Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The worst teams and what their primary needs are:

gtexan02

Working?
This is excluding coaches:

Houston Texans: LT primary; LB, TE secondary
Texans need to take a franchise LT first, no ifs ands or butts about it. Some playmaking LBs and a TE who can block and receive are the next most pressing

Cleveland Browns: QB primary
Browns need someone to lead this team.

Greenbay Packers: Secondary primary
Greenbay has a good vet QB with a good, young backup. They really need some playmaking corners or safeties.

The Saints: Secondary/LB primary
The Saints are just underachievers. They have a good offense and some playmakers on defense, but just can't win games

San Francisco 49ers: WR primary
Brandon Lloyd should not be your primary WR target. Give Smith time to develop

Arizona Cardinals: RB primary, QB secondary
Their leading rusher in every game so far this season has never broken 55 yards. As much as they need a QB, a RB would really open up their passing game

Baltimore Ravens: QB primary
Boller is a backup. Plain and simple

New York Jets: QB primary
I dont think Pennington will be back. And you don't want Testeverde to be your franchise QB

MorKnolle

All Pro
gtexan02 said:

Texans need to take a franchise LT first, no ifs ands or butts about it. Some playmaking LBs and a TE who can block and receive are the next most pressing

Cleveland Browns: QB primary
Browns need someone to lead this team.

Greenbay has a good vet QB with a good, young backup. They really need some playmaking corners or safeties.

The Saints: Secondary/LB primary
The Saints are just underachievers. They have a good offense and some playmakers on defense, but just can't win games

San Francisco 49ers: WR primary
Brandon Lloyd should not be your primary WR target. Give Smith time to develop

Arizona Cardinals: RB primary, QB secondary
Their leading rusher in every game so far this season has never broken 55 yards. As much as they need a QB, a RB would really open up their passing game

Baltimore Ravens: QB primary
Boller is a backup. Plain and simple

New York Jets: QB primary
I dont think Pennington will be back. And you don't want Testeverde to be your franchise QB
I had been meaning to start a similar thread but you beat me to it. Not a bad post, but why does no one put Tennessee in with this group of teams? They are 2-7 and look horrible, yet any thread like this always leaves them off the list of the worst teams. Here's my take on things:

Houston Texans: LT, LB, CB, OL, S
We definitely need a LT-quality player in the first round, then an athletic, playmaking LB/DE (pass-rushing DE if we switch to a 4-3), a shut-down corner to play with Dunta (if one is available), another OL if there are any good ones left, and then a S. We could maybe use a TE but that entirely depends on the offensive system that we will run next year.

Cleveland Browns: QB, WR, DL, OL
Cleveland definitely needs a QB and there are several top choices available, although they did get Charlie Frye last year. They drafted Braylon Edwards last year and he should end up being good, but other than him they just have a few fast WR that aren't real good. They also lost their entire DL to Denver last year and lack depth there. Their OL is mostly solid but a OT wouldn't hurt.

Green Bay Packers: LB, RB, DB
The Packers definitely need defensive help, mainly in the linebacker and defensive back areas, and they could be looking for another RB since Ahman Green has had some injury problems and may not be as effective after his current knee problem.

New Orleans Saints: LB, DB, QB?, DT
Another team in need of defensive help. May also be looking for a QB to replace Aaron Brooks since he is yet to lead the team to a decent record and is turnover-prone. Their DEs have put up decent numbers but their DTs seem to be lacking.

San Francisco 49ers: RB, WR, CB
Their offensive woes have been plentiful ever since Garcia and Owens left. They have tried to make Barlow a solid RB but he can't seem to average over 3.3 yards per carry. Gore has done alright but nothing special, so the 49ers might look to Reggie Bush. They also need more good WRs and can't seem to defend against the pass at all.

Arizona Cardinals: OL, QB, CB, LB
They drafted J.J. Arrington last year, so I doubt they'll look for a RB. Other than Leonard Davis, their OL is not good at all. The Kurt Warner experiment hasn't done much and I'm not sure their sold on McCown being their leader, so they may look for a QB.

Baltimore Ravens: QB, WR, DE
It is clear to most people in the NFL that Boller is not the answer at QB, but I'm not sure the Ravens are willing to admit that yet, but with so many good QBs in the draft I see them taking one early and giving Boller one more chance. They still need WRs after bringing in Clayton and Mason, but more importantly they need someone that can get the ball to them. Now that they are back in the 4-3 they might want another pass-rushing DE to go along with Suggs.

New York Jets: QB, WR
Testaverde and Bollinger can't carry the team and Pennington may not be able to play a full season again. With the likely retirement of Chrebet they could use another WR too. Their defense is pretty solid.

Tennessee Titans: WR, QB, CB, OL
Calico is alright but they need another good WR since Mason left. McNair is getting old and with a QB-rich draft it may be time to draft one to mentor under McNair for a year before taking over. They took Pacman last year but still can't defend the pass, so they may look for another CB later in the draft. Their OL is pretty solid but aging, so bringing in a young guy up front and maybe sit for part or all of his first year and learn behind their current guys could be an option too.

