Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-06-2005   #1
kenneth24
Veteran

Default Can Armstrong see the field?

Im sure this has been talked about before but im new here so i thought i would get my opinon out there!

Bradford actually didn't play too badly this week but he didnt make the catch in a clutch situation which is better than most weeks when he can't make the catch at all. Armstrong is like Cris Carter, "All he does is catch touchdowns!" well, except for the touchdowns part! But maybe if he got a decent chance to contribute. Mark Vandermeer on 610 last week was asked by a caller why doesn't Armstrong play more than Bradford because at least he catches the ball and Mark responded with both Armstrong and Bradford both run bad routes but Bradford has more speed. I wonder if this is how the coaching staff feels--speed does you no good if you can't catch the ball! Armstrong has great hands and balance and would keep the chains moving!
kenneth24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005   #2
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

maybe somebody knows the skinny on why he doesn't see the field more ....
Old 11-06-2005   #3
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Cause the coaches are inept at choosing what player goes where.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005   #4
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know the skinny but unless something changes, I have a feeling that Armstrong will replace Gaffney next season, after Gaffney leaves as a UFA, and Mathis will replace Bradford.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005   #5
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm
maybe somebody knows the skinny on why he doesn't see the field more ....
but armstrong does see the field, in fact, he msut have a pretty good view of it from the bench.
Old 11-07-2005   #6
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Armstrong is the same type of receiver as Gaffney and I guess the coaches want to have a different look out there with a faster guy like Bradford, at least when Andre was hurt. I would love to see Gaffney and Armstrong out there together or at least subbing in and out for each other if one gets tired, but either way we don't tend to use formations with more than two WRs for much of the game and Johnson and Gaffney should be the two out there for those, and I guess the coaches would rather have more speed than good hands on three-WR sets.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 132014 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Armstrong doesn't run as good a route as Gaffney does and I don't think he is near as good as Gaff. He didn't get the ball much when AJ was out. He has great hands though...I'll give him that much. I don't think he is a guy who will ever start in this league...a wr3 perhaps, but I think that is his upside.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-07-2005   #8
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Armstrong doesn't run as good a route as Gaffney does and I don't think he is near as good as Gaff. He didn't get the ball much when AJ was out. He has great hands though...I'll give him that much. I don't think he is a guy who will ever start in this league...a wr3 perhaps, but I think that is his upside.
I agree, Armstrong is slower and runs worse routes than Gaffney but he has great hands. His main function, until he improves his routes and all that, should be on definite passing situations like third-and-longs where you need a guy that you know will make a catch if you throw it to him, but outside of that he shouldn't play above AJ or Gaff. Hopefully if Mathis recovers we will see him more in three WR sets.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 269149 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
I don't know the skinny but unless something changes, I have a feeling that Armstrong will replace Gaffney next season, after Gaffney leaves as a UFA, and Mathis will replace Bradford.
If they were going to do that wouldn't they get Armstrong some playing time and make sure he can fully replace Gaffney? Wait, nevermind--just asked if this management staff is rational.
Old 11-07-2005   #10
kenneth24
Veteran

Armstrong as a 3rd WR is fine with me but why doesn't he see time over Bradford. Should be AJ, Gaf and Armstrong in a 3-wide formation. If a guy can get open bc of his speed is great, but it does you no good if you are going to drop the ball 75% of the time. Side note: Last week Gaf caught a ball over the middle on a 3rd down and everybody raved about what a great catch it was. Am i the only one who saw the ball coming out and the defender knocked the ball back into him, otherwise it would have been another Carr pass that was dropped? Still think Gaf is the no. 2 guy but shows how bad the hands are on this team!
Old 11-07-2005   #11
TexansStill
Rookie

Default It is Political.

Believe me it is Political. Heard it straight from the horses mouth.
Old 11-07-2005   #12
SESupergenius

Gaffney doesn't have the speed to beat anyone down field, this is why he is only going to be a good 3 or 4th receiver. Put him most other teams and tell me objectively where he would stand in the depth chart. Certainly not a #2. Mathis just so happend to be out and Bradford in next in line to run the long plays. We can keep throwing under all day but when we start to get into the redzone the defense gets tighter and these short routes are not as effective. We couldn't get 1 yard rushing on a 3rd and 1 for crying out loud.
Old 11-07-2005   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 132014 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
Gaffney doesn't have the speed to beat anyone down field, this is why he is only going to be a good 3 or 4th receiver. Put him most other teams and tell me objectively where he would stand in the depth chart. Certainly not a #2. Mathis just so happend to be out and Bradford in next in line to run the long plays. We can keep throwing under all day but when we start to get into the redzone the defense gets tighter and these short routes are not as effective. We couldn't get 1 yard rushing on a 3rd and 1 for crying out loud.
He is a Keenan McCardell clone. Guys like Fred Biletnikoff, Steve Largent and Art Monk have a similar game as well...good hands, middle of the field first down possession guys. I guess these guys will never amount to much either huh?

Old 11-07-2005   #14
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansStill
Believe me it is Political. Heard it straight from the horses mouth.
OK, I'll bite. How is this political? This is a serious question from a person who has absolutely no clue.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005   #15
SESupergenius

Quote:
He is a Keenan McCardell clone. Guys like Fred Biletnikoff, Steve Largent and Art Monk have a similar game as well...good hands, middle of the field first down possession guys. I guess these guys will never amount to much either huh?
Gaffney is not McCardell nor Hall of Famers Biletnikoff or Largent. You are really stretching. I guess our line has equivalents of Allen and Stepnoski.
Gaffney can run his 1 move routes efficiently, but will not "beat" a player too often.
Old 11-07-2005   #16
kenneth24
Veteran

I think Armstrong would be more of a clone than Gaf simply because he does have better hands!
Old 11-13-2005   #17
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Another solid showing from Armstrong. Whatever the knock is on him, the bottom line is this. Every time he gets on the field, he makes good plays. I have seen him make tough catches constantly. Has anyone ever seen him drop a pass, ever? The guy is money, and I wish he would get more playing time.

Edit: Also, Carr seems to have alot of confidence in him, because he sure does throw to him alot when he's in there.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2110
Another solid showing from Armstrong. Whatever the knock is on him, the bottom line is this. Every time he gets on the field, he makes good plays. I have seen him make tough catches constantly. Has anyone ever seen him drop a pass, ever? The guy is money, and I wish he would get more playing time.

Edit: Also, Carr seems to have alot of confidence in him, because he sure does throw to him alot when he's in there.
He has great hands but doesn't run good routes - that's his knock.

Old 11-13-2005   #19
illspawn
Rookie

I value any player on this team that can catch the ball that is thrown to him bad route or not. With a person that is fast but can't catch just makes it a 40 yard dash and not football.
illspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #20
kenneth24
Veteran

Quote:
He has great hands but doesn't run good routes - that's his knock.
Funny because the knock on Bradford is he runs bad routes and doesn't have good hands! I guess 2 wrongs make a right?!?!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read