Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-07-2005   #41
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

gotta love that logic.. get rid of DD because we dont pass enough when we is in the game.

Hell.. I say we cut Bradford, Gaffney, Armstrong, and Mathis.. cause Johnson doesnt get the ball enough. Then we should cut all of our Olinemen except Pitts..cause he is our best blocker anyway. While we are at it.. lets cut Dunta Robinson cause no one throws his way.. and that puts too much pressure on our other CBs.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005   #42
brickmantexanfan
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to brickmantexanfan Send a message via Yahoo to brickmantexanfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Pen 1
I say we bench or trade DD, whenever he is in the game we have no passing game. I also noticed this last year. When DD is in the game Carr looks for aj and dumpes the ball off to DD. We are better off without DD.

I say you Take another Dose of crazy pills then take 2 weeks off,then come back and quit!

DD has been most of our offense this year,or have you been to busy looking throught the bottom of the prescription bottle?I have been on the DD Train from the start and not backing down now.
Old 11-07-2005   #43
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 2837 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
gotta love that logic.. get rid of DD because we dont pass enough when we is in the game.

Hell.. I say we cut Bradford, Gaffney, Armstrong, and Mathis.. cause Johnson doesnt get the ball enough. Then we should cut all of our Olinemen except Pitts..cause he is our best blocker anyway. While we are at it.. lets cut Dunta Robinson cause no one throws his way.. and that puts too much pressure on our other CBs.
<cleaning coffee of my screen>

Now that WAS funny!

When will people understand that when DD is in the game, the defense keys on him because he 60% of the offense. It is the coaches fault for not calling the right plays, not the player's fault for doing so well.

This is not higher math here.
Old 11-07-2005   #44
NativeJPR
Rookie

UN-FRICKING-BELIEVEABLE............The ONLY people on this team that need to be benched are the ENTIRE coaching staff............THEY are the ones that can't organize the talent on this team and get them working together to make it appear someone knows what the hell is going on. DON'T blame any one player for the TEXANS poor showing thus far.....IT ALL FALLS ON THE COACHES
NativeJPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005   #45
Bull Pen 1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1620 Bull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not saying it's DD fault, I'm just saying we play better withiut him. As the gr8 fan said he is Carr's cruch. So he hurts the team, get him out of there.
Bull Pen 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005   #46
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 11712 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid

No, no, no... you have it backwards. We need to get RID of the crutches to improve the others - to force them into improving vs. proving their worth as our top players have done.

So you would need to drop DD, DRob, AJ, Pitts, and might as well throw in Carr. That way, all the others would step up their game.

Hmm.... I wonder who we get rid of to step up the coaches....
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005   #47
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I often wondered what speaking in tongues meant. But thanks to this thread I have a snapshot that I can add to my mental rolodex.
Old 11-07-2005   #48
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 666 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So you would need to drop DD, DRob, AJ, Pitts, and might as well throw in Carr.
take Carr out of that sentence, because he is the one still hobbling around on the DD crutch. But yeah, we beat Cleveland without AJ, and the WR's played a better game, except Bradford so fire him, and if we dropped DRob, then we would see the REAL Philip Buchanan I am sure, the Showtime version. Pitts hasn't taken a game off since he got here, so he definitely needs a rest. The O-line would definitely have to step up.

But this thread is about DD and how he needs to sit down so the Texans and especially Carr can step and concentrate and bring their 'A game'. When DD is not in the game Carr's stats are much better, his WR's get the ball more, the entire game is improved. The stats show it, clearly. Sit him down and lets get the Texans back on the winning track again.
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005   #49
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan
When DD is not in the game Carr's stats are much better, his WR's get the ball more, the entire game is improved. The stats show it, clearly.
DD was the primary RB in every game Carr had over 250 yds of passing in last year and the 245 yd day, but yeah the stats show it clearly.

Is there are argument that something needs to change from over dependence on DD? Sure, but the solution isn't sitting or trading a gigantic piece fo the offense. The solution to DD dumps, if it is a problem, is keeping DD in to pass protect or releasing the TE's into safety valve work and telling Carr to look for them and not DD.

Fact is this whole issue is overstated--in the last three games, DD has caught 2, 1 and 2 passes (he is averaging 3.25 receptions per game)--that is obviously not the difference in the passing game from yesterday when Wells caught 4 and Morency caught 1.
Old 11-07-2005   #50
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

This is the dumbest thread I have seen on this board.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005   #51
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle

