Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

View Poll Results: Who would be your first choice to build an offense around?
Peyton Manning 16 41.03%
Tom Brady 4 10.26%
Donovan McNabb 1 2.56%
LaDanian Tomlinson 14 35.90%
Shaun Alexander 1 2.56%
Edgerrin James 0 0%
Randy Moss 1 2.56%
Terrell Owens 0 0%
Steve Smith 0 0%
Orlando Pace 2 5.13%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-2005   #1
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle
Default Who would you choose to build an NFL franchise around?

I would have to choose Peyton Manning, although LT and Shaun Alexander make strong cases too.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #2
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I gather you are talking about players so I would say Peyton Manning.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #3
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

LT! he does it all...he runs, catches, and throws for TD's
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #4
TexanAlmighty
Veteran

Lt!
Old 11-14-2005   #5
GoPats
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 GoPats is on the Pro-Bowl ballotGoPats is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I think you have to start with a QB. Of the three on your list, Brady is the youngest and has proven more durable than McNabb. Manning may be the better overall QB, but I took age into account.
Old 11-14-2005   #6
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPats
I think you have to start with a QB. Of the three on your list, Brady is the youngest and has proven more durable than McNabb. Manning may be the better overall QB, but I took age into account.
And you're a Patriot fan...

Gimme L.T.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #7
GoPats
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 GoPats is on the Pro-Bowl ballotGoPats is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
And you're a Patriot fan...

Gimme L.T.
All I know is that the Pats won two Super Bowls with Antowain Smith as their running back. There haven't been too many teams that have won it all without a great QB (Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, etc, but those teams were known for their Ds). I just think it's a more important position... has nothing to do with which team I like the most. Hey, I didn't put Brady's name in the poll.
Old 11-14-2005   #8
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

LT. No more needed.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #9
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
All I know is that the Pats won two Super Bowls with Antowain Smith as their running back. There haven't been too many teams that have won it all without a great QB (Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, etc, but those teams were known for their Ds). I just think it's a more important position... has nothing to do with which team I like the most. Hey, I didn't put Brady's name in the poll.
Don't tell me your not bias towards Brady, he is your QB, I understand. I bet most Colts fans would take Manning. I'm not saying there is no reason to take either, they are great players, but one of your factors for taking Brady is that you see him every week. If the poll was "which WR would you build a team around" and AJ was on the list, I'd be bias towards him.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #10
real

Quote:
trent dilfer and brad johnson weren't that hot
Old 11-14-2005   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Tom Brady in a heartbeat. He might not put up the numbers and all that jazz, but he's cool under pressure and doesn't get rattled.

He's 9-0 in the postseason, and has a 61%+ completion percentage since 2001. In addition, I read recently that he's already got well over 20 come-from-behind winning drives in the 4th quarter/overtime, and the guy is in his mid 20's!

Even Joe Montana, the man himself, said Brady is the next Joe Montana. And who can argue with three NFL Championships in four years?

Never underestimate the heart of a champion!

I'd pick LT, but RBs have a tendency to wear out by their 30s. A good QB can last well into his late 30's if he's protected and takes care of himself.
Old 11-14-2005   #12
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

"Other"

(Michael Vick)
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #13
jags98
Veteran

Quote:
Running the ball allows the offense to sustain long drives and also sets up the pass. Id take LT.
jags98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #14
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I will take LT for $1000 Alex.
Old 11-14-2005   #15
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

LT...Let Me Count the Reasons Why:

1. Great Runner
2. Great Receiver
3. Great Blocker
4. Great Passer
5. Great Guy
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #16
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Other.

When building an NFL team you have to have a good Offenisve line. The most important player on the Oline is the LT. Thus I would select Walter Jones, LT from Seattle. he creates huge holes for Shaun Alexander and can do so for any runner. While a good Qb is nice to have, and a versatile runner would be great, you have to have someone to protect them and open up holes for them.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #17
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst
Other.

When building an NFL team you have to have a good Offenisve line. The most important player on the Oline is the LT. Thus I would select Walter Jones, LT from Seattle. he creates huge holes for Shaun Alexander and can do so for any runner. While a good Qb is nice to have, and a versatile runner would be great, you have to have someone to protect them and open up holes for them.
youre just saying that because youre used to watching the pathetic texans line, if you were a denver fan where they always have a good line youd probably be saying quaterback or some other skill position. If you have a decent o-line with outrageous skill players, then that equals victory
Old 11-14-2005   #18
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

I think i would go with other either Eli Manning or Carson palmer im taking Youth in to consideration.

Last edited by Napa Auto Parts; 11-14-2005 at 11:31 PM.
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #19
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
youre just saying that because youre used to watching the pathetic texans line, if you were a denver fan where they always have a good line youd probably be saying quaterback or some other skill position. If you have a decent o-line with outrageous skill players, then that equals victory

Denver has a pretty solid line. look at the top rushers and teams, what do they have in common? A Good O-Line. priest has constantly had a good oline in KC. Sae thing for LT in SD and Alexander in Seattle. how about peyton and Edge in Indy or the infmaous Pittsburg line? The li9st goes on and on. Face it, without a Line, an amazing back is average at best hurt a lot at worst.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #20
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I completely agree with your notion that to have any success you must have a good line. But that statement proves why LT is so good. The guy had absolutely no line for a few years and was still one of the top performing players in the league.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read