Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-25-2004   #41
saintarnold
Rookie

Default Ricky

More power to him if he can afford to do it. Ricky is legend up here in Austin, and he can do whatever the heck he wants to. At least he wasn't on the Texans-and quit!
Old 07-25-2004   #42
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

Why the sudden urge to travel to Asia?... voices in his head calling?
I also think he is one strange cat.
What bad timing. Dave Wannstedt will be pulling all of his hair out now!
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004   #43
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Carr bomb,

Ricky Williams is not a bust. He was highly productive for 5 NFL years. Bust refer to people who could not get the job done. Ricky Williams could play in the NFL, but does not want to play in the NFL.

H-town,

I have no problem with williams walking away. Football is not a summer job tearing tickets a movie theater where if you not into it really does not matter. Would hate to see that guy not protect himself or another player because he is not wanting to be there.

From a fantasy standpoint the team also has Sammy Morris. Mack is out there as is the guy who started for the Lions in 2002 and was injured last year. See lots of quality choices.

Honestly, I thought the Dolphins were a 3rd or 4th place team in that division before Williams, now I think it would be a miracle if they finished 7 and 9 or better. If Wanny goes his usual 9-7 or 10-6 borderline playoff in or out he will deserve to keep his job.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004   #44
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Ricky was always a little "out there." This doesn't surprise me at all.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004   #45
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy
Default Free as a bird: Williams quits on his team for road less traveled

Quote:
They will applaud him and praise the fact that he walked away from the NFL on his terms, supposedly setting himself free from the shackles of fame -- and, let's not forget, fortune.

They will say Ricky Williams understands what life is all about, that football is just a game and not something all that important in a world where soldiers are being blown up on a regular basis in Iraq and starvation is ravaging countries throughout the world.

But some 24-year-old running back, just hoping for a chance to play in the NFL for one week, will pop on his TV Sunday morning and wake up to the news that Williams, a running back from the Miami Dolphins, is retiring and just get a sick feeling in his stomach.

How could he?

That player would do anything for one carry, and yet Williams is walking away a starting job and millions to be, in his words, free.

Williams notified the Dolphins that he is retiring from the NFL Friday, according to the Miami Herald. That newspaper would know since their lead columnist, the respected and well-read Dan Le Batard, is one of the few allowed in Williams' inner circle and the guy who reported the story Saturday.

Getting into that inner circle is said to be like breaking into the White House at midnight, but it also begs this question: Why would you want in?

If you looked up different in the NFL dictionary, Williams' picture would be next to the word. He is an enigma, a hard-running back who talked in a whisper and somehow seemed as if he was curling up in a fetal position every time someone stepped near his locker or asked to speak with him -- even after his much-publicized bout with a social disorder and the medical treatment he received for it.

What many NFL linebackers could not do, bring him to his knees, the sight of a camera or a writer invading his space often did.

Weirdo is a term some of his ex-teammates and coaches used when his name was brought up -- and that will be even more so now.

In telling the Herald why he is retiring, Williams said, "The people in Jamaica, living in these little tin shacks, they were the happiest people I've ever seen. This is an opportunity to be a real role model. Everyone wants freedom. Human beings aren't supposed to be controlled and told what to do. They're supposed to be given direction and a path. Don't tell me what I can and can't do."

Two things about that quote: Any Jamaican living in a shack who wouldn't trade places with Williams in an instant has been imbibing in too much of Bob Marley's favorite leaf. The second thing is that we're all told what we can and can't do. It's called laws and bosses and wives and parents.

The NFL said Williams couldn't smoke marijuana, so he reportedly did what he had to do to pass the tests -- drinking a masking agent, according to the Herald -- but he failed a test in 2002 and was facing a fine pending an appeal of a failed test late last season.

Now he is free to roll as many fat spliffs as he wants, provided the law doesn't find him. It is illegal, big guy. One more thing, Ricky: It takes green to buy the green, and leaving millions of salary behind isn't exactly a way to get the good stuff.

