Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-07-2005   #61
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
DD has nice stats because of an over-reliance by the coaches and now Carr on the dump offs. This isn't DDs fault but we need a more diversified offense if we're ever going to get anywhere. This means less of the offense through DD.
see now your getting it ledzep. We bench DD and force the offense to work without him for a few games, then bring him in and see how it all works with him. Benching DD is a good thing for our offense as it allows Carr and the offensive players to quite using its favorite crutch, DD.

It isn't that DD doesn't deserve to play, it is the offense does not deserve to utilize him so much.
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005   #62
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin269
Sorry man, the DD to Barry Sanders comparison just isn't working for me. They aren't the same kind of player, not even close. DD has nice stats because of an over-reliance by the coaches and now Carr on the dump offs. This isn't DDs fault but we need a more diversified offense if we're ever going to get anywhere. This means less of the offense through DD. If he was such a dynamic player, that after getting 50-60% of the offense we probably probably shouldn't be 1-7 right now.
I agree DD is no Sanders, but we do not pay Dom Davis Barry Sander's level money. We expect that delta in production to come elsewhere, but that is another thread.
Old 11-07-2005   #63
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBred_Texan
Well I will say it...

DD is a back up RB at best. We will draft R Bush and the running game will open up. DD does NOT have the skills it takes to be a 1500+ yd runner a year. He has a big heart, but lacks in some skills. He is not "one of the best" players on the team by any means....
He is not one of the fastest few RBs in the league, but he is very solid. He is quick, he recognizes holes well, he catches the ball well, and he runs hard and plays with a lot of heart. In my mind he reminds me somewhat of Emmitt Smith. Before everyone cries about that comparison I will admit that as an overall RB Emmitt was better, but physically the two are very similar, not to mention DD is only in his third year and playing with a less complete team and a much worse OL.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005   #64
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Please dont try and compare DD and LT. Thats retarded. However bench dd? Wow thats not the smartest thing in my opinion. We'd probably be even worse off. The fact is its the coaches. Imaging have someone will pass then let DD run every 3rd or so play. We'd be elite. Ty Good Game
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005   #65
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

DD should stay in. He is a great pass catching back. The coaches just nneed to realize the pass is good.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005   #66
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan
see now your getting it ledzep. We bench DD and force the offense to work without him for a few games, then bring him in and see how it all works with him. Benching DD is a good thing for our offense as it allows Carr and the offensive players to quite using its favorite crutch, DD.

It isn't that DD doesn't deserve to play, it is the offense does not deserve to utilize him so much.

Well, this whole "reduce DDs role" argument has been going on for awhile now. I remember Fiddy as one of the early campaigners - but in any case, my main argument is against the people that think the solution is trading him.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005   #67
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBred_Texan
Well I will say it...

DD is a back up RB at best. We will draft R Bush and the running game will open up. DD does NOT have the skills it takes to be a 1500+ yd runner a year. He has a big heart, but lacks in some skills. He is not "one of the best" players on the team by any means....
You know as nice as I think it would be to have Bush and DD in the backfield for the Texans I really dont see it happening. Well right now at least, by the end of the season i could be wrong, but we have DD, Wells, Morency, and I think Hollings (does he even still play running back for the Texans). Four running backs, I would agree that the Texans should bench Davis more so they can evaluate the other running backs and see if they're keepers. Morency could still develop into a good running back but could he become good enough to split time with DD I hope so. Wells is a solid backup, I would hate to see him go. Hollings I remember seeing him run well a long long time ago, have no idea where he could be right now. I was surprised yesterday that Hollings was on the field but i didnt really see how he did, but the way I see it one of them would have to go in order to draft Bush. In regards to DD being traded no way that would be crazy I would not want to see that happen. Thems my 2 cents.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-07-2005   #68
spence425
Rookie

this is just stupid. the passing game stinks all the time, and it is a simple matter of having no time. carr has time to get one read and then dump against most defenses. that dump happens to be DD (who is an above average back overall). that's why johnson has been struggling this year in the previous games. defenses focus on him, leaving DD with good stats still because he's the dump. give carr a chance and he'll spread it around.
spence425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005   #69
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Carr spread it around just fine in the Jags game, hence the bench DD idea. Carr and DD shouldn't be on the field together. It makes Carr do his job when DD is on the bench, which is a good thing. Cause nothing else seems to be making him earn his paycheck.

Bench DD and make Carr a better QB first. Then we can bring DD back in and have a legit 1-2 punch, IMHO.
Old 11-07-2005   #70
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_boy_yec
You know as nice as I think it would be to have Bush and DD in the backfield for the Texans I really dont see it happening. Well right now at least, by the end of the season i could be wrong, but we have DD, Wells, Morency, and I think Hollings (does he even still play running back for the Texans). Four running backs, I would agree that the Texans should bench Davis more so they can evaluate the other running backs and see if they're keepers. Morency could still develop into a good running back but could he become good enough to split time with DD I hope so. Wells is a solid backup, I would hate to see him go. Hollings I remember seeing him run well a long long time ago, have no idea where he could be right now. I was surprised yesterday that Hollings was on the field but i didnt really see how he did, but the way I see it one of them would have to go in order to draft Bush. In regards to DD being traded no way that would be crazy I would not want to see that happen. Thems my 2 cents.
Well the Texans will either draft Bush or Leinart. I think Bush would be best right now because we have not had a great running back since Earl Campbell. I hope they don't mess this up....
Old 11-07-2005   #71
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

