatness:

FA SIGNINGS:
Philip Burntcannon
Morlon Greenwood
Todd Overpade
Victor Riley
Stacey Mack

DRAFT PICKS:
Travis Johnson
Tony Hollings
Jason Babin

(NOTE: I don't hold Joppru against Casserly...Nobody could've foreseen that. Not finding a legitimate TE when the evidence was clear that Joppru was a bust is very much on Casserly, though.)

I do hope you are not arguing that this weak cast of characters on the O-line are simply "undercoached" or "mismanaged." They stink. And they're paid, compared to most other NFL lines, insanely large sums of money from Casserly-inked deals to stink as badly as they do.

Cass deserves credit for the good picks of AJ and Dunta, and for the Drew Henson draft/trade. He (or his staff) also identified Jerome Mathis and have made some other nice moves in late rounds. But the prices paid (and talent missed) for some of these stiffs mentioned above have been too great. And I know this has been said before, but if this is ALL the fault of the coaches, then Casserly has failed to do his job and stop the bleeding, and that makes him accountable too.

Franchises that consistently have weak drafts and FA periods have weak rosters. They don't get better just because a good coach shows up. This team needs a new coach, but it also needs a lot more horses, and the guy up front next to McNair ain't bringin' in very many horses. At this point, it's time to kick everyone out and start over--Casserly and all.
No mention of Dom Davis, Andre Johnson or D. Robinson? Hmm ... wonder why?
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005   #29
Wolf
100% Texan
 
Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Kerrville
Age: 44
Posts: 37,356
Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

We went boom or bust on our drafts and unfortuantly we busted.. we took projects that our coaching/scouting departments saw a diamond in the rough and went with it..(aka Wand/Hollings/etc) ... If hollings showed the explosion in the NFL as he did with the 4 games he played in college..we'd be praising Casserly..


for the record.. I am not praising/bashing Casserly.. we gambled with our picks and so far they haven't worked out
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005   #30
CowboysTexansFan
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Age: 47
Posts: 311
Rep Power: 10 CowboysTexansFan is a team player
Default

Bobo:

Are you saying that because Casserly made a nice pick in the 4th round with DD that he has done a great job with the team's drafting? I give him credit for that, but I also give him credit for all the busts he has selected with high picks or has traded away for bad players.

Have ALL of his picks been bad? No. But when you look at his overall record, any objective evaluation will conclude that his drafting has been lousy.

As to AJ and DR, those were high first round picks, which are more difficult to mangle because the choices are usually fairly obvious. Not foolproof, but relatively low risk.

Why don't you mention Babin, who was a 1st round pick? The team gave up basically its entire draft to get him, after selecting DR. Was Babin worth it? So far, no way. He was benched at the beginning of the season for poor play and hasn't returned to the starting lineup.

You call Casserly "perhaps the best GM in football and the guy who took an expansion team to the precipice of a .500 season in just three years." Yes, no one was calling for him to be fired last year. But here we are in Year 4, and the team is worse than it was in Year 1.

The blame is not all his, but bad personnel decisions are a big reason why the team is as bad as it is, and we need a better GM to build the team. We also need better coaches.

By the way, are you a friend of Casserly's or related to him?
CowboysTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005   #31
Bobo
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Age: 62
Posts: 1,375
Rep Power: 0 Bobo does not work well with others
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysTexansFan
Bobo:

Are you saying that because Casserly made a nice pick in the 4th round with DD that he has done a great job with the team's drafting? I give him credit for that, but I also give him credit for all the busts he has selected with high picks or has traded away for bad players.

Have ALL of his picks been bad? No. But when you look at his overall record, any objective evaluation will conclude that his drafting has been lousy.

As to AJ and DR, those were high first round picks, which are more difficult to mangle because the choices are usually fairly obvious. Not foolproof, but relatively low risk.

Why don't you mention Babin, who was a 1st round pick? The team gave up basically its entire draft to get him, after selecting DR. Was Babin worth it? So far, no way. He was benched at the beginning of the season for poor play and hasn't returned to the starting lineup.

You call Casserly "perhaps the best GM in football and the guy who took an expansion team to the precipice of a .500 season in just three years." Yes, no one was calling for him to be fired last year. But here we are in Year 4, and the team is worse than it was in Year 1.

The blame is not all his, but bad personnel decisions are a big reason why the team is as bad as it is, and we need a better GM to build the team. We also need better coaches.

By the way, are you a friend of Casserly's or related to him?
Many of the draft picks haven't played out yet. Casserly has a track record of great picks -- don't be surprised if many of those you want to debunk before one season is over with them pan out in the end. As for Hollings, the only reason he hasn't done much is because the Texans have guys better than him. And don't go off with this ridiculous "are you a friend of Casserly's" rant. If you look at his track record, it's a fine one. Too many folks want to go off half-cocked and fire folks who have proven track records and replace them with people who don't and are destined for failure. Are you one of those folks who want to do that?
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005   #32
CowboysTexansFan
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Age: 47
Posts: 311
Rep Power: 10 CowboysTexansFan is a team player
Default

Some of his picks haven't been with the team long, but others have been with the team for years.

Please provide your reasoning behind the statement that "Casserly has a track record of great picks". Some of Casserly's picks that I can think of are Heath Shuler, Tony Hollings, Fred Weary and others.

One of the reasons he deserves to be fired is his lousy trading and signing of free agents. We have one of the highest paid O-lines in the league, and also one of the worst. That's partly Casserly's work.

I wouldn't want to replace Casserly with someone unqualified. But guys like Jimmy Johnson and Ron Wolf have MUCH better track records than Casserly ever will in his wildest dreams.

I repeat the question: Are you related to Casserly or a friend of his? Or are you Casserly himself?
CowboysTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005   #33
SESupergenius
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo
As for Hollings, the only reason he hasn't done much is because the Texans have guys better than him.
Help me out here. By saying that the TExans have better guys doesnt that mean that Hollings is bad pick?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005   #34
CowboysTexansFan
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Age: 47
Posts: 311
Rep Power: 10 CowboysTexansFan is a team player
Default

And keep in mind that Hollings cost us a high #2 pick!
CowboysTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger