Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-10-2005   #21
tex
Veteran

I'm sure one fan boycotting is going to get a lot of changes made.Oh well it's worth a try.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #22
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Boycott, schmoycott. Its a free country. After reading this thread all I could envision was McNair and Cass doing a Karaoke duet to Safety Dance:

Say, we can dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind
'Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
well they're no friend of mine.

Many have said it here, but the good times will be special after this lull in our history. Every team has one, buck up little trooper!
Old 11-10-2005   #23
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 91895 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I'm as disappointed as anyone but heck; the Chargers fell from 8-8 to 4-12 then back to 12-4. It's not about "deserving better". This is one tough league and sometimes things just don't come together like you plan. You guys can boycott the team or whatever...I'll enjoy some real NFL football here in Houston although I'm all crapped out on winning anything this year. It's a bummer but I'll get over it. I'm sure they hate losing as much as I do. I don't "deserve" anything else but a team that can spot a problem and work on fixing it...and I think they will do it.
Hey I actualy agree with you. We must not be talking about Carr.

However, the Chargers might have went from 8-8 to 4-12 to 12-4, we went from 4-12 to 5-11 to 7-9 to, as of right now, 1-7. Dont get me wrong, I am not agreeing with the extreemist's, I just see their point.

But it is..., well I am not going to call anyone ignorant, thats just rude, silly is the word I am looking for, anyone to not go to games, boo the home team, throw things at Carrs family, and not show Texan pride by not buying things. But that is just my opinion.
TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #24
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisher
Count me as one who in a weird perverse way is actually enjoying this season. You can't enjoy the good times without going through the bad times first.

Our day is coming. I plan on bieng here when it happens. And I plan on bieng here until it happens.
Finally a sensible fan speaks up.

Quote:
I'll never understand fans that can't be tolerant of a dissapointing year. Every team has them. Why should we be an exception?
Apparently people think that in our fourth year after building a team from scratch that we should be better than all these teams that have been building up for decades.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #25
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojthecat
I have had enough. Until we have a new coach I will not spend one more dime on Texans memoriblia and I will not buy any thing else at the stadium. I have had it. We have wasted 3 1/2 years and are going nowhere. I dont care if we give 110% the rest of the season and if we win the turnover battle and if our guys don't quit.

Mr. McNair you need to open up your wallet and do whatever it takes to get Jimmy to come out of retirement.

We shouldn't have through another 5 year plan and Mr. McNair needs to make a statement. Fire Capers now and put Pendry in as interm coach. Start shopping now for a new HC.

Why should we wait until the end of the year to fire Capers.
We have waited long enough.
So let me get this straight. Your plan is to boycott the purchase of merchandise and encourage others to do the same to encourage McNair to spend MORE money on his personnel? McNair has one of the deepest and most expensive front offices in the league. He is more of a victim of a non-productive GM and coach than us. So you want to punish this guy?

Bob McNair is the one person I believe in throughout the organization. He has marketed this team extremely well and seems to have a link to the pulse of his fans. The more I think about it, the more I believe that he will completely clean house. He knows his fans will not be around if this staff stays for another season. He wants to win as much, if not moreso, than us. Speculation on 610 am was McNair was a key reason they made the OC change during the bye week.

This was his first go-round with hiring a GM and coach. Hopefully he is able to make the proper adjustments and bring in the right guys.

I do not question his desire. He showed me what he is made of when he stole the expansion slot from LA. He will not sit idly by. He wants to win NOW too.
Old 11-10-2005   #26
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13222 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
He knows his fans will not be around if this staff stays for another season. He wants to win as much, if not moreso, than us.
He could always move the team somewhere else, although the name WOULD be a problem. L.A. Texans... uhm...
Malloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #27
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy
He could always move the team somewhere else, although the name WOULD be a problem. L.A. Texans... uhm...
did not stop them from changing names of the California Angels to the Anaheim Angels to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-10-2005   #28
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
I know one thing. You people that are freaking out over this losing season are NFL virgins, and never followed an NFL team before.

If you were around when the Oilers were here, or were a fan of them at one time, you'd take this season with a grain of salt.

