Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-09-2005   #21
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah
Marc Vandermeer on 610am just said that Jerry Deloach is getting some reps at the O-line position.
I think I'm going to be sick
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #22
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
I think I'm going to be sick
I won't tell you that Hodgdon is likely lost for the year then.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #23
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I won't tell you that Hodgdon is likely lost for the year then.
April Fools..?

Is it a tear?
ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #24
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I wish it was April Led. Dom said that he is out getting a second opinion and he may be lost for the year.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #25
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I wish it was April Led. Dom said that he is out getting a second opinion and he may be lost for the year.
Man, things definitely aren't going Houston's way when it comes to injuries this season. I think a lot of people have overlooked it since they've been so bad since the beginning, but having Babin, Wong, AJ, Wiegert, and now Hodgdon hurt isn't helping any.
ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #26
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by mean mark8
Please just don't play Weary. He is a wide-open faucet through which any defense plunges.
Unfortunatley I'm going to have to agree with you there. I watched Weary during training camp in the one on one drills. He was the lineman that was taken the most, especially by a spin move.

I pray that he's made improvement over the past few months, otherwise things are going to get worse.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #27
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Does anyone feel like Dom Capers is Dr. Frankenstein and Pendry is Igor his assistant? These guys are experimenting weekly. If you have ever made Jello then you that once it starts to set if you stir it it is ruined. Why can't these guys get that?
Old 11-10-2005   #28
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I am happy with them playing mad scientist to find out what works best. I don't think it will make anything worse than it already is, and if they can find a better fit, more power to them. I can play O-line musical chairs all season long.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #29
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rittenhouserobz
Does anyone feel like Dom Capers is Dr. Frankenstein and Pendry is Igor his assistant? These guys are experimenting weekly. If you have ever made Jello then you that once it starts to set if you stir it it is ruined. Why can't these guys get that?
I'd also buy experimenting weakly.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #30
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Let me get something straight here. Maybe I misunderstood what some of you were getting at earlier.

Do I have it correct that some of you are saying that Wand would do a better job against Freeney than Pitts?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #31
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
Let me get something straight here. Maybe I misunderstood what some of you were getting at earlier.

Do I have it correct that some of you are saying that Wand would do a better job against Freeney than Pitts?
Possibly based on a year ago. Wand held is own a year ago against Feeney. The problem is Wand has had his ego trampled on by this coaching staff, most notablily, PENDRY the god father of our bad O-line.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #32
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I would say that because of injuries and since they are going to double team anyway, Wand/Bruener would be similar enough to Pitts/Bruener that it might make more sense to have Pitts shore up the middle instead of playing Weary. The problem is that all 4 of the Colts defensive line are dangerous rushers.

Also remember that last year Wand was assigned to block Freeney one on one. In the first game I think he gave up 0 sacks and in the second game he gave up 3. (That was from memory, I might be wrong). When Pitts was assigned Freeney two weeks ago he got constant help: from McKinney usually, the running back sometimes, and both on occasion. I don't think Pitts can stand up to Freeney one on one any better than Wand did.

Against the Seahawks, Pitts first game at LT this year, he got a lot of help from Breuner, to the point Pitts was PO'd about it because he thought he didn't need the help.

Finally, last year we generally blamed all sacks on the o-line and this year we've learned better (as posters). Evaluating Wand's last year's performance to this year's standards might change some opinions of him. After all, the only change we made to the o-line at the start of the year was to replace Wand, and after 3 games we were on pace to give up 106 sacks. The fact is, the line was better last year.

Edited to add:

Wand was not at his best last week - he hasn't had a practice snap at left tackle with the first team since training camp. Given a game or two to get back in the swing and real practice time, he'd be OK. Last year and last week they ran well behind the combination of Pitts/Wand. Since we're a running team that is pretty important too.

Last edited by Runner; 11-10-2005 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-10-2005   #33
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
I would say that because of injuries and since they are going to double team anyway, Wand/Bruener would be similar enough to Pitts/Bruener that it might make more sense to have Pitts shore up the middle instead of playing Weary. The problem is that all 4 of the Colts defensive line are dangerous rushers.

Also remember that last year Wand was assigned to block Freeney one on one. In the first game I think he gave up 0 sacks and in the second game he gave up 3. (That was from memory, I might be wrong). When Pitts was assigned Freeney two weeks ago he got constant help: from McKinney usually, the running back sometimes, and both on occasion. I don't think Pitts can stand up to Freeney one on one any better than Wand did.

Against the Seahawks, Pitts first game at LT this year, he got a lot of help from Breuner, to the point Pitts was PO'd about it because he thought he didn't need the help.

