Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-16-2005   #1
TJFord
Rookie

Default How does this sound?

Instead of paying Carr lots of money for many more years, why not cut him loose and draft Reggie McNeal in the 3rd round of this draft? Before you press back or say "is this G retarded" think about this. We are not going anywhere next year. Hopefully we can win more games and be where we were last season but I believe that is the most we can hope for NEXT year. Ferguson or Winston are going to help a lot but probably not for the first half or 3/4 of next season so why not set yourself up for a chance to make huge strides over the next 3 seasons? Anyway, here are my ideas:

1 - Hire a new coach
2 - Release/Trade Carr
3 - Trade down in draft to a spot where we can get Ferguson and #1 next year (maybe package one of our additional picks this year?)
4 - Draft Marcus McNeil with 2nd round pick
5 - Draft Reggie McNeal in 3rd or 4th round

We suffer through another tough year next season, but I think that we would start to see a lot of improvement as the season wore on. We finish like 5-11 or 6-10. Next offseason we use the xtra 1st round pick and our own to move up and get VY or Vick and move McNeil to WR. Obviously there would need to be other things done in both offseasons, but this would give us a potentially great offense with VY at QB and AJ/Mathis/McNeal at WR with Morency at RB and Ferguson/Wade/Hodgdon/Pitts/McNeil on the OL.

Last edited by TJFord; 11-16-2005 at 01:59 PM.
TJFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005   #2
uhcougar08
SHSUKATS08

For *******s and giggles, I did that on Madden, and both McNeil and Young arent that stellar. But, nice try.
When you are 1-8, you'll try anything.
Old 11-16-2005   #3
Frills
Veteran

What's Reggie's injury status?

It looked bad
Frills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005   #4
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

I dont think this is very feasible. It does not make much sense to me what you are doing. But anyway I guess it is interesting and you can look at every option that you can. Reggie is done for the year but should be ok by the time combine and individual workouts start.
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005   #5
TJFord
Rookie

the way I see it this team has done a poor job of acquiring players. i didn't understand the babin deal, i couldn't believe the buchanon deal, and the pass over of DJ made me wonder if i even wanted to like this team. that being said, we do have some parts to build on but it is going to take more than one offseason. i truly believe that VY is going to be a stud qb and after four years the texans have not acquired a single player from a program that has not only produced a dozen or more solid players but is sitting in the texans own backyard and has one hell of a following in the city. put simply, VY makes sense on a football level and a business level. many of the same issues apply with mcneal. so my thinking is that if you are not going to be very good for the next few years you might as well have players that the city already has a vested interest in. if you start this offseason building an offensive line and retooling the defense then next offseason you pick up VY and some more defensive players we could have the foundation of a team that can compete for years in just three years. granted, this wont happen most likely, but would any of you even agree to the texans going down this road is my question?
TJFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005   #6
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

If we picked up VY or McNeal it would be fine. It would put us in the hole for about 4 to 5 more years but hey we like having losing teams as long as guys we watched in college are getting hammered for our pro team. Please...
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005   #7
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

If that is your plan then why bother releasing Carr rather than keeping him for two years while we rebuild? Either way this is a bad deal and I'm glad you're not our GM.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read