Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-11-2005   #21
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

man discussing the o-line shuffles of this year and probably next year is depressing...the fact is we need to draft a stud LT, and a stud G...because there are a couple of things that are for sure about this line...weigert is gonna get hurt and we need somebody to start grooming for his replacement(david joseph)...and eventually the coaches are gonna put pitts back at guard
Old 11-11-2005   #22
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc
At any rate, I'd rather see them focus on getting Pitts firmly pegged into wherever he's going to be next year and adjust accordingly.
No way. The Texans' idea of pegging Pitts to a position is to put him in at LT the rest of this season, hire a new LT, then return Pitts to Guard...
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005   #23
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
man discussing the o-line shuffles of this year and probably next year is depressing...the fact is we need to draft a stud LT, and a stud G...because there are a couple of things that are for sure about this line...weigert is gonna get hurt and we need somebody to start grooming for his replacement(david joseph)...and eventually the coaches are gonna put pitts back at guard
We need a Center.
Old 11-11-2005   #24
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72471 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

More than anything else we need good line coaching. Examples have been given in numerous places on this board of less experienced and cheaper lines doing well.

- We say we have a plan with the line, then we abandon that plan on a whim, (Riley? C'mon coach - explain the on-field logic behind that)

- We are slow to change (takes a year to figure out almost everybody double teams Freeney, maybe we should try that)

- People miss assignments, miscommunicate, and don't seem to know their responsibilites at times

- The best players aren't on the field

- The coaches want their players to be automatons rather than aggressive and thinking (Carr makes great pass, Bradford drops, yell at Carr)
Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005   #25
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
More than anything else we need good line coaching. Examples have been given in numerous places on this board of less experienced and cheaper lines doing well.

- We say we have a plan with the line, then we abandon that plan on a whim, (Riley? C'mon coach - explain the on-field logic behind that)

- We are slow to change (takes a year to figure out almost everybody double teams Freeney, maybe we should try that)

- People miss assignments, miscommunicate, and don't seem to know their responsibilites at times

- The best players aren't on the field

- The coaches want their players to be automatons rather than aggressive and thinking (Carr makes great pass, Bradford drops, yell at Carr)
In my assessment, I'm assuming a coaching change. Do you think that we have all the players we need and all that is required is a coaching change?
Old 11-11-2005   #26
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72471 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso
In my assessment, I'm assuming a coaching change. Do you think that we have all the players we need and all that is required is a coaching change?
No, we can certainly use some better players. I'm not sure the coaches could identify them as better and start them though.

I do think we have the players in hand to be far less pathetic then we are now.

This team is far too disjointed. It seems we can never get entire units all executing in sync. If the o-line holds, Carr makes a mistake. If Carr makes a good throw, the receiver breaks off the route. Same types of things on defense - we get a good pass rush, the DBs had given the receivers a 10 yard cushion anyway. All of these things point to poor coaching, in my opinion.
Old 11-11-2005   #27
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Geee, it only took our brain trust nearly 4 years to figure out we need to double team Freeny. These guys must come to the stadium on the short bus.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-11-2005   #28
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i still think hodgdon can be our long-term center...although i think we need a veteran back-up to him
Old 11-11-2005   #29
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Don't be surprised to see Riley starting at right guard Sunday. Another chance for the out of shape player to start at a position he hasn't played.

I don't know what the plan is for the scond half when he's exhausted.
Old 11-11-2005   #30
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Don't be surprised to see Riley starting at right guard Sunday. Another chance for the out of shape player to start at a position he hasn't played.

I don't know what the plan is for the scond half when he's exhausted.

WHAT THE HELL? Have the coaches learned nothing?????:brickwall :brickwall

The only thing I can think is that putting Riley at LT will reduce the sack ratio that Wand/Pitts would have, so they can hopefully find better work elsewhere next year...

