Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-14-2005   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default ST Coach Marciano has the right attitude

"You've got to take chances," Marciano said. "You can't come up here and win a game playing conservative. You can say, 'Look, you gave them the ball back. Ah, geez.' But you've got to take a chance to make a play."
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3458451
The ST unit is the one group that has been consistantly solid performers
this season, maybe its because of their coach ? When we had a 4th and 2
deep in Indy territory, I think Marciano would have gone for it. But Capers
kicks a FG - I was dumbfounded by his decision. Since when do you beat
Indy with FGs. And if you're already 1-7, what's to lose anyway ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #2
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 24376 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Um, not quite sure the spin youy're going for on this, but Marciano was talking about Orr getting some pressure on the punter... not so much the 4th down play we had.

If that's not what you were going for, apologies. No telling what Marciano would have done though in Caper's shoes. Some assistant coaches can't make it as a head coach.... um.... no buck shot intended for others.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #3
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4toZ
Um, not quite sure the spin youy're going for on this, but Marciano was talking about Orr getting some pressure on the punter... not so much the 4th down play we had.

If that's not what you were going for, apologies. No telling what Marciano would have done though in Caper's shoes. Some assistant coaches can't make it as a head coach.... um.... no buck shot intended for others.
Spin ? Hey man, I'm not sophisticated enough to spin anything, that's best left to the more clever type posters on this Board like yourself. I'm just
talking about his general philosophy about playing Indy when he says things like "you have to take chances" when you playing in Indy and you can't be conservative, which is exactly what Capers was when he settled for 3 points
when he 4th & 2 deep in the second half (and behind by 11 points).
And that's what Marcinao was doing when the block was on and Orr did his
job and got a piece of the ball. His philosophy worked, except that the refs
blew the call.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #4
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

That's like near the end of the 1st half when I said we needed to go balls out and try to score and get within 7 by the half. The defense stoped the Colts, we had two timeouts left, and a minute or so on the clock. We don't even try to get in field goal distance knowing we get the ball to start the 2nd half. Its crazy. If we score we put ourselves in position to get within a touchdown or put ourselves into a position to take a lead after another TD. Its called stradigy. We run the clock out. Just when the Colts are vulnerable we flop. And guess what we did score starting the 2nd half. Indy would have been feeling the pressure and who knows what would have happened. No, the 1st play of the game told you how they were going to play the game and they did. As far as I was concerned that was the ball game and it was. I will tell you I would be willing to take Marciano over almost anyone else on this staff. Pendry is as big a problem as Capers and may be even more so as he is the god father of the O-line, zone Blocking, and the current offense. I still thinks he wants Caper's job and God help us if he gets it. I'm sorry, but he may be the biggest problem of all, but is thought of as the saviour.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #5
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

I like the idea of "we have nothing to lose". The thing is if we do get the 1st down then everyone will love our coaches and offense for a brief minute but if we dont get it they will be hated throughout the week about why did we go for it why didnt we just settle for the field goal. Why cant we just appreciate the fact we have a team.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #6
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I havebeen a public supporter on this board to give Marciano the HC job for the rest of the season, but I get laughed at.

And what is said about this guy in this thread is what I have been saying. He has the proper outlook and his unit plays at a high level with a lot of consistency week in and week out.

To not give a guy like this a chance at least for the interim for the rest of the seaosn is a travesty.

And by the way, Orr was shoved (maybe not hard) but he WAS blccked and kinda' pushed into the punter a little...so technically, the ref could have let that go. There was no blatant attempt to kill the punter, and that rule just stinks to high heaven because it gets abused by the refs too much.

Give this guy a chance, McNair. He's a heck of a lot more in tune with the players than Dom Capers is.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #7
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Keep Marciano and Hoke, the rest can go.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-15-2005   #8
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 24376 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Spin ? Hey man, I'm not sophisticated enough to spin anything, that's best left to the more clever type posters on this Board like yourself. I'm just
talking about his general philosophy about playing Indy when he says things like "you have to take chances" when you playing in Indy and you can't be conservative, which is exactly what Capers was when he settled for 3 points
when he 4th & 2 deep in the second half (and behind by 11 points).
And that's what Marcinao was doing when the block was on and Orr did his
job and got a piece of the ball. His philosophy worked, except that the refs
blew the call.
Ah, gotcha. Didn't quite follow what you were going for in the original post. Thanks. (and didn't need the sarcasm).

I agree, the "conservative keep it close till the 4th" style just doesn't do it for quite a few fans. I'd prefer the go into the game ready to slaughter the opposing team and not let up.

