Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-09-2005   #1
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 63823 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Weary to Start

The Chronicle reports that Capers said Pitts will stay at LT this week, which thrusts Fred Weary into starting line-up. Weary is the only guy I know who has been deeper in the doghouse than Wand, so that should be interesting. They are evaluating some combination of Wade, Brown, McKinney, Weary, Pitts as being stronger than Wade, Brown, McKinney, Pitts, Wand.

I think the first line-up above will be far less capable at run blocking, and we'll be doing a lot of running Sunday. Pitts may have his hands fulls with Freeney since he probably won't have a guard available to double team on pass blocking, because I think that middle will be overmatched on their own.

This will leave Breuner to double team with Pitts and Wade left alone, or vice versa. If the decision is to use Breuner as a full time blocker (as opposed to blocking and releasing) on many plays then maybe the coaches will go "way out there" and use Wand as tight end on those plays. 6 offensive lineman would give us a chance to contain their rush. It should be pretty awesome in run blocking too.

Last edited by Runner; 11-09-2005 at 07:31 AM.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #2
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Wiegert was upgraded a bit early this week (to questionable) so if he can go, they would probably shift Milford to left guard and put McKinney at C.

If Wiegert can't go, and Hodgdon and Washington are both out, then it seems that the only combination at C and LG is McKinney - Weary or vice versa, but there's also the Wand at guard thing hanging out there... I doubt if he's had reps at G since training camp though.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #3
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 63823 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Wiegert was upgraded a bit early this week (to questionable) so if he can go, they would probably shift Milford to left guard and put McKinney at C.

If Wiegert can't go, and Hodgdon and Washington are both out, then it seems that the only combination at C and LG is McKinney - Weary or vice versa, but there's also the Wand at guard thing hanging out there... I doubt if he's had reps at G since training camp though.
I don't think Wand at guard works, but who knows given the spate of injuries.

You would think Weigert has got to get better soon though. I was also kind of surprised that Hodgdon's injury has turned out as bad as it is.
Old 11-09-2005   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
I don't think Wand at guard works, but who knows given the spate of injuries.
Missed off-season opportunities aside, IMO for now Pitts needs to stay at LT. Wand's primary problem is speed rushers breaking around the outside edge. Pitts cannot assist him with that from the LG position. On the other hand, with Pitts soloing outside contain (with occasional TE or RB assistance), whatever combination (McKinney & Hodg before or Wand/Weary & McKinney now) can generally double someone on the inside. With Pitts in the middle you have the strongest of any three man combo assisting in a double leaving someone weaker solo.
Old 11-09-2005   #5
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Missed off-season opportunities aside, IMO for now Pitts needs to stay at LT. Wand's primary problem is speed rushers breaking around the outside edge. Pitts cannot assist him with that from the LG position. On the other hand, with Pitts soloing outside contain (with occasional TE or RB assistance), whatever combination (McKinney & Hodg before or Wand/Weary & McKinney now) can generally double someone on the inside. With Pitts in the middle you have the strongest of any three man combo assisting in a double leaving someone weaker solo.

Last Indy game they used McKinney/Pitts on Freeney. I think they have to change from this guard/tackle scheme to tackle/tight end. As you said, they may have to ask Chester to step up and do a lot of 1 on 1 blocking too.

I think these are the combos Pendry will look at this week: Brown/McKinney/Weary or Brown/Weary/McKinney. The first moves Steve back to center, where he doesn't seem to be as effective as at guard. The second puts our two weakest (in skill/experience) lineman next to each other. To me, both are cause for worry. Pendry may try to move Wand into that inside mix, but I'm not sure he will or if Wand would be effective. I'm also skeptical if Riley would be any better at guard than at tackle. They are definitely trying to find the least of several evils when building the inside of the line with Pitts at tackle.

The problem is, every one of the Colts front 4 are dangerous pass rushers - the inside guys frequently get good push. With their two excellent ends (against anybody) and their above average tackles (against our bailing wire and duct tape middle) it could be a very long day. I think the tight end is going to see a lot of time as the "sixth lineman" to address this problem.

This will be a nice sub plot to watch.
Old 11-09-2005   #6
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Pitts may have his hands fulls with Freeney
Everybody this side of Orlando Pace needs help with Freeney. In the Monday night game the rookie LT for the Pats not only got TE help on his side, but
they had a back deployed as a wing back so they could triple team Freeney
in some situations. Of course there's a big down side with this stradegy -
"twinkle toes" Todd is left on the right side all by his lonesome with the other lightning fast Colts edge rusher Mathis. And up there in the friendly confines
of the loud dome stadium in Indy. What ever they are paying Carr, he's gonna earn this weekend. Ain't gonna be pretty.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #7
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Everybody this side of Orlando Pace needs help with Freeney. In the Monday night game the rookie LT for the Pats not only got TE help on his side, but
they had a back deployed as a wing back so they could triple team Freeney
in some situations. Of course there's a big down side with this stradegy -
"twinkle toes" Todd is left on the right side all by his lonesome with the other lightning fast Colts edge rusher Mathis. And up there in the friendly confines
of the loud dome stadium in Indy. What ever they are paying Carr, he's gonna earn this weekend. Ain't gonna be pretty.
I didn't mean to imply that others don't need help with Freeney. I even made that same point about how the Patriots blocked Freeney last year after our Colts games. My point was that given the state of the state of the rest of the, from Wade through left guard, that help may not be available to Pitts.