AIN'T that the truth!! Most of these NFL "virgins" will be back in a few years, when we have a winning season, SWEARING they have always stood by their TEXANS, even during the tough times! HAHA! I'm keeping track of names!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #29
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I have gone to all the home games and I don't buy concessions or merchandise anymore. Call it poor fandom or whatever you want - I call it being fiscally responsible with my money. I'm not going to go plop down a big chunk of money on a vehicle that doesn't run and I'm not going to go plop down a huge chunk of money on a team that doesn't play NFL-caliber football. I told my wife if they played eight consecutive quarters of solid football, I'd go back to buying overpriced food at the stadium. They've done that. The last couple weeks, they've come back to playing NFL-caliber football, so I feel I am getting my money's worth now, even if we do lose. IMO, buying PSLs and season tickets entitles you to watch NFL football. Otherwise, you can go watch Rice. The Texans games resembled Rice games for the first few weeks. Now they are back to presenting a decent product.

As others have said on this thread, the NFL is tough and wins are far from guaranteed. As long as the team is playing hard and showing signs of life, I'll keep spending.
eriadoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #30
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisher
Count me as one who in a weird perverse way is actually enjoying this season. You can't enjoy the good times without going through the bad times first.

Our day is coming. I plan on bieng here when it happens. And I plan on bieng here until it happens.
When I lived in San Antonio I had Spurs season tickets (two years pre-David Robinson) and kept them as they built and rebuilt. I was there from very poor through some pretty successful seasons, but moved here before they started winning championships. During those early 20 win seasons I enjoyed the team and watching the other NBA teams that came to town. That whole experience has made the 3 Championships - and counting - sweet indeed.

"Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it." - Greg Anderson

Although I'll admit there would be joy to winning the Super Bowl.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #31
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Well I hope the fair weathered fans don't block my path to the stadium..

I will be with the Texans thick and thin. I have 2 season tickets and a parking pass. Rain or shine, I will always be in my seat. I look VERY forward to watching Mr. Reggie Bush running the ball with DD next year. And I wont even miss DD is he is cut or traded. If we do not draft the top RB or QB in the draft, I will then be displeased, but will continue to support. I do not like Capers and his crew, but will still be there even if he is coach again next year. I love football and was miserable when the Oilers moved out. I never had season tickets to them, but have items of interest.

So all I can say, is instead of spouting off in the forum that you are gonna do this and that, think about this...

Bad football or NO football?????????

I choose bad football....
Old 11-10-2005   #32
ATX_Texan
Veteran

Default Change is good

I am tired about this whole ďletís just be happy to have NFL footballĒ attitude some people promote. I feel that most fans have been very patient with the development of the Texans.

Most of us believed that this team was headed in the right direction until the end of last season. We did accept the struggles of an expansion team through the first seasons. However, the management of the team (owner, GM, coaches) all sold the fans on a five year plan of building a play off (not Super Bowl) contending team. The disappointment that people are feeling is because of the realization that we still look like an expansion team. On top of that, it appears that this team does not show any of the competitiveness that we fans had come to expect during the previous seasons.

There are many teams in the NFL that donít care about really competing in the top tier. Most of these teams like the Cardinals, Saints, and Titans have old school owners who got into the NFL in the beginning and are now just content to live off the revenues generated by the entire league. For these fans, they just have to accept the joy of having NFL football every week. These owners just put a team on the field and demand the fans accept it through blind loyalty.

Some fans are not willing to accept just any product shoved out on the field. We see that what happens when the fans in Cincinnati force the ownership to at least try and put out a competitive team. We see a perennial bottom dweller like the Falcons rise up with new ownership and management to be one of the better franchises. We see teams like the Cowboys and Chargers who were in just as bad a shape as the expansion Texans five years ago build themselves up while Casserly and company turn the Texans into a bad joke.

