Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

View Poll Results: Who will be the #1 picker this year?
Houston Texans (currently 1-7) 28 70.00%
Greenbay Packers (currently 1-7) 5 12.50%
The Saints (NO, SA, LA,?) (currently 2-7) 2 5.00%
San Francisco 49ers (currently 2-6) 4 10.00%
Arizona Cardinals (currently 2-6) 0 0%
Baltimore Ravens (currently 2-6) 1 2.50%
New York Jets (currently 2-6) 0 0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2005   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Who will have the #1 pick next year?

Tough choice
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #2
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

either the Texans or Packers
Old 11-08-2005   #3
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 140741 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i have no doubt it wont be the packers, despite having 1/2 his offense on IR or on other teams, favre and CO. will pull out atleast 5 wins. the biggest "losers" right now are the jets, 49'ers, saints, and texans. i voted texans, honestly because the season's over and with the way we've played thus far we really arent going to do more than find a couple upsets. besides that, we're better off losing out. winning means that capers has a glimmer of hope at staying and our draft choice moves higher. that said, the 49'ers are really, REALLY bad again. they're in the same boat of "maybe a couple upsets", so it's really a battle between us (even money says the loser of 49ers/texans game gets top pick). the saints arent entirely pathetic but still have no chance at a winning record, and the jets will likely survive their injury woes on hard work & luck.
Old 11-08-2005   #4
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Looking at the remaining schedule for these teams and also adding Tennessee in the mix (currently at 2-6) this is the order I think it will be:

1. San Francisco (3-13)
2. New Orleans (3-13)
3. Green Bay (4-12)
4. Arizona (4-12)
5. Tennessee (4-12)
6. Baltimore (5-11)
7. NY Jets (5-11)
8. Houston (6-10)

I didn't work out what would be the tie-breaker between 1-2, 3-5, and 6-7, but those are the records I predict for these teams. Among those teams, Arizona, Baltimore, and NY Jets will be looking for a QB and will likely trade up to try and get Leinart, Omar Jacobs (Bowling Green QB), Brady Quinn (if he comes out), and/or Drew Stanton. The 49ers have Alex Smith, the Saints have Aaron Brooks which I think they are pleased with for now, the Packers have Favre or Aaron Rodgers, Tennessee has McNair, and we have Carr, so none of those teams will be looking to get in the top 3-4 picks to get a QB, so ultimately I think Baltimore and Arizona will trade up to get the top two spots to get a new franchise QB.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #5
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Kind of a coin toss IMO, but I will go with the 49ers. I suspect we will be winning 3-4 this year as we SEEM to be playing better. My major radical pick for a win....this weekend against the Colts. They expended a LOT of emotion and energy on Monday nights game with the Pats and could have a major let down on a short week, just when we are starting to play better. If it was in Relient I would be more confident, but I will go with this anyway.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #6
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

I would love to say that I think we can beat the Colts this weekend, but honestly I don't. However, we do have Arizona, San Francisco, and Baltimore left, and all of them are on this list. We also have Tennessee which I think we can/should beat. Between St. Louis, Kansas City and Jacksonville at home I think we could win one of those, so I still see us going 5-11, maybe 6-10 on the year.
Old 11-08-2005   #7
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Mork bringing the meat. I like your post I am leaning more toward 5-11, which would give us the 6-8th pick depending on tie breakers. That puts us in a position to get just what we need an elite OL. I would love to see Bush, but I doubt San Fan passes on him, which means NO takes best D prospect, GB and Tennessee will also likely go defense depending on how many people they lose. Baltimore is taking Quinn, Jacobs, Young or whatever top QB is still there. That would leave us and the Jets. The Jets will likely take a Offensive prospect, but not a QB and We will have to take Winston unless there is someone who really shines at the spot.
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-09-2005   #8
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

The Texans i dont see the packers not winning they have something we lack a winner for a QB that knows how to win.
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

All I know is that the Texans will use their 1st pick on a LT. if they finish better than expected and lose out on the D'Brikashwaw sweepstakes there is still Eric Winston. he is looking healthy and back to form and as a bonus think of this little plan- y'all know that Eric was a Texas boy & played Midland-Lee? he was also recruited by the Miami Hurricanes as a TE, they've been known to have some good ones over the years haven't they? so here is the idea- line him up as a TE leave Pitts at LT, draft a couple top guards and you kill two birds with one stone. can you imagine the protection Carr would get on the left side? and if he needed to drop it off there would be Winston. Ok now you can call me
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #10
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

I would likely take Winston over Ferguson anyways, but we'll have to wait and see how both of them finish the year and how they do at the combine and workouts.
Old 11-09-2005   #11
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
I would likely take Winston over Ferguson anyways, but we'll have to wait and see how both of them finish the year and how they do at the combine and workouts.
Winston has a stronger upper body, and better hand punch.
D'brick has quicker feet, longer arms, and better balence.

