Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Aaron Glenn

bckey

All Pro
AJ posted a link to this article on HPF and I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone thought over here.
Here is an excerpt:

IRVING -- Aaron Glenn couldn't take it in Houston any more.

He was tired of the losing and the dreary environment that surrounded the expansion Texans. The once feel-good return to his hometown had soured.

"Yeah, it was a beating," Glenn said. "The atmosphere, winning, the players ... everything is great here."

Glenn, in his 12th season, needed a change and the Cowboys needed veteran depth at cornerback. Nothing seemed more right in the twilight of his long and successful career than a reunion with coach Bill Parcells.

bckey said:
AJ posted a link to this article on HPF and I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone thought over here.
Here is an excerpt:

He was tired of the losing and the dreary environment that surrounded the expansion Texans. The once feel-good return to his hometown had soured.

"Yeah, it was a beating," Glenn said. "The atmosphere, winning, the players ... everything is great here."

Glenn, in his 12th season, needed a change and the Cowboys needed veteran depth at cornerback. Nothing seemed more right in the twilight of his long and successful career than a reunion with coach Bill Parcells.

I imagine several of our better players have the same feelings about being here. I just hope McNair can get things turned around before we have a mass exodus of players the first chance they get.

bckey said:
Here is an excerpt:

I hate that he feels that way. I got that vibe about Jamie Sharper as well. I miss these guys on defense here. I really hope the attitude of this team is a different one next year. I would take a win now mentality and be ok at 4-5 right now than 1-8.

What I see is a writer telling us what HE thought Glenn was feeling, and then Glenn making positive comments about the Cowboys. Only one minor "beating" reference, which isn't that big of a deal considering how he got dumped at the end of the offseason following the P-Burnt trade.

More spin on vague substance. Sportswriting's really getting to new lows lately. I was sorry to see him go, but he hasn't exactly been a stud up there--so like him, I'm over it.

"dreary environment"?! WTF? On a Dom Capers team?! Un-be-lievable! :um:

It's not surprising. I've had a good friend who lives in South Carolina that used the word "dreary" to describe the last year of Coach Capers head coaching tenure there, and this was when we signed him as our HC. He's not a fiery motivator, and his personality is all over this team's attitude.

Before people start flaming Aaron Glenn, ask yourself: what would motivate Glenn to make this stuff up? Especially when we've heard other former Texans say the same thing.

"Dreary environment" is a good description. Just listen to Capers when he is giving a "pep" talk to the team. Capers exudes pep about like a snail on downers.

TexanExile said:
What I see is a writer telling us what HE thought Glenn was feeling, and then Glenn making positive comments about the Cowboys. Only one minor "beating" reference, which isn't that big of a deal considering how he got dumped at the end of the offseason following the P-Burnt trade.

More spin on vague substance. Sportswriting's really getting to new lows lately. I was sorry to see him go, but he hasn't exactly been a stud up there--so like him, I'm over it.

Perhaps you missed this quote: ""Sometimes you've got people that can outsmart themselves," Glenn said. "Sometimes people don't understand that. Losing can take a lot out of you especially when you've been around for a long time. And the atmosphere can take a lot out of you."

Losing atmosphere (and that was during a 7-9 season) and people (take your pick on who he's talking about --Capers, Casserly, or Fangio) "that can outsmart themselves," presumably by getting cute on draft day or making defensive schemes too complicated, or both. Not vague at all - on the contrary, it's quite telling and the reason that an overhaul is needed.

Glenn left a team which won 7 games for another team which won even fewer
games, atleast in the 2004 season. So not sure what his logic process was at the time if he wanted to go play for a team with a winning record but selected one with less wins than the team he left ? Of course the Cowboys turned things around this year, but he couldn't know that would happen before the season started. I suspect he left because the Texans wanted him to restructure and play as a backup while Parcels was coaching a team in the region near his home. No matter, I'm happy things worked out for him "this year".

It wasn't much of a choice really. And it's no coicidence that Glenn, Sharper, Wright and McCree are all making big contributions to playoff teams. And that Derrick Johnson looks to be perinniel Pro Bowler. Or that the team's management team constantly trades away the future of the team for bad players. Or constantly overpays for below-average Free Agents. Or refuses to upgrade one of worst offensive line in the NFL 4 years running. NFL players aren't stupid (not all of them anyway), they can see what's going on also.

It will be interesting to see if Gaffney wants to stick around after this season. My guess is that he is as ready to get out of this town, as many of the other Texans probably are.

He won the game for the Cowboys against the Chargers breaking up a pass in the endzone on 4th down.

Today he had a returned interception for a TD called back because of a penalty.

He's doing fine.

Well that can be expected. Winning make EVERYTHINTG better. And I mean EVERYTHING. Remember the tension with the new head coach of the Giants (forgot his name)? They win some games and then everything is fine. Look at the TO situation in Philly. If they were winning, there wouldn't be any problems over there. And if we were winning here everyone in that lockeroom would be happy as well.

Winning fixes many ailments, and it's only natural for Aaron Glenn to feel that way.

aj. said:
Perhaps you missed this quote: ""Sometimes you've got people that can outsmart themselves," Glenn said. "Sometimes people don't understand that. Losing can take a lot out of you especially when you've been around for a long time. And the atmosphere can take a lot out of you."

Yup, you're right, I didn't see that quote. I didn't read the article--just the quote in the thread. That definitely substantiates the spin, and I agree that he's been proven right by this season's pitiful results. I still doubt whether Glenn leaves Houston without the PB trade happening. That deflates his claim to some sort of active role in the whole mess. He left because he was pushed out, not because of the "atmosphere."

aj. said:
""Sometimes you've got people that can outsmart themselves," Glenn said.

people (take your pick on who he's talking about --Capers, Casserly, or Fangio) "that can outsmart themselves," presumably by getting cute on draft day or making defensive schemes too complicated, or both.

He must be talking about Casserly: passing on Julius Peppers because he doesn't "fit our system", drafting Chester Pitts with Clinton Portis on the board, giving up extra draft picks for Jason Babin and Phillip Buchanon, drafting Joppru, drafting Travis Johnson instead of Derrick Johnson. Year after year Casserly makes me scratch my head wondering WTH he's thinking. 4 years of "getting cute on draft day" have finally caught up with us.

Apparently Glenn has been feeling the same frustration many of us feel every April.

I wish we could get Floyd Reese. He picks the no-brainer guy every time. He doesn't try to get cute, he just makes solid picks.

Back