Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 02-13-2006   #41
nflnutswife
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 926 nflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Chicken Spaghetti

use up your left over chicken with this:

about 3-4 cups shredded or cut up cooked chicken
1 bell pepper-chopped
3-4 stalks celery-chopped
2 cups of chicken broth
1-12 oz. pkg spaghetti
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1lb grated velveeta cheese
1-2oz. jar of diced pimento
2 tsp parsley flakes
2-3 Tbs dried italian salad dressing mix
1/2 tsp accent
salt/pepper
1/2 cup buttered bread crumbs

Cook bellpepper/celery in broth until tender. Cook speghetti. Combine all other ingredients exceptbread crumbs.
Put the mixture into a 3 quart greased casserole. Top with buttered bread crumbs and bake at 350 for about 30min or so.

YUM!!!!!!!!
Old 02-17-2006   #42
MikeMc
All Pro

"Real TX Chili" is too bland......I go with either Chili Con Carne New Mexico style, or my family's recipe.

I know most of the Blue Crew had it back in '03 when the fellas from Buffalo, NY came in to grade the Texans facilities/tailgate. They loved it and so did a lot of you...it is very hearty!!

Here is the recipe:

2 lbs ground beef
5 Garlic cloves (chopped)
1 large onion (chopped)
5 tbls chili powder
12 oz dark beer (Shiner Bock)
2 cans Tomato paste (8 oz cans)
2 cans Kidney beans (15-16 oz cans)
2 cans Tomato Sauce (15-16 oz cans)
2 cans Pinto beans (15-16 oz cans)
2 cans Ro-tel tomatoes (hot)

*2 Jalapeño peppers seeded & diced
*Cayenne pepper to desired heat

Brown meat in a skillet and drain. Add onion, meat and beer in large pot. Simmer 30 minutes while adding chili powder. Add remaining ingredients.
Cook on low for 4 hours.

*Optional “heat-additives” should be added after 2 hours of cook time.

Someone should have my Hamburger recipe.....I think I gave it to LongHorn Babe a while back. Still a fav with everyone. I have three new Burger recipes that I have invented over the past few years. Buffalo & Turkey burgers seem to be the ones people love now.
Old 02-17-2006   #43
nflnutswife
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 926 nflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Beef Chili Stew

It's gonna be cold tonight so here's what's for dinner at Nuts Wifes house.
Get out your crock pot/slow cooker
1 28oz can of whole tomatoes, lightly squished with your hands
1 10oz can chopped tomatoes and green chili peppers
2 cups V-8 juice or plain tomatoe juice (boring)
2 tbs chili powder
1 tea cumin
1 tea dried oregano
3 cloves garlic minced
1 1/2 pounds stew beef (cubed)
2 cups chopped onions
1 1/2 cups chopped celery
1 cup chopped green sweet pepper (if u get bell pepper get red)greens not sweet JMO
2 -15 oz cans black, kidney,and or garbanzo beans rinsed and drained

Toppers - shredded mexican cheese, sour cream, chopped green onion, sliced olives: get the picture? put what ever you want on top.

Stick it all in the pot except the beans and cook for 8-10 hours - Mine is cooking while I'm at work!

about 1/2 hour before finished (when meat pulls apart loosly) add the beans.

I think I'll make some sweet corn bread/ n butter with it!
Old 02-17-2006   #44
nflnutswife
Hall of Fame

Oh Mikie, looks like we had the same idea! Yum, I just copied yours too!
Old 02-21-2006   #45
MikeMc
All Pro

I need to try the cubes of sirloin. I hear it is yummmy!
Old 02-21-2006   #46
nflnutswife
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc
I need to try the cubes of sirloin. I hear it is yummmy!
Cooked for several hours, the meat just shreds apart. I served it over hot white rice.
I'll try yours too. My family loves chili.
By the way, has no one tried that Mac n Cheese recipe? I really want someone to fix it and give a report. It is SOOOOOOOOO good!
Old 02-21-2006   #47
MikeMc
All Pro

I bet that Chicken Spaghetti recipe would work well with T-Giving leftovers! Always trying to find new ways to use the turkey! Quesadillas, breakfast tacos, enchilladas........notice a theme? Something other than Mexican food would be nice!
Old 02-27-2006   #48
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 63 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc
"Real TX Chili" is too bland......I go with either Chili Con Carne New Mexico style, or my family's recipe.

I know most of the Blue Crew had it back in '03 when the fellas from Buffalo, NY came in to grade the Texans facilities/tailgate. They loved it and so did a lot of you...it is very hearty!!