Finally, last year we generally blamed all sacks on the o-line and this year we've learned better (as posters). Evaluating Wand's last year's performance to this year's standards might change some opinions of him. After all, the only change we made to the o-line at the start of the year was to replace Wand, and after 3 games we were on pace to give up 106 sacks. The fact is, the line was better last year.
Excellent post and its like I point out the change from year 2 to 3 was the Zone blocking scheme and everything fell apart. Who is the originator of all of this - Pendry. Gee, could there be a correlation. I just couldn't help myself, because its just such horrific to have to deal with this kind of incompetence weak after weak and they did promote incompetence in this case..........
Old 11-10-2005   #34
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
Excellent post and its like I point out the change from year 2 to 3 was the Zone blocking scheme and everything fell apart. Who is the originator of all of this - Pendry. Gee, could there be a correlation. I just couldn't help myself, because its just such horrific to have to deal with this kind of incompetence weak after weak and they did promote incompetence in this case..........
In fact I will even go one step further and say may be CAPER's problems all stem from his reliance on PENDRY. Is that possibly the real problem? Has Pendry been the problem all along including getting Palmer Canned when it was Pendry's O-line that was the cause of the problems. Some of the people view Pendry as the great savior, perhaps he's the devil in disguise.......
Old 11-10-2005   #35
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll just say that I remember watching both Colts games last year, and the thing that stood out beyond anything else, was that Freeney's quickness exposed Wand for what he will never be. He is simply to slow to play Left Tackle.

In this weeks game, I don't want to see a double team against Freeney. I want to see what Pitts can do against Freeney one on one.

Pitts stated on the radio last night that he wants to be the Texans long term answer to Left Tackle. Here's your chance, Chester. Prove to me that they don't need D'Brickashaw.

Last edited by Marcus; 11-10-2005 at 02:49 PM.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #36
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
In fact I will even go one step further and say may be CAPER's problems all stem from his reliance on PENDRY. Is that possibly the real problem? Has Pendry been the problem all along including getting Palmer Canned when it was Pendry's O-line that was the cause of the problems. Some of the people view Pendry as the great savior, perhaps he's the devil in disguise.......
I didn't want to get jumped back over the bye week for saying that firing Palmer was wrong, so I kept my mouth shut. Pendry ruined the line, and it's clear he's ruining the offense, too. He's got players shouting at him, and his philosophy is very run, run, sack, punt.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #37
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
In this weeks game, I don't want to see a double team against Freeney. I want to see what Pitts can do against Freeney one on one.
That would be interesting to see; it is an opportunity for Pitts to show what he has against the best. Very few people across the league face Freeney by themselves.

If Pitts is at LT this week as it appears he will be, I don't know what choice the coaches have but to have him go one on one. Wade needs help against Mathis, and I think it'll take all three of our interior lineman to handle the Colts' defensive tackles. I just don't think the coaching staff will do it though.

This is just a bad time for us to have injuries on the line.
Old 11-10-2005   #38
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'll just say that I remember watching both Colts games last year, and the thing that stood out beyond anything else, was that Freeney's quickness exposed Wand for what he will never be. He is simply to slow to play Left Tackle.

Pitts stated on the radio last night that he wants to be the Texans long term answer to Left Tackle. Here's your chance, Chester. Prove to me that they don't need D'Brickashaw.
Marcus I'm not going to disagree with what Pitts stated, because that's been his goal all along and that's why I have said that I wanted him on the right side in the best interest of the team. I'm going to take Mr B's evaluation of what Wand can be over Pitts. I think Pitts is very mistake prone and doesn't fit there as well as at the guard position. I firmly believe he has hampered the development of Wand, but that is my belief and you have yours and that's fair. Opinions make for a board like this one.
Old 11-10-2005   #39
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Possibly based on a year ago. Wand held is own a year ago against Feeney. The problem is Wand has had his ego trampled on by this coaching staff, most notablily, PENDRY the god father of our bad O-line.
IMO the coaches yanked the plug on Wand too quick in favor of Riley, but Wand got lit up like a pinball machine last year by Freeney. He didn't give up any sacks in one of the games, but he was constantly collapsed into the pocket such that Mathis' 3 sacks in that game were largely due to Freeney. In the 2nd game Freeney got 3 sacks. Pitts gave up 1 sack over two games in 2003 to Freeney.

Quote:
I think Pitts is very mistake prone and doesn't fit there as well as at the guard position.
Just curious, is this from actually watching Pitts in the last few games?
Old 11-10-2005   #40
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Freeney's quickness has exposed many of the best LTs in the entire league. The only person I've seen handle him is Pace.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read