TheOgre

All Pro
Napa Auto Parts said:
You forgot to add QB to Houston needs even a blind man can see we are hurting bad with our current field general.
They are going to pay Carr the $8 million bonus to activate the rest of his contract. If they are going to pay him that much money, it doesn't make sense to draft a 1st round QB too.

MorKnolle said:
Cleveland Browns: QB, WR, DL
Cleveland definitely needs a QB and there are several top choices available, although they did get Charlie Frye last year. They drafted Braylon Edwards last year and he should end up being good, but other than him they just have a few fast WR that aren't real good. They also lost their entire DL to Denver last year and lack depth there.

Tennessee Titans: WR, QB, CB
Calico is alright but they need another good WR since Mason left. McNair is getting old and with a QB-rich draft it may be time to draft one to mentor under McNair for a year before taking over. They took Pacman last year but still can't defend the pass, so they may look for another CB later in the draft.
you need to add OL to both. the titans tackles are both old and could be cap casualities. Name one tackle on the browns? Cleveland has been searching for a franchise LT as long as us.

MorKnolle

All Pro
YoungTexanFan said:
you need to add OL to both. the titans tackles are both old and could be cap casualities. Name one tackle on the browns? Cleveland has been searching for a franchise LT as long as us.
I was thinking about that, but not sure. Cleveland OL for the most part is relatively solid, but as you pointed out they could use a tackle or two. I'll go change that on there.

Blake

MMQB
gtexan02 said:

Cleveland Browns: They just took Frye with #2. Give him some Oline help, and more help on defense. He has the TE, #1 WR, and maybe a 4th round RB.

The Saints: LB, QB, OG, S.

San Francisco 49ers: They Need alot of help. Lets start with a new defense.

Arizona Cardinals: TE, S, QB.

Baltimore Ravens: OG, OT.

New York Jets: QB

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
YoungTexanFan said:
Carr's 8 million dollar extension is for only one year...
People are very confused by this. Carr signed a 7 year contract. By meeting certain performance standards, years 5, 6 & 7 were voided. The Texans in effect have two options to reinstate part or all of the contract. They can pay $5.5 mil to reinstate years 5 & 6 or $ 8 mil to reinstate years 5, 6 & 7.

edo--that doesn't mean if they pay him $ 8 mil that is all he earns for the next three years, it just means that he is still under contract--he will receive negotiated salaries in each of those years on top of the $ 8 mil bonus.

MorKnolle

All Pro
infantrycak said:
People are very confused by this. Carr signed a 7 year contract. By meeting certain performance standards, years 5, 6 & 7 were voided. The Texans in effect have two options to reinstate part or all of the contract. They can pay $5.5 mil to reinstate years 5 & 6 or $ 8 mil to reinstate years 5, 6 & 7.

edo--that doesn't mean if they pay him $ 8 mil that is all he earns for the next three years, it just means that he is still under contract--he will receive negotiated salaries in each of those years on top of the $ 8 mil bonus.
Thanks for clearing that up for everyone. I wasn't exactly sure on how that was supposed to work.

texasguy346

Mod Squad
MorKnolle said:
New Orleans Saints: LB, DB, QB?, DT
Another team in need of defensive help. May also be looking for a QB to replace Aaron Brooks since he is yet to lead the team to a decent record and is turnover-prone. Their DEs have put up decent numbers but their DTs seem to be lacking.

New York Jets: QB, WR
Testaverde and Bollinger can't carry the team and Pennington may not be able to play a full season again. With the likely retirement of Chrebet they could use another WR too. Their defense is pretty solid.

Pretty fair for the most part. I think the Saints are a talented team, and I think a new coaching staff could do wonders for them. The defense has been lacking, but not for lack of talent. With their offense they should be able to put up a defense that is capable of slowing the opposition down. As for their QB situation I believe Adrian McPherson will get a shot if they decide to sit Brooks. He's a talented young player, but he'd take time to get acclimated to the NFL.

As for the Jets I believe they will be looking for some help on the defensive side of the ball. Namely a replacement for Abraham. It's likely that he'll be with another team next season, and they'll need to find a young player similar to him in the draft. I still think that QB is their most pressing need though.

College Texan

Waterboy
Texans--OL--S--TE--LB--WR
We should have a good draft to fill most these needs

Browns--DL--DB--OL--QB
Their offense will be scary once they get a QB, their D will take a
long time to regroup

Titans--RB--DB--OL--QB
Volek will be good for next year, I think they will pick up Bush, and
have a good draft, they can bounce back in a year or two

Ravens--QB--OL--WR--DL
I don't see them risking their first on a QB unless its Leinart or
Young and they get a second round O-lineman and get Kiwi with
thier first

Packers--OL--DL--DB--RB
If they land Bush before the Titans, he will be their pick to begin to
rebuild the Favre packs. hey have a lot of needs and if the rest of
their draft goes well, they could bounce back in 3-4 years.

