Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-13-2005   #1
1-3
Veteran

Default Chester Pitts looks GREAT

They are so frustrated with Freeney vs. Pitts they are having to move Freeney inside to make things happen. This is a huge bright spot for the team's future if he can keep this up through the end of the year.
1-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005   #2
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been watching that matchup myself.

I guess we don't need D'Brickashaw after all, y'all.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005   #3
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

Pitts is the only guy worth a darn. And yes we need D'brick and a few others lol.
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005   #4
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
I've been watching that matchup myself.

I guess we don't need D'Brickashaw after all, y'all.
Pitts is a better guard that tackle, and Ferguson will be a great LT in the league.
Old 11-13-2005   #5
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier
Pitts is a better guard that tackle, and Ferguson will be a great LT in the league.
Actually, Pitts is a better tackle than guard. Playing tackle requires more agility and quickness than brute stength. Playing guard requires more brute strength.

If they do draft D'Brickashaw, they should move Pitts to RT, as Wade is clearly too slow to play that position. IMO, Wade is just a higher paid Seth Wand.
Old 11-13-2005   #6
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

Pitts is pretty versatile.
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005   #7
1-3
Veteran

I was thinking the same thing about moving Pitts to RT.
1-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-13-2005   #8
Johnny Utah
All Pro

Quote:
Actually, Pitts is a better tackle than guard. Playing tackle requires more agility and quickness than brute stength. Playing guard requires more brute strength.

If they do draft D'Brickashaw, they should move Pitts to RT, as Wade is clearly too slow to play that position. IMO, Wade is just a higher paid Seth Wand.
I agree. I think Pitts would make an awesome RT.
Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005   #9
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

How about an O-line of:

DBrick..McKinny..DHog..Wade...Pitts

Should play to their strengths. Wade is a good run blocker and SHOULD hold up inside on pass, Pitts can run block and is pretty solid at pass protect, we have seen that DHog does will at center, McKinny has been solid a LG and HOPEFULLY DBrick will be as solid at LT as everyone thinks. This looks to me like it could work without having to go out and buy a lot of expensive FA's. We should also pick up a couple of more interior O-line types in late 3-5 rounds. Use the 2nd to pick up the best TE available and the 1st #3 for a defensive player (lineman, LB or DB just the best available at that point).

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005   #10
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yea, this is what many have been suggesting lately. And the skills required to
play tackle are more difficult to find and therefor bring a higher price in the
market. That's why its so difficult to understand how the team could have
wasted Chesters value to the team by playing him at guard and not tackle.
Obviously they should have left him at LT in 2004 instead of moving him to guard and then Wand to LT. Then not playing him at LT at the beginning of this year instead of fooling around with Riley at LT was another move the Texans made which is difficult to comprehend ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005   #11
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
DBrick..McKinny..DHog..Wade...Pitts
I'd like to try that myself. Based on how good the line played before DHog got hurt, I think it would work well.
Old 11-13-2005   #12
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Eric Winston LT Miami is the better tackle. Pitts can play the LT for another half a season while Winston gets his feel for the game at RT and then they will switch and we have the two bookend tackles we have craved for so long. Also I doubt McKinney is back next year due to his inflated salary.

Pitts/Winston, Weigert/FA, Hogdon/FA, Wade, Pitts/Winston
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005   #13
touttail
All Pro

Quote:
as Wade is clearly too slow to play that position. IMO, Wade is just a higher paid Seth Wand.
With Wade's injury who knows?

bobby 119C
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005   #14
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
Also I doubt McKinney is back next year due to his inflated salary.
Could very well be, but you know, I think McKinney does deserve some credit
and he has some value to the team. Like Chester, he always plays and is never out with an injury. He's also versatile as he can play center or guard.
I guess Weigert is definitely better than McKinney, but the guy is injured and on the sidelines a lot of the time.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005   #15
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

If McKinney will agree to some type of extention that gives him a benefit later and decreases our cap so we can play in the FA water this year then he will stay. I also doubt Weigert being around. He has alot of cash tied up in him and I may be wrong but he has not made it through a full season yet. Due to this I will make this change.
Pitts/Winston, McKinney/FA, Hogdon/FA(please spend to get Lecharles Bentley), Wade/Weigert, Pitts/Winston.

Is that better.
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005   #16
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought McKinney looked good at guard.

For all of this promise we are seeing.. Carr is still leading the league in sacks.

Pitts, McKinney, and Hodgdon.. those are the three guys id like to see on our line next season. I wouldnt mind seeing Wand at RT.

But anyway.. I think we could AFFORD to not take a tackle in the first round.. assuming we had someone savvy enough to get us a good Oline prospect or two in the middle rounds.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #17
uhcougar08
SHSUKATS08

Default Chester Pitts-LT

If there is a plus on this line, it is our new found glory-Chester Pitts. For the last 4 games (2 against Freeney) he has looked stellar. His quick feet help him alot. I don't know about yall, but I think we have found something here. I personally am thrilled that Capers is keeping him where he belongs, Left Tackle!!!
Old 11-14-2005   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
Eric Winston LT Miami is the better tackle. Pitts can play the LT for another half a season while Winston gets his feel for the game at RT and then they will switch and we have the two bookend tackles we have craved for so long. Also I doubt McKinney is back next year due to his inflated salary.

Pitts/Winston, Weigert/FA, Hogdon/FA, Wade, Pitts/Winston
if the Texans trade down but stay in the top 10 (aquire 1st rd pick from a Cleveland for example) and select Winston why could'nt the Texans still leave Pitts set at LT and move Eric to LG, he is great in run blocking & likes to pancake guys, plus his lateral movement is not as quick as it used to be, I think he would make an outstanding LG and Pitts until proven otherwise should be the Texans LT.

LT Pitts LG Winston C Hogdon RG Weigert/Draft pick/FA RT Wade/Draft pick/FA
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #19
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's take a deep breath here. Yes, Pitts has looked pretty good but he has been getting a lot of double team help. Not just against Freeney but against Seattle as well. Yes, "everyone" double teams Freeney, I know that. Just don't give Pitts all the credit for handling Freeney. The coaches pretty much restricted our offense to double team both DEs.

Again, yes he's done pretty well. Heck - he even gets irritated that he is getting so much help. Maybe the coaches need to loosen up a bit.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #20
uhcougar08
SHSUKATS08

Actually, I am so up about this guy, I had my wife watching with me every time we were on O and I did nothing but watch him the whole game. He didnt get much help with any double teams the whole game. They actually had the TE on the right side most of the game. It seems like they think he can hold his own over there, so why not double team the other side to try and create a pocket.

As for draft, get a LT and put him at RT the first year, if hes not ready, because Pitts is.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read