If Joe Thomas declares, it will be a push for top spot between the three, but if they all declare I see them talent wise as:
D'brick
Joe Thomas
Winston

If they all declare and we are looking at potential:
D'brick
Winston
Joe Thomas
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #12
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
I haven't seen D'Brick play, but if Winston is considered a top ten LT then this ain't a good LT draft. Of the games I have seen him play he is just not that good. He is the first guy to pick his running back up off the ground because he isn't blocking anybody. Watch a Georgia game and Gilles nevers helps his running back up because he has to get off of the guy he just pancaked.
Old 11-09-2005   #13
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

wags just so you know that Winston has given up 2 sacks all year. Compared to 5 by Dbrick and Joe Thomas 3. I would think that you guys that post acutally watch the game and pay attention to technique. Joe Thomas is a great Tackle but maybe better as a RT or LG. D'brick is an elite LT and Winston is an elite LT it just depends on what you are looking for. You want someone who is strong and moves the pile and does not let your qb get lit up or do you want someone who is fast and cannot move the pile but does not let your qb get lit up. Bottom line of it is that right now Winston is my guy with D'brick a close second. After those guys the rest are a major step below.
Old 11-09-2005   #14
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

If you like him that's fine. Everytime I have seen Winston I thought he stunk. Giving up two sacks in the college game is not impressive to me, and like I said I have not seen D'Brick play. So if Winston is better than D'Brick then I really hope we don't draft either one of them with the first pick.
Old 11-09-2005   #15
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

the difference is like Rogers and AJ when we picked them in the draft. One has tons of hype and the other has been quiet and just performed at the highest level of competition college has to offer. I think they are about the same and will both be Pro Bowlers by year 3, but I like my T with a mean streak and strong. More like Olando Pace rather than Walter Jones. I think the O Paces handle guys like Freeney better than the Walter Jones.
Old 11-09-2005   #16
wags
Hall of Fame

I jsut don't see Winston being a better prospect than Jamaal Brown was last year. Brown split time at LT and RT and gave up 0 sacks all year. He was an awesome run blocker as well. With Winston I don't see that at all. At least not against good teams like VT.
Old 11-09-2005   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
If you like him that's fine. Everytime I have seen Winston I thought he stunk. Giving up two sacks in the college game is not impressive to me, and like I said I have not seen D'Brick play. So if Winston is better than D'Brick then I really hope we don't draft either one of them with the first pick.
your basing opinion based on his first major game coming back from ACL injury @ the beginning of this season against a healthy, fired up & top level pass rushing D-Line (when healthy). yes he had some issues with his movements because he didn't have his legs or knee bend working just yet. however since then he has not given up a sack and his movements have returned to pre-injury status. where you not watching the VT game? he was dominant both in pass protection & run blocking.

and another thing if he smashes someone down to the ground, the whistle blows and the play is over I don't have any problem helping the guy back up as long as he smacks him back down again the next play, thats the way football should be played, its called sportsmanship
Old 11-09-2005   #18
wags
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
where you not watching the VT game? he was dominant both in pass protection & run blocking.
I watched the game and he was not impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
and another thing if he smashes someone down to the ground, the whistle blows and the play is over I don't have any problem helping the guy back up as long as he smacks him back down again the next play, thats the way football should be played, its called sportsmanship
Huh? I think you misunderstood what I typed.

Quote:
He is the first guy to pick his running back up off the ground because he isn't blocking anybody.
He was always picking up his RB during the game, which is nice and all, but shouldn't he have been finishing his block or getting off of the guy he just pancaked?
Old 11-09-2005   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
I watched the game and he was not impressive.
I DO NOT AGREE WITH YOUR ASSESMENT IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM, BUT YOU ARE ENTITLED TO YOUR OPINION AS I AM MINE

Quote:
He was always picking up his RB during the game, which is nice and all, but shouldn't he have been finishing his block or getting off of the guy he just pancaked?
UNBELIEVABLE! WHAT WAS THE FINAL SCORE OF THE GAME? WHO WAS RANKED HIGHER? WHO WAS PLAYING ON THE ROAD? WHO DOMINATED THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE? WHO HAD THE MORE MOBILE QB? AND YOUR WORRIED ABOUT ALWAYS PICKING UP HIS RB?
Old 11-09-2005   #20
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
If Joe Thomas declares, it will be a push for top spot between the three, but if they all declare I see them talent wise as:
D'brick
Joe Thomas
Winston
Who's Joe Thomas? My geuss is he plays for some team in Texas. Right?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read