Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-19-2005   #1
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Aaron Glenn

AJ posted a link to this article on HPF and I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone thought over here.
Here is an excerpt:

IRVING -- Aaron Glenn couldn't take it in Houston any more.

He was tired of the losing and the dreary environment that surrounded the expansion Texans. The once feel-good return to his hometown had soured.

"Yeah, it was a beating," Glenn said. "The atmosphere, winning, the players ... everything is great here."

Glenn, in his 12th season, needed a change and the Cowboys needed veteran depth at cornerback. Nothing seemed more right in the twilight of his long and successful career than a reunion with coach Bill Parcells.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005   #2
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/football/13211499.htm

Forgot the link.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005   #3
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 77507 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
AJ posted a link to this article on HPF and I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone thought over here.
Here is an excerpt:

He was tired of the losing and the dreary environment that surrounded the expansion Texans. The once feel-good return to his hometown had soured.

"Yeah, it was a beating," Glenn said. "The atmosphere, winning, the players ... everything is great here."

Glenn, in his 12th season, needed a change and the Cowboys needed veteran depth at cornerback. Nothing seemed more right in the twilight of his long and successful career than a reunion with coach Bill Parcells.
I imagine several of our better players have the same feelings about being here. I just hope McNair can get things turned around before we have a mass exodus of players the first chance they get.
Old 11-20-2005   #4
HoustonFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan
Send a message via AIM to HoustonFan Send a message via MSN to HoustonFan Send a message via Yahoo to HoustonFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
Here is an excerpt:

I hate that he feels that way. I got that vibe about Jamie Sharper as well. I miss these guys on defense here. I really hope the attitude of this team is a different one next year. I would take a win now mentality and be ok at 4-5 right now than 1-8.
Old 11-20-2005   #5
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

What I see is a writer telling us what HE thought Glenn was feeling, and then Glenn making positive comments about the Cowboys. Only one minor "beating" reference, which isn't that big of a deal considering how he got dumped at the end of the offseason following the P-Burnt trade.

More spin on vague substance. Sportswriting's really getting to new lows lately. I was sorry to see him go, but he hasn't exactly been a stud up there--so like him, I'm over it.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005   #6
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 375231 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking sarcasm alert

"dreary environment"?! WTF? On a Dom Capers team?! Un-be-lievable!

It's not surprising. I've had a good friend who lives in South Carolina that used the word "dreary" to describe the last year of Coach Capers head coaching tenure there, and this was when we signed him as our HC. He's not a fiery motivator, and his personality is all over this team's attitude.

Before people start flaming Aaron Glenn, ask yourself: what would motivate Glenn to make this stuff up? Especially when we've heard other former Texans say the same thing.
Old 11-20-2005   #7
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

"Dreary environment" is a good description. Just listen to Capers when he is giving a "pep" talk to the team. Capers exudes pep about like a snail on downers.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-20-2005   #8
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanExile
What I see is a writer telling us what HE thought Glenn was feeling, and then Glenn making positive comments about the Cowboys. Only one minor "beating" reference, which isn't that big of a deal considering how he got dumped at the end of the offseason following the P-Burnt trade.

More spin on vague substance. Sportswriting's really getting to new lows lately. I was sorry to see him go, but he hasn't exactly been a stud up there--so like him, I'm over it.
Perhaps you missed this quote: ""Sometimes you've got people that can outsmart themselves," Glenn said. "Sometimes people don't understand that. Losing can take a lot out of you especially when you've been around for a long time. And the atmosphere can take a lot out of you."

Losing atmosphere (and that was during a 7-9 season) and people (take your pick on who he's talking about --Capers, Casserly, or Fangio) "that can outsmart themselves," presumably by getting cute on draft day or making defensive schemes too complicated, or both. Not vague at all - on the contrary, it's quite telling and the reason that an overhaul is needed.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005   #9
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Glenn left a team which won 7 games for another team which won even fewer
games, atleast in the 2004 season. So not sure what his logic process was at the time if he wanted to go play for a team with a winning record but selected one with less wins than the team he left ? Of course the Cowboys turned things around this year, but he couldn't know that would happen before the season started. I suspect he left because the Texans wanted him to restructure and play as a backup while Parcels was coaching a team in the region near his home. No matter, I'm happy things worked out for him "this year".
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005   #10
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

It wasn't much of a choice really. And it's no coicidence that Glenn, Sharper, Wright and McCree are all making big contributions to playoff teams. And that Derrick Johnson looks to be perinniel Pro Bowler. Or that the team's management team constantly trades away the future of the team for bad players. Or constantly overpays for below-average Free Agents. Or refuses to upgrade one of worst offensive line in the NFL 4 years running. NFL players aren't stupid (not all of them anyway), they can see what's going on also.

It will be interesting to see if Gaffney wants to stick around after this season. My guess is that he is as ready to get out of this town, as many of the other Texans probably are.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005   #11
Doom Capers
Veteran

He hasn't been doing much to help his new team win. He looks worse than he did last year.
Doom Capers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005   #12
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

He won the game for the Cowboys against the Chargers breaking up a pass in the endzone on 4th down.

Today he had a returned interception for a TD called back because of a penalty.

He's doing fine.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005   #13
phan1
All Pro

Well that can be expected. Winning make EVERYTHINTG better. And I mean EVERYTHING. Remember the tension with the new head coach of the Giants (forgot his name)? They win some games and then everything is fine. Look at the TO situation in Philly. If they were winning, there wouldn't be any problems over there. And if we were winning here everyone in that lockeroom would be happy as well.

Winning fixes many ailments, and it's only natural for Aaron Glenn to feel that way.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005   #14
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Perhaps you missed this quote: ""Sometimes you've got people that can outsmart themselves," Glenn said. "Sometimes people don't understand that. Losing can take a lot out of you especially when you've been around for a long time. And the atmosphere can take a lot out of you."
Yup, you're right, I didn't see that quote. I didn't read the article--just the quote in the thread. That definitely substantiates the spin, and I agree that he's been proven right by this season's pitiful results. I still doubt whether Glenn leaves Houston without the PB trade happening. That deflates his claim to some sort of active role in the whole mess. He left because he was pushed out, not because of the "atmosphere."
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005   #15
Erratic Assassin
All Pro

Rep Power: 13 Erratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
""Sometimes you've got people that can outsmart themselves," Glenn said.

people (take your pick on who he's talking about --Capers, Casserly, or Fangio) "that can outsmart themselves," presumably by getting cute on draft day or making defensive schemes too complicated, or both.
He must be talking about Casserly: passing on Julius Peppers because he doesn't "fit our system", drafting Chester Pitts with Clinton Portis on the board, giving up extra draft picks for Jason Babin and Phillip Buchanon, drafting Joppru, drafting Travis Johnson instead of Derrick Johnson. Year after year Casserly makes me scratch my head wondering WTH he's thinking. 4 years of "getting cute on draft day" have finally caught up with us.

Apparently Glenn has been feeling the same frustration many of us feel every April.

I wish we could get Floyd Reese. He picks the no-brainer guy every time. He doesn't try to get cute, he just makes solid picks.
Erratic Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read