Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2005   #1
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default David Done In Houston? | Profootballtalk.com

Disclaimer: rumor site
Quote:
DAVID DONE IN HOUSTON?

Despite indications that the Texans plan to keep quarterback David Carr via an $8 million option bonus, we're hearing that the team is taking a careful look at the pool of available quarterbacks for 2006 -- and that the Texans currently are leaning against keeping Carr.

Though many assume that Carr's struggle are the result of poor pass protection, the main knock on Carr is that he simply cannot pick up the secondary receiver when his primary guy isn't open.

Currently, Houston has a one-game "lead" over a cluster of 2-7 teams for the No. 1 overall pick in the draft. If the Texans remain among this team of turds come late December, look for owner Bob McNair to keep his $8 million in his pockets -- and to permit Carr to hit the road.

The other option, of course, is the negotiation of a new deal with Carr that would allow him to stay at a more appropriate cap number and pay package. In this regard, the Texans have more than a little leverage, since no one that we know of is crossing their fingers and toes in the hopes that Carr will become a free agent. But even if Carr stays, our guess is that he gets some real competition for the starting job in the offseason.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Old 11-16-2005   #2
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4561 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow. Could be a total house cleaning from top to bottom.
Old 11-16-2005   #3
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
If the Texans remain among this team of turds come late December,
Normally I don't put much stock into sites that use the phrase "team of turds." But hey, I am a crazy guy.

Yes, I did read the disclaimer.
Old 11-16-2005   #4
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

That 8 mil would go a long way in fixing some of the other holes this team has to fill.
Old 11-16-2005   #5
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4561 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2110
That 8 mil would go a long way in fixing some of the other holes this team has to fill.
Yep. IMO it was a big mistake to pay all the money to Carr without building any kind of O line. I would rather have a decent QB and a decent O line instead of a crappy O line and an OK QB.
Old 11-16-2005   #6
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think Carr is going anywhere. I actually believe that the Texans will exercise the 3 year option over the 2 year one. I'm more worried that the Texans will win enough games to keep Capers and company around another year. I'm so tired of hearing what a good man Capers is. What the heck does that have to do with being a good head coach?
Old 11-16-2005   #7
SESupergenius

Quote:
Though many assume that Carr's struggle are the result of poor pass protection, the main knock on Carr is that he simply cannot pick up the secondary receiver when his primary guy isn't open.
I think this persond was scouring the message board and came across a post from one of our fans saying he thought this way about Carr, but didn't bother to keep up with the rebutals or didn't see the game where Carr layed it right in Brad fords hands for a potentially game tieing score.....as the 2nd reciever.

Sponsored links
Old 11-16-2005   #8
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
I think this persond was scouring the message board and came across a post from one of our fans saying he thought this way about Carr, but didn't bother to keep up with the rebutals or didn't see the game where Carr layed it right in Brad fords hands for a potentially game tieing score.....as the 2nd reciever.
Also, didn't Carr say on the radio that the coaches tell him to check the 1st reciever, and if he isn't open to immidiately check down to the dump off option?
Old 11-16-2005   #9
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
And on the same play Carr didn't throw to a wide open AJ underneath on the slant...
Old 11-16-2005   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 348851 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
Normally I don't put much stock into sites that use the phrase "team of turds." But hey, I am a crazy guy.

Yes, I did read the disclaimer.
yeah, that thought crossed my mind to when seeing that particular phrase. It doesn't inspire the greatest of confidence in their "professional" analysis, 'eh? Even for a rumor sight.

Interesting read, though, and glad Vinny posted it. I find it interesting to see how the outside world views the situation, and there are some valid points. If the perception at the front office is that Carr is as good as he's going to get (by that I mean growing out of certain tendencies or not), then overpaying him might not be the greatest idea at this time. Especially considering how many other urgent needs this team has at various positions.
Old 11-16-2005   #11
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I cant see this happening. Its more than money. Its more than the record.

David has been the face of this franchise for years. He wont be thrown out like trash. I know the NFL has no loyalties, but sometimes you have to stick with your guy. Build up around him, and then see what the problem is.

This isnt a Kyle Boller, who has a top notch Defense, with an established line, and pro bowl left tackle, and one of the best RB's in the game.

