Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-13-2005   #1
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Default Next years O-Line

I was just thinking about it and I really dont think that we need to make any huge changes to be respectable. If we are able to get a good Guard or RT in free agency, then it would be great, but I dont think that we need to use more than 2 draft picks on the o-line.

My first pick would definitely be Ferguson, great feet and athleticism, amazing pass blocker and decent run blocker. Then maybe, just maybe we draft another offensive lineman in the 3rd round. But anyway, this is how I see our o-line next year.

LT- D'Brickashaw Ferguson-I already explained this pick

LG- Chester Pitts- Other than the false starts, I really dont see why he cant be a solid guard in this league.

C- Drew Hogdon- he played respectably as a rookie and he will only get better as soon as he can get back on the field.

RG- Steve McKinney- Better Guard than Center

RT- Todd Wade- Not great, but I think that he is our best offensive lineman.

Now we may go in and pick up another guard to replace McKinney, or a RT, but I think this offensive line is good enough to be at least called an average offensive line.
Old 11-13-2005   #2
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

They better draft more than D'Brick in this draft. Im not sold on Wade or McKinney.
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005   #3
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeagle
They better draft more than D'Brick in this draft. Im not sold on Wade or McKinney.
i think mckinney will be gone. its gonna cost a lot to keep him.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005   #4
mean mark8
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth
i think mckinney will be gone. its gonna cost a lot to keep him.
Then who'll make all those great calls for the offensive line?
mean mark8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005   #5
bigcarlos
Veteran

If there is a QB that has confidence in himself and can scramble(maybe someone like Randall Cunningham in his prime) that is available in the draft, we take him, and draft a OL in the second round. If not we take a person that can help on offense that has unbeleivable video game like moves
bigcarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005   #6
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

another possible gem in for the latter rounds:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/...uce_lutui.html

d'brick pitts hogden lutui wade

wade is only kept because he will be acceptable for another year and his killer contract.
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005   #7
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 36225 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

No one to mention as a replacement, but I'm hoping a LT starter, a C backup (cause agree with above Hogdon looked pretty decent to date)., and a couple of TE's THAT WE"LL USE Anything after that is icing.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-13-2005   #8
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

There are two soild to above TE's in the draft this year. We wont take one, because they are not a LT, and will be gone by the second.

Greg Olsen from the U is a guy to watch out for next year. He rivals shocky and is said to be just as good as shocky and K2.
Old 11-13-2005   #9
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80254 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier
RT- Todd Wade- Not great, but I think that he is our best offensive lineman.
When it comes to pass-protection, Wade isn't any better than Seth Wand. Both of them are statues with their feet stuck in molasses. If they draft D'brickashaw, then move Pitts to RT.

Last edited by Marcus; 11-13-2005 at 04:23 PM.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005   #10
1-3
Veteran

LT- D'Brickshaw-LG-(draft pick)-C-Hodgen-RG-Weigert-RT-Pitts
1-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005   #11
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

First I would like to say if we take Vince Young we have 3 more seasons of being the worst in the AFC south. The kid will be a great QB like Cunningham in his prime, but he has alot tons to learn. The line should also if you guys missed the Virginia game and Ferguson's play this injury riddled year.

LT Pitts, LG- Weigert or draftpickor FA, Chodgon or Mckinney or FA, RG Weigert-DP-FA, RT Winston or Wade.

I am saying right now that Winston is the better lineman I have now watched two years of scouting film on each and they are both elite. But if you want a guy that gives more then you go with Winston. The guy is stronger, good feet, great athlete, and a nasty mean streak. The mean streak is the most important thing we need to bring to this offensive line. If anyone wants to debate Winston and Ferguson I am up for it.
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005   #12
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

This is an excellent plan. Bring back 4 of the 5 starters who as a unit were the worst in the NFL. Then put a rookie in the most important role in that unit.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005   #13
touttail
All Pro

I just hope we don't grab some team's injuried player or their cull lineman that not worth a hoot!

booby119C:brickwall
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005   #14
bigcarlos
Veteran

winston can play Te. We could have him switch off certain plays.
Old 11-13-2005   #15
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Winston is 30lbs heavier than Ferguson. you do not play 320lb TEs. But I think I know were you were going with that. A knock on the line, coaches, and lack of TE play. NICE BIGCARLOS>
Old 11-13-2005   #16
tuxedo
Rookie

texans need big larry allen of cowboys
tuxedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005   #17
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
First I would like to say if we take Vince Young we have 3 more seasons of being the worst in the AFC south. The kid will be a great QB like Cunningham in his prime, but he has alot tons to learn. The line should also if you guys missed the Virginia game and Ferguson's play this injury riddled year.

LT Pitts, LG- Weigert or draftpickor FA, Chodgon or Mckinney or FA, RG Weigert-DP-FA, RT Winston or Wade.

I am saying right now that Winston is the better lineman I have now watched two years of scouting film on each and they are both elite. But if you want a guy that gives more then you go with Winston. The guy is stronger, good feet, great athlete, and a nasty mean streak. The mean streak is the most important thing we need to bring to this offensive line. If anyone wants to debate Winston and Ferguson I am up for it.
who is Chodgon?

my veiw of the two, compared of course:

Winston is bigger, and slightly stronger.
Ferguson is much quicker, with longer arms.
Winston is an above average pass blocker, but seems to excell in the run.
Ferguson is the best pass blocker in the nation, and is considered "good" in the run.
Winston is coming off a serious injury.
Ferguson is coming off an injury that cost him a few games.
Winston compares to Orlando Pace
Ferguson compares to Walter Jones
Old 11-13-2005   #18
bigcarlos
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
Winston is 30lbs heavier than Ferguson. you do not play 320lb TEs. But I think I know were you were going with that. A knock on the line, coaches, and lack of TE play. NICE BIGCARLOS>
Out of Hs Winston was one of the top Te in the country, commited to TAMU but switched to Miami, then they put him on the OL.
Old 11-13-2005   #19
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

It was suppose to say C Hogdon, but I mispelled it and left out the space.

Winston is bigger, and much stronger, with good feet and a mean streak
Ferguson is much quicker, with slightly longer arms, great feet, and a lack of a mean streak(look this up with any expert and it is a knock on him)
Ferguson is a great passblocker who is ok in the run game-lack of size really hurts him against the bull rush
Winston is an above average pass blocker, who is a great run blocker
Winston serious injury and in great since the 4th game of the season
Ferguson lots of nagging injuries due to lack of size and just being an olineman
Comparison of Pace and Jones pretty accurate except that Ferguson does not have the mean streak Jones has. I have watched pace handle Freeney and countless other great pass rushers and I personally like the guy who can run block better. We are a running team and I think that is neccessary.

Due to the mean streak and large edge in run blocking Winston is still my guy. What do you think.
Old 11-13-2005   #20
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcarlos
Out of Hs Winston was one of the top Te in the country, commited to TAMU but switched to Miami, then they put him on the OL.
Yes, but out of college he is one of the top OL.

granted, if you had another OT, you could line him up as a second TE in a goal-line situation if you were trying things out.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read