Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-20-2005   #1
yaboycm
Veteran

Default Some Things the Texans Should Do

As I went to type something that would eventually end up on "how the Texans should draft Vincent Young," Reggie Bush popped on my television doing what it seems he does every game, run for a touchdown over 50 yards. Reminding me that this is what the Texans need, among other things.

A guy like Marvin Harrison, T.O., Moss, a guy who is a threat to score a touchdown every time he touches the ball. Especially on a team that is .4 points a game away from being next to last in the league in scoring. He can do it on special teams too. Mathis is good, but he is injury prone. Throw Bush out there on punt returns and pair him with Mathis on kickoff returns.

And is it any coincidence that the teams on the bottom of that list of scoring, Ravens, Jets, Texans, 49ers, Browns, Saints, Bills, all have issues at quarterback? Or any coincidence that the Vikings scoring went down from 25.3 last year with Moss to 17.1 this year without Moss? The Raiders went up to 22.4 a game, a modest raise of 2.4. But the season isn't over, they could use the rest of the year to figure out how to use him to get him in the end zone to raise that average. Plus the Raiders are also on the "Issues at Quarterback List."

Ones thing for sure though, when you take a playmaker like that off a team, you will definitely see a difference. Mike Vick is on that list and there is a quarterback who plays college in Texas who is on that list. Bush is someone versatile who can stretch the field. LT, but a better receiver, especially wide. Santana Moss potential at receiver. Colleges now recruit "Athletes." Well one of those "Athletes" is coming to the NFL.

"It's like he gets shot out of a cannon" and if you catch him, IF YOU DO, he'll make a move on you. Teams might want to double or press this guy, maybe both. This could free get AJ more 1-1 coverage. Opening up running lanes. He is just one of those guys who is literally a threat to take it to the house every time. Has flashes of Barry Sanders when he runs. He can make a 2 yard loss turn into a 5 yard gain in 10 minutes.

The Texans Should Pair Up Reggie Bush and Vince Young

The Dolphins got their running back last year and will get their guy who takes snaps in April. Matt Leinart. They got Ronnie Brown, "The Best Young Running Back In Football.................................Before A Man Named Reggie Bush Came Along," last year.
They have an excellent #2 back who is definitely above average. Ricky has potential to be the best in the business. Wait! That's sounds like Reggie Bush and Vincent Young. Guys who have the potential to be the best in the business at their position. They have done it in college and there is an expectation not the think otherwise in the NFL.

But about Bush:
I think BUSH could lead to the new generation of “athletes” maybe the “new generation fullbacks." Guys who are receivers, runners, blockers as opposed to blockers, runners, receivers.

We also need to draft a Tight End
Guess how many catches our Tight ENDS have this year. Take a guess…….
We have..........8! 8 CATCHES TOTAL ALL YEAR BY OUR TIGHT ENDS! Antonio Gates............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......................................51. Sorry about that, just wanted remind the OWNER/new gm/current gm/morons to see that you might not want to stick complete crap out at one position.

The Solution:
DRAFTING DAVID THOMAS IN THE THIRD ROUND.

If you can’t get him, Dominique Byrd is another good one rumored to be drafted in the same area. He has very good hands and can move too. Leonard Pope would be another good option but I have seen that he is going in the first round.

A value pick late or good free agent pick up would be Bristol Olomua out of Texas Tech. He fits the mold of the NFL tight ends of today, a big guy that can block and catch the football with success. 6’5 259. Has experience lining up in the slot in Leach’s offense. Has at least one reception in every game this season. And he's averaging 11.7 yards per reception. I know it's Tech's offense, but that's good and he's probably close to that average. He would be a good pick in the 7th or picked up after the draft. Kinda like what the TITANS did last year in the 6th in picking up Bo Scaife. Scaife, the TITANS #2 tight end has 9 catches!

Final Score:
Tennessee Titan rookie 6th round draft pick back up Bo Scaife 9
Houston Texan TIGHT ENDS 8

And just a reminder of our score against one player on the Chargers:
Antonio Gate 51
Houston Texans 8

Good tight ends like Gates, Witten, Shockey, Alge Crumpler, Gonzalez; all are important key players in their offense.