Here is the recipe:

2 lbs ground beef
5 Garlic cloves (chopped)
1 large onion (chopped)
5 tbls chili powder
12 oz dark beer (Shiner Bock)
2 cans Tomato paste (8 oz cans)
2 cans Kidney beans (15-16 oz cans)
2 cans Tomato Sauce (15-16 oz cans)
2 cans Pinto beans (15-16 oz cans)
2 cans Ro-tel tomatoes (hot)

*2 Jalapeño peppers seeded & diced
*Cayenne pepper to desired heat

Brown meat in a skillet and drain. Add onion, meat and beer in large pot. Simmer 30 minutes while adding chili powder. Add remaining ingredients.
Cook on low for 4 hours.

*Optional “heat-additives” should be added after 2 hours of cook time.

Someone should have my Hamburger recipe.....I think I gave it to LongHorn Babe a while back. Still a fav with everyone. I have three new Burger recipes that I have invented over the past few years. Buffalo & Turkey burgers seem to be the ones people love now.
I did a pot of Yankee Chili (with beans and tons of tomato) last week. I tried different peppers in there too, was a nice change. Next experiment, letting Doc smoke the peppers before I use them in the chili......
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #49
nflnutswife
Hall of Fame

So I'm thinkin no one cooks during the offseason?????

Well, here's a tip for ya. Went to this years rodeo several times. While shopping in the reliant center, there was a booth selling BBQ stuff. They were cooking pigs and chicken, then handing out samples with different sauces on them. They were so good I bought several, some for gifts too!

Here is what I did: Par-boiled a few pounds of country style pork ribs with a small quartered onion for 1-1/2 - 2 hrs. Take them out and slather with this stuff (Fat *******s Gourmet Hawgwash Glaze) put into air tight container overnight. The next day throw um on the grill and brush on some more sauce when they are almost done.

They were so good, I promise to have them tailgating this year.

Last edited by nflnutswife; 04-07-2006 at 03:41 PM.
nflnutswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #50
nflnutswife
Hall of Fame

OK Carrie, If you want your carmel cheetos to remain a secret family recipe I'll have to respect that. BUTTTTTTT PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!! It was great seeing y'all Draft day!
Old 05-06-2006   #51
LonghornBabe
Tubin' Chic

Rep Power: 573 LonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LonghornBabe Send a message via Yahoo to LonghornBabe

Please tell..what is a carmel cheeto?? Sounds interesting!!

Kimberly
Check out my blog at kimberlyskakery.com
LonghornBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006   #52
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Ok hers another one for you. And let me tell you, this one is a REAL winner. I just made it yesterday, and boy it was awesome!!

Real Texas Peach Cobbler

Fruit mixture:
6 tablespoons tapioca
6-7 cups fresh, sliced Texas peaches
1 cup sugar
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg

Cobbler dough:
½ cup butter (softened)
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1½ cups milk
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Cobbler topping:
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
Sprinkled cinnamon
Sprinkled nutmeg (light)
½ cup boiling water

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375oF. In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients to make fruit mixture. Mix thoroughly. Pour into a buttered 9”x13” baking dish.

In a bowl, mix thoroughly all ingredients for cobbler dough. Spread over fruit mixture.

In another bowl, mix together dry cobbler topping ingredients. Sprinkle evenly over cobbler dough layer. Pour boiling water over cobbler.

Bake 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until inserted knife comes out clean and top has golden crust.

YUM!!!
Old 05-08-2006   #53
nflnutswife
Hall of Fame

Default Carrie!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornBabe
Please tell..what is a carmel cheeto?? Sounds interesting!!
Come on Carrie. . .Inquiring minds WANT some!!!!!!!!
Old 05-09-2006   #54
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Its no carmel cheeto,

but here is a recipe for some fried oreos that taste awesome!! If you've ever been to a rodeo fair and had some, you'll know how good (and terrible for you!!) these guys are. If you haven't, you should really try them at least once. You'll not regret it I promise!

Ingredients:
Instant Pancake Mix
Water
Vanilla Extract
Powdered Sugar
Canola Oil

Mix up a small mixing bowl's worth of instant pancake mix, and add water until the consistency is just slightly thicker than you'd need for cooking. Add some vanilla extract to give it a little more taste

Heat up oil in a small pot or frying pan until it becomes very hot but not boiling

Drop each oreo into the mix, and rotate until its totally covered. Place each pancake mix covered oreo into the oil and let it sit until the side facing the oil turns golden brown (they float, and this should take at most 5-10 seconds). Flip, and once the other side is brown, remove and place on a paper towel to dry. Add some powdered sugar, and enjoy!
Old 05-09-2006   #55
nflnutswife
Hall of Fame

Gonna try the oreo's soon, but the cobbler is desert for tonight!

Old 05-20-2006   #56
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
I would be especially interested in hearing people's chilli recipes, as I have yet to find a good one. I generally just dump in a bunch of ground sirloin, some tomatoes, some onions, kidney beans, garlic, chili powder, and paprika. It just tastes so plain
I have a great Chilli Chicken recipe.

