Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-20-2005   #1
TexansJunkE
Veteran

Default How Can You Not..............

.........take the best player in the draft REGGIE BUSH! I'm all for fixing something that is broke, but if you have the #1 pick you must take a playmaker that has the ability to take it the distance everytime he touches the ball. I know we have DD and I think he is a good reliable player, and then we have Wells and Morency. Question, why do we take Morency in the
3rd round and then he hardly ever plays? Anyways there should be enough OT's in this draft where we can take one in the 2nd. I also have another "Hypothetical Question" to ask you. If Detroit is as deperate as it seems to get a QB, WHAT IF they offer us Roy williams and the 13th pick in the first. Do you bite? I say yes. this kinda reminds me of the Budweiser True men of Genius. I think this is a little more realistic though.

Last edited by TexansJunkE; 11-20-2005 at 08:06 AM.
TexansJunkE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005   #2
touttail
All Pro

If you have the first pick and not draft Bush, you should get somekind of a great deal from a team the really needs a good RB like Bush. We could use some extra picks to help[ us on the OL and Def.

bobby 119C:brickwall
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005   #3
HoustonFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan
Send a message via AIM to HoustonFan Send a message via MSN to HoustonFan Send a message via Yahoo to HoustonFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by touttail
If you have the first pick and not draft Bush, you should get somekind of a great deal from a team the really needs a good RB like Bush. We could use some extra picks to help[ us on the OL and Def.

bobby 119C:brickwall
I agree.But then again, just thinking about what LT has done for the Chargers... I may be looking to jump on the band wagon for Reggie Bush. Only thing is that there are still some issues with the O-line that need to be addressed - left tackle and tight end, I hope they use the tight end more often than they have.
Old 11-20-2005   #4
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 356170 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, Reggie Bush! So we can ruin another no. 1 pick with lots of potential. It'll be like our "thing" as a team.

Sorry folks, but either the offensive line is a priority, or we will continue to be a losing franchise. We've got some players to work with, so it might not be that much of a stretch to get a couple of more and have a dominating line year in and year out.

Think of Denver's line, who can make just about every RB they put back there look like a stud. And a solid, consistent line can make even mediocre QBs look good.
Old 11-20-2005   #5
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
Sorry folks, but either the offensive line is a priority, or we will continue to be a losing franchise. We've got some players to work with, so it might not be that much of a stretch to get a couple of more and have a dominating line year in and year out.

Think of Denver's line, who can make just about every RB they put back there look like a stud. And a solid, consistent line can make even mediocre QBs look good.
Much as I would love to see Reggie Bush wearing a Texan uniform - I agree with Double Barrel. We have to draft to get a better o-line - top priority - no sidetracking. Without an offensive line that can hold defenders larger than your average 12 year old, no matter how good you are in college, it isn't going to happen in the nfl. With our current players (minus a few), an effective oline that is the focus of the off-season and a new coaching staff goes without saying - I think we could be an above average team next year.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005   #6
Keyser Soze
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansJunkE
.........take the best player in the draft REGGIE BUSH! I'm all for fixing something that is broke, but if you have the #1 pick you must take a playmaker that has the ability to take it the distance everytime he touches the ball.
Ok, I'll put a different light on this thought:

XXXXXX's first-round draft pick, 1989. . .Electrifying running style. . .First player to rush for 1,000 yards his first 10 seasons. . .Led NFL in rushing four times. . .NFL's MVP, 1997. . .Gained 2,053 yards including record 14 straight 100-yard games, 1997. . .Career rushing record: 15,269 yards, 99 TDs. . .First- or second-team All-NFL each of his 10 seasons. . .Selected to 10 Pro Bowls

A playmaker, right? His career defines the success of one athlete in a team sport. His team was garbage. One great player on a crap team doesn't get the job done in this league. Drafting Reggie Bush to play for the Texans in their current form would be bad football management. Oh, without googling the clues, can you tell me who I'm talking about? He was a perennial all-pro, and his team never went anywhere.
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005   #7
mj.
Rookie

Barry Sanders
mj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-22-2005   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I would be in favor of a Reggie Bush/Pete Carrol package
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005   #9
College Texan
Veteran

ooh, Pete Carrol as head and J.Johnson as GM, bring in a real DC and OC and we're ready for next season.
College Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005   #10
Keyser Soze
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj.
Barry Sanders
Give that man a cigar.

