Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-08-2005   #1
Htown34s
Veteran

Default Jamaal Charles vs. Reggie Bush

This post stems from a conversation yesterday over lunch. We were talking how Vince Young deserves the Heisman this year and how Reggie Bush should be 2nd. I mentioned how UT's true freshman RB Jamaal Charles is the next Reggie Bush which no one agreed with. So I dug up some stats.

Actually, he has a chance to be much better then Bush: (download PDF with stats)

Charles is having a better year as a true freshman than Bush has any year except for the current season. And when you take out the 3 games that Charles played a few snaps but was injured, his per game stats are about even as this year. Of course, Bush does returns also which should tire him out a little for RB duties.

I'm not saying that Charles should be mentioned for the Heisman this year, but everyone better look out the next few seasons...
Old 11-08-2005   #2
metalmike
Veteran

Charles will most likely win a heisman in a couple of years. he looks amazing for a true freshman.
metalmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #3
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

this is an unfair comparison. Reggie Bush is older and better than Jamal Charles, plus plays half the plays that Jamal does. Jamal is a running back and that is pretty much it. Jamal should be being compared to Deangelo Williams, Lendale White, Adrian Peterson, or Maroney. The kid is good, but he is not as mutli dimensional as Bush.
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #4
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Ramonce Taylor is closer in style to Bush than Charles. But neither are in Bush's league.

I do think Bush had the benefit of coming out of high school with a bigger spotlight on him and it hasn't hurt that he's lived up to the hype. Therefore he's going to get more recognition for what he accomplishes. The same thing is happening with Texas' biggest star (Vince Young). If/When the spotlight dims on those guys, maybe Charles and/or Taylor will be there to step in.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess its normal for home town fans to elevate their own and discount the competition. Jamaal is a good looking quick back at this stage of his career, lets give him another year with Vince in the backfield & see how he does, not to mention the Longhorns may be losing a couple pretty good linemen.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #6
Htown34s
Veteran

I attached a PDF with stats. Did yall take a look?
Old 11-08-2005   #7
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Have you seen Cody Hodges' stats compared to Matt Leinart's?

Does that make Hodges the better QB?
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-08-2005   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown34s
I attached a PDF with stats. Did yall take a look?
yes, good beginning to be sure
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #9
Htown34s
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
Have you seen Cody Hodges' stats compared to Matt Leinart's?
Yeah, but Tech is nothing but a modern run and shoot scheme. JC is a legit RB. Not taking anything from Bush, he is amazing. I'm just happy we have Charles (and Taylor).
Old 11-08-2005   #10
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Comparing the two is a little too early, Bush is more dynamic because he can return kicks and punts, play WR like a WR and is a gamebreaker at RB. Charles is a gamebreak, but not as much...

At the beginning of the season Charles opened his mouth saying he would make Texas fans forget about Adrian Peterson...he backed it up, big time.

He'll be in the Heisman race his Junior and Senior year for sure.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #11
Jerry
Veteran

I like Charles a lot as a true RB, not as a Reggie Bush-type. Ramonce Taylor is someone I see as a Reggie Bush-lite/Warrick Dunn type. Both are great players, and who doesn't love Big Henry Melton running over d-lineman? The RB situation in Texas looks great right now.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #12
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I do not want to compare the two, but do want to say that based on his first season Charles's future looks incredibly bright. What I love about his style of play is his great footwork and patience in allowing holes to open. His maturity on the field is uncanny as a true freshman. They have not thrown to him much, but he has shown he has hands and he has picked up blitz assigments. What I did not mention is his track resume.

I think we are looking at a future Heisman winner and top 10 pick if he stays on the right path.
Old 11-08-2005   #13
LonghornBabe
Tubin' Chic

Rep Power: 573 LonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LonghornBabe Send a message via Yahoo to LonghornBabe

The big key for Charles is him staying healthy! If he does......who knows what the future will hold...BUT I personally am glad he is a Longhorn! He is fun to watch!

Kimberly
Check out my blog at kimberlyskakery.com
LonghornBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #14
bigcarlos
Veteran

JC might win a heisman one day. Reggie plays different positions and is a threat at either one they put him at. Bush has video game like moves.
bigcarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #15
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

A little early to make the comparisons. But he is definitely on the right track. Through time he should get stronger and faster too because of college conditioning. It is hard to say whether he will win a heisman at some point because you really don't know who is going to be good. But I wouldn't put it past him to be a finalist.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #16
TexansCanes
All Pro

when you look at bush you don't just look at his stats, you watch how he was able to make the plays. the old phrase he makes a 2 yard lose into a 6 yard gain, well bush makes it a touchdown. charles is good and has a very bright future, but bush comparisons are a little early.
Old 11-12-2005   #17
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
I guess its normal for home town fans to elevate their own and discount the competition. Jamaal is a good looking quick back at this stage of his career, lets give him another year with Vince in the backfield & see how he does, not to mention the Longhorns may be losing a couple pretty good linemen.
Agreered, Saw him live in highschool. He is a great tallent no doubt. I was stuck by how tiny his ankles are. I believe they will always give him problems. He will be a great college running back. And at Texas there won't be too many folks getting clean hits on him. Just think Bush is a very rare tallent.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't catch if it was Matt or Adam from 610am but one of them just made one of the gaffs of the decade. They were talking about whether Charles had a chance at the Heisman and one took the position it would NEVER happen for a RB splitting carries. Where the hell has he been for the past year?
Old 09-05-2006   #19
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Dr. Frankenthread I presume?
Old 09-05-2006   #20
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Somebody compared Charles running to a wisp of smoke... and that's about as accurate a description as I can find (insert pot joke here). He's remarkable... that TD run against Oklahoma was unbelievable... he got a little bit of space and shifted from 2nd to 5th gear instantly.

He may not be as explosive or creative or have the vision or all those superlatives everyone showered on Bush, but he's two very important things... a tough runner and probably the fastest back in college (and maybe professional) football. I think his track times support that statement (10.13 hundred, even better in the hurdles). Everybody talks about Colt McCoy and this and that... but UT will live and die with Charles... if he stays healthy they will lose 1 game max.
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read