Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-09-2005   #21
Cincinnatikid
Veteran

Marcus my friend, my point was not that the players dont fit the scheme or even that the scheme doesnt fit our players. My point is that this whole scheme is terrible and that no players would ever fit this scheme. You can have the fastest, strongest, smartest OLBs in the league and it wouldnt work. On almost every snap you can see the OLBs have to see whether the QB is dropping back and then they have to make the decision to rush or drop back. That is a wasted second and if it usually takes a second or two to get to the QB on the rush, then it is near impossible to get a sack. So my point is that even though this scheme is not good because it is easily picked apart by a good QB, the OLBs are causing the QB to make quicker decisions but they still can find open receivers. Peek, Orr, Babin and Anderson have not gotten many sacks but they have put on some decent pressure. I might also add that Peek forced Leftwiich to step up into the pocket last week which allowed a DL to get a sack. Sacks are not the only important thing, but if they were allowed to just simply rush instead of reacting, and there were some blitzes, I think that Peek and Babin and whoever else would meet their expectations.
Cincinnatikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #22
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
I don't know. I suppose not. If you really want to know who I think should be thrown out on his ear, check the avatar that I just stole from aj.
Actually I am a card-carrying member of aj's get rid of Casserly club, I just don't sport the avatar. I have prioritized elsewhere my hit list as #1 Fangio, #2 Casserly, #3 Pendry and #4 Capers. Now with #4 you get a bonus of #1 and #3, and realistically Fangio won't go before Capers so from that viewpoint, Casserly is my #1. That said, I still think the coaching is horrid.
Old 11-11-2005   #23
touttail
All Pro

Speaking of how important a defense is to a team. Look at the Ravens, they won a Super Bowl with an outstanding defense and a average offense with Dilfer at QB. Dilfer was told not to throw interceptions to lose the game and he didn't. The Ravens defense held their opponents to low scores giving their offense a chance to score enough to win. This is Capers thinking, but our defense is well below average, so your offense can't be mediocre playing Capers conservative football!

bobby 119C
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005   #24
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

you know stats are tricky things...i've always thought stats on defense doesn't matter...there are only two stats that matter on defense...how many points allowed per game and scoring defense...that's what matters...for get the yardage...points is what wins this game
Old 11-11-2005   #25
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
you know stats are tricky things...i've always thought stats on defense doesn't matter...there are only two stats that matter on defense...how many points allowed per game and scoring defense...that's what matters...for get the yardage...points is what wins this game
Stats are for baseball. You cannot tell as much with statistics in football as you can in sports like baseball where you can look up the best hitters by looking at BA or SP, or pitchers by looking at their key stats. Most statistics in football are deceiving at best because there are way too many variables in the numbers.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005   #26
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by touttail
Speaking of how important a defense is to a team. Look at the Ravens, they won a Super Bowl with an outstanding defense and a average offense with Dilfer at QB. Dilfer was told not to throw interceptions to lose the game and he didn't. The Ravens defense held their opponents to low scores giving their offense a chance to score enough to win. This is Capers thinking, but our defense is well below average, so your offense can't be mediocre playing Capers conservative football!

bobby 119C
We're no ravens...
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005   #27
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by touttail

bobby 119C
The Buccaneers did it a couple years later too. Their #1 defense shut down the #1 offense in the Raiders in the Super Bowl.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read