I've only seen two people go against Freeney 1 on 1 for an entire game. Orlando Pace and Seth Wand last year. Go figure. Sometimes our coaching logic escapes me.
Sponsored links
Old 11-09-2005   #8
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was also kind of surprised that Hodgdon's injury has turned out as bad as it is.
As promising as Hodgdon appears to be at this point, much like Jerome Mathis
he spends a lot of time on the sidelines because of injuries. And of course that's worrisome. Besides this injury he just suffered Sunday, he was out for
several games at the begining of the year due to injury.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #9
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
As promising as Hodgdon appears to be at this point, much like Jerome Mathis
he spends a lot of time on the sidelines because of injuries. And of course that's worrisome. Besides this injury he just suffered Sunday, he was out for
several games at the begining of the year due to injury.
True. I also wonder how much of the improvement Hodgdon is credited for was due to McKinney being at guard rather than center.

Time will tell on these issues.
Old 11-09-2005   #10
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

So in yalls opinion what would our best O-Line combo be
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #11
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas
So in yalls opinion what would our best O-Line combo be
That's tough right now. I'd be tempted to try:

Wand, Brown, Weary, Weigert, Pitts because Wand could play RT without help, leaving a tight end available to help Pitts and the 3 on the inside to block 2.

Or I might admit that the injuries have left us a complete mess, take a flyer, and say:
Wade, Brown, Weary, Weigert, Pitts, Wand (tight end). This would give us lots of opportunity for double teams where needed, and have the added bonus of having very good run blocking on the left side. It's not like Breuner would catch a lot of passes anyway if he was at TE.

Fire away - but then post your line-up.
Old 11-09-2005   #12
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
That's tough right now. I'd be tempted to try:

Wand, Brown, Weary, Weigert, Pitts because Wand could play RT without help, leaving a tight end available to help Pitts and the 3 on the inside to block 2.

Or I might admit that the injuries have left us a complete mess, take a flyer, and say:
Wade, Brown, Weary, Weigert, Pitts, Wand (tight end). This would give us lots of opportunity for double teams where needed, and have the added bonus of having very good run blocking on the left side. It's not like Breuner would catch a lot of passes anyway if he was at TE.

Fire away - but then post your line-up.
For clarity, my preferred line-up is:

Wade, Brown, Weigert, Pitts, Wand and run the double teaming scheme they used last time against Indy, but this has been ruled out by Capers saying that Pitts will remain at LT.

Next is the Wand at TE end line-up. Last is Replace Wade with Wand.
Old 11-09-2005   #13
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I'm not worried about the left side so much as the right. Mathis is going to tear Wade/Brown to pieces.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #14
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

It seems that the best line up they've tried in the past two years is

LT - Pitts
LG - McKinney
C - Hodgdon
RG - Brown
RT - Wade

It seems that if Weigert can play he would be an upgrade over Brown, and Brown would be a good back up at either guard position.
Old 11-09-2005   #15
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

I have always said Wand, Wiegert, Hodgdon, Pitts, Wade. The one thing you do not want is McKinney playing center. However, injuries may require him to play that position. Remember, a year go Wand held his own against Feeney. I think Wand is simply an under developed player as a result of this coaching staff. In the above line I would like Washington to play center if Hodgdon can't. That way you surround your rookies with experience. I still say Pitts has an ego problem and doesn't work well with Wand. Wiegert is a team leader and would work well with Want in my estimation. This is one of those gut feel things based on watching people in interact. Remember, its not the BEST ATHLETES, its what is the most effective combination on the field. I'm always bothered by the Capers montra about the best athletes. Some people just seem to be at the right place at the right time despite their athletic ability. I think we have all seen examples of that.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #16
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-minus67
It seems that the best line up they've tried in the past two years is

LT - Pitts
LG - McKinney
C - Hodgdon
RG - Brown
RT - Wade

It seems that if Weigert can play he would be an upgrade over Brown, and Brown would be a good back up at either guard position.
We're assuming Hodgdon, Weigert and Washington remain unavailable for the purpose of this discussion. Therein lies the problem.
Old 11-09-2005   #17
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Id like to see Wand Wade Hodgdon McKinney Pitts

I think that could possibly be our strongest setup. But can wade play RG? if not.. Wiegert at RG instead of Wade. If Wand cant handle RT, then put Wade in at RT and Wiegert at RG.

course that isnt possible this week.. but thats the change id like to see when it is possible.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #18
Johnny Utah
All Pro

Marc Vandermeer on 610am just said that Jerry Deloach is getting some reps at the O-line position. LOL!! We suck!
Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #19
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah
Marc Vandermeer on 610am just said that Jerry Deloach is getting some reps at the O-line position. LOL!! We suck!
I heard that too, and I hope I'm reading too much into it, but:

I think that says a lot about our coaching staff. They have had many of these o-linemen for 2-3 years, and they think we need to see if a d-lineman would be an improvement? They generally dress 7 lineman I think; they could dress Riley, Wand, Wade, Brown, McKinney, Weary, Pitts.

In their defense, I guess they may be thin at tight end; in that case maybe they want to have one more "o-lineman" as an emergency in case Wand has to act as a back-up TE as well as tackle.

If DeLoach is anything more than an emergency player on offense, this coaching staff is demonstrating that it is inept at helping it's players stay at the level they were when they got here, much less helping them improve. If DeLoach plays in front of a real, uninjured o-lineman the coaching staff may as well wave a flag saying they are incompetent.
Old 11-09-2005   #20
mean mark8
Veteran

Please just don't play Weary. He is a wide-open faucet through which any defense plunges.
mean mark8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read