Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-16-2005   #1
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Default My New Mock

After seeing Pitt playing pretty good at LT, I figured that a LT in the first isn't needed as badly as before. There are trades in this one.

1) LB A.J. Hawk, Ohio St (texans finally get a playmaking LB)
2) OT Daryn Colledge, Boise St (a LT for the future to play LG as a rookie)
2) WR Hank Baskett, New Mexico (a big target to help out David)
3) TE Joel Klopfenstien, Colorado (A TE who can block and catch)
3) CB Cedric Griffin, Texas (anything is an up grade over Faggins/Buchanan)
4) OG Matt Lentz, Michigan (eventual replacement for Wiegert)
5) DE Manase Hopoi, Washington (depth at DE/DT)
5) FS Jarrad Page, UCLA (a big safety to replace coleman)
6) OT Taitusi Lutui, USC (a huge tackle(6'6" 370lbs) to play RT)
7) LB Leon Williams, Miami (never hurts have a few guys from the U)

The texans trade 1st overall to ravens for 6th overall as well as their 2nd and 5th.
Old 11-16-2005   #2
SESupergenius

Baskett can catch, but he's not a great route runner. He huge, but I am not sure how fast he is.
Old 11-16-2005   #3
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

I am wondering why we would pick a WR in the second with so many wholes in the defense and O-line. Also why get AJ Hawk when we can can get a great OL and a good LB in Rocky McIntosh. McIntosh will likely be the Odell Thurman of this years draft.
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005   #4
College Texan
Veteran

Great Mock. I have been preachin that we need a LB to biuld our D around. I like Hawk and I think his teammate Carpenter will fall somewhere in the second, so I kind of disagree with the WR in the second. I think we should take Carpenter with your other second.
College Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 41516 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

with the Texans first two picks the opportunity is there to once and for all solve the offensive line problems lets not ignore this another year, please

then with the two 3rd picks address the defensive side of the ball, specificly our run defense & ability to pass rush.

in the fourth/fifth rounds address needs on the offense, possibly a QB, & TE
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005   #6
LB Love
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to LB Love

Klopf is a beast. He runs ~4.5, benches over 400, and has WR's hands. Great pick.
Old 11-16-2005   #7
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB Love

Klopf is a beast. He runs ~4.5, benches over 400, and has WR's hands. Great pick.
I havent heard too much about this guy, do you have a scouting report on him?

You have peaked my interest...
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-16-2005   #8
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Do you honsetly think that two rookies will fix the o line? The raiders tried that two years ago. Look at who they chose now, Gallery is an RT and Grove lost his starting spot at center. If anything will fix the o line in one year it is a great o line coach, like Alex Gibbs or the guy who fixed the chargers line.
Old 11-17-2005   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 41516 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-minus67
Do you honsetly think that two rookies will fix the o line? The raiders tried that two years ago. Look at who they chose now, Gallery is an RT and Grove lost his starting spot at center. If anything will fix the o line in one year it is a great o line coach, like Alex Gibbs or the guy who fixed the chargers line.
its time to give it a try, just because the Raiders fail does that mean everyone else should fail as well? the Patriots have had success with two rookies @ LG Mankins and LT Kaczur this year, if not for them they might even resemble the Texans
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005   #10
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4640 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see it as some sort of zero sum situation. We need both new/better players AND better line coaching. We have some guys that are "OK" to keep, but 2-3 are not fit to be starters IMO. We need to get the talent in to the house and coach it correctly. Once that is done, we will see a MARKED improvement in the offense IMO.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005   #11
College Texan
Veteran

I see two rookies hurting us if they start both on the same side, but a LT and a RG should put balance on the line. hope for Brick and Joseph.
College Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005   #12
real

I think it's more of a coaching problem than a player problem... Our O-line Talent wise isn't really that horrible...Technique wise and discipline wise(False Starts) is really a coaching Dilema...I dont really count holding against them because we dont have that many called, and everyone holds from time to time...But what I am saying is that drafting new OL to fix our problems may not be the answer, maybe they need to re-evaluate the coaching and take it from there........
Old 11-19-2005   #13
texman8
Veteran

Mmmm..."Our O-line Talent wise isn't really that horrible"........It's just not any good.
Pitts - best OL we have
Mckinney - better at G , getting older and close to end of contract
D, Hog - good future at C
Weigert - good but always injured
Wade - dissapointing
We definitely need a talent upgrade.........draft 2 OL..one to start and one for depth...Milford Brown our only good backup.....Wand is shot for now..confidence
After this season, a new coaching staff will take over.
texman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005   #14
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by College Texan
Great Mock. I have been preachin that we need a LB to biuld our D around. I like Hawk and I think his teammate Carpenter will fall somewhere in the second, so I kind of disagree with the WR in the second. I think we should take Carpenter with your other second.
I like Carpenter also, but I think a second is a bit high.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005   #15
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-minus67
Not with this tallent. It's time we waded in and fixed the darn thing once and for all. We saw a little promise in the last couple of games. But, I don't think Pitts has improved enough to overcome his speed rusher issues, the depth be hind the inside guys is supect. I don't know how you figgure stading pat on the o-line when we're fixing to shatter our previous standard of pass protection ineptness this season ? Interesting. At the very least they need a day one prospect to back up Pitts. I'm ever hopefull that they wade in this draft and get two quality o-line prospects on day one.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005   #16
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete
Not with this tallent. It's time we waded in and fixed the darn thing once and for all. We saw a little promise in the last couple of games. But, I don't think Pitts has improved enough to overcome his speed rusher issues, the depth be hind the inside guys is supect. I don't know how you figgure stading pat on the o-line when we're fixing to shatter our previous standard of pass protection ineptness this season ? Interesting. At the very least they need a day one prospect to back up Pitts. I'm ever hopefull that they wade in this draft and get two quality o-line prospects on day one.

quite saying "wade." it makes me cringe.
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read