Saints--LB--DL--QB
Their offence can be really good with the right coaching, but the D
will keep holding them back, they bounce back in a 5 year plan,
because as soon as thier draft begins to focus on the D, thier O will
be aged by the time the D gets good.

Jets--QB--RB--DB
With our first overall I think they will want top trade us so they can get Leinart. This team is good if they had a QB, they also ned to replace Martin, but that will have to wait a year. The D has not many needs except for a D-Lineman and some secondary help.

S

SESupergenius

I think it puts the Texans in the drivers seat regarding Carr. Ok so we pay him the 8 million for 3 years. So that's $2.67 m to start with. We can negotiate a decent salary for the remaining years.

I see our needs in this order as:

1. Oline
2. Safety
3. Tight End
3. Linebackers
4. Cornerback

R

real

our needs:

O-Line
Tight- end
Linebackers
Free Safety
Quaterback
Cornerback
Running Back

Texas_Thrill

Veteran
The browns primary certainly isn't QB. They took charlie frye last year with good reason. To let him sit for at least a season or two before giving him the reigns. I dont see romeo wasting a 1st round pick on a qb with the way that defense looks as well.

tulexan

Hall of Fame
Do the Titans really need Reggie Bush? I mean I know he played under Norm Chow, but Chris Brown is a pretty good running back and they just traded for Travis Henry.

edo783

Hall of Fame
tulexan said:
Do the Titans really need Reggie Bush? I mean I know he played under Norm Chow, but Chris Brown is a pretty good running back and they just traded for Travis Henry.
They probably only take him if Chow really pushes for it and he might. Should know him better than anyone.

tulexan

Hall of Fame
Doesn't that seem like a Lions move? They have so many needs, is running back really their most pressing need?

tulexan said:
Doesn't that seem like a Lions move? They have so many needs, is running back really their most pressing need?
its going to become a texan move. lions stockpile at WR, we do it at RB according to some morons, and look how both teams have fared the past 4 years!!!Bust...i mean Bush is not the answer to any of our problems

xtruroyaltyx said:
our needs:

O-Line
Tight- end
Linebackers
Free Safety
Quaterback
Cornerback
Running Back
Agree with most of those, other than Running Back, we are overusing DD right now, leading to him breaking down. We have good depth there with Wells and Morency. I dont think we should draft a QB, rather, bring in an experianced QB to push Carr and hopefully tutor him, like Glenn did with D-rob his rookie year, hopefully, this will lead to him picking up his game, such as his reads. I think that the system we run really kills our corners, doubt we will draft anyone for corner, hopefully we can find a new free saftey, unless Coleman picks up considerably.

Right now, I really wish we would have picked DJ last year...:goodnight

TheOgre said:
They are going to pay Carr the $8 million bonus to activate the rest of his contract. If they are going to pay him that much money, it doesn't make sense to draft a 1st round QB too.
We dont need a QB yet.
What we need is a rb, RBush is our only pick. OUR current O-Linemen will be much better the more time they spend togeather and in 1 spot. You can't shufffle linemen around and expect them to play like pro-bowlers. People are reading too much into all this O-line problems and think 1 man up there is gonna come in and take us to the super bowl. Total BS.....

We need someone who can take us to the big dance and that is Bush. A future hall of Running Back and yall want to pass on him. Remember what Smith did for Dallas, we can follow that trend.

Davis37

Rookie
HomeBred_Texan said:
We dont need a QB yet.
What we need is a rb, RBush is our only pick. OUR current O-Linemen will be much better the more time they spend togeather and in 1 spot. You can't shufffle linemen around and expect them to play like pro-bowlers. People are reading too much into all this O-line problems and think 1 man up there is gonna come in and take us to the super bowl. Total BS.....

We need someone who can take us to the big dance and that is Bush. A future hall of Running Back and yall want to pass on him. Remember what Smith did for Dallas, we can follow that trend.
Thats what was being said all offseason, and look how well they gelled. They are only on pace to BREAK the sack record... We need OL and we need it now. Also, you cant say the Bush is going to be a HOF RB cause nobody even knows if the guy can run between the tackles. Sure, he can line up in the slot and act as a WR, but how is he ever going to get the ball if our OL cant hold up. He would just be like another AJ and DC... More wasted talent.

MorKnolle

All Pro
run-david-run said:
Right now, I really wish we would have picked DJ last year...:goodnight
I totally agree with you here. He could have been the LB to build the defense of this franchise around for years to come. Building a defense around him and D-Rob would be nice.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
YoungTexanFan said:
I agree with YoungTexanFan once again. all the worst teams need offensive line help, which increases the risk of trading down too far as both Ferguson and Winston could be gone. Green Bay as well needs offensive line help but are more apt to pick one 2nd or 3rd rd.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
MorKnolle said:
I totally agree with you here. He could have been the LB to build the defense of this franchise around for years to come. Building a defense around him and D-Rob would be nice.
Ahmad Brooks is the man you want to build the defense around a tough physical ILB in a 34 or MLB in a 43, but I'm unwilling to give up addressing the offensive line for now & since DJ is gone he would be our best option at this point if you chose that route.