Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-15-2005   #1
uhcougar08
SHSUKATS08

Default Reggie bush?

Whats wrong with selecting Bush in the first round, select a tackle in second to play RT, because Pitts is the future LT, and selecting a OC and OG with our 3rd rounders, and go for the BPA at CB, TE, OLB, DT the rest of the draft?
Old 11-15-2005   #2
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

There is nothing wrong with it if it is going to be best for the team. It will be interesting to see if that is how it actually works out.
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #3
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 357040 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Just don't see it. What position is Bush going to play? Is he magically going to become an every down back in the NFL after not doing it in college? He may be the best KR/PR and slot WR ever, but is that worth #1 or #2? Fantastic athlete--just don't see where he fits for that kind of projected cap money.
Old 11-15-2005   #4
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

We have more than enough running backs. We have a terrible offensive line. Offensive line is clearly our biggest need and when you can get a LT who is in the same conversation as Walter Jones or Orlando Pace, you don't pass him up. All great running backs and quarterbacks need to have a good offensive line. Right now we have a pathetic offensive line.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #5
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Just don't see it. What position is Bush going to play? Is he magically going to become an every down back in the NFL after not doing it in college? He may be the best KR/PR and slot WR ever, but is that worth #1 or #2? Fantastic athlete--just don't see where he fits for that kind of projected cap money.

Maurice Drew is a better PR.
Old 11-15-2005   #6
uhcougar08
SHSUKATS08

Do yall honestly believe DD is a true running back or is he a system back?
We have one playmaker on our team and he has been hurt for a few games, why cant we have another?
DD is not a playmaker and Bush is, I think that is what we need.
Is DD is so dog gone special, why did we draft a RB in the third round, and isnt DD injury prone just a little bit?
Old 11-15-2005   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 357040 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhcougar08
You are joking right?--what system is that--we will let you get hit in the back field every other time and let you scratch out a 3.9 yd average up the middle. Great system--and by the way one Bush has never sniffed a carry in.

Quote:
We have one playmaker on our team and he has been hurt for a few games, why cant we have another?
I don't mind a playmaker or another starting RB. I would love to have had Steven Jackson for instance, but I don't see where Bush fits. He doesn't replace DD because he can't run inside the tackles, even if he is more durable, more explosive, yada yada. You have to have a RB who can consistantly run up the gut for 3 yds. Has Bush every even tried that?
Old 11-15-2005   #8
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
DD is not a playmaker and Bush is, I think that is what we need.
Is DD is so dog gone special, why did we draft a RB in the third round, and isnt DD injury prone just a little bit?
Just because you want Bush, you dont have to talk about DD. I personally dont believe that its a smart pick. First of all a 3rd round offensive lineman wont start his first year, and maybe never, look at Wand. Plus, why would you place a OG at OT just to get an extra RB. Pitts is better at OG, and what people dont understand is that while Bush may be the most exciting player in the draft, Ferguson just may be the best player overall. You can always find skill position players, hey in a few years, Mike Hart, Peterson, and some other backs will come out, but an OT the caliber of Ferguson wont come out again for a while.
Old 11-15-2005   #9
uhcougar08
SHSUKATS08

You didnt answer my main question, If DD is so good, why did we draft Morency with our 2nd pick in last years draft?
Old 11-15-2005   #10
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

DD is a special back in the mold of Tiki Barber with maybe less speed and more power. In a system on a different team he would likely put up better numbers where he was not the focus all the time. So honestly yes I think DD is a true running back. We have a couple of playmakers, but we do not have near the same number as the upper echelon teams.
Old 11-15-2005   #11
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You didnt answer my main question, If DD is so good, why did we draft Morency with our 2nd pick in last years draft?
depth, and a great 3rd round value.
Old 11-15-2005   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Ummm, because DD gets dinged when run too often, because we wanted consistant (same style) depth, because Morency was BPA, because Casserly has anal cranial insertion, etc....do I need more?
Old 11-15-2005   #13
uhcougar08
SHSUKATS08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
DD is a special back in the mold of Tiki Barber with maybe less speed and more power. In a system on a different team he would likely put up better numbers where he was not the focus all the time. So honestly yes I think DD is a true running back. We have a couple of playmakers, but we do not have near the same number as the upper echelon teams.
Thank You, I just wanted an opionion, not start a war. Im not saying DD is terrible, but with our zone blocking, is he a system back in that scenario. I am refering the Denver Broncos and the numerous high yardage backs they have produced from zone blocking.