DD is a pretty good NFL RUNNING back, but he is HORRIBLE as a blocking back. Probably why they put him out in a pattern to catch a pass, that and he has good hands. Why keep a guy in to block who can't. Put him where he can help.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005   #72
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 304671 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
DD is a pretty good NFL RUNNING back, but he is HORRIBLE as a blocking back.
DD is inconsistant more than horrible--some great plays and then whiffs. Really a problem all our RB's have. DD is about 65% ok/ 35% bad. Wells more 80%/20% and Morency in limited exposure (I would guess he will get better with more practice) 20%/80%.
Old 11-07-2005   #73
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan

can you read what you are writting? becasue the coaches are calling too many running plays we should sit the running back? that is without doubt the dumbest thing anyone could say! we had wells in there and we still threw a bunch of dumb-offs, the only differance was that we didnt run the ball very well and we got our pro-bowl wide reciver back, hence we had to pass the ball. The only problem we have right here is playcalling. everyone knows we are going to run the ball to the left, and whenever carr calls an audible, eveyone knows its gonna be a run, probably to the left.

now, please stop waisting our time with such brainless posts...
Old 11-07-2005   #74
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run
Default Dont bench or trade DD

I really have been stuned by some of the posts I have seen on this MB about Dom Davis. Mostly the arguments range from 1. we have a better offense when he is not in the game or 2. he is a back-up running back and no better.

First off, the first argument is plain stupid. Almost every game we have played with DD has lead to other defenses bringing 8 man fronts. That means that if the coaching staff is bright enough to realize we have single coverage on the recivers we would have a much better passing attack. He is also keyed on during the passing games as other teams have reconginzed he can hurt them catching the ball. While at times it seems we run too many dump-offs, I would preffer a 6 yd catch to a 6 yd sack. Ultimatley, DD could be used far more effectivley than he is being used right now, giving him less carries, esspecially when it is obvious we are running. Because this offense is so basic we lean on DD and he gets picked on by other defenses. If we get protection enough to throw downfield, DD will get a lot more holes and a lot more yds, maybe than some people can see his value.

Secondly, the thoeory that DD is a backup is plain stupid. Just becasue a player is not taken in the 1/2 rd. in the draft does not mean he is a backup. Last year he had practically the same amount of yds from scrimage (runing and catching) as LaDannian Tomlinson (1700+ yds). While this does not mean he is as good as LT, that also means he is a top 10, probably top 7 RB in this league. All the while playing behind the most limited offense in the league.

Dont know if this has acctually had any affect on those of you determined to balme someone other than the coaches for our crappy record, but I hope that you at least consider my post before spewing off about DD again..
Old 11-07-2005   #75
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I have a crazy idea:

Maybe the problem is CARR?

If Carr got into a groove against the Browns (with AJ on the bench), spreading the ball around to Gaffney and other WRs...when previously he was locking onto AJ and refused to find other WRs...

And if we scored MORE points with DD on the bench because Carr could not dump it off to DD...thus being forced to go elsewhere with the ball...

...Then maybe--just maybe--it's Carr's fault for not being able to do the same blasted thing with (GASP!) both AJ and DD in the game!?

I mean, if this guy is an NFL starter at QB, getting fat paychecks and plenty of playing time on the field and on the modeling runways, and yet it takes players being OUT of the game for him to overcome the AJ-DD crutch...then the guy is definitely a wooden nickel.

And for you guys to be so bored with the team right now that you're even giving honest and serious consideration to this whole idea is very disturbing, IMO. Funny, but oddly disturbing at the same time.

Kind of like having a dream about swimming in your grandmother's underwear through a river of chicken noodle soup...and an alien awaits you on the banks of the river, to wisk you away for an inter-planetary wedding feast in the Drazaar sector of the Grahkoom galaxy.

Now THAT is disturbing.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005   #76
thegr8fan
All Pro

Quote:
everyone knows we are going to run the ball to the left, and whenever carr calls an audible, eveyone knows its gonna be a run, probably to the left.
right. so what do they know when DD isn't in there? nothing, thats right, we actually confuse the opposing team with DD NOT in there. They cant 'key in' on him either on a run or a pass.

and yes I can read what I write, but thanks for asking.

and gpshafer, I think your starting to catch on. And I ain't talking about your dream either, no matter how disturbing it is.
Old 11-07-2005   #77
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 92823 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

this is silly. the ones bashing DD are the same ones defending carr. the saying yall are using "how would manning or brady do behind this line?" also applies to the RB position. how would priest or Alexander do behind this line? they'd be 1000 yard rushers, sure. so is DD. what would DD do behind the steeler's line? or KC's? everyone remembers DD saying he was going to rush for 2,000 yards after his rookie season. anyone think he couldnt do it behind denver's? more often than not, DD is hit first BEHIND the LOS and is still percieved by the rest of the league as our biggest threat on offense. what if he were with san diego? would he be looked at in the same regard as LT because of his ability to run AND catch with the best of em? again, this is silly.

i loved grid's post. lets bench dunta because he dominates his aspect of the game and makes it obvious how bad the other side is doing. that is exactly what the topic of this thread is saying. bench the top player because the other side isnt holding up to their end of the bargain.

and as always ... it's because of capers + crew. dom has had ONE winning season in 8 years. you do the math.
Old 11-07-2005   #78
TexAntagonise
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to TexAntagonise Send a message via MSN to TexAntagonise

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm
stick around awhile ..
I second this motion!

I think Iím going to quit my job so I wonít be so dependant on a steady income.
TexAntagonise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #79
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 92823 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
This is the dumbest thread I have seen on this board.
this exact thread was also created last season ... and basically received with the same amount of sarcasm and insults.
Old 11-08-2005   #80
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we have too many bad O-linemen on the field. We just need to take a couple of them out of there and get used to only having 3.

Wait....I forgot, we don't have 3 good ones.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read