Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-10-2005   #1
CowboysJJ21
Rookie

Exclamation 2006 Nfl Draft

Lets face it guys, the Texans arent looking too hot this year and will likely have a top 4 pick in the draft. My projected 3 worst teams this year are teh Texans, 49ers, and Packers. If i had to guess, i would say they will end up with the #1 pick. So heres the question... who do you draft?

If i was GM, although Matt Leinart seems like the obvious choice here, i take Reggie Bush with this pick, and heres why...

Although David Carr seems to be a letdown, he is the alltime leader in sacks per dropback... now i can see this primarly being blamed on someone who is completely immoble in the pocket (i.e. Drew Bledsoe) but this guy is very capable of moving around. Before we can castoff David, at least get some worthy meat for the man to stand behind that wont kill him! Seriously, every Texan fan should be grateful that David has been this resiliant to injury so far! David Carr can and should be the Houston Texans starting qb next year. There is a big difference between him and Joey Harrington... Joey has a team to help make plays! You cant count off David until he has a team and a coach that can compete with the rest of the league.

So with that said you need to draft Bush. With a draft pick this high, the texans must draft a playmaker. I know you guys love Double D, but he can still fit in the system with some playing time with Reggie in the lineup. And if he doesnt like it, hes one of the only players on the team with any trade value. This boy Reggie Bush can do it all folks.... a guaranteed playmaker that you cannot pass up on. He can play in the backfield, slot, punt return... anywhere! He is hell on wheels for opposing defenses.

Even if he wins the heisman... and we all know that award should go to VINCE YOUNG... there is a very high value for quartebacks in the draft market that Leinart will likely be the most sought after player in the draft. This gives the texans a little play to move around with their pick to pickup more players/draftpicks.

LETS HEAR SOME IDEAS, where in the draft will the Texans land, and who should we take? What should the Texans draft after their first pick? lineman? linebackers?

Last edited by CowboysJJ21; 11-10-2005 at 10:13 AM.
CowboysJJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #2
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysJJ21
LETS HEAR SOME IDEAS, where in the draft will the Texans land, and who should we take? What should the Texans draft after their first pick? lineman? linebackers?
We pick Reggie Bush if GB doesn't get him first. Then we trade our top 2 picks in the 2nd round and move up in the first and snatch a LT. Allot of teams would want our 2 2nd round picks because they are high and save allot of money in signings...
Old 11-10-2005   #3
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

The problem is that I could see Green Bay or San Fran getting the number one pick. I don't think it will be the Texans. I see them going 2 or 3, which put them out of any Leinhart/Bush take. I think San Fran will draft Bush because they already have a QB, and Green Bay is looking for a QB of the future. But for kicks, let's say the Texans take Bush. The reason would be for trade value on draft day. We have lost a lot of trade picks on some underperforming Texans (Babin, Buchanon), and we could use the kind of trade that would give us a few more picks for the new coaching system. However, DD is a good RB and could be traded, but I just don't see the Texans getting rid of a proven running back (especially one who runs well against Indy) for an unproven runner. I have always thought DD is a great running back but not the "standout" RB that a playoff contention team needs, but I don't see the team sending away the one big offensive weapon they have this year.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #4
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBred_Texan
We pick Reggie Bush if GB doesn't get him first. Then we trade our top 2 picks in the 2nd round and move up in the first and snatch a LT. Allot of teams would want our 2 2nd round picks because they are high and save allot of money in signings...
As long as we get that LT - Winton (sp?) from Miami or Ferguson from Virginia or whoever. That is the loadstone player missing from this offense.
Old 11-10-2005   #5
CowboysJJ21
Rookie

i dont even think you need to draft up to the 1st round for linemen. Very good, servicable linemen/linebackers can be found in the 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th rounds of the draft. However getting a GM to find these guys is the difficult part!
Old 11-10-2005   #6
CowboysJJ21
Rookie

Reggie Bush and Double D can play on the same field guys. Reggie is a tremendous athlete. He can play anywhere (WR, RB, SLOT) and make a difference. You dont need to trade DD to pickup reggie!
Old 11-10-2005   #7
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso
The problem is that I could see Green Bay or San Fran getting the number one pick. I don't think it will be the Texans. I see them going 2 or 3, which put them out of any Leinhart/Bush take. I think San Fran will draft Bush because they already have a QB, and Green Bay is looking for a QB of the future.
Not GB, they want Reggie also. They drafted a QB in the first round last year, so both SF and GB will want Reggie as bad as we do. Both teams picked up the top 2 QB's in the draft last year.

Someone is correcting me on our 2nd round picks saying it's not 2 high picks until the 3rd. Am I wrong? I thought we got New Orlean's 2nd round for trading positions in the draft so they could get the top OL and we got T Johnson....
Old 11-10-2005   #8
texan0305
Veteran

Rep Power: 24 texan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famer
Default yup...

in that guys original post he says the heisman should go to vince young and that it's obvious, i just want to know why is it obvious that vince should be the heisman....anyways this is a texans forum so i'll go back to talkin about the texans, id like to keep carr, and i'd like to pick Reggie Bush and this is why....hes a playmaker..... thats it, thats all that the new gm should take into account he might be injury prone or he might need to add some weight but the kid is "electric" the kid has a chance to score evertime he touches the ball in college, if he can come into the nfl and bulk up a little bit while keeping his speed the guy is compared to as a "barry sanders" or a "marshal faulk" type running back, i'm all for that! I dont know i want to upgrade the o-line but you can easily do that in the 2nd 3rd and 4rth round i know we guaranteed alot of money to DD but i think you can't pass on a guy thats this good and is relatively young!
texan0305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #9
texan0305
Veteran

Rep Power: 24 texan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famer
Default yo

we got a 3rd round pick from new orleans.....
Old 11-10-2005   #10
texan0305
Veteran

Default oh by the way.....