We will get to see one of the Top 5 TEs in the league tonight in Tony Gonzalez.

The new Tight End coach, who should it be?
Keith Jackson
Jay Novacek
Keith Jackson
I see a trend here, Novacek, but to coach the Tight Ends this time is my suggestion.

The new coach, Jimmy Johnson, would of course be responsible for bringing in Novacek…
Or at least that is my wish so we can finally get him off the walls of Sports Clips. Why would a barbershop have a guy with a mullet as its spokesman? That’s like hiring Ray Charles as a museum curator.

Jimmy Johnson has been a winner everywhere he has been. Bring him in and let him bring in all the people he wants. If he wants to be GM, let him be GM too. He turned around the Cowboys, a team in Texas. Let him turn around the Texans, Texas’ Team. And let Houston, Texas’ own, Vince Young, lead that team.

Old 11-20-2005   #2
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

If Reggie doesnt start hitting the faster

instead of , NFL linebackers are going to be putting him on a
Old 11-20-2005   #3
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

That was pretty funny. I think we should all talk through pictures now.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005   #4
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Actually I agree with everything except for the coach part and that is just because I don't think it will happen with them. I have been screaming for Dave Thomas all year and I certainly hope that kid is in a Texans uniform. There is no doubt to me, that he is the best in the nation that doesn't get much pub.

As for Bush, man this Fresno St. game solidified to me that he belongs on this team. Our second best deep threat plays one game and misses three and our starting running back gets hurt by weeks 6-8 and is out for a while. Having a guy with the ability to play WR and RB allows us to make up for the difference if one of these other guys is out. The only thing I see with it is that Vernand Morency and John Wells have to get eliminated. Automatically people would assume just let Wells go but he has improved over his career, is a super special teams player, has a great attitude, does a decent back up job for us, plays with great emotion and is our biggest RB for short yardage situations. Morency still hasn't shown everything because our coaches don't put him out there enough, but he is no Bush.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005   #5
Gunbuny
Rookie

You know I like the way you put together your argument. There is only one thing. WITH THIS POROUS O-Line, any TE we draft had better be REALLY good at blocking b/c that is all he will be able to do! Until Gates, Heap, Gonzales, and any other premier TE in the NFL get the pleasure of smudging the Lombardi Trophy on Super Bowl Sunday, I am not that interested in seeing us go all out for one of these type of guys. As for Bush, I am in agreement with a lot of the folks who post on this site, Bush has not proven he is durable enough for the punishment of a 16 game nfl season. I think he is a product of the system. I don't see the need to spend a 1st rd pick on a position that does not have the primary job of keeping David Carr's spine from being snapped in two by a 300-lb D-Lineman baring down on him like a charging rhino. I am so tired of seeing Carr drop back and after 2 seconds I am screaming at the TV for him to throw the **** thing. I now close my eyes when he gets sacked. DC has been very lucky he has not sustained a truly severe injury from all the whiplash-like hits he has taken for almost 4yrs now. How long do you think that luck will last??? If it ain't an O-Lineman, I don't wanna hear his name come out of the commissioner's mouth at all on the first day of the draft when he is announcing our picks. All you guys who keep pointing at Bush and every other flashy skill-position player in college and swearing that they are the cure to our ills are forgetting one important thing: Carr can't throw touchdown passes if defenses are all taking turns doing their best Kevin Goldberg imitation by spearing HIM!!!!!! If I am wrong, look this up: what position got the biggest jump in salary percentage-wise when free-agency became a reality??? A:OFFENSIVE LINEMEN! They enjoyed over a 300% increase in salary immediately!!! Why? Good O-Lines keep QB's off the IR list!!!! THe reason why Minnesota is doing so poorly this year has nothing to do with Randy Moss being a Raider. The reason is Birk is on IR with a bad hip. Surprise! the center IS important some might even say Vital to success!!! Who do you think calls the blocking schemes, the RB? NOT!!! The Jets might have been able to salvage their season with back-up QB's had Mawai not gotten injured. Look at all the teams that are playing poorly, and you will see that they are all missing or let leave via free agency very good Offensive linemen!! GB, Minn, US, NY Jets, NE. On the NFL Network, even the Patriots QB Brady said he is most concerned with the loss of his starting Center, followed by other starting offensive linemen. He didn't seem nearl;y as concerned with losing Rodney Harrison or the rest of his starting secondary.Have you ever noticed how the teams with the best records always seem to be sending their offensive linemen to Hawaii the week after the Superbowl???? I would rather have an All-Pro offensive lineman than an All-pro RB or WR or TE. Emmitt Smith was NOT the best RB of his era, Barry Sanders was, but who got the luxury of one of the best O-Lines of the era??? Funny how that same guy holds the record for all time rushing yards. Same with Jerry Rice. He holds all those nearly unbreakable records in part (and its a big part) to O-Lines that gave Montana, and Young time to find him and throw him the ball.:brickwall

