Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-14-2005   #1
1-3
Veteran

Default Ragone over Chris Simms

Not that Simms was a world beater but how was there any question who had the better chance to play in an NFL game? The most ludicrous part was drafting a QB in the 3rd round to begin with, but given that dumbass decision why not take a flyer on the guy with some talent. This decision doesn't really hurt as that much, but I think it again goes to show you the incompetence we are dealing with.
1-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree, but it is 20/20 backside vision. Heck, the whole state of Texas would have drafted Major Applewhite, let alone anyone else, over Simms if they were a GM.
Old 11-14-2005   #3
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

First you have to give Ragone a chance before you pass a judgement on this one. And 2 rookie starts dont count...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #4
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
First you have to give Ragone a chance before you pass a judgement on this one. And 2 rookie starts dont count...
I have been as brutal as anyone on Ragone and I even agree that until he plays some or is released that final judgement should not be passed.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #5
real

why don't they let ragone play, he couldnt do that much worse than carr or banks... could he?
Old 11-14-2005   #6
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
why don't they let ragone play, he couldnt do that much worse than carr or banks... could he?
That's the thing. The front office and coaching staff are scared that Ragone will come in, perform well and start a QB controversy. Something they dont want, especially with Carr's option coming up.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Old 11-14-2005   #7
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
That's the thing. The front office and coaching staff are scared that Ragone will come in, perform well and start a QB controversy. Something they dont want, especially with Carr's option coming up.
You know something Fiddy? I think you are probably pretty close on that one.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-14-2005   #8
College Texan
Veteran

ragone will be a good back up for a long time for us, unless someone amkes us an offer we can't refuse
College Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 297218 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Wink [speculation]

Quote:
Good take. I agree.

Ragone is Mr. NFL Europe. I mean, he can't be all that bad, 'eh? I know it's a minor league and all, but he's still got to have something to get that award regardless.

Maybe Ragone is actually our QB of the future, and we're just trying to get our act together before throwing him into the fire and shell-shocking another QB...

[/speculation]
Old 11-14-2005   #10
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

All I can point to is that Ragone has excelled at every level where he has had solid playing time. He deserves a chance to see if that continues at the highest level - wouldn't it be great if he does well, and does it here rather than somewhere else?

The way this season is going, at the end of the year we should have no young players on the team about whom the coaches can continue to say "we don't know how good he is since he hasn't had a chance to play".
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #11
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
All I can point to is that Ragone has excelled at every level where he has had solid playing time. He deserves a chance to see if that continues at the highest level - wouldn't it be great if he does well, and does it here rather than somewhere else?

The way this season is going, at the end of the year we should have no young players on the team about whom the coaches can continue to say "we don't know how good he is since he hasn't had a chance to play".
I agree...if not sooner, as soon as we get mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, we should see what all of the other guys can do. Guys like Ragone, Hollings, and any of the other unproven players.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I am sorry, but this is a fan theory only that just doesn't hold up to reality. There is no way Casserly and Capers are going to blissfully be ridden out of town on a 2-14 season thinking man am I glad no one knows Ragone gave us a better chance to win some of those games. These guys are fighting for their jobs. I don't agree with how they are going about it, but I seriously doubt they are making any conscious decision which they feel gives them less of a chance of winning.
Old 11-14-2005   #13
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
I am sorry, but this is a fan theory only that just doesn't hold up to reality. There is no way Casserly and Capers are going to blissfully be ridden out of town on a 2-14 season thinking man am I glad no one knows Ragone gave us a better chance to win some of those games. These guys are fighting for their jobs. I don't agree with how they are going about it, but I seriously doubt they are making any conscious decision which they feel gives them less of a chance of winning.
I agree it's totally my speculation but this is how I see it:

They are damned if they do, damned if they dont. If they play Ragone and he comes in now and plays well, the questions to Capers will be "why didnt he get in sooner" and the questions to Casserly would be "where did the Carr pick go wrong and what did you see in him?" We could go out on a nice little win streak this season and Capers and Casserly are still gone. Casserly and Capers were going to fail from day 1 if Carr didnt pan out. It was their pick, they were in love with him and they thought he was gonna be an All-Pro.

Casserly and Capers are done and they have loyalty ties to Carr because they are the ones that let him endure all those sacks. Carr stuck up for those guys when he was hitting turf. Casserly and Capers probably feel obiligated to stick with Carr because they put him in this situation.

Old 11-14-2005   #14
1-3
Veteran

Ragone is behind Tony Banks. FWIW 610's Matt Jackson says he looks like crap in every practice he's witnessed (about 90% of them).
1-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #15
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-3
Ragone is behind Tony Banks. FWIW 610's Matt Jackson says he looks like crap in every practice he's witnessed (about 90% of them).
and, I guess, Carr looks good in practice and you can see what he does in a game...

Old 11-15-2005   #16
Nighthawk
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtech9
as soon as we get mathematically eliminated from the playoffs
son, that IS funny.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #17
Nighthawk
All Pro

Quote:
I am sorry, but this is a fan theory only that just doesn't hold up to reality. There is no way Casserly and Capers are going to blissfully be ridden out of town on a 2-14 season thinking man am I glad no one knows Ragone gave us a better chance to win some of those games.
I don't buy it. Capers hasn't a clue what Ragone (or Banks, for that matter) would or could do if given substantial playing time over half a season. The Carr thing was a setup from day one and Capers and Casserly will go down in flames before giving him up.

I'm not sure that Ragone or Banks could do better than Carr, but I am pretty sure they could not do worse.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk
I don't buy it. Capers hasn't a clue what Ragone (or Banks, for that matter) would or could do if given substantial playing time over half a season. The Carr thing was a setup from day one and Capers and Casserly will go down in flames before giving him up.

I'm not sure that Ragone or Banks could do better than Carr, but I am pretty sure they could not do worse.
So Capers and Casserly have no clue what Ragone can do despite watching him for 3 years now, and he clearly isn't as good in practice as Carr, but secretly they harbor a fear that he actually will win games so they don't play him.

Welcome to the MB Mr. Stone. You obviously don't need a tour as you have already found Conspiracy LaLa Land.
Old 11-15-2005   #19
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So Capers and Casserly have no clue what Ragone can do despite watching him for 3 years now, and he clearly isn't as good in practice as Carr, but secretly they harbor a fear that he actually will win games so they don't play him.

Welcome to the MB Mr. Stone. You obviously don't need a tour as you have already found Conspiracy LaLa Land.
This the third or fourth time Ragone has been brought up that some similair idea existed. I would buy the idea that Capers and casserly have misevaluated Ragone, but for some reason a good portion of fans can't through their head that if Ragone can't beat out a spare Tony Banks in three seasons he is closer to out of the league than challenging for the starting QB.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #20
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Sims is a real head-case. I got to watch him at Texas. He played great so long as nobody was watching the game, but as soon as he got in a nationally-televised game, he lost his head. The pressure got to him and he would throw a bunch of interceptions. I was hoping that he would learn and grow in TB. I'm pretty sure that's what Gruden was thinking, too, but as much as I want the kid to succeed like his dad did, he's looking pretty bad. One good game does not cure everything. Let's see how he's doing after the next three or four.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read