Williams told the Herald the only people who he has to be accountable to are his three kids. I bet they'll love it years from now when their friends tell them how their daddy walked away from NFL millions to smoke weed and hang out in tin shacks.

Lunacy.

But you can bet Williams will be praised in certain circles for standing up for his beliefs, not catering to the wants of others.

Free, baby.

Jim Brown, Barry Sanders and Robert Smith are all former NFL running backs who walked away from the game with plenty left to give. All three could be considered eccentric to some degree. Williams is friendly with Brown and he also was said to have had a recent conversation with Smith.

Oh, to be a fly on the wall to hear that one, two we're-smarter-than-the-rest-of-you-and-don't-need-this-mindless-game men trying to understand how so many other players put their lives into playing football.

Williams is also selfish. Making this kind of decision a week before the Dolphins were to open training camp makes anything Terrell Owens did seem trivial. This is a quitter, a guy who bailed on his teammates as they were readying to make a Super Bowl push. That's the ultimate insult.

Indications are that Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt is furious. Wouldn't you be? His job is on the line and suddenly his star running back decides he'd rather sit in a circle with his legs crossed listening to poetry and clicking his fingers at every line he likes?

The Dolphins tailored their offense to Williams and now he runs over them as if they were a seven-year old trying to tackle his big butt. Miami's best option is to play Travis Minor, a fourth-year player from Florida State, who is little more than a third-down back.

Heck, if Williams had made his decision a couple of days earlier the Dolphins could have made a run at Eddie George. But he couldn't even do that for them to maybe make it a little easier.

Williams had three years left on his contract, with base salaries of $3.75 million in 2004, $3.74 million in 2005 and $3.5 million in 2006. The contract also included incentives that could have added more money, so Williams is walking away from $10 to $12 million.

But look at the bright side: At least now he's free. No more being told what plays to run. No more being forced to deal with the media and the spotlight and the constant adulation from fans. Wouldn't you walk away from $10 million and never having to make a reservation for a restaurant table in South Beach, with a bevy of models eyeing your every move to be free of a game that gave you the chance to be free?

As one of Williams' former coaches said recently, "He's as weird as they come."

Ricky W means Ricky Weirdo.

But at least he's free.

Free to see the world.

Free to do what he wants.

Free to put this mindless game away for good.

You can bet there's a young running back somewhere shaking his head wondering how Williams could give this all away and he can't even get a chance. Wasting God's gifts is a sad thing, but it's even more troubling to those who didn't quite get the full compliment, say a runner who might be a half a step slow or a tad too small.

Williams had it all, and now he's throwing it all away.

Is that really something that should be applauded?
nice article from Pete Prisco
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7523844

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004   #46
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

I love how fans call him selfish. In reality they are the selfish ones. Why force someone to do something they are obviously, (or not obviously) not happy doing. Football is no joke and if you heart is not in it, why continue? for fans?

Of course now every year for the next half decade we will hear of teams trying to court him and coax him out of retirement.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004   #47
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

Also calling him a bust, please a bust is someone who can't play.

Ricky will be getting calls from the NFL for the next 5 years to try and get him to unretire.

A dissapointment? maybe by a fans perspective. Most running backs careers start to spiral down at around 30 years old. He left a couple years early.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-25-2004   #48
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry Pete Prisco, but a free life is about doing what you have a desire to do, not what you the most talent at doing. Once a person is given a gift it is his to use as he pleases even if others don't like it.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004   #49
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

this would be a time for miami to call up st. louis...and try to find a way to trade for steven jackson...i know he was st. louis's number one but they don't need him and he's already upset people there by not showing up...a trade to miami for next year's number one and number three sounds like a good trade
Old 07-25-2004   #50
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

