Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-15-2005   #21
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Shantee Orr is definitely not a MLB, and Smith, Walker, Payne, and TJ cannot play 4-3 DE. Assuming we have the same defensive personnel as this year (which we shouldn't after free agency and the draft are done) here is what our defensive starters should look like:

4-3:
DL (L-R): Babin; Payne/Walker/Johnson; Smith; Peek
LB (L-R): Greenwood/Wong; Wong/Polk; Orr
CB: Robinson; Buchanon (after he learns to cover someone within 5 yards)
S: Brown; Earl/Simmons

3-4:
DL (L-R): Walker/Johnson ; Payne; Smith
LB (L-R): Orr; Wong; Babin; Peek
CB/S same as above
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #22
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

If we go to a 4-3 we have to draft a middle linebacker - or we need to sign a FA to play there. Greenwood is the most suited but he isn't physical enough.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #23
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Payne and Smith are the truest DT's on the team. Why do people keep wanting to put them at DE in a 4-3? Walker especially, and maybe TJ have the skill set to be good LDE's. Smith at 4-3 DE just isn't happening.
I agree. That is basically what I said earlier. I guess guys are just guessing where players should go without any actual facts.
Old 11-15-2005   #24
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Vinny,

I take it you have Wong playing LLB? I didn't follow Wong at Minnesota. Was he a subpar MLB? I know Cleveland recruited him to play MLB for them (when Davis was HC) the same year we recruited him to play OLB for us.
Old 11-15-2005   #25
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
Vinny,

I take it you have Wong playing LLB? I didn't follow Wong at Minnesota. Was he a subpar MLB? I know Cleveland recruited him to play MLB for them (when Davis was HC) the same year we recruited him to play OLB for us.
I think he would make a better conventional 4-3 strongside Sam linebacker than Babin would. I just don't think he looks too instinctive in the middle where you have to be a heat seeking missle type. I'd draft a MLB and put Greenwood at the will and Wong over the te on the strongside.

Old 11-15-2005   #26
College Texan
Veteran

SmithI think is qicker off the snap than Walker. Walker and Payne will be able to play inside because they have the size and skills to lock down the middle. They take up two blocks in a 3-4 lined up over the center and tackle, they should do the same lined up over guards. having robaire on the strongside edge will sacrafice us in the pass rush a bit but will stop from getting run over in the running game where babin at the strongside is hurting us. And TJ can play end to some degree. A 4-3 doesn't neccesarily mean we need smaller faster guys. Our big guys will do assuming we don't get anybody in the draft to help the D. I also think we can play both Babin and peak as ends on 3rd downs. Have ya even seen our nickle package? It is basically the same thing except our ends are not all the way down.
College Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #27
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by College Texan
SmithI think is qicker off the snap than Walker.
no way. Walker is a lightning bolt off the line and Smith is a big plodder.

Sponsored links
Old 11-15-2005   #28
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Quote:
SmithI think is qicker off the snap than Walker. Walker and Payne will be able to play inside because they have the size and skills to lock down the middle. They take up two blocks in a 3-4 lined up over the center and tackle, they should do the same lined up over guards.
Have you actually seen Walker and Smith standing next to one another? Smith makes Walker look like a dwarf in comparison. There is absolutely no way Smith could play an effective LDE in a 4-3.
Old 11-15-2005   #29
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i think the a good point was made about the defensive end position with the personal we have we might want to go to a Dungy type defense where we have undersized ends...in that case peek and babin would be ideal...but i would also look to draft another one...someone like va tech's trapp...i also believe we'll look to trade g-funk off for a true MLB which will allow us to have wong at the strong side and greenwood weak side...remember charlie anderson has the typical size to be the strong side outside linebacker...the new coaching staff might give him more of a look
Old 11-15-2005   #30
real

I think we need to stick with the 3-4 because we have already been getting players to fit into that scheme and it would set us back on defense. Plus our 3-4 isnt that far off from being solid we just need a couple of players on defense maybe two more line backers..., safeties and corners will have to be adjusted regardless
Old 11-15-2005   #31
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
SmithI think is qicker off the snap than Walker.
If Smith has ever been quicker off a snap than Walker there was at least one little yellow hanky in the air for encroachment.
Old 11-15-2005   #32
real

Thank god for the off season..........
Old 11-15-2005   #33
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdude730
i think he has been making too many mistakes in the passing game to keep him as a fulltime starter
He is a rookie and rookies make mistakes. How he does in the rest of the season determines if he starts next year. I think he will play well.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #34
College Texan
Veteran

If ya have been watching you will notice that Ro-bear consistently gets penetration, but in our 3-4 scheme we don't cut our guys loose and let them do that all the time. Walker I see gets more double teams, so I think that he will be better in the middle of a 4-3, and Ro-bear has the size and quickness to force teams to run opposite of him. I Do think if we get the first overall we should trade the Jets for their first and Vilma. Vilma would be great in whatever system we run. I also think Babin would be a bett LOLB than Anderson and I think Anderson is the better pass rusher of the two and he would play down on the line.
College Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #35
real

I dont think theyd give up vilma...
Old 11-15-2005   #36
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If ya have been watching you will notice that Ro-bear consistently gets penetration, but in our 3-4 scheme we don't cut our guys loose and let them do that all the time. Walker I see gets more double teams, so I think that he will be better in the middle of a 4-3, and Ro-bear has the size and quickness to force teams to run opposite of him. I Do think if we get the first overall we should trade the Jets for their first and Vilma. Vilma would be great in whatever system we run. I also think Babin would be a bett LOLB than Anderson and I think Anderson is the better pass rusher of the two and he would play down on the line.
Why would the Jets trade Vilma?
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005   #37
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

I was bored last night and i came across this DE/OLB, He has been with the oakland raiders and chicago bears, he hasn't done to much on the field, but his Combine numbers look good, and if were gonna switch to a 4-3 he might be a good fit, starting or backing up, but i don't know as much as some of you guys, so tell me what you think, here is his prospect profile

http://http://www.nfl.com/draft/prof...ierson_shurron

hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read