Ingredients:
2 chicken breasts
Chili Powder
Couple cans tomoatoes
Sweetcorn - 1 can
Rice

Get a couple of chicken breasts, chop them into cubes.

Heat some oil in a frying pan and thrown in the chicken, at the same time mix in your chilli powder. I use a heaped teaspoon and that hits the spot.

Fry the chicken in the chilli powder, once its done add the tomatoes - I use cans of whole tomaotes and leave them whole. Add in your sweetcorn.

Serve on a bed of rice.

Last edited by mancunian; 05-20-2006 at 07:38 AM.
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #57
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nflnutswife
Gonna try the oreo's soon, but the cobbler is desert for tonight!

How'd the recipe turn out?? I really hope you liked it!
Old 05-28-2006   #58
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91511 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nflnutswife
OK, just tried this last night. WOW what a mac N cheese, have to tell you it's expensive but if you want to make an impression on dinner guests, wholy cow and I mean the WHOLE cow!

3 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
1 1/2 cups jack and cheddar cheese shredded
10 oz velveta cheese cut into squares
10 oz white vermont cheddar cheese (i used new york)
15 oz gruyere' cheese shredded
4 oz cream cheese room temp
2/3 cups sour cream
1 1/3 cup half n half
1 1/3 cup heavy cream
1 egg
2-3 tbs flour
1 tbs worcheshire sauce
1 tea garlic powder,1 tea onion powder, 1 tea dry mustard, pinch of cayenne pepper pinch of nutmeg salt n pepper to taste.

Are ya gettin the idea this is not the typical 5 year olds, I got the "BLUES" mac n cheese?

This stuff is fantastic!

butter up a 13 x 9 baking dish. oven 350. Cook macaroni until firm not REAL done. "drain well" and pour into buttered dish, set aside. In a large mixing bowl, add half and half, heavy cream, sour cream, cream cheese (in small soft pieces) add egg, flour, worcheshire, all spices except paprika that's for the top, and whisk thourghly. A little lumpy is ok.
place the cheese squares all over the top of macaroni and push down with fingers to sink um in. Now sprinkle the Gruyere' shredded cheese over the top
of that. Pour the artery clogging cream mixture evenly over the top of that. Take your fingers and poke a few holes into the dish to let the cream sink down some more. Now spread the jack and cheddar cheese over the top of that, sprinkle w/ paprika and put this baby into the oven for about 30-45 minutes until it's browned and bubbly. A one way ticket to paradise to say the least! Butter my butt and call me a bisquit, this is comfort food!
I want feed back on this one!!!!!!!!
Good God in Heaven! Lady, are you trying to send me to an early grave or what?

I've always been a mac N cheese freak, and I try all kinds of recipes, but yours has got to be one of the richest I've ever come across. Not very often I see one that has both cream cheese and heavy cream? I am going to do this recipe, but I got to wait until we have a lot of company over, or I'll be idiotic enough to eat the whole thing myself. I have absolutely no self control when it comes to mac N cheese. And yes, I don't care for the bland box recipes that the kids like. I go for the ones that kids hate. The sharper the cheese, the better. So, if I modify your recipe, it will be to add more tang. It will depend on how many kids will be in the company mix, though.

So do me a big favor, and lay off the "Anyone try the Mac N Cheese recipe yet?" line, OK? You're killing me!

(All that heavy cream is to keep the mixture from curdling in the oven, right?)
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006   #59
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

This is something interesting I found the other day and tried it out, pretty decent.

Beefy Vidalia Onion

Ingredients:
1 Jumbo Sweet Vidalia® Onion (or 1015 if your from Texas)
2 Beef boullion cubes
1/4 stick of butter

Peel the single dry layer from the onion and carve a hole, about 3/4 to 1 inch wide and about 2 1/2 inches deep, creating a pocket. Drop one or two beef boullion cubes to the bottom of the hole and pack the rest up with butter.

Wrap the onion in aluminum foil and place it on a medium grill for about an hour. It can stay on the grill for the duration of your cooking (I don't think I've ever actually overcooked one of these). When you're ready to eat, place the onion, still wrapped, in a bowl and remove the foil. Slice it into eigths and serve with dinner.

It's easy and pretty tasty also not as bad for you as a bloomin onion.
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006   #60
nflnutswife
Hall of Fame

Went to a Pot Luck Party Saturday. One of the guests brought a Corn Casserole dish, it was very good had to ask for the recipe. Made it last night with Chile and cheese topped off w/ dollop of sour cream.

2 boxes of Jiffy corn bread mix
2 cups milk
2 eggs
2 cups sour cream
1 can cream style corn
1 can sweet whole kernel corn
minced onion to taste
salt/pepper
Mix it all up
350 1 hour in greased 9 x 13
I cut this recipe in half and it came out great!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read