It's an interesting article, but I have to totally disagree. Yes Ricky had awful timing, and he single handedly destroyed the Dolphins. No Ricky isn't the Dahli Lama or any other spiritual being on another level than the rest of us. But the main point here is to realize that football is just a game. With all the drama and storylines that the media puts into it sometimes magnifies it to a point where people see it as more than just a game. And with all due respect who is Pete Prisco to determine what the man's perception of freedom is? I can absolutely understand why some fans would be outraged, but they have to realize that these players are still human beings, and are still entitled to the same rights as we enjoy. One of those many rights is to follow your heart's desire. Perhaps for Ricky its taking photos in Asia, or perhaps its something else. Either way its within his rights to pursue that dream.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004   #51
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
this would be a time for miami to call up st. louis...and try to find a way to trade for steven jackson...i know he was st. louis's number one but they don't need him and he's already upset people there by not showing up...a trade to miami for next year's number one and number three sounds like a good trade
The Rams arent trading Jackson for a couple reasons: 1) Faulk is old and missed half of last season and Jackson would be a great replacement 2) Faulk could retire after this season or the next and Jackson would be ready to go 3) If the Dolphins get Jackson the pick would be in the mid 20s so the Rams couldnt get someone to replace Faulk that is has good as Jackson

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004   #52
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

I love Ricky Williams. Have for a long time. I was thrilled when he was traded to the Dolphins because I can't stand the Saints coach and I thought that it was a bad fit, even when Ditka was there. I loved that he and Priest were tearing up the league at the same time. I enjoy that he is so odd.

With that said, for someone who just a month ago was cheerleading his teammates about dedication and focus, this is REALLY odd. I understand about the drug tests. But the guy sounds like someone who went on summer vacation and just doesn't want to go back to school.

I'm all for free spirits and doing what's right for yourself, but when you make a commitment, you make it. I just graduated two months ago, and my grades tanked terribly my last semester because I was trying to graduate and trying to finish my job at the same time. I wanted to quit my job, but I made a three-year commitment and would have never left my boss in the lurch. Yes, we have the right to be free, but we also have responsibilities in life. And his job is like any. There's a right time and a wrong time to walk away. This was the wrong time.

I hope Dave can talk him out of it. Or I at least hope Ricky can show up at Dave's office and have a face-to-face talk. This is incredibly irresponsible.

Last edited by Tulip; 07-25-2004 at 11:51 AM.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004   #53
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
2004 Dolphins look an awful lot like an expansion team
The 2003 Dolphins looked an awful lot like an expansion team too when the Texans beat them in Week 1.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004   #54
bad
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 bad is on the Pro-Bowl ballotbad is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

If Ricky leaving (I'm telling ya, he's going to Amsterdam) means Wannstedt is leaving, then Ricky could be doing the Dolphins a big favor in the long term.

The only times I've previously visited the Dolphins message board were before and after their loss to the Texans last year. Both times I came away impressed with the knowledge and attitude of their fan base. Today I'm seeing more of the same. Day 1 and some of them are already past Stage 1, which is denial.
Quote:
We ALL KNEW Ricky was a risk when we brought him in. We should feel fortunate that we got 2 great years out of the guy. He came here he ran hard, he produced he did what was asked of him for AS LONG AS HE WANTED TO.

I keep hearing this "responsiblity" crap. Just what exactly does he owe us or our organization? How is he "responsible" for anything but his own life? This team banked on him, paid a pretty penny to bring him in, THEY built the team around HIM, not the other way around. The FO misplaced their trust on a player that was a gamble in the beginning and now we all have to pay a price for it. They built the team around ricky, something he never asked for. He never asked for more carries..hell he was happy with Minor as the 3rd round back. The FO rested on it's laurels and tried to have him carry the team. Instead of investing heavily in potent offensive WEAPONS and hungerly pursuing a franchise QB over the last few years. THEY banked on Ricky. I think Feeley has what it takes but i severly question his effectiveness without Ricky's running game. Something that would not be a problem had they secured a franchise QB BEFORE Marino retired. Same damn story as when Dan retired. The FO built the team around ONE guy never planning for the future and they scrammbled to fix it when he left. THEIR problem not his.