Do you see my analogy? Reggie Bush does not cure this team. No more than Barry Sanders did for the Lions - which he didn't. He certainly performed well. The key is this club has woes well and beyond RB. Reggie Bush's talent would be squandered here.
Old 11-22-2005   #11
yaboycm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
Give that man a cigar.

Do you see my analogy? Reggie Bush does not cure this team. No more than Barry Sanders did for the Lions - which he didn't. He certainly performed well. The key is this club has woes well and beyond RB. Reggie Bush's talent would be squandered here.
Uhhhhhh they were only a consistent playoff team every year with crappy quarterbacks and bad defenses. Wait! Sounds like the Texans if they keep Carr.
Old 11-22-2005   #12
Keyser Soze
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaboycm
Uhhhhhh they were only a consistent playoff team every year with crappy quarterbacks and bad defenses.
Barely a playoff team. One NFC championship game, and four first-round exits as wild cards. His other five seasons with Detroit they had losing records, including three 5-11 seasons.

Maybe the Texans need Reggie so they can get up to 5-11?
Old 11-22-2005   #13
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Like I said before, Reggie Bush is this year's Sean Taylor.

Who would you rather add to this team, Brian Westbrook or Walter Jones? Better yet. Would you rather have Brian Westbrook or Walter Jones AND another 1st round pick? If we end up with the 1st overall pick, we might be able to trade down 2-3 slots and get Ferguson and another high pick/high picks.
Old 11-22-2005   #14
SESupergenius

Thing about that is, that makes perfect sense. But look who we have as a GM, do you really trust him to make such an obvious deal?
He'll probably trade the 1st pick for next years 1 and 2 and leave us with our peepees dangling in the wind for this year. Then next year he'll trade up and take someone who no ones even thought about (see Joppru, Babin, etc..)
Old 11-22-2005   #15
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Quote:
Uhhhhhh they were only a consistent playoff team every year with crappy quarterbacks and bad defenses. Wait! Sounds like the Texans if they keep Carr.
Exactly.

So what sense would it make to duplicate that concept?
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005   #16
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

How many first rounders does that san diego offensive line have?
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005   #17
yaboycm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
Exactly.

So what sense would it make to duplicate that concept?
GET RID OF CARR and upgrade the defense.
Old 11-22-2005   #18
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Quote:
GET RID OF CARR and upgrade the defense.
And how do you propose they upgrade the defense while concentrating their next two first round draft picks on offense?
Old 11-22-2005   #19
yaboycm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
And how do you propose they upgrade the defense while concentrating their next two first round draft picks on offense?
Well according to you they got someone with solid potential in the 6th round last year or was it 5th? C.C. Brown. Draft Slay then.

There is something called free agency these days. The Giants used it to upgrade their wide outs. Possibly the Texans could do the same with the defense.

Aaron Weaver, Will Allen, or Julian Peterson would be nice. But, why would they want to come here? Especially Allen.

They should draft Aaron Harris in the 4th round.

This is going to be a rebuilding team for a few years. Especially if the franchise QB is taken in 07.

Last edited by yaboycm; 11-22-2005 at 09:25 PM.
yaboycm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005   #20
Huge
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Well according to you they got someone with solid potential in the 6th round last year or was it 5th? C.C. Brown. Draft Slay then.

There is something called free agency these days. The Giants used it to upgrade their wide outs. Possibly the Texans could do the same with the defense.

Aaron Weaver, Will Allen, or Julian Peterson would be nice. But, why would they want to come here? Especially Allen.

They should draft Aaron Harris in the 4th round.

This is going to be a rebuilding team for a few years. Especially if the franchise QB is taken in 07.
And they got Domanick Davis in the 4th round. See how that works? Or do you also feel they shouldn't pin their hopes on every 6th round pick working out like Brown did?

I believe there was also a free agency period last year. How did Casserly do?

Why draft Harris in the 4th when you can draft him in the 6th? And at 5'11, 230, is that the LBer you want manning a 3-4 scheme?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read