Hey just to let you guys in on some talk... a week ago i was surfing the net and i found a couple of articles that hinted that Mike Martz might be a candidate, only problem is that ailing heart condition he has, take it for what it's worth Terry Bradshaw was quoted as saying "martz would be a great fit in houston, where they have a young team with the right parts on the offensive side of the ball..." Also a miami based newspaper was hinting that same notion as well, what do you guys think? Its probably not going to happen with Martz heart condition, but even if he was healthy i dont know if i'd take a risk on that guy.
Old 11-10-2005   #11
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysJJ21
Lets face it guys, the Texans arent looking too hot this year and will likely have a top 4 pick in the draft. My projected 3 worst teams this year are teh Texans, 49ers, and Packers. If i had to guess, i would say they will end up with the #1 pick. So heres the question... who do you draft?

If i was GM, although Matt Leinart seems like the obvious choice here, i take Reggie Bush with this pick, and heres why...

Although David Carr seems to be a letdown, he is the alltime leader in sacks per dropback... now i can see this primarly being blamed on someone who is completely immoble in the pocket (i.e. Drew Bledsoe) but this guy is very capable of moving around. Before we can castoff David, at least get some worthy meat for the man to stand behind that wont kill him! Seriously, every Texan fan should be grateful that David has been this resiliant to injury so far! David Carr can and should be the Houston Texans starting qb next year. There is a big difference between him and Joey Harrington... Joey has a team to help make plays! You cant count off David until he has a team and a coach that can compete with the rest of the league.

So with that said you need to draft Bush. With a draft pick this high, the texans must draft a playmaker. I know you guys love Double D, but he can still fit in the system with some playing time with Reggie in the lineup. And if he doesnt like it, hes one of the only players on the team with any trade value. This boy Reggie Bush can do it all folks.... a guaranteed playmaker that you cannot pass up on. He can play in the backfield, slot, punt return... anywhere! He is hell on wheels for opposing defenses.

Even if he wins the heisman... and we all know that award should go to VINCE YOUNG... there is a very high value for quartebacks in the draft market that Leinart will likely be the most sought after player in the draft. This gives the texans a little play to move around with their pick to pickup more players/draftpicks.

So in the points that YOU make in your post, we should pick bush because he will give Carr more time to prove himself? Are you suggesting we put bush on the line? There are servicable linemen in later rounds you will say. You are right, but we do not need or want servicable linemen. Wand was a 3rd round pick, falling into your mold of a servicable linemen.

Are you satisfied with these players?

We need elite linemen, who happen to be taken VERY early.

DD may not have a very long career in the NFL, but right now he is more than servicable. He is very good behind the worst line in the league. When was the last time you saw bush run inside the tackles? When was the last time you saw any Texan RB get outside the tackles?

The most sensible pick even based upon what you are saying is an O linemen. How will another RB help prove DC is a viable option for our future?
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #12
College Texan
Veteran

I say we take bush and we have a 2nd and 3rd to take two good lineman, one who probalby falls in the second

we take
1. Bush
2. LSU guy, W. Justice, Trueblood, Blalock they will probly play RT for a year
3. Max Gilles, Florida center, any other lineman from above
3. Threat
4. Slay
College Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #13
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

trade down to get Abdul Hodge and Eric Winston
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #14
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigTEXan8
I'm all for drafting an o-lineman, but how can we look someone like Bush, see what he has done, and not draft him. I don't know if this is true, but I think someone said we have two 2nd round draft picks, and you got to believe some middle of the 1st round draft pick has to be willing to trade their pick for 2 2nd round picks. If that is true and possible, then I say draft Bush with our pick, then get a o-lineman later on.
We have an extra 3rd from the San Antonio Saints and I agree about the O-linemen, the only need being LT, if hogdon is healthy. I say Bush, a MLB, then a LT and if reggie mcneal or dj shockley fall, take one and if not, brad smith should be a 3rd or 4th
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #15
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

I say we make an all U. of Miami draft. Their players are always very talented, plus they have good people coming out at about every position we need. Spend our 1st round pick on OT Eric Winston. If I'm not mistaken, Miami also has a good safety, one or two good CBs, a good TE (if he comes out), and I'm sure they have good and athletic DL/LB for pass rushing. I don't have many specific names and not sure how far many of these guys would fall in the draft, but it's an idea and one that I think would help us.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #16
royce1054
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to royce1054 Send a message via Yahoo to royce1054

i think we go O-line no questions asked. DD just got a long term deal i dont see us drafting a RB early in the draft. Maybe a day 2 pick
royce1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005   #17
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

The Texans have drafted linemen in the 2nd and 3rd round, and we're still wallowing in offensive line hell. That's the reason I see for going for the LT, no matter what. I am all for Eric Winston. He used to play TE, which I like. The speed would help him in going up against those awesome Indy and Jacksonville defenses.

Also, I have said it before - I think what the Texans really need is a good Center and RT. I go with Ferguson or Winston because I think everybody wants to knock down that LT position, but I think we are answering a fashionable question and not plugging the biggest holes.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read