Even noted during Capers show on 610 yesterday that they questioned if Capers noticed that the team seems more focused to march down the field the first drive of the game and after the half... he responded he thinks it happens more after the half..... How about a full 60 minutes of focus to expect to drive down the field?

Highly doubtful that's not the expectation, I'm sure... but maybe it's the way it was phrased.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #9
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
I havebeen a public supporter on this board to give Marciano the HC job for the rest of the season, but I get laughed at.

And what is said about this guy in this thread is what I have been saying. He has the proper outlook and his unit plays at a high level with a lot of consistency week in and week out.

To not give a guy like this a chance at least for the interim for the rest of the seaosn is a travesty.

And by the way, Orr was shoved (maybe not hard) but he WAS blccked and kinda' pushed into the punter a little...so technically, the ref could have let that go. There was no blatant attempt to kill the punter, and that rule just stinks to high heaven because it gets abused by the refs too much.

Give this guy a chance, McNair. He's a heck of a lot more in tune with the players than Dom Capers is.

I've commented on a couple of your Marciano threads (and didn't laugh ). I don't think a ST coach has ever been promoted to HC, as there is usually a lot of "total game" stuff they haven't perfected yet. But I wouldn't mind seeing Marciano stick around and I am sure he'll get a chance to coach a different area of the team and expand his total game. It would be a boon for the team, IMO.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005   #10
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
"You've got to take chances," Marciano said. "You can't come up here and win a game playing conservative. You can say, 'Look, you gave them the ball back. Ah, geez.' But you've got to take a chance to make a play."
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3458451
The ST unit is the one group that has been consistantly solid performers
this season, maybe its because of their coach ? When we had a 4th and 2
deep in Indy territory, I think Marciano would have gone for it. But Capers
kicks a FG - I was dumbfounded by his decision. Since when do you beat
Indy with FGs. And if you're already 1-7, what's to lose anyway ?
Why is it that people are praising Marciano for saying we need to take chances, especially since we were 1-7 at the time and now 1-8 (I agree with him that we should be aggressive and take chances), and then they are complaining that Carr took a good chance on that long pass to Bradford at the end of the Jacksonville game?
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005   #11
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
Why is it that people are praising Marciano for saying we need to take chances, especially since we were 1-7 at the time and now 1-8 (I agree with him that we should be aggressive and take chances), and then they are complaining that Carr took a good chance on that long pass to Bradford at the end of the Jacksonville game?
Oh my! What great observation. C'mon people answer him.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005   #12
humbleone
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976

You are spot on with this...Mr. McNair should fire the "C's" after the Chiefs game and let Marciano take them the rest of the way this season.
humbleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005   #13
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbleone
You are spot on with this...Mr. McNair should fire the "C's" after the Chiefs game and let Marciano take them the rest of the way this season.
I agree with you on Marciano, but disagree on Casserly. Actually Casserly has done a good job, but its Pendry and Capers who have single handedly destroyed this ball club. In fact I feel Pendry is the biggest problem of all. I give a pass to Casserly at this point, because I believe the coaching has destroyed any and all talent he has provided up to this point. AJ is a good ball player who is being destroyed by this coaching staff. Carr is in a similar situation. You can look at other young players on this ball club and say the same thing, as well as, verterns. Look at the players this coaching staff has let go. The coaches have as much say or more in terms of who they want and why. Casserly by in large provides them with what they want. A lot of you don't agree with me, but that has been my take for a long time. Capers should have been gone last year along with Pendry. People just didn't believe these guys are that bad. They were and still are.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005   #14
Bullfan
Rookie

I agree with you Ibar! When the new coaches get here and this team does better we'll have our proof that Capers and Pendry are a problem. Unfortunately, alot of our players are so miserable they will probably move on if they can and we'll see them do well on other teams, which will also prove our point about these coaches!
Bullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005   #15
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been complaining about Capers since he was announced as the Texans new head coach. Never liked him. Everyone says he is a good man but that doesn't make him a good head coach and it shouldn't stand in the way of McNair firing him. He should have been fired at the end of last season but all we heard was "we are in a 5 year plan". Most of those people are now all for firing Capers.