This is David Carr, with a 4 year old franchise, a struggling D, a musical chairs o line, and a good stable of backs.

Also, I have to mention the coaches. Brian Billick, is far more sucessful overall than our own Dom Capers.

Add all of this together, and you can see why we are 1-8.

Pay Carr his money, and get him a LT, G, and a better defense. And to top that off, a new head coach. You know, the kind that like to win. Take chances, and draw up better plays.
Old 11-16-2005   #12
Frills
Veteran

We pay this O-line 12 mil

And people claim the gov't misappropiates funds :brickwall
Old 11-16-2005   #13
texan279
Hall of Fame

You can't pay the guy millions just because he is "the face of the franchise". If our front office makes moves like that, we will be in cap hell pretty quick.
Old 11-16-2005   #14
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
If our front office makes moves like that, we will be in cap hell pretty quick.
If our front office keeps paying crappy Dolphin players 25 million then we will be in cap hell pretty quick.
Old 11-16-2005   #15
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You can't pay the guy millions just because he is "the face of the franchise". If our front office makes moves like that, we will be in cap hell pretty quick.
I didnt say give him money because he is the face of the franchise. My point was that you need to stick with your guy, and see if he is really the problem.

So you would rather dump Carr, and pick up another #1 overall QB? Either way you are going to pay big bucks.

How much better do you think he will do with the Texans right now?
Old 11-16-2005   #16
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Why did this guy not even discuss the 5.5 option. I would be very suprise if they excersise the 8million option also. The 5.5 option for two years is a good option and we should execute it. I would assume that the Texans need to spread this rumor much more though. I would hate for teams to think that they can just move to two or three in the draft and still get the top guy. I seriously doubt we will get another QB. Look for McNair to ask Kubiak hey can you win with DC and Kubiak will say hey I won with Jake Plummer, I can kill with DC. Kubiak takes over and then the Texans go 8-8 his first season and make the playoffs next year in and resign Carr to a long term contract. The Texans board celebrates McNair finally bringing in the right guy and Vinny , Infantry, and I will still say that we need better execution.
Old 11-16-2005   #17
SESupergenius

Quote:
And on the same play Carr didn't throw to a wide open AJ underneath on the slant...
And on that same play Carr looked at AJ initially and he was covered by 2 guys thinking they were going to double his primary option, Carr doesn't have the luxury of "waiting" for a play develop, this has been the argument of all the Carr haters is that he holds on to the ball to long.

Old 11-16-2005   #18
Frills
Veteran

If he had the option to audible to something other than a run, he would be better. If he didn't get hit 40 million times per year he'd have more patience and look to the 2nd WR other than dumping it to the RB. If he had a TE that could be a threat in the middle he'd have more options. If he had a defense that could stop folks, he wouldn't be the whole second half down by 21. If he had a RB that could block someone (he has in the past 2 weeks, but the no blocking back should return)

when a player gets hammered as much as he has, they start to expect the hit, and worry more about when its comming (subconciously) and the rest of their game falters. The coaching staff and Casserly have directly caused it.

I like David, and while I want him here, it might be in his best interest to get a fresh start somewhere else.
Old 11-16-2005   #19
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE NFL DRAFT
I didnt say give him money because he is the face of the franchise. My point was that you need to stick with your guy, and see if he is really the problem.

So you would rather dump Carr, and pick up another #1 overall QB? Either way you are going to pay big bucks.

How much better do you think he will do with the Texans right now?
No I am not saying that, I really don't know what I would do at this point. If Carr really wants to stay and suceed, maybe he should take a pay cut to free up some money to put into the O line, through draft or free agency. I just don't think he should be the highest paid player on this team right now. Honestly, no one probably deserves to make what he makes on this team right now.
Old 11-16-2005   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 357040 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2110
Not as far as it sounds. That $8 mil if exercised will go on the cap over 4 years, so $2 mil per year. As evidenced by Wade, Coleman and Greenwood's contracts, you don't get serious FA's for $2 mil per year--the cheapest of them has a $3.5 mil per year contract.

Now his base salary would free up a bigger chunk of cap in each of those years, but then again you are out looking for a new QB as well so that is most likely a wash.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read