Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-16-2005   #1
profan
Veteran

Default Take a Look at Ragone

I think the decisions on David Carr would be alot easier to make if we had a good indication of where Dave Ragone is at. I think it would be in the texans best interest to start ragone for a game or two and see what kind of numbers he put's up. If he out performs carr than maybe letting carr go is not a bad idea. If he really stinks it up, stay with carr. The coaches tend to replace other players when they are not performing, however, the qb is always the same unless he's hurt. I don't want carr to get hurt, but, when he is having an off game, he should be replaced just like other players at other positions.
profan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005   #2
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

if the rumors are true and we are seriously considering letting Carr go.. then we would be very stupid if we didnt give Ragone some play time to see what we have there.

lately..no one has accused our coaches of being smart though.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005   #3
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

If both Vince Young and Brady Quinn come out in 2007 ... I might give Raggone a shot in 2006 . If he stinks then maybe I'd have a shot at Quinn or Young .
If Carr is resigned is not the question . The question is why after 50 games is Carr not catching on . After 50 games if he is capable it seems he'd done it by now . I know coaching is important but after that many games he could have figured it out without a coach .
Old 11-16-2005   #4
mean mark8
Veteran

I posted this in another thread but it seems more appropriate here.

What about splitting time in the next 3 games or so between Ragone and Carr? One plays the 1st qtr and gets to continue any drives into the 2nd qtr. The other gets the remainder of the 2nd qtr plus the 3rd with continuance of any drives into the 4th. Finally the one who started finishes up the 4th. On the next game the other starts. This will gave McNair a basis for determining if it's the rest of the offense that bites and we don't have a QB who could run it or if Carr is just too gun-shy and confused by the defenses to play well. It won't allow Ragone to just shine because we're playing more losing teams in the last 7 games either. I think the play of Carr through this point in the year has earned him some competition. I also think Ragone's done everything asked of him to this point and deserves an opportunity. Everyone knows that we only have about 5 or 6 plays that we run anyway so they'll be on a pretty even scale as far as that goes.

I feel we've reached a point in the season where we can start looking at our future. I believe it makes good business sense to see everyone on your staff before you just award a large sum of money to anyone, currently on the roster or prospective draftees/FAs.

Last edited by mean mark8; 11-16-2005 at 08:51 PM.
mean mark8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005   #5
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by profan
I think the decisions on David Carr would be alot easier to make if we had a good indication of where Dave Ragone is at. I think it would be in the texans best interest to start ragone for a game or two and see what kind of numbers he put's up. If he out performs carr than maybe letting carr go is not a bad idea. If he really stinks it up, stay with carr. The coaches tend to replace other players when they are not performing, however, the qb is always the same unless he's hurt. I don't want carr to get hurt, but, when he is having an off game, he should be replaced just like other players at other positions.
THe coaches have him at 3rd string, which really tells you all you need to know about their assessment of his abilities. What we want is really irrelevant in that discussion.

For the record, I don't care one whit about RAgone, and I am convinced he'll never amount to much with the Texans. I'd much rather see them go after someone like Schaub or KItna, or similar, to challenge Carr and maybe take the job.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005   #6
mean mark8
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc
THe coaches have him at 3rd string, which really tells you all you need to know about their assessment of his abilities. What we want is really irrelevant in that discussion.

For the record, I don't care one whit about RAgone, and I am convinced he'll never amount to much with the Texans. I'd much rather see them go after someone like Schaub or KItna, or similar, to challenge Carr and maybe take the job.
The coaches also had Riley as our starting LT and Mack as our starting RB in DD's first year. They don't have a stellar record as far as assessing talent.
Old 11-16-2005   #7
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Ragone is a third string QB and likely nothing better than a backup in this league. He is not overly athletic, does not have a strong throwing arm, and the guy reads defenses worse than most of you think Carr does. Can he beat up on other third stringers and practice squaders a little but not really. Yeah he won whatever world bowl crap he won, but that is against third stringers and non-NFL leaguers. come on people Ragone should not see the field unless Carr and Banks gets hurt.
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-16-2005   #8
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mean mark8
The coaches also had Riley as our starting LT and Mack as our starting RB in DD's first year. They don't have a stellar record as far as assessing talent.
I don't necessarily disagree, but that just further cements my point - we won't be seeing Ragone unless a couple QBs go down to injury.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005   #9
mean mark8
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
Ragone is a third string QB and likely nothing better than a backup in this league. He is not overly athletic, does not have a strong throwing arm, and the guy reads defenses worse than most of you think Carr does. Can he beat up on other third stringers and practice squaders a little but not really. Yeah he won whatever world bowl crap he won, but that is against third stringers and non-NFL leaguers. come on people Ragone should not see the field unless Carr and Banks gets hurt.
People felt the same way about Kurt Warner and Jake Delhomme. Joe Montana was also a 3rd round selection with poor arm strength. Additionally, he beat out guys like Akili Smith who supposedly, at draft, was a no-miss QB.