Capers can't even bring himself to fire assistants when it is needed. He blew it when he didn't fire Palmer in the offseason and I think he has hung on to Fangio too long also. That cost the players at least being able to learn Pendrys offense (ugly as it is) in camp and preseason. Now it is learn on the fly. Mr. McNair PLEASE send Capers, Pendry, and Fangio packing. This isn't a character contest. It is about who can coach and who can't. You can't argue with the results. We see that every week.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005   #16
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2110
Keep Marciano and Hoke, the rest can go.
Move the team to LA, then all the complainers in H-town will finally get their wish, everyone is gone
Malloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005   #17
CoachJim
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CoachJim Send a message via Yahoo to CoachJim

I'm prolly gonna get roasted for this but ya know the one & only thing I miss about Palmer? It seems that we used to take a few more chances every now & then when he was here (gadget plays, 4th n goal vs Jax). Remember year one? ... Was it Gaff that threw a pass vs Jax? ... The lateral to AG on a punt return. Don't get me wrong, I'm ready to see Dom set packing too. He's a great fundamentals coach but I believe we're past that. That being said, I'd like to see Coach Marciano given the reigns for the remainder of the season too.
Old 11-19-2005   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJim
I'm prolly gonna get roasted for this but ya know the one & only thing I miss about Palmer?
He was the guy that believed in the vertical passing game. Welcome to dink and dunkville.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005   #19
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJim
I'm prolly gonna get roasted for this but ya know the one & only thing I miss about Palmer? It seems that we used to take a few more chances every now & then when he was here (gadget plays, 4th n goal vs Jax). Remember year one? ... Was it Gaff that threw a pass vs Jax? ... The lateral to AG on a punt return...
Not going to roast you, but I will point out a few things. The "Leap of Faith" call in the Jax was Capers' to make. The Gafney throwback to Glenn was a special teams play, and likely cooked up by Marciano. Gafney did throw a TD pass to Bradford the previous week against the Browns. It did seem that Palmer had a fondness for gadget plays, but they're "live by the sword, die by the sword." Remember the Stacy Mack HB pass that was picked off by the Jags in that same leap of faith game? That was a bonehead call. I just don't think Palmer being here the past 7 games would have equated into more wins.

Marciano is clearly the coach of the year for the Texans. Not only for the KO returns by Mathis, but the reduction in special teams penalties. Starting from you own 10 rather that the 35 because of an illegal block makes a big difference. I'm not sure the Texans average 10 points a game without the improved play of special teams. Which is why I would be completely against making Marciano an interim head coach. Don't try to fix one thing by breaking something else. And while I'd like to see Marciano remain as special teams coach next season, that's the next HC's call.
Old 11-19-2005   #20
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Nice points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
Not going to roast you, but I will point out a few things. The "Leap of Faith" call in the Jax was Capers' to make. The Gafney throwback to Glenn was a special teams play, and likely cooked up by Marciano. Gafney did throw a TD pass to Bradford the previous week against the Browns. It did seem that Palmer had a fondness for gadget plays, but they're "live by the sword, die by the sword." Remember the Stacy Mack HB pass that was picked off by the Jags in that same leap of faith game? That was a bonehead call. I just don't think Palmer being here the past 7 games would have equated into more wins.

Marciano is clearly the coach of the year for the Texans. Not only for the KO returns by Mathis, but the reduction in special teams penalties. Starting from you own 10 rather that the 35 because of an illegal block makes a big difference. I'm not sure the Texans average 10 points a game without the improved play of special teams. Which is why I would be completely against making Marciano an interim head coach. Don't try to fix one thing by breaking something else. And while I'd like to see Marciano remain as special teams coach next season, that's the next HC's call.
Agreed.

A few thoughts:

1. I love Marciano. His players love him. I want him to stay.

2. He loves trick stuff and loves thinking about that stuff. They work on fake punt stuff all the time. He has all sorts of tricks handy in case they need something.

3. It may be that he would be a good head coach if that is what he aspires to do, but it would not be the best of circumstances--taking a coach away from the best part of your team in the middle of the season. I don't see anything in his background that suggests to me that he would be the answer to managing the entire team and improving their record. (And of course, if their record improved, was it the coaching or was it the easier schedule).

4. Has there ever been a special teams coach that has been promoted to head coach?

5. I know some folks here like all the emotional coaches and want to ditch the rest. I think you need a mix on a team. Actually, though I know there is all sorts of room to criticize him, I do think that one of the best things Capers has done is to keep the team playing, keep them level headed, and keep them from turning into total chaos. The coach speak gets on your nerves, but to be honest, I like that better than the Van Gundy style dumping your players in the grease publically, and eroding their confidence. (BTW, the Rockets hard early season schedule stinks as much as the Texans schedules did).

I think it would be fine for Capers to caretake the team until they figure out what off-season moves have to happen because it is not likely that there would be some weirdo blowup.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read