Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-08-2005   #1
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP
Default Last nights game showed we have a chance against Indy,

Now some of you will really start chewing on me, but Indy showed they do have a big weakness and it fits into the Texans game. They have an excellent field goal kicker, but the rest of their special team game is not what the rest of the team is. Their kickoffs are short and if Mathis can play he could be a big factor in the game. Of course Indy is going to score, but if you can immediately come back against them you have a chance. Mathis is an above average returner. We have to play a perfect game, but I believe we have some mismatches that can hurt Indy. They obviously do to. Look for a close game, because they will not be as high for us as NE.

Also did you notice that Mankins was the starting LG and they are using a rookie as their starting LT. Both are doing very well and Brady move to that side when he was in trouble. Again the arguement that you could not draft anyone in this year's draft or the preceding ones just doesn't hold water. It was the Caper's priorities I believe kept us from getting help on the O-line. In fact one of their better defensive players was a 7th rounder Philly didn't have enough money left to sign. I really think overall this set of coaches are not developers of talent and can't see the trees for the forest.

I really believe if our O-line is back from injuries and we play our best game we have a chance at Indy. That comes from a pessimist, but I have watched and I still think they can be had. GO TEXANS......................
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #2
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't forget, we still haven't figured out the Cover 2 defense...
Old 11-08-2005   #3
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Indy's kicker wasn't doing that last night because he sucks, he was doing it to minimize the chance of a game breaking return--i.e. kick the ball short meaning the coverage team is on top of it when it lands and doesn't give the blocking and returning time to build steam. His average kick is only a couple yards shorter than Kris Brown's.
Old 11-08-2005   #4
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

We have played better the last two games. I do feel that if we have all of our playmakers on the field we do have a chance, although I have been ripped for saying that injuries have not been an issue for us. Having Mathis and Davis back will help.

Cover 2 has been a thorn in our side. Limited scheme, OLine or DC's maturation may be the suspect here. However, DC is getting more conformatble as Pendry builds the playbook one step at a time (I do agree with SES on this take) and believe that this could be DC's break out game this year.
Old 11-08-2005   #5
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

The Cover 2 defense is dangerous, but easy to beat. You need a TE over and WR to find holes in the middle and the space between the CB and Safety. Crossing routes(AJ's Favorites) also work quite well against the Cover 2. The main objective is to get the dropping Middle linebacker to commit to either the TE or WR leaving the other open for the pass.

We do not have a TE and we do not like to run WR 10-15 yds in the middle of the field. Look for another close fight and then eventual blowout this sunday.
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #6
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Mathis is not just above average, he is amazing.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #7
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 279120 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Man, if Ibar Harry is drinking the koolaid, I might have to get a sip of that!

Like I said in another post, I always hope that the Texans win...I'll never give up hope.

But I've got to keep it real. [puts analyst hat on] If the Colts are playing their game, they'll win. The Texans have to step up and play a solid 4 quarters of football with few mistakes, and we need Indy to shoot themselves in the foot.

I'm not doggin' our team. But the Colts are arguably the best team in football right now, as evident by their 8-0 record. I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the Superbowl this year.

That being said, we're a 1-7 team. We can't get around that fact. And all that really matters in the NFL is scoreboard, not how close we play this team or that team. None of that matters. Wins and losses are the ONLY thing at the end of the day.
Old 11-08-2005   #8
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

As for the Patriots offensive line play, that was predicated on Brady's 3 step drops where he immediately got rid of the ball. There simply was no time for sacks. You need a calm cool QB to run that kind of gameplan.

As for our kickoffs, sadly, that's as far as they go, and I expect Mathis to get you guys to the 40 yard line on most returns.
Old 11-08-2005   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngstown Colt
As for our kickoffs, sadly, that's as far as they go, and I expect Mathis to get you guys to the 40 yard line on most returns.
Smart teams take away what can hurt them whenever possible. if Mathis does play this week then I'll bet beer they don't kick to him or they kick in such a way that the defenders surround Jerome before he can ramp his amazing speed up. Unless of course they want to just entertain their fans and play with the Texans like cat & mouse.

