Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-04-2005   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mr. Wendy's Dave Thomas

Would anyone argue if the Texans drafted Dave Thomas the TE from Texas?

I don't know what his blocking skills are like but that kid has glue for hands and knows how to get open is zone coverages. I like the way he makes yards after the catch. He is pretty athletic.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure if I'd draft him but why not invite him to camp for a tryout? I don't see the potential for him to excel at the next level, seems like special teams fodder. If the Texans want to take a stab at a latter rd. TE VA TECH has a decent prospect in Jeff King who is 6-5 253 excells at blocking and has good hands. but I do like Wendys Texas double cheesburger with extra pickles
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

So far as TEs go I got Dave Thomas, the big kid from Georgia and the tall kid from UCLA. I guess I will be watching this VA Tech kid tomorrow.

Dave Thomas strikes me as a Jason Witten type.
Old 11-05-2005   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Jason Witten had great size coming out of Tennessee, similar to Jeff King @ 6'5" and even heavier @ 265lbs. you can't under estimate tools when talking prospects, its very competitive to make roster cuts in the NFL. they both played defense in high school, that is a fairly common thread amongst TE's since they are physical athletic specimans, the difference when moving to the NFL is you need the size to block 260lb-330lb DT'S & DE'S, enough speed to stretch the defense with the hands of a WR and ability to run clean crisp routes making yourself available for the QB to easily locate.
Old 11-05-2005   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Thomas is not an ideal size for a TE. He is an inch or so taller than Jon Wells but no heavier. He is more of an H-back type imo

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

just telling it like it is, I wish the Texans had drafted Heath Miller. He represents the benchmark weight 255 & height 6'5" throw in Jason Witten 265/6'5" and you get the picture. watch Jeff King tonight when VA TECH plays Miami he is also 6'5" 255 & excellent blocking TE that can catch the Vic outlet
Old 11-05-2005   #7
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

i wish they had a solid tight end so we could have one less thing to worry about....on a side note, i cracked the 500 post barrier! i expected a bit more fanfare though....

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-05-2005   #8
Str8tupg42k1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07
, i cracked the 500 post barrier! i expected a bit more fanfare though....

watch what you say or you might get suspended indefinitely (sp) from this board. i.e. T.O.

J/K
Str8tupg42k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005   #9
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

lol...glad somebody caught the reference!

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005   #10
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great One
He is 6'3", 250(depending on the website). Antonio Gates is 6'4", 260. L.J. Smith is 6'3", 258. Kellen Winslow (who everyone went crazy over) is 6'3", 250. Marcus Pollard is 6'3", 247.

So he may not be as big as some TEs in the NFL, I don't know that I would call him undersized (unless the UT staff has added an inch or two to his height). Especially with the weight. He will gain weight when he starts an NFL weightlifting program.
Wait 'till the combine when his true weight/height come out.

Texas is notorious for skewing the heights and weights of their players (as are most schools).

Best example I can think of is Kalen Thornton. Started at DE for almost 4 years. His senior year, Texas listed him at 6'3, 270. He checked in at the Combine at 6'3, 253. Roy Williams was listed at 6'4, 215 in the Texas media guide. He showed up at 6'2, 212.

If I had to guess, I'd say Thomas is around 6'3, 235...maybe. If he's any heavier than that though, he might lose some effectiveness.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005   #11
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

You wouldnt hear a peep out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #12
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
the difference when moving to the NFL is you need the size to block 260lb-330lb DT'S & DE'S, enough speed to stretch the defense with the hands of a WR and ability to run clean crisp routes making yourself available for the QB to easily locate.
You just summed up Dave Thomas' entire career at UT.

I watched the VA Tech/Miami game and that King guy sucked!
Old 11-08-2005   #13
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not that high on King.
I am high on Pope, though his stock is taking a minimal drop for now.
I am High on Olsen from Miami...doubt he comes out though
I am not high at all on Day from Oregon and would be upset if we took him
I am still undecided on Dave Thomas. He has the tools, but isnt used.
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
I watched the VA Tech/Miami game and that King guy sucked!
the Miami D makes alot of good players suck. the only thing they lack is a skilled QB.

therefore its hard to single out King for one bad game, the first play of the game he split the defenders and ran a straight deep route, less than elite speed even for the TE position, but he was interfered with and the ball flew 5 yards over his head. his strength is his blocking with a OL's body, very thick & not as athletic as you would prefeer in the NFL, but he has good hands, blocks down the field and could make the Texans roster next year and actually upgrade the position. thats not bad mileage for spending a 5th rd pick!
Old 11-08-2005   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
I am not that high on King.
I am high on Pope, though his stock is taking a minimal drop for now.
I am High on Olsen from Miami...doubt he comes out though
I am not high at all on Day from Oregon and would be upset if we took him
I am still undecided on Dave Thomas. He has the tools, but isnt used.
of couse Olsen is a 1st rd pick when he comes out, he is very athletic, good hands, understands the game and can stretch the defense. though I doubt he comes out this year (yes he is eligible thank you very much) he would be the top TE selected and one of those rare can't miss players
Old 11-08-2005   #16
College Texan
Veteran

How about that kid from Notre Dame, he looked good against USC.
College Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #17
metalmike
Veteran

I wouldn't mind grabbing him if he slips to the later rounds. I'm a huge Longhorns fan, but I don't know if he'll be good enough in the pro's to take early on. Hook 'em Horns
metalmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #18
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
of couse Olsen is a 1st rd pick when he comes out, he is very athletic, good hands, understands the game and can stretch the defense. though I doubt he comes out this year (yes he is eligible thank you very much) he would be the top TE selected and one of those rare can't miss players
thats why im holding out hope for next year!!! check out my new texan only mock, then add olsen in 07!!!!!
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read