Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-19-2005   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80254 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Pitts - Long Term Answer at Left Tackle

There's a Houston Chronicle article that indicates that Chester Pitts is the long term answer at Left Tackle.

I agree with it completely. Not only has he played the position very well, and IMO, proved it last week against Freeney, but his penalties have dropped off.

And something that is very much overlooked. He's durable. The only player to start every single game for the Texans, and the only offensive lineman in the NFL who hasn't missed a snap since the 2002 season.

I think this fixation or obsession with getting an LT in next year's draft should be reconsidered.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005   #2
Scribe
Rookie

Default Per Chronicle, Pitts permanent left tackle?

There's an article in today's Houston Chronicle suggesting that the Texans may have found their permanent left tackle - Chester Pitts - and that this may change what they're planning to do with the top pick in the draft.

The article quotes Pitts talking about the difference in playing tackle and guard, but it didn't seem to address how he feels about the idea of being the permanent solution at LT. Thoughts?
Old 11-19-2005   #3
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it will be a HUGE mistake if the Texans decide Pitts is the LT of their future. They will blow another draft thinking their problems are solved at LT and draft a guard in the 5th round or so and pass up one of the best drafts for T in years. That is if Capers/Casserly are still around. Hopefully a new regime will see differently.

Take D'Brick and be done with it. Put Pitts at RT, Wiegert at LG, McKinney at RG, and D Hog at C. Bench Herman Munster and cut Riley and Wand. Any other OL that we take later in the draft would be a bonus. We could get lucky for a change.

I'm not saying Pitts is bad at LT. He is good. I am saying we have a chance to get an elite LT and we should do it. Pitts and D'Brick could be our book ends for years.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005   #4
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
Pitts and D'Brick could be our book ends for years.
Herman Munster
I like this thinking but take a look at Herman's contract - if you dare. I'm not going any further because all this will do is lead me right into my soap box about why we need a new GM.

Okay, I'm weak and can't help it....six-years $30 million....like Walker, signed through '09 which means his $10 million signing bonus will count $1.7 million in dead money on the cap for every freaking year prior to and including '09 that he doesn't play for the Texans. Walker and Robaire have basically the same deals.

Last edited by aj.; 11-19-2005 at 11:05 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005   #5
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe
There's an article in today's Houston Chronicle suggesting that the Texans may have found their permanent left tackle - Chester Pitts - and that this may change what they're planning to do with the top pick in the draft.

The article quotes Pitts talking about the difference in playing tackle and guard, but it didn't seem to address how he feels about the idea of being the permanent solution at LT. Thoughts?
Are you kidding? He's always wanted that spot for the money. In fact I have felt he hurt Wand while playing LG. That's just one man's opinion though.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005   #6
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Below is the link to the Chronicle story refered to at the top of this thread.
"If Pitts can continue his strong play in the next seven games, the Texans' plans in the upcoming NFL draft will likely change. Instead of using one of their top picks on a left tackle, the Texans could fill another area of need."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3471218.html
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005   #7
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Pitts and am glad we have signed to a long term deal. This article seems to be more about positioning in next year's draft. The more teams think we will go with Lienart or Bush the more likely trade offers will be coming our way. Our need is on Offensive line and overall depth.
Old 11-19-2005   #8
uhcougar08
SHSUKATS08

Pitts was on 610 last week and he said something about he liked playing there. Its good that he will be the future, it means we can focus more on other positions in the draft and F/A's.
Old 11-19-2005   #9
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope that the people who are making that decision are not currently employeed by the texans.

My biggest issue is if Pitts were the best LT on the team why was he not there for a year and half while your larger investment is getting killed.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005   #10
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

But if Chester continues to perform effectively at LT the rest of this year,
then that leaves us in the enviable position of truly being able to draft the BPA in the first round of Aprils draft. If the big Virginia tackle is on the Board, take him if he's the best. But maybe Bush or Hawk is rated higher and is also available to us - then we might want to go in that direction. It would also
give us more ability to trade down for multiple picks if we don't have to target one individual.
Old 11-19-2005   #11
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Instead of using one of their top picks on a left tackle, the Texans could fill another area of need."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3471218.html
Oh, yay. They'll take another DE to play OLB.

I do think Pitts should stay at LT though. AND USE THAT PICK FOR SOMETHING ELSE ON THE O-LINE....OK, replacing P-Burnt would be alright.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005   #12
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Combined the Pitts threads.
Old 11-19-2005   #13
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigTEXan8
One team that might be interested in that spot is Oakland. If they don't pick up Kollins option next year, they have $11.9 million extra cap space. I think we're getting a lineman irregardless this upcoming draft.
How about Gallery, Porter and their #1 for our #1 and Wade? I can dream can't I, since I have put zero research into this.
Old 11-19-2005   #14
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
My biggest issue is if Pitts were the best LT on the team why was he not there for a year and half while your larger investment is getting killed.
That's what I'm saying, but I think Cass & Capers are starting to rationalize this snafu by saying that Chester wouldn't have been this good at LT had they not played him a year at guard. I don't think they will go so far as to say this was by design, but don't put it past them.
Old 11-19-2005   #15
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

A part of this kind of worked out in the Texans favor financially. When they extended Chester, he was playing guard. He didn't get anywhere near premium left tackle money. Then they shift him back to tackle. I like Chester. He's our best o-lineman and may have finally found his niche at tackle - R or L.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005   #16
ArlingtonTexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
That's what I'm saying, but I think Cass & Capers are starting to rationalize this snafu by saying that Chester wouldn't have been this good at LT had they not played him a year at guard. I don't think they will go so far as to say this was by design, but don't put it past them.
It makes good sense for the Texans to look at "what if" options, so it is not unreasonable for them to consider Pitts long-term at LT. IMO, it is 50/50 that the texans will win themselves out of the top three or four spots. If Ferguson is gone and the next guy is a noticable step down, trading doen is not as easy or automatic as some fans think.

My fear becomes justifying keeping too many pieces of the current OL.
Old 11-19-2005   #17
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Hey if he works out there then lets get some good guards. I dont care who plays where, when whatever, just get this thing fixed.
Old 11-19-2005   #18
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

if he continues to play well at LT why move him again...keep him there trade down in the draft and pick up mario williams and additional picks...grab davin joseph to play next to him and call the left side of the line done...davin joseph is a monster of a lineman at OU...mario williams is the best DE to come into the draft since julius peppers
Old 11-19-2005   #19
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

I'm torn on what to do with our 1st pick if Pitts continues his level of play at LT. He's playing like a good NFL starter at LT, IMO. Why fix it if it's broken? No doubt, if Ferguson has the potential to become an Orlando Pace type, he would still improve our team greatly in the long term at the most important position on the OLine. We need to address the offensive line early and often in the draft, regardless of whether we keep Pitts at LT. I wouldn't mind seeng us pick up a dominant guard on the first day of the draft. If we decide not to draft a premier tackle in the 1st round, we could address cornerback, or even finally pick up a #2 receiver to go with AJ. If we end up with a top 3 pick and don't have anyone in particular targetted, it would be beneficial to trade down and address as many areas as possible.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005   #20
sensei
Rookie

I haven't even bothered to watch my tapes of the last two games. My question is: How much help is Pitts getting? If we have to assign someone to help on every play then he is not the answer to our problems.

sensei
sensei is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read