As far as your O-Line comments are concerned, yes I'm mystified why MaClain's call to protect David at end of last season was not taken more seriously by Casserly & Cappers. Mankins could be playing LG right now for the Texans and Pitts would be our LT :brickwall
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #10
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

the game will be close till halftime and then you all will make adjustments and our coaching staff will stick with the same gameplan. to say the least Colts victroy by 20+.
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #11
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
I'm not doggin' our team. But the Colts are arguably the best team in football right now, as evident by their 8-0 record. I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the Superbowl this year.

That being said, we're a 1-7 team. We can't get around that fact. And all that really matters in the NFL is scoreboard, not how close we play this team or that team. None of that matters. Wins and losses are the ONLY thing at the end of the day.
I'm not sure anyone could argue that the Colts aren't the best team in the NFL. Other than that I agree with you, I doubt we will win but that's why they play the game. The Dolphins beat the Pats late last year. Peyton could break his leg and not play.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #12
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 279120 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Very true, MorKnolle. (I mentioned "arguably" due to the varying opinions on ESPN on who the "best" team is right now). I wouldn't argue against them right now, though.

But you're right, that's why they play the game. So our best chance is for Manning to break a leg? (j/k!)
Old 11-08-2005   #13
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

We played them ok 2 weeks ago but ran out of gas. With AJ back and Indy comming off an emotional MNF game we have a chance to shock the world. And the sun shines on a lame dogs *** someday.
BigBull17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #14
NativeJPR
Rookie

Default Texans @ Colts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17
We played them ok 2 weeks ago but ran out of gas. With AJ back and Indy comming off an emotional MNF game we have a chance to shock the world. And the sun shines on a lame dogs *** someday.
It's a crying shame that we as fans can't have any more confidence in our team than we do...........Mr. McNair we should be contending for the playoffs NOT sitting in the cellar wondering IF and WHEN we will win another game.........GO TEXANS........even a blind hog will find an acorn every now and then
NativeJPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #15
cred
Rookie

Is it me or did it look like Indy had a somewhat difficult time handling the bull rush on a lot of plays and alot of the the stretch play runs last night against the pats.
cred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #16
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Indy is streaking. They are red hot, and Dungy's too good a coach to let his team forget about Houston. Plus, like we all keep mentioning, we did hang around last time. Indy does not want us hanging around this time. In fact, I'm guessing Dungy's game plan is going to have some fast strikes similar to this week's game, but going towards Coleman to exploit him. Buchanon will also be exploited. Even with Dre back, we don't have the offense to score more than two touchdowns in a game. I'm not trying to be a troll on this, and like most everyone else, I hope we win (and I'll be loving every minute of a victory), but look at the history. We've never beaten the Colts. This isn't our year. It's theirs.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #17
Colts Addict
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cred
Is it me or did it look like Indy had a somewhat difficult time handling the bull rush on a lot of plays and alot of the the stretch play runs last night against the pats.
Well... considering Edge ran for over 100 yards last night, I wouldn't say he had too tough of a time. He isn't going to get it every run... but I am estatic with how he performed last night. I will take it!!!
Colts Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #18
Hoosier
Rookie

Default Don't know if I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
The Cover 2 defense is dangerous, but easy to beat. You need a TE over and WR to find holes in the middle and the space between the CB and Safety. Crossing routes(AJ's Favorites) also work quite well against the Cover 2. The main objective is to get the dropping Middle linebacker to commit to either the TE or WR leaving the other open for the pass.

We do not have a TE and we do not like to run WR 10-15 yds in the middle of the field. Look for another close fight and then eventual blowout this sunday.

About the cover 2 being easy to beat I mean. I'm not a defensive guru by any means but the wife says I can be very offensive when I want to. Anyway, I think I read somewhere the top four rated defenses in the league are all playing cover 2. Dungy is the cover 2 genius too.

Hoosier.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #19
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

But we run a cover 2 with a three man front. Our LBs aren't good enough to apply the consistent pressure that a fourth lineman would normally give.

Interesting that the top four Ds in the league run cover 2s, though. Do all of them have four linemen?
Old 11-08-2005   #20
bigcarlos
Veteran

They brought their A game yesterday and won. Against us, they only need to briing a D game and still whoop our butts
bigcarlos is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read