stick around awhile ..
Old 11-07-2005   #52
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3366 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have seen worse, but this thread is pretty bad. The thought of trading or benching our starting RB because he makes our passing game suffer is nuts. However, I would be in favor of rotating our RB's.
Old 11-07-2005   #53
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
I have seen worse, but this thread is pretty bad. The thought of trading or benching our starting RB because he makes our passing game suffer is nuts. However, I would be in favor of rotating our RB's.
I definitely agree. Many starting RBs in the league this year have had injuries because they are carrying the ball too much. Cadillac had four wonderful games early on and then had to sit out a couple weeks. Most of these aren't injuries from a specific play, it's just from wearing them out too much. They said yesterday that Davis is leading the NFL in % of team's total offense, which is commendable for him but we need to give him a break every now and then. Either run something like the Chiefs where Priest goes for two possessions and then sits one out or else just bring him out once every 3-5 plays. He can't keep getting 25-30 carries and 5 catches a game and expect to be healthy for very long. The one positive about him missing yesterday is it showed what we can do when we throw the ball more, and I'd like to see that with Davis coming out of the backfield rather than Wells and then have Johnson, Gaffney, Mathis, and Armstrong at WRs. Bradford had a pretty good game until that last muffed catch but he has been dropping too many balls and I'd like to see us spread the defense more with Mathis' speed in there, then have the sure hands of Gaffney and Armstrong and the overall talent of AJ together on the field for once.
Old 11-07-2005   #54
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3366 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I definitely agree. Many starting RBs in the league this year have had injuries because they are carrying the ball too much. Cadillac had four wonderful games early on and then had to sit out a couple weeks. Most of these aren't injuries from a specific play, it's just from wearing them out too much. They said yesterday that Davis is leading the NFL in % of team's total offense, which is commendable for him but we need to give him a break every now and then. Either run something like the Chiefs where Priest goes for two possessions and then sits one out or else just bring him out once every 3-5 plays. He can't keep getting 25-30 carries and 5 catches a game and expect to be healthy for very long. The one positive about him missing yesterday is it showed what we can do when we throw the ball more, and I'd like to see that with Davis coming out of the backfield rather than Wells and then have Johnson, Gaffney, Mathis, and Armstrong at WRs. Bradford had a pretty good game until that last muffed catch but he has been dropping too many balls and I'd like to see us spread the defense more with Mathis' speed in there, then have the sure hands of Gaffney and Armstrong and the overall talent of AJ together on the field for once.
Nice post. Also with rotating our RB's, we could go from a quick cutting RB (DD and Morency), to more of a pounding RB (Wells) and change the pace a bit during a game. The announcers yesterday kept talking about how much of a big bruising RB Wells is, but when I think of a big bruising RB first thing I think of is Jerome Bettis. I guess though compared to DD and Morency Wells is a "bruising" RB. Wells has impressed me all season but really impressed me yesterday. He didn't do anything out of this world, but the effort he gave on his TD run was awesome. I think our RB stable is becoming one of the brighter spots of the team.
Old 11-07-2005   #55
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, the Lions should have benched or traded Barry Sanders, too.

That guy tore it up...but he kept them from being EXPLOSIVE.

Give me a break here.

We've got an o line that is inconsistent in pass blocking, thus limiting our QB who I think we are all beginning to have doubts about at this point, and DD is the only thing we have in terms of consistent productivity from one week to the next.

The stats show DD accounts for (drum roll please) approximately 50% of our TOTAL offensive production. If anything, he needs to get paid a bonus each Sunday for keeping us from getting skunked each week. He keeps our weak defense rested by churning out about 3 yards per carry (unless we do that stupid run audible), he breaks tackles and keeps the chains moving, and it ain't his fault if our o line and our QB end a good drive with either a sack, a fumble by Carr, or Carr throwing it into the stands/running into sacks/running out of bounds when Carr DOES have time.

DD and Dunta Robinson are probably the most purely talented individuals on our team, and their desire exceeds Carr, as well. Period.

DD was skipped by a lot of teams in the draft. He was supposed to be a third down back, and look at what he's accomplished.

That's about the height of ignorance to post something like this. If the guy plays badly or acquires a bad attitude, please go ahead and rip him. But to lay this sort of thing at his feet, saying that him being out of the game opens up the offense, is absurd. Boredom has set in on the mesage boards, and now we're inventing new people to blame.

We played a zombie-entranced Jags team the first half, and then those guys came out and HANDLED us with ease in the second half. Their defense is weak, and without a fluke missed-tackle situation on the Bradford TD...we'd have lost by 2 TDs.

To clarify:

That's about the height of ignorance to post something like this. If the guy plays badly or acquires a bad attitude, please go ahead and rip him. But to lay this sort of thing at his feet, saying that him being out of the game opens up the offense, is absurd. Boredom has set in on the mesage boards, and now we're inventing new people to blame.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005   #56
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
DD and Dunta Robinson are probably the most purely talented individuals on our team, and their desire exceeds Carr, as well. Period.
I agree that Domanick and Dunta are two of our best players but I would not say their desire exceeds Carr's, Carr has shown as much if not more desire to win than anyone else on the team.

Last edited by MorKnolle; 11-07-2005 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-07-2005   #57
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Jaaaaaannnnnnee, get me off this crazy thing!
Old 11-07-2005   #58
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
I agree that Domanick and Dunta are two of our best players but I would not say their desire exceeds Carr's.
Well I will say it...

DD is a back up RB at best. We will draft R Bush and the running game will open up. DD does NOT have the skills it takes to be a 1500+ yd runner a year. He has a big heart, but lacks in some skills. He is not "one of the best" players on the team by any means....
Old 11-07-2005   #59
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 711 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
Yeah, the Lions should have benched or traded Barry Sanders, too.

That guy tore it up...but he kept them from being EXPLOSIVE.

Give me a break here.
Sorry man, the DD to Barry Sanders comparison just isn't working for me. They aren't the same kind of player, not even close. DD has nice stats because of an over-reliance by the coaches and now Carr on the dump offs. This isn't DDs fault but we need a more diversified offense if we're ever going to get anywhere. This means less of the offense through DD. If he was such a dynamic player, that after getting 50-60% of the offense we probably probably shouldn't be 1-7 right now.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005   #60
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 61262 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBred_Texan
Well I will say it...

DD is a back up RB at best. We will draft R Bush and the running game will open up. DD does NOT have the skills it takes to be a 1500+ yd runner a year. He has a big heart, but lacks in some skills. He is not "one of the best" players on the team by any means....
DomDavis is the one player on the team that is getting the most of his physical talent. In that sense, he is one the handful of the best players on the team. As pure physical talent, he is a borderline starter, but he is productive partly because of the system, moreso because of that heart you mentioned.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read