Ricky is a rich man, he doesn't owe us a damn thing. "we embraced him, we loved him"....well if Ricky ever did say something right it was that he was figuing out who his TRUE fans were. It's not the fairweather fans that stand by a player when he's good and then push him out the door as he approaches old age. The fact is Ricky has given WAY more to this franchise than they've given back. He's carried it for two years, HE has been the franchise player selling thousands of tickets just to see him, selling merchandise and bringing new fans to the team (those fans will leave now btw but i'll still be here). He's given them their due, now let him take his. "but people paid money to see him play this year" yeah, obviously they did so in effect he's sold THREE years worth of tickets while only taking 2 years in salary. He doesn't owe those fans a thing, he could be sick, injured, or suspended and not play those games. Fans that buy tickets to see a single player rather than a game are foolish to do so in the first place.

people are taking this WAY too damn personally. He made a PERSONAL decision to leave the GAME of football. That's it, he's a player that left a GAME. We knew he was different so just let him be. He doesn't like the spotlight yet he stood in it for a few years for us. If anything WE owe HIM the understanding to let him walk. And YES it is bad timing and he will be sorely missed. but I'm not going to get Rabidly made and slew his name. This is obviously something that came out after his trip to Australia. Do you people that say "I give 2 weeks notice" REALLY think that 2 weeks notice would have made a difference? We could have had over the hill Eddie George...no thanks. We have Minor, we'll make do and rebuild. Let him leave and wish him luck.
I've never been a Dolphins fan, but I may be becoming a Dolphins fan fan.

One is left to wonder how the Jags fans would react if Fred Taylor suddenly decided to join the Peace Corps.
bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004   #55
jhawktx
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquescas
A dissapointment? maybe by a fans perspective. y.
How about from his teammates' perspective. If he was going to do this he should have done it in January so the Dolphins would have had time to go to plan B. Kinda tough to do in late July. My guess is his teammates are not going to throw a party for him.
jhawktx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004   #56
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Some say Ricky marches to a different drummer, but to quote a writer "He not only marches to a different drummer, he marches to a completly different philarmonic orchestra!". _V_ touched on what I think is the real underlying reason. He has stated that people should not be told what to do (ie. Obey Laws) and so he wants to go and do weed as much as he wants to and watch sunsets or what ever. To much money, to little sense of responsibility and commitment, basically it is a thing that someone who has never grown up and accepts responsibility does.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004   #57
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Well, Ricky tested positive back in May for using weed, and would have been fined at the least. By retiring, I think he avoids that fine, but possibly also frees himself to stay out for a year or two and then come back to sign with the team he wants.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004   #58
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Dolphins' best approach, though, is to try to talk Williams out of retirement or force his hand financially.

When the Dolphins acquired Williams in a trade from the Saints, they did pick up the contract and the right to sue him if he quits early. The Saints gave him an initial signing bonus of $8.843 million, and even though the Dolphins didn't have to pay the Saints for a portion of the bonus, they do have the ability to sue for him to fulfill the contract.

If successful, the Dolphins would get a $3.3 million repayment for failure to perform. Williams is signed through 2006 and would owe the Dolphins three years.
the article at ESPN.com
If I were the 'Fins, I'd be suing him. If he wanted to quit, fine, but this is a business and there are consequences for being a quitter. If he had at least told Wannstedt a few months ago that he was considering it, that wouldve been something. But to be pondering this for so long and then to surprise your head coach and whole team a week before training camp is ridiculous...
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004   #59
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds like someone needs a running back really bad to me. I wonder if the Dolphins would be interested in Tony Hollings for a 1?

Idle curiosity really. I don't want to see Tony go anywhere just yet but I'd be tempted if they came calling in deperation.

Also I wonder if this means Stacy Mack might get another chance to try and prove he's a full time running back. If he's healthy now and still out there then the Dolphins might take a look at him.
Old 07-25-2004   #60
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, Mack will probably be getting a call this week. He seems to be about the only back out there that's under thirty that's available.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read