I lived through the Oilers years and it shows what happens when an owner is happy just to collect money from the NFL and the people of a city. I want to make sure that does not happen again with the Texans. The fans have a responsibility to point out the mistakes this franchise has made and to request that changes be made to correct them. I donít think anyone should be all that worried about the Texans leaving anytime soon. The main reason the Oilers left was because of the lack of other revenue streams available to the team, due to the facilities they had. On the other hand, the Texans are one of the top revenue generating teams in the league. The only place McNair could get that kind of money is in Los Angeles and I see many other teams moving there before the Texans.

The bottom line is that the Texans exist because we the fans care enough to devote our time and money to them. For the most part, we just expect the team to devote their time and money into producing a competitive team in a realistic time frame. At this point, I donít know how anyone can say that the Texans are competitive now and will be anytime soon. If firing Capers is the first step in getting this process started, then letís do it now rather than later.
ATX_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #33
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc
I have gone to all the home games and I don't buy concessions or merchandise anymore. Call it poor fandom or whatever you want - I call it being fiscally responsible with my money. I'm not going to go plop down a big chunk of money on a vehicle that doesn't run and I'm not going to go plop down a huge chunk of money on a team that doesn't play NFL-caliber football. I told my wife if they played eight consecutive quarters of solid football, I'd go back to buying overpriced food at the stadium.
I just use my old tried and true system myself. If I'm hungry I eat, and if I want to buy something 'NFL' I'll buy my home team's stuff. If they are winning the Super Bowl or rebuilding after a disappointing run I'll still follow these time tested decision making methods.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #34
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I just use my old tried and true system myself. If I'm hungry I eat, and if I want to buy something 'NFL' I'll buy my home team's stuff. If they are winning the Super Bowl or rebuilding after a disappointing run I'll still follow these time tested decision making methods.
add my if I'm thirsty I still buy a drink even if its inflated or overpriced, I would prefeer if it was to enhance the great performances but it also can kill the pain if needed
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #35
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And that, of course, is your prerogative. It's as good a decision-making process as any other on here, to be sure . It just gets old with the people on here passing judgment that they are somehow superior fans for one reason or another.
Old 11-10-2005   #36
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not passing judgment. I'm typing a funny.

Old 11-10-2005   #37
eriadoc
Texan-American

Oh, I know. I wasn't intending to suggest you were personally doing that. It happens here a bit is all I was pointing out. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
Old 11-10-2005   #38
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
I know one thing. You people that are freaking out over this losing season are NFL virgins, and never followed an NFL team before.

If you were around when the Oilers were here, or were a fan of them at one time, you'd take this season with a grain of salt.

Marcus, my friend, you and I have had differences of opinion on a variety of subjects (all respectful, of course).

But we agree on some basic principles, and your statement is clearly one of those times. I agree with you 100%.

I rooted for the Oilers through thick and thin, often being ridiculed by bandwagon Cowboy fans or whoever. But they were my team, born into Oilerland, and stuck with them until they had a Tennessee address (even went to a couple of games during the lame-duck season).

As football fans, we have to understand that NO team will avoid losing seasons. It's just part of the cycle of sports. The Texans, OUR TEAM, had to start off from nothing and get up and running in one of the most competitive leagues on Earth.

So we get our worst season out of the way in year 4. It's eventually going to happen, like the flu, you can't avoid it over the long haul.

Through thick and thin, till death (or team moving) do us part, in good times and bad, this team is OUR team, and WE are it's fans.

Old 11-10-2005   #39
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc
Oh, I know. I wasn't intending to suggest you were personally doing that. It happens here a bit is all I was pointing out. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
NP,

I really don't buy much gear nor do I eat or drink much at games anyway. I'm just like that though...from little league, to the movie theatre to Pro sporting events. Captive audiences pay captive prices. I've never seen someone in a crowd yell...."Someone get this man a cheesburger! I'm not sure he is going to make it".

getting weak....must purchase...a dome dog.....aaaarrrggghhhh

Old 11-10-2005   #40
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13222 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

getting weak....must purchase...a dome dog.....aaaarrrggghhhh
heeh, you would be happy to know that in my recently purchased Madden06, I started a Houston francise and my first action was to lower beer prices in the stadium to 1$. Man that brought a crowd
Malloy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read