Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-16-2005   #1
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro
Default 4-3 DE's in FA?

does anyone know who will be available this offseason in FA at the defensive end position?

and what do ya'll think about possibly trading gary walker to new orleans for howard?

the saints need a strong DT to help mould sullivan after...the boy is getting worse after being the first DT taken in the draft a couple of years ago
Old 11-16-2005   #2
CowboysTexansFan
Veteran

John Abraham of the Jets may be available, but the Jets may sign him to a long-term deal or put the franchise tag on him again.
CowboysTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005   #3
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

DE is probably the only stable position. Robaire has been solid, and (when healthy) Walker is above average. DT should be the position sought after.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005   #4
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

I think he is implying that we will be switching to a 43 defense under the new regime. go to foxsports.com and they have an upcoming FA link you can check out.
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005   #5
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

So will we let Walker go and have TJ at LE or have him at DT and sign a LE? Or will we sign Eric Crouch to play safety?
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005   #6
keyfro
Hall of Fame

coach c. i don't see where they have a list of the 2006 free agents
Old 11-17-2005   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

A ton of guys will be signed by the time FA's are officially declared. Most of the better prospects will eventually sign with their current teams so don't expect many big names when it comes right down to it. Here are a few key dates for the off-season.

February 23 - Waiver system begins

- Deadline (4:00 p.m. ET) for clubs to
designate Franchise & Transition players

March 2 - Expiration date of all player contracts
due to expire in 2006

March 3 - Free Agency period begins

- Trading period begins for 2006 after
expiration of all 2005 contracts

March 26-30 - NFL Annual Meeting - Orlando

April 21 - Deadline for signing of offer sheets
by restricted free agents

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-17-2005   #8
Dre_80
Rookie

Just a few 4-3 FA-Ends:

DE John Abraham
DE Raheem Brock
DE Robert Mathis (RFA)
DE Kyle Vanden Bosch
DE Carlos Hall
DE Darren Howard
Dre_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005   #9
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre_80
Just a few 4-3 FA-Ends:

DE John Abraham
DE Raheem Brock
DE Robert Mathis (RFA)
DE Kyle Vanden Bosch
DE Carlos Hall
DE Darren Howard
those are studs and will probally be resigned by their respective teams.
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005   #10
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

Shurron Pierson, might be a good back up and get to start one day, the reason i metion him is because he had pretty good numbers and the combine, but i mgiht be wrong, tell me what yall think

hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005   #11
keyfro
Hall of Fame

for some reason i doubt that the colts will be able to re-sign both brock and mathis because they have to sign james and wayne
Old 11-17-2005   #12
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
for some reason i doubt that the colts will be able to re-sign both brock and mathis because they have to sign james and wayne
This doesnt really pertain to those players in particular, but something has to give sometime. They have way to much talent making tons of money, they have to start letting some people walk eventually dont they? I dont really pretend to know what Im talking about when it comes to cap numbers and stuff but I wouldnt think Im too wrong about this.
Old 11-17-2005   #13
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevil63
This doesnt really pertain to those players in particular, but something has to give sometime. They have way to much talent making tons of money, they have to start letting some people walk eventually dont they? I dont really pretend to know what Im talking about when it comes to cap numbers and stuff but I wouldnt think Im too wrong about this.
your not...but i would only want mathis, and only if we switched to a 4-3. he is smaller than our tweeners, but gets the job done regardless.
Old 11-17-2005   #14
Dre_80
Rookie

Freeney, 3 time Pro Bowler, will also ask for a new contract. They cant pay Freeney, Mathis AND Brock. How about John Abraham? The Jets are stacked @ DE. They have Shaun Ellis, John Abraham and Bryan Thomas (former 1st round pick). And the Saints cant afford Darren Howard because in 04 they drafted DE Will Smith who will be their starting DE in 06 next to Charles Grant.
Dre_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005   #15
royce1054
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to royce1054 Send a message via Yahoo to royce1054

I hope we dont go 4-3.
The best D IMO goes
then 4-3
royce1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005   #16
Panther5407
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre_80
Just a few 4-3 FA-Ends:

DE John Abraham
DE Raheem Brock
DE Robert Mathis (RFA)
DE Kyle Vanden Bosch
DE Carlos Hall
DE Darren Howard
I think Kyle Vanden bosch is the DE for the Cheifs, if I'm right then this guy has such a high motor, I mean he never stops. He'd be a great pick up if we really are serious on switching defenses. I think he'd be a really good pick up.
Old 11-17-2005   #17
keyfro
Hall of Fame

kevin is the guy from the titans...you're thinking about jared allen
Old 11-17-2005   #18
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by royce1054
I hope we dont go 4-3.
The best D IMO goes
then 4-3
The 4-6 requires the exact personel and coaching to be run even close to effectivly.
You need so many different things that the Texans lack:
1. An effectvie and quick pass rush from the front four.
2. Extremly quick LB's who can read the QB imediatly.
3. Corners who you trust enough to leave on an island by themselves.
4. A safty who trust to not miss a tackle and still be a cover man similar to your CB.
5. You need a DC that has run the system w/succes before.
6. Competent coaches who have faith in every player on the field.

The ravens attempted to run this defense some this year and it has not gone to well. Their defense is stretched to extremes. The coaches had faith, but it was misplaced. Modern OC's can disect a scheme like this with a decent TE and a big, posession reciever.
Old 11-17-2005   #19
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther5407
I think Kyle Vanden bosch is the DE for the Cheifs, if I'm right then this guy has such a high motor, I mean he never stops. He'd be a great pick up if we really are serious on switching defenses. I think he'd be a really good pick up.

He plays for the Titans. He was on the Cards every year before that. Maybe thats the "red" team you are thinking of?
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlackBear32
He plays for the Titans. He was on the Cards every year before that. Maybe thats the "red" team you are thinking of?
or he could be looking at a list from last year.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read