Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-16-2005   #1
humbleone
Veteran

Default The "C's" should get the Chiefs and then the hook

It doesn't look like McNair will pull the trigger on Casserly and Capers until the end of the season but that is a mistake. He should clean house after the Chiefs because:

(1) At 1-9 the team will be as low as an NFL franchise can get
(2) The loyalty stuff is not helpful and does not matter at this point...McNair to the "C's", Capers to Fangio, Pendry, the coaches to players who are not performing (i.e. Coleman, Bradford etc...)
(3) Now is the time for "rebuilding decisions" not short-term ones and that is all you are going to get from these coaches as they try to salvage some of their reputations by cobbling together a win or two against bad teams at the end of the season.
(4) If you fire the "C's" now, rest Carr, DD and Mathis, play Ragone (That DC is better than Ragone does not matter at this point), Wells, Morency and Armstrong, bench Coleman and Bradford you give the team its best chance to improve for the long haul. There is a time to play players with an eye to the future and IMO we are there.
(5) Until the "C's" are gone, the focus is going to be on them vs the players who we are going to need to move on with. It is sort of like Philadelphia and TO, they needed to pull the trigger and move on so that they can build for the future.
humbleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005   #2
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbleone
It doesn't look like McNair will pull the trigger on Casserly and Capers until the end of the season but that is a mistake. He should clean house after the Chiefs...
Who takes their place?
Old 11-16-2005   #3
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Man you never give up on a season. I cannot agree with you on this one you have to try to win as many games as possible.
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005   #4
humbleone
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
Who takes their place?

I would say Marciano until McNair can get the stud and his team that this thing is going to take. I am "ok" with Pendry finishing the season as OC if he wants.
Old 11-16-2005   #5
humbleone
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
Man you never give up on a season. I cannot agree with you on this one you have to try to win as many games as possible.
You are right but I don't think what I am saying is giving up on the season but rather that it would be a way to salvage something useful from it. Of course we should not field any team that we do not think could win a game or game plan not to win.

Do we think we can not win a game without our current coaches? Do we think we can not win a game with Ragone, Wells, Armstrong in and DC and DD healing up? (if so, then why are they on our team) Do we think that benching Coleman (long overdue) and Bradford means we can't win against the teams coming up after the Chiefs?

What I think would be smart is to see us test the talent and "want to" of some of the rest of our team that does not see much of a football field except at practice and give the hook quickly to any starter (i.e. Coleman, Greenwood etc...) that does not bring their best effort for the rest of the season.
Old 11-16-2005   #6
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Who takes Casserly position?
Old 11-16-2005   #7
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Test talent the last two games of the season, but with 7 games left you try to salvage whatever you can.
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-16-2005   #8
humbleone
Veteran

Quote:
Who takes Casserly position?
No one. Leave the spot open, finish the season, pile up a bunch of high draft picks rich with trading partner scenarios trying to get Bush or Leinart and get a great GM.

Marciano could report directly to McNair through the rest of the season.
Old 11-16-2005   #9
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Wha?

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbleone
No one. Leave the spot open, finish the season, pile up a bunch of high draft picks rich with trading partner scenarios trying to get Bush or Leinart and get a great GM.

Marciano could report directly to McNair through the rest of the season.

I am a bigger fan of Coach Joe than most, but I don't understand the benefits of your plan.

You short the coaching and managerial staff, take the coach away from the special teams group that is actually over performing in the middle of the season, and this is supposed to improve things?

Even if the team succeeded, you wouldn't know whether it was because of the coaching change or the easier schedule. And if the team did poorly the rest of the season, you don't know if it would be due to the anarchy you just created by cutting the HC and GM in the middle of the season. And by your actions, you would be showing the rest of the potential coaches and GMs in the league that you were a team in complete disarray and owned by a capricious amateur.

Just one chick's opinion. YRMV.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005   #10
humbleone
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
I am a bigger fan of Coach Joe than most, but I don't understand the benefits of your plan.

You short the coaching and managerial staff, take the coach away from the special teams group that is actually over performing in the middle of the season, and this is supposed to improve things?

