Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-03-2005   #21
phan1
All Pro

It's all on the defense to go out and win this game for us really. Everytime we've beaten this team, our defense has always played a really good game. Our offense will do just enough to be able to pull this one out, but it all starts with our defense.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005   #22
jagibelieve
Veteran

Defense wins championships in my opinion. I think in order for you guys to have a chance, your run defense needs a good game.
jagibelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005   #23
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagibelieve
Defense wins championships in my opinion. I think in order for you guys to have a chance, your run defense needs a good game.
True that. Hasn't been a very stout defense against the run so far. Particularly it seems in the first half. They seem to start slow and do better in the second half. Don't have the stats to support that, just a perception on my part.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005   #24
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
True that. Hasn't been a very stout defense against the run so far. Particularly it seems in the first half. They seem to start slow and do better in the second half. Don't have the stats to support that, just a perception on my part.
Looking at the stats now we don't have a very good run defense, but before the Seahawks and Colts games we were in the top half of the league in many rushing defense stats, and I recall putting a post on a thread about our run defense and ate my words a couple days later when Seattle put up 320 rushing yards. Either way, the defense has shown the ability to stop the run at certain points this season and the last couple games our pass defense has applied much better pressure than earlier in the year.

Our special teams needs to continue to keep us in games. Our starting field position over the last two games has been superb because the defense has created some turnovers and because Mathis and the kick return team is awesome.

I think the biggest key to the game is our offense. Our line needs to protect Carr, which they've done better recently, but most importantly our play calling needs to give the offense a chance to succeed. Last week we scored that early TD because A) we called a play with a deep passing route, and B) we threw the ball on something other than a third-and-long. After that we went back to running first and second downs and trying to throw in bad situations on third down and we got nowhere for a while. We should have Andre back and we need to spread the field with more three-receiver sets, and above all, please keep Bradford off the field as much as possible. I re-watched the Browns game last night and he dropped three passes and was used by Bodden after Mathis burned him early, and he was making his first career start. Put Andre, Gaffney, Mathis and/or Armstrong out there, PLEASE
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005   #25
Demon
Rookie

Hey, it's easy. Six field goals = 18 points; hold Jax to two TD's and 1 FG = 17 points.
Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005   #26
stephen1
Veteran

if we can pass less than 10 times this game we will win. we have had success in the past running on jacksonville and should continue to do that. Running 80 percent and passing 20 is our only way to win this game.
stephen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005   #27
jagibelieve
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen1
if we can pass less than 10 times this game we will win. we have had success in the past running on jacksonville and should continue to do that. Running 80 percent and passing 20 is our only way to win this game.
I hate to break it to you, but you will need to pass more than 10 times. Run the ball... that's a different story. If you all can run on us, that will be the key to you wining. I just don't see it happening.
jagibelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read