Last edited by Gunbuny; 11-20-2005 at 04:31 AM.
Gunbuny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005   #6
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

I have advocated more than anybody that Carr needs protection, but when you draft us high as were going to draft you have to take the best player available regardless of position. In Carr's rookie season he broke the sack record, would you have liked us to pass up a player of AJ's caliber. No offense to DD, but Bush is a homerun threat and would help to keep defenses honest. Think about it, besides AJ who else on our team is a true consistent homerun threat. All teams have to do is double down on AJ and bring the House. Thats not going to change with a rookie LT. With a player of Bush's caliber, they would have to account for two playmakers and we could still be able to pull a good LT out of the second round. This is supposed to be one of the most deepest rounds in recent memory with Olineman. I would hate for us to waste a 1st round pick. Oh Yeah after tonight Bush isn't a product of the system, he is the system. If anything Matt is the product of the system since he is consistently surrounded by blue chip talent. Also I think reggie fits perfect into our system. How many times does david dump off to DD, could you imagine Reggie catching those passes, plus we could still put DD in the back field and line Reggie out As WR every once in a while, he is so versitile

- Edmund Burke

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 11-20-2005 at 05:11 AM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005   #7
phan1
All Pro

LOL! Sorry man, but you are living in fantasy land!

First of all, I really don't think we'll get a high enough draft pick to get Reggie Bush. Have you looked at our schedule for the rest of the season? I bet we'll win 2 more games at least. 49ers will proabably have that pick and they're definitely going to go after Bush after having drafted Alex Smith last year (will that make 2 years in a row that they got the 1st pick?). I highly doubt we'll be able to draft him. And if we are able to, than I believe we'll take him. We can still pick a high-calibur LT in the draft is we can deal. Trading our draft picks for Buchanon is probably the stupidest thing we've ever done.

Secondly, the jury is very much out on Vince Young. He does not have an NFL calibur arm in my opinion, and this is coming from a total UT fan! I just don't believe he can throw the ball like an NFL QB should. He has the luxury of being able to play with some good WRs and TEs, and also probably the best line in college football. The combine will show that in the future. Reggie Mcneal of A&M would probably go higher than him if they were to go to the draft together.

And as for Jimmy Johnson coming to Houston to be our head coach, I wouldn't hold my breath. I would love for him to come coach here, but it's just likely NOT going to happen. There's a couple teams who would like new head coaches as well. What makes Houston so appealing that would make Jimmy Johnson come out of retirement?

Hey listen, we just gotta make due with the hand your dealt. I'm sure all the other 32 teams in the NFL would like to have Reggie Bush and Vince Young too. It's all about having good management and being able to do the most with what you've got. This ain fantasy football where you can hand-pick your own team. "Hey, I'd like the Texans to trade for Brett Favre and get TO and than draft Reggie Bush. And hey, let's get Barry Sanders and Laurence Taylor to come out of retirement for us too."
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-20-2005   #8
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

im not living in fantasy land, my argument wasn't wether we should take bush over a olineman, but I believe we should take the best player available at that spot and thats not going to be a LT. Theres just to many good players in this draft. Also you shouldn't just look at the schedule and say the 49ers are going to have less wins then us. I remember plenty of people looking at the schedule in the offseason and saying we were going to be 10-6 (saw how that turned out ) The 49ers play in a weaker division and a weaker conference, so who's to know whos going to pick in front of who