Even if the team succeeded, you wouldn't know whether it was because of the coaching change or the easier schedule. And if the team did poorly the rest of the season, you don't know if it would be due to the anarchy you just created by cutting the HC and GM in the middle of the season. And by your actions, you would be showing the rest of the potential coaches and GMs in the league that you were a team in complete disarray and owned by a capricious amateur.

The rest of the league already knows the team is in complete disarray and that a new GM and coaches are on the way...they are just waiting for the other shoe to drop along with the rest of us. The league knows that McNair has spent $700M for the francise, ponied up for the 2nd highest payroll in the league in '04 and gave this team literally everything he could to make them and their 5 year plan successful. IMO, the only way he comes off looking like a "capricous amateur" is to not make a move asap.
Old 11-16-2005   #11
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick

I'm not a fan of any of the coaches - but I agree here. Even though it would make me feel better to know I wouldn't have to see Caper's and his open mouth expression or hear "we need to execute" any more, I don't think getting rid of him at this point would be productive. It saddens me to write that.

Keeping the C's is pretty much a necessity until the end of this dismal season. It doesn't make particularly good sense to go switching coaches about in midstream when the replacements would just be temporary at best. The best the temps could do would be to 'stay the course' - it being a bit late to do any more serious changing. It wouldn't prove much of anything and might even send the wrong message to any good coaches who would consider coming here.

If McNair really wanted to see what Ragone and Wells could do, then he should tell Capers to put them in - he is the owner, after all. I actually don't think that is such a bad idea. Out of idle curiosity, I'd like to see what Ragone could do myself.

I'm just hoping we can beat Kansas and a few more down the road.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005   #12
SESupergenius

I would like to see Capers around for another season. He's won with marginal talent and has kept us in games. But I don't want him to stick around if we are going to see that same dysmal offensive structure and coaching. And he needs to dump Fangio and bring in a better cover 2 blitzing coordinator. I think Perry from the Steelers would be a perfect fit, if not bring in more people that are knowledgable with running a 3-4 scheme.

Most importantly, bring in a stronger GM, one with a good scouting team and one that can draft better and more of a commanding input on the player decisions.
Old 11-16-2005   #13
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigTEXan8
The only thing I want from McNair, other than action, is a promise. A promise that Capers and Co. will not be back next year. That's all I want. If I get that, then good. One person I think we need to get next year is Charles Rogers. I know he is often injured and can be lazy at times, but I think the right coach will whip is *** into shape. Nevermind, I'm off topic. Just a promise McNair, that's it.
You're not going to get it, nor should you. There's no way McNair should come out in the middle of the season and say Capers is finished. We're all just going to have to be patient (sucks, I know).
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005   #14
ATX_Texan
Veteran

Default Fire him now!

Quote:
And by your actions, you would be showing the rest of the potential coaches and GMs in the league that you were a team in complete disarray and owned by a capricious amateur.
Last year both the Dolphins and Browns fired their coaches during the season and installed interim coaches to finish things out. During the off season, both were able to obtain quality coaches. Firing a coach at mid season does not ruin that team's chances of acquiring other personnel.

The most important thing the firing does is to show everyone that the Texans finally accept that they are a team in complete disarray and they are ready to start fixing the problem. The fact that Dom is fired removes all doubt that he will somehow hang on for another season. It forces McNair to start the process of identifying coaching candidates. There will be many openings for NFL coaches next year. I would hope that the Texans would already be getting ready to get the next guy. I would hate for us to miss out on a quality coach because we wasted our time trying to decide if Capers needs another year to "turn things around".
ATX_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005   #15
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Who takes their place?
Let Marciano run the team. Unlike the D & O, his unit has been performing at
a very high level. He gets the maximum effort out of his team, and his players clearly like him and respect him. I've seen many instances of the camaraderie that exists between coach and players. And it would be a popular move amoung local sports fans and nationally media - McNair & Texans give single parent with autistic son an opportunity as new NFL HC. What's not to like about that ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005   #16
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

only way I see a coaching staff leaving in the middle of the season is if the team has just flat out quit playing for the coach.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read