Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-03-2005   #21
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

RB Domanick Davis (Knee): Probable

he'll be in th ere
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005   #22
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

nothing is wrong with wells...nothing is wrong with morency...and DD is not a second string guy in this league...i look at DD and see a mix between priest holmes and curtis martin...DD just won't last as long as martin has
Old 11-03-2005   #23
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Our Einstein coaching staff would probably start Wells.
Personally, I think Wells has earned the chance to start if DD goes down for a game, given his work ethic and play on ST. However, that doesn't mean much - both backs should see the field and whichever distinguishes himself should receive the bulk of the playtime in future outings. I think, given the history at this position, the coaching staff will do this. That is, after all, how DD came to start, how Hollings has managed to all but totally disappear from the team, and Wells has managed to make the team every year. Obviously, I think Morency is the more talented, but Wells deserves his share of carries. Plus, Wells is probably a better pass blocker at this point than Morency (and probably DD).
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005   #24
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
look at DD rushing average.... and the amount of carries compared to others with about the same amount of yards..... and he was number 11 last year, its guys that are not too far behind him in yardage that have way fewer carries
All has to be taken in context. Was Curtis Martin truly the best RB last year?--nope, but he had a very good run blocking OL and a team that had to be dedicated to the running game. Were Clinton Portis, Willis McGahee and LaDainian Tomlinson no better or even worse than DD last year?--nope, but they struggled adapting to their line or with good blocking (and injury to a degree with LT but the point remains). For some reason people seem to act like OL's don't matter for RB's except when trying to argue Barry Sanders vs. Emmitt Smith.
Old 11-03-2005   #25
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc
Personally, I think Wells has earned the chance to start if DD goes down for a game, given his work ethic and play on ST.
I hate to break this to some people, but sometimes work ethic doesnt work. You dont give a player the nod over a player with less of a work ethic because like you said the best one should play.

We've built this team with hard working individuals and we only have one win to show for it this season. Right now I would much rather have players who dont work in practice but show up on gameday...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005   #26
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
I hate to break this to some people, but sometimes work ethic doesnt work. You dont give a player the nod over a player with less of a work ethic because like you said the best one should play.

We've built this team with hard working individuals and we only have one win to show for it this season. Right now I would much rather have players who dont work in practice but show up on gameday...
I agree with that, actually, and that is probably part of the reason why DD is our starter. Morency has shown nothing to suggest he should unseat Wells to this point. Wells subbed in for DD last year and gained 104 yards with a TD, IIRC. I do think Morency should be given a chance to show that he can unseat Wells, but to this point he hasn't done so, in my mind. Therefore, Wells is the #2 to DD, in my opinion. Hollings is like #7 or 8, after the tackles or somehting
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005   #27
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
yeah also good teams know to build a team threw the offensive and defensive lines...is there a pattern here i'd say yes...morency needs some carries cause we all know DD isn't a 25-30 carry per game back...he's solid when he gets between 20-25 carries...remember last week he started to slow down after he hit the 20+ carry mark...i think we need to do what kansas city is doing...having DD in for two series in a row then either morency or wells the next series...i mean we don't even have to do it to that degree...have DD go in after a couple of plays in that third series or something...either way i don't see what changing it up a little would hurt
I agree, one should not underestimate the power of changing the pace of RB's on a team, must be hell for a defense.
Malloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-04-2005   #28
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
RB Domanick Davis (Knee): Probable

he'll be in th ere
And further down the page you find this:

"Thursday, Nov. 3

Texans changes

RB Domanick Davis (Knee): Questionable"
Old 11-04-2005   #29
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Casserly just said Hollings has never had an opportunity to play here so you really can't evaluate him. Strike #2000 there Cass.
Old 11-04-2005   #30
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Morency is much more the same type of RB that Davis is, so I think if Davis can't go that Morency will likely see the bulk of the carries. Our coaches have shown that they do not want to deviate from their system at all, so bringing in a much bigger, slower RB would not work well with many of the plays we try to run. I think Davis will be able to go and I am hoping he can, but if not I would expect to see Morency get as much if not more carries than Wells, although Wells should get more than normal too.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005   #31
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
Morency is much more the same type of RB that Davis is, so I think if Davis can't go that Morency will likely see the bulk of the carries. Our coaches have shown that they do not want to deviate from their system at all, so bringing in a much bigger, slower RB would not work well with many of the plays we try to run. I think Davis will be able to go and I am hoping he can, but if not I would expect to see Morency get as much if not more carries than Wells, although Wells should get more than normal too.
You seem to be accusing our coaches of having the ability to do something logical. Very interesting take.
Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Casserly just said Hollings has never had an opportunity to play here so you really can't evaluate him. Strike #2000 there Cass.
That was one of the most pathetic comments I've ever heard come out of his mouth.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005   #32
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

If Davis cannot play, Capers said Jonathan Wells and rookie Vernand Morency would share the duties at running back.

chronic
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005   #33
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
That was one of the most pathetic comments I've ever heard come out of his mouth.
my thoughts were along those same lines, although I didn't phrase it as well.....

he has to go
Old 11-04-2005   #34
Malloy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great One
Sounds like a man DESPERATELY trying to save his job to me.
Does it make his statement less true ?
Old 11-04-2005   #35
Htown34s
Veteran

The best thing about this staff is that once they get replaced we're likely to see a significant change for the better.

You could tell from the first game of the year that the coaches have lost the player's respect.
Old 11-04-2005   #36
Malloy
Site Contributor

Quote:
There is a reason Hollings is not on the field. He can't play.
At least not with his team. Trying to grade players is very tough and ones "judgements" are rather subjective. Players deemed "useless" by some teams go on to play well with others, some don't. I'm not trying to make this a coach-talk although they do have some of the fault, I'm just trying to point out that perhaps Hollings would become a damn good player after say, 2 seasons in the drivers seat. Point is, there's just no way of knowing, as with Morency. He may not have shown "potential" during the pre-season, but perhaps if he got more touches he would develop into something really good.

Anywho, with the bad news of DD possibly not playing, I'm delighted in the news that Morency WILL in fact be getting playtime, who knows, he might turn out to be a hell of a player, even though the pre-season shows otherwise
Old 11-04-2005   #37
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i never liked the whole hollings pick up...a second rounder is just too high on a supplimental pick...even a third is too high in my opinion...very few of those guys ever make it to starter on a year to year basis...we could have used that pick in the following draft to pick up another starter...hollings will never develop into what he was supposed to be...the starting RB for this team
Old 11-04-2005   #38
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Looks like the early morning errand run saved my blood pressure from shooting through the roof. I wonder if he had other "pearls of wisdom"

I am assuming John and Lance did not follow with something obvious like "why hasn't he had the opportunity" or "you invested quite a bit Hollings is there no place he fits on the active roster"
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005   #39
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Just reported that Dom Davis didn't practice today per Marc Vandermeer.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005   #40
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
There is a reason Hollings is not on the field. He can't play.
And you know this from what? His averaging more than DD or Wells on his measely 11 regular season rushes last year? I am not claiming he should be starting or anything, just that you can't tell if he is never in the game--exactly what Casserly said, except I don't have the power to put him on the field and they do. That's what made his statement dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
I am assuming John and Lance did not follow with something obvious like "why hasn't he had the opportunity" or "you invested quite a bit Hollings is there no place he fits on the active roster"
Nah--they were too busy trying to put down their badmitton racquets and pick up their JCI to go eat in the restroom with McKinney.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read