Wade, Weary, McKinney, Pitts, Riley is the weakest line-up they have tried yet. We'll be fortunate if they get a single first down!
Old 11-11-2005   #31
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

In the second half, we will move Breuner over to LT cause god-forbid we use Wand. It's like that dude's got leprosy or something...
Old 11-11-2005   #32
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso
Wade, Weary, McKinney, Pitts, Riley is the weakest line-up they have tried yet. We'll be fortunate if they get a single first down!
Actually from RT to LT it'll probably be Wade, Riley, McKinney, Brown, Pitts.

Same results though - Riley at another new position, move Brown to the other side just so that he doesn't get too comfortable playing the same position all the time, etc.

I bet the Indy DL will have a good pool on who gets the most sacks. The defensive tackles will be happy to have a chance to win.
Old 11-11-2005   #33
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

I heard a rumor that Marcus Spears is back...

This could be a drinking game. For every time that Wand is passed up by another has-been or fat lineman, you take a swig. (I would recommend taking a swig with every sack during the Colts game, but I'm afraid nobody would last past the first quarter.)
Old 11-11-2005   #34
Paragon Blue
Veteran

Hodgdon was placed on IR does this mean that he is out for the year?
Old 11-11-2005   #35
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 282867 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon Blue
Hodgdon was placed on IR does this mean that he is out for the year?
Yes.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005   #36
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
HoustonTexans.com

HOUSTON - The Houston Texans have placed C Drew Hodgdon on the Reserve/Injured list after he suffered a sprained right foot Sunday against Jacksonville. To fill Hodgdon’s spot on the roster, the Texans have signed WR Donavan Morgan from the practice squad to their active roster.
Donovan Morgan was a AFL stud. Can't wait to see what he can do in the bigtime.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005   #37
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
Donovan Morgan was a AFL stud. Can't wait to see what he can do in the bigtime.
yes, now only to see if he gels with the rest of the offensive line...:brickwall
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005   #38
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
yes, now only to see if he gels with the rest of the offensive line...:brickwall
He is a WR

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005   #39
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
He is a WR
i know. my sarcasim failed, but i shall explain myself.

WHY ARE WE BRINGING IN A WR TO REPLACE A C ON THE ROSTER?

we have WR covered with or without bradford!!

our oline is in desperation! now...to see where he fits in on the O line... but to better illustrate my point, i leave you with this:
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005   #40
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 11734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have a question here and would like to see what others think. Capers has stated that he is committed to having Pitts play left tackle. Does this seem to be exactly the wrong time for this?

Many people have always had a preference for Pitts at tackle. Although I’m of the opinion Wand should have started the year there, this is not the point of this question. If they were going to change tackles this year, Pitts should have been put there to start the year, instead of Riley. Riley was never the answer to any question at left tackle, as far as I could see. I think the main thing Pendry liked about him was his “non-Wandedness”. So if you are going to commit to Pitts at LT, do it a game 1.

However, right now our line is a shambles. Keeping Pitts at tackle puts Weary, Brown, and McKinney in the middle, with the possibility that McKinney plays center, where he is weaker than at guard. This seems about the worst combination of players we could put into these 3 positions.

We’ll be double teaming Freeney almost constantly this week anyway, so the LT spot is less critical then when that guy is doing one on one blocking. Wouldn’t it make more sense to have Pitts play guard again for now to strengthen the middle, at least until Weigert comes back to shore it up?

It just seems to me our coaches are a couple of steps behind the parade. Examples abound. It took four games for them to see (admit?) that Riley wasn’t the answer, it is taking them forever to limit Bradford’s playing time, waiting until we're into the season to fire Palmer (right or wrong), etc.

Opinions?
i was thinking the same thing about pitts. why start your best lineman at a position thats going to need help this week. i guess they have decided to keep pitts at lt tackle and leave him there. of course they are not real good at game planning. they are kinda single minded. "we want pitts at lt tackle, doesnt matter what would be best for this game."

thats pretty much why we su@@.

Last edited by utahmark; 11-11-2005 at 10:43 PM.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read