Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 11-10-2005   #1
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Exclamation NFL reaches agreement with L.A. Coliseum

Quote:
NFL reaches agreement with L.A. Coliseum
NFL.com wire reports

LOS ANGELES (Nov. 10, 2005) -- The NFL and city officials have reached a preliminary agreement on terms to bring a team back to the Los Angeles Coliseum...

...Tentative plans call for the NFL to finance construction of a $500 million stadium inside the Coliseum, home to the Rams from 1946-79 and the Raiders from 1982-94.

City Councilman Bernard Parks said after listening to Tagliabue that he believes the Coliseum will eventually get an existing team rather than an expansion team. "The NFL is going to have a say on who's going to come here. The Coliseum has no role in selecting a team," Parks said.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9035783

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #2
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

I wonder if its going to be the Jags or the Saints?
Old 11-10-2005   #3
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow, while I realize there are practical concerns about TV revenue, etc. I would think a lot of cities could be po'd about paying for stadiums to get or keep teams and then having the NFL pay for LA to take someone else's team. Like $500 mil wouldn't make the Saints happy in NO. People can talk down on Benson wanting to move after Katrina, but he said it before--this should be a bigger slap in the face to them.
Old 11-10-2005   #4
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I don't think the NFL should be financing a stadium. If Los Angeles wants a team, they can upgrade the stadium themselves. Last time I checked Los Angeles is not a poor city.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005   #5
Don'tHate
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Don'tHate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevil63
I wonder if its going to be the Jags or the Saints?

It won't be the Jags....the ship has come and gone...get over it
Old 11-11-2005   #6
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 61397 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Yeah, I think Jax got their issue figured out. Saints or Vikes maybe? Maybe I'm off, but wasn't there also a mention back when Houston got theirs from Tags that he noted that there may be one more expansion but it was to be much later?

I think Cards, Colts got their new stadium. Jets didn't... wait, I think they and the Giants are getting a new one to share.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005   #7
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4toZ
Yeah, I think Jax got their issue figured out. Saints or Vikes maybe? Maybe I'm off, but wasn't there also a mention back when Houston got theirs from Tags that he noted that there may be one more expansion but it was to be much later?

I think Cards, Colts got their new stadium. Jets didn't... wait, I think they and the Giants are getting a new one to share.
No possible way its Minnesota.
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-11-2005   #8
Bullpen Drew
All Pro

The Los Angeles Saints!

BTW, Try the Bullpen Drew BBQ joint! Our motto...

"Nobody beats my meat!"
Bullpen Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005   #9
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

what about the chargers?
Old 11-11-2005   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398704 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Man, I hope it's not the Saints. I understand from a purely business perspective, but that just sucks to lose a team due to a natural disaster.

Why not the Vikings? Did they get a stadium deal, yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
I don't think the NFL should be financing a stadium. If Los Angeles wants a team, they can upgrade the stadium themselves. Last time I checked Los Angeles is not a poor city.
I agree 100%. I hate all the fawning that LA gets by the NFL. The city seems to care less, but the movement persists regardless.

I'm sure my dislike is leftover residue from the games the NFL played before Houston was awarded a team, but still, LA DOES NOT CARE!!!...

ps. PLEASE - NO MORE EXPANSION TEAMS!!! 32 IS PERFECT!!!
Old 11-11-2005   #11
HardCoreTxn
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to HardCoreTxn Send a message via MSN to HardCoreTxn Send a message via Yahoo to HardCoreTxn

1st the Lakers now the Vikings, Ive believed this for a couple of years. I think the Saints will relocate (hopefully to San Antonio) and New Orleans will get one of the expansion teams in a few years once it rebuilds.
Old 11-11-2005   #12
tulexan
Hall of Fame

San Antonio is not getting a team. Paul Tagliabue has repeatedly said that they do not want to add another small market team.
Old 11-11-2005   #13
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it probably will be the Saints but I wouldn't say that it sucks to lose a team to a natural disaster. Katrina just accelerated what was already in progress. A few years ago after Houston got the Texans and the NFL started talking about moving a team to L.A. we all began hearing about the likely franchises to move. The Jags were mentioned and the Colts were talked about. The Vikings got some attention and the Saints did too. I'm probably leaving somebody out (didn't they talk about the Chargers moving up there at one time when they wanted improvements to their house?) but basically there were a bunch of teams that "could" move to L.A.

One by one they all got their deals done in their home towns. The Saints didn't get a deal done with New Orleans. It was just a matter of time after those other teams came off the table.

Katrina won't be what cost New Orleans the Saints. If anything it makes it tougher to move them out of New Orleans but the NFL was probably going to do it anyway and, after a suitable amount of time talking about how bad a situation this is they'll probably still do it. In the end the Saints fans will get the same treatment that Baltimore, Oakland, Cleveland, Saint Louis, L.A., and Houston fans got before them. Katrina won't take their team, the owners will.
Old 04-22-2006   #14
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 61397 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
what about the chargers?
tulexan may be have a new job in predicting the future

Quote:
Do or open for Chargers Cash-strapped San Diego doesn't have the money to help the Chargers build a new stadium, mayor Jerry Sanders said, opening the door for Southern California's only NFL team to leave the city it has called home for 45 years.
If the team fails to find a new home in the county before Jan. 1, the Chargers would be free to negotiate a deal anywhere in the country.
Not saying a definite... but I think someone may be moving to a new frontrunner.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006   #15
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i believe san diego will be the team moved to L.A. because we all know that l.a. is a city that will not support a losing team...the chargers are a competitive team and will be better once they get a big-time reciever there...which will happen probably in next years draft...moving the saints would make sense money-wise but it would only be a matter of time before new orleans is demanding another team called the saints...i personally do not believe you can move the saints from new orleans...they're the only town that the saints make sense...the team fits that city's personality
Old 04-22-2006   #16
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
i believe san diego will be the team moved to L.A. because we all know that l.a. is a city that will not support a losing team...the chargers are a competitive team and will be better once they get a big-time reciever there...which will happen probably in next years draft...moving the saints would make sense money-wise but it would only be a matter of time before new orleans is demanding another team called the saints...i personally do not believe you can move the saints from new orleans...they're the only town that the saints make sense...the team fits that city's personality
Moving the Chargers to L.A. would also keep teams in the right divisions geographically, whereas moving the Saints would change that a bit. The Saints could end up moving to San Antonio if the league decides that San Antonio is worthy of a team, and I think the league will end up moving the Saints as New Orleans realistically cannot support a team now and probably not in the near future either, just the timing of moving a team away from them this year would not be right.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006   #17
DRIFTAWAY
All Pro

sounds like the NFL wants to put a team in L.A. more then L.A. wants a team put in L.A.
Most Improved- Juwan Howard
DRIFTAWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006   #18
Tha rizzock
Rookie

bills and chargers
Tha rizzock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006   #19
LikeABoss
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 LikeABoss seems to be losing the respect of his peers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIFTAWAY
sounds like the NFL wants to put a team in L.A. more then L.A. wants a team put in L.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha rizzock
bills and chargers

You speak the truth...
Old 04-22-2006   #20
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

The Bills are an outside possibility too.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read