What is wrong with Bush as like an LT type, the man has serious break away speed, something none of our RB's have.
Old 11-15-2005   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Thank You, I just wanted an opionion, not start a war. Im not saying DD is terrible, but with our zone blocking, is he a system back in that scenario. I am refering the Denver Broncos and the numerous high yardage backs they have produced from zone blocking.

What is wrong with Bush as like an LT type, the man has serious break away speed, something none of our RB's have.
If we had anything in common with the Broncos other than the basic scheme you would have a valid point. We do not however. The line is a very eratic zone blocking line--some huge holes for us and some huge holes for the D to get the RB behind the LOS. DD has made a lot out of a little.

If I saw Bush as LT or Sanders I would have no problem taking him in the top 5, but it just isn't there IMO. He simply doesn't get the tough, close-in yards a true RB needs to get through either speed, power, vision, something--they all have a way of getting through the tight traffic. Bush hasn't demonstrated that--elite open field runner, but give me 3 when I need 2 he isn't.
Old 11-15-2005   #15
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

I understood where you were going that is why I did not attack you. I dont think Bush is an LT type. He is quite a bit smaller than LT and he is not a 30 carry back. He can handle the ball 20 times a game and will likely be something around Warrick Dunn. Which is a terrific back and a gamebreaker, but I doubt he will get the ball 30+ times.
Old 11-15-2005   #16
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:

You can never compare the zone blocking scheme of denver to the scheme that the Texans run. If DD ran behind that o-line then he would be one of the top rushers IMO.
Old 11-15-2005   #17
uhcougar08
SHSUKATS08

I threw Bush in here for discussion, but I personally want D'Brickashaw Ferguson to be our RT next season, and I will be completely satisfied. CC ruined my dream of having Derrick Johnson as our OLB last year, and I personally hate the Longhorns. I just dont ever see passing up on a playmaker, but yes I would be tickled pink to have a OT as our first pick.
Old 11-15-2005   #18
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

My question to you is do you honestly think that D'Brick will do well at RT. He is not a strong run blocker and he has a lack of size. At the RT spot he would be matched up against the larger DEs in the league. I like Ferguson, but I like Winston better just because he has more versatility and pretty much the same skill. Some say Ferguson is like Walter Jones and Winston is like Jordan Gross. I dont feel that Ferguson is like Walter Jones but similar in athleticism, but he is alot like a good Alex Barron but slower straight line speed which does not matter.
Old 11-15-2005   #19
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Bush is not LT. Everyone has to get that out of their heads. He is nowhere near the blocker that LT is. Remember, LT played 1 or 2 years as a FB at TCU. Like Coach C. said, Bush will be like a Warrick Dunn or Brian Westbrook type of player. Both are great players, but not worth a #1 overall pick. If we were going to add another back to our team I'd like a big back like a TJ Duckett or Steven Jackson who can just run over people

Our offense will be so much better with a good offensive line. We would finally be able to open up our offense and not have to always have a max protect scheme in place.
Old 11-16-2005   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Reggie Bush reminds me of Reggie Bush

break away speed unmatched.

ideal size 205 & 6 ft. tall.

clean bill of health.

makes plays in critical situations.

plays & wins championships.

So then, why would the Texans take him with the 1st pick don't need him do we? over-rated, over-hyped & over-exposed? I believe somewhere there is a logical explanation
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read