Last edited by mean mark8; 11-16-2005 at 11:02 PM.
Old 11-16-2005   #10
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

Actually im sorry to say this but i dont want ragone to get a chance to play we have a lock on our run at the 1st overall pick in next years draft. and may be just may be putting ragone in might mean we win a couple of games and i refuse to win im used to loosing now. and i dont want to give up the 1st overall pick
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005   #11
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

First Montana was not a 3rd stringer behind two guys who people feel are not getting the job done, neither was Delhomme who was the backup. Kurt Warner was undrafted and it took two guys getting hurt for him to get his chance and he made the most of it. So like I said when Carr and Banks get hurt then Ragone can have his shot, it just may be with another team.
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005   #12
blankfixation
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napa Auto Parts
Actually im sorry to say this but i dont want ragone to get a chance to play we have a lock on our run at the 1st overall pick in next years draft. and may be just may be putting ragone in might mean we win a couple of games and i refuse to win im used to loosing now. and i dont want to give up the 1st overall pick
it would suck if we win more games and green bay gets first round. im not willing to lose a 1st round either, and to be honest im so pissed at the team that it really doesnt matter to me if they win the rest of the games cause we would still have the beginning of the season as a monkey on our backs. mcnair wont stand for his team to be the last place team more than one year so capers fairwell and good riddance. by the way anyone else think that capers looks like a monkey with a scratchpad?
found the perfect smiley for buchanon too
Old 11-17-2005   #13
profan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napa Auto Parts
No way we lose the rest of our games. The schedule is pretty lame the rest of the way and Capers will keep it close against against the remaining opponents and we will win some of these games. We will finish with three or four wins that amount to nothing. We will be fine with the draft as long as casserly does not try to get to cute and trade away a bunch of picks for some under achiever. Ragone was projected to be a top pick until his team fell apart in his junior year. Our coaches don't necessarily have the best players in the right order and i believe ragone should be over banks. I say play ragone because banks has no chance to be our future qb, where a younger ragone does.
profan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Interesting what happened up in Philly. McNabb went down and Reid has not gone to the guy that was listed at #2 on the depth charts, Koy Detmer, he has gone to #3 McMahon. I suspect one of the ways you keep guys like Banks and Detmer happy is to list them #2 on the depth chart even if you don't think they are the 2nd best QB on the roster.
Old 11-17-2005   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Interesting what happened up in Philly. McNabb went down and Reid has not gone to the guy that was listed at #2 on the depth charts, Koy Detmer, he has gone to #3 McMahon. I suspect one of the ways you keep guys like Banks and Detmer happy is to list them #2 on the depth chart even if you don't think they are the 2nd best QB on the roster.
Very true. I think that in this waste of a season it would be very sad if we didn't get Ragone in for a few quarters with the first team. To have season where you have zero chance for the playoffs and don't put in a few key reserves in first team action so you can conduct an honest review would be incredibly short sighted.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005   #16
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak

...good point. I've always liked McMahon and thought he kinda got looked over in Detroit--bet they'd like to have him back now. Is Houston doing the same thing with Ragone by keeping him on the bench? IMO, we shouldn't have to wonder 'what if' with either Carr or Ragone!!
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005   #17
humbleone
Veteran

As stated in a previous post, I like the idea of starting Ragone for the games after the Chiefs not because he is better than Carr but because our GM have invested a "3" in this kid and we need to get something for him.

So, if we play him the rest of the year and he wins a game or two (like Arizona or San Francisco) maybe we can trade him to a team for a pick in the '06 draft that we can use to put a player on the field. The '06 draft is perfect for the Texans with regards to needs (OL, OLB, TE, Safety)....we need all the picks we can get for the new GM to use as ammo.
humbleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005   #18
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I'd like to see Ragone and Hollings get some p.t. I would hate to have overlooked them and have them go somewhere else and excel.
Old 11-17-2005   #19
Frills
Veteran

Hollings excells on the trainer's table
Frills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005   #20
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

As soon as we are "mathematically eliminated" from the post-season, we could see some playing time for backups.

I'm not convinced Ragone is all that, but I'd like to see him play just to answer some questions. And if he suffered the same fate as Carr has been the past 4 seasons, then I guess some answers about DC might be addressed, as well.

Personally, I think Ragone would look much, much worse than any perception people have of Carr's play. Carr is athletic, at least, being the third leading rushing QB last year behind Vick and McNabb. I'm afraid Ragone would be on his **** a good portion of the time without the ability to run away from trouble.

Plus, if Ragone was given some playing time, it would rest DC and prevent him from taking even more of a beating than he already has this season. We'll need him next season for the run on our first winning record.

LOUD, PROUD, & TEXAN!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read