- Edmund Burke
Old 11-20-2005   #9
phan1
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb
im not living in fantasy land, my argument wasn't wether we should take bush over a olineman, but I believe we should take the best player available at that spot and thats not going to be a LT. Theres just to many good players in this draft. Also you shouldn't just look at the schedule and say the 49ers are going to have less wins then us. I remember plenty of people looking at the schedule in the offseason and saying we were going to be 10-6 (saw how that turned out ) The 49ers play in a weaker division and a weaker conference, so who's to know whos going to pick in front of who
Well, we both agree that if Bush becomes available to us, we should definitely take him. He is arguably the best running back to have ever played college football. We just can't pass on that. Especially now that Pitts has shown himself to be reliable to put it mildly. But as for getting Vince Young or Jimmy Johnson, I think you're looking too far ahead man. I hope we don't even get the chance to get Young because if we do, that means we're going to suck for a couple years at least.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005   #10
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

The v. Young or J. Johnson talk must of happened while I was in boot camp I don't even know what all yall people are talking about. Where are all these J. Johnson romors are comming from. (that would be great, he always had a eye for talent.)

- Edmund Burke
Old 11-20-2005   #11
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I think the only way that we don't pick D'Brick or who ever the best available OT in the draft is if we sign one before the draft. Regardless of whether it is through the draft or through FA, the OL MUST BE ADDRESSED. You can't keep the line we have and assume that Reggie Bush or any other position player is going to magically make the line much better because it won't happen.
Old 11-20-2005   #12
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Awww where did MY pretty pictures go???
Old 11-20-2005   #13
yaboycm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phan1
Hey listen, we just gotta make due with the hand your dealt. I'm sure all the other 32 teams in the NFL would like to have Reggie Bush and Vince Young too. It's all about having good management and being able to do the most with what you've got. This ain fantasy football where you can hand-pick your own team. "Hey, I'd like the Texans to trade for Brett Favre and get TO and than draft Reggie Bush. And hey, let's get Barry Sanders and Laurence Taylor to come out of retirement for us too."
The difference is my scenario is possible. Just like last year, Dolphin fans were probably saying hey, we got Ronnie Brown. Now all we need is a quarterback. Maybe Leinart? Looks like they might get Leinart.

Same with 49er fans. Smith and Bush.

You can trade up to get Young next year if you don't have #1 pick.

Draft lineman in second round this year and 5th-6th round.
Old 11-20-2005   #14
yaboycm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phan1
I hope we don't even get the chance to get Young because if we do, that means we're going to suck for a couple years at least.
Reality check. We will
Old 11-20-2005   #15
yaboycm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
I think the only way that we don't pick D'Brick or who ever the best available OT in the draft is if we sign one before the draft. Regardless of whether it is through the draft or through FA, the OL MUST BE ADDRESSED. You can't keep the line we have and assume that Reggie Bush or any other position player is going to magically make the line much better because it won't happen.
Agreed. Sign a lineman and draft one in the second round. Problem addressed.
Old 11-20-2005   #16
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Alex Smith and Reggie Bush played together on the same High School team.
Old 11-20-2005   #17
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Alex Smith and Reggie Bush played together on the same High School team.
What a sick highschool team!

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005   #18
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:

Actually a good running back does make a line better look at SD last year talk about a makeshift line now you would consider them pro bowlers not that Bush is LT but he can be some thing special and we aleady let alot of speacial players pass J.Peppers C.Portis A.Boldin i could go but i wont i dont think the new GM will let that happen Again.
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005   #19
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

You also have to take into account that SD had one of the best offensive line coaches in the league. You also have to say that 30 other teams passed on Portis and Bolden since they were 2nd and 3rd round picks.
Old 11-21-2005   #20
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaboycm
As I went to type something that would eventually end up on "how the Texans should draft Vincent Young," Reggie Bush popped on my television doing what it seems he does every game, run for a touchdown over 50 yards. Reminding me that this is what the Texans need, among other things.
Bush's previous 4 games before blowing up on Fresno State...

Washington - 8 carries, 51 yards, 1 TD
Washington State - 17 carries, 97 yards, 0 TDs
Stanford - 12 carries, 113 yards, 1 TD
California - 17 carries, 82 yards, 0 TDs

But I can see how many would think he is arguably the best running back to have ever played college football.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read