Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-02-2005   #1
TexansAllTheWayBaby
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 TexansAllTheWayBaby is a Pro BowlerTexansAllTheWayBaby is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via AIM to TexansAllTheWayBaby
Arrow My Keys to Beating Jacksonville

A big divisional mathcup will take place this Sunday in Alltell Stadium located in Jacksonville, Florida. Our Texans will battle the Jaguars in hopes of forming a winning streak, and possibly starting to turn the tables.

The Jaguars are a tough team, and hungry for a victory. Then again, so are our guys. I belive the Texans must do the following in order to have the best possible chance of pulling this one out Sunday:

- Better passing plays on offense. Go deeper to Mathis or Gaffney more often on the play-actions. This will teast Jacksonville's secondary and give us a chance to gather more confidence and momentum.

- Continue to force turnovers on defense. This will setup more oppurtunities for our offense to put alteast some points on the board.

- Solid special teams (hit the field goals, get some solid returns from Mathis).
This will also get momentum going, in addition to obviously setting our offense up with good field position which is critical.

Cheer us on Sunday, it's a big game!

Go Texans!
TexansAllTheWayBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005   #2
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

For the Texans to win, Mathis needs some touches.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005   #3
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I dunno......but I think we'll be OK if we score more points than they do.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005   #4
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansAllTheWayBaby
The Jaguars are a tough team, and hungry for a victory.
Weren't the Jags "hungry for a victory" when the Texans skunked them in Alltel last December? If I remember correctly, a win over the Texans would have put them on the threshold of a playoff berth. And they came out and layed a dinosaur-sized egg.

The Jags should beat the Texans this Sunday. They're a better team. But they've been a better team everytime the Texans have beaten them. My key for the Texans to beat Jacksonville is to show up ready to play. Then watch the Jags self destruct.
Old 11-02-2005   #5
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

The Jags have a different OC and their coaching is better than ours. Our D is very suspect and I think we are going to have some real problems defending against the Jags. In addition I fear their D and what might happen to Carr. I think this is going to be a very difficult game for us.

Mathis continues to be a key along with the possible return of AJ.

Armstrong needs to get some touches along with Gaffny.

Bradford needs to make a wrong turn and miss the game.

The O-line needs to play a lot better than they have.

I would think we are at least a 14 point underdog to this team. Could we win, yes, but I think its unlikely. We need to get out of this game with as few as injuries as possible.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005   #6
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

you can forget the deep pass to anyone, Jags will be all over Carr before he has time for a slow timed long range play to develop.

other than that, I agree totally with Ibar. Especially the Bradford catching the 3 day flu on Saturday and missing the entire game.
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005   #7
samomin
Veteran

Also we need to have a better rush defense otherwise we will be seeing their second and third string RBs at the end of the game.
Old 11-03-2005   #8
touttail
All Pro

Capers says we need to execute!

bobby 119C:brickwall
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005   #9
jagibelieve
Veteran

I think you guys should be hoping to be able to run on us. Forget about passing, just look at what we did to Manning and the Colts. You also better hope that your run defense shows up. Special teams won't win this one for you.
jagibelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005   #10
playoff year please
Veteran

Default Capers keys to beating Jacksonville

Win one of the statistical columns..turnovers..kick return avg..something, that is a win.

My key to beting Jacksonville....score more points.
playoff year please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005   #11
Bull Pen 1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1621 Bull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Bench Carr

Start Ragone
Bull Pen 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005   #12
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Pen 1
Bench Carr

Start Ragone
Carr's record vs. Jax (3-1)
Rag's record vs. Jax (0-1)

Doesn't look like a good idea to me. But then again, I'm not a Jaguars fan.
Old 11-03-2005   #13
rafterticket
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by touttail
Capers says we need to execute!
You're killin' me. I make the same joke about Dommy.

Here is a third for putting Bradford on the wrong plane.
rafterticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005   #14
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

We need to have our weapons on the field - Walker, Babin, AJ and Mathis being healthy would be great, not to mention Wiegert and Wong. If I am not mistaken last week's game was the first we had Walker, Babin and Mathis playing together and it yielded more pressure, TO's and terrific special teams play.

It will be intersting to see what type of results a healthy team would yield. If we had all the parts an 8-8 season would have been a plausible reality.
Old 11-03-2005   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
We need to have our weapons on the field - Walker, Babin, AJ and Mathis being healthy would be great, not to mention Wiegert and Wong. If I am not mistaken last week's game was the first we had Walker, Babin and Mathis playing together and it yielded more pressure, TO's and terrific special teams play.

It will be intersting to see what type of results a healthy team would yield. If we had all the parts an 8-8 season would have been a plausible reality.
I've cringed over and over while the majority of the fans bash Walker and call for the team to cut him over and over when he is obviously (at least to me) our best lineman by far. When he is in the game the offense has got to double him. Single teaming Walker is a mistake that most teams don't make and it frees up someone else to beat a single team somewhere. Nobody can beat one-on-one blocks better than Walker on this team. His sack at the end of the game pretty much forced the Browns to dump any hope of a tie game with a field goal.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005   #16
SESupergenius

I agree, Walker is making his money right now. He's been fired up since being back. I hope this continues as he has a history of being out on sidelines. I say the same thing for Babin, when he comes in he's on fire. The pass rush is there, but we just are not blitzing and our zone coverage is horrendous. I don't know if it;s the play calling or not, but when I see P_Buc slacking off into a zone area and not knowing where the players are, that just bites into me. Our safeties are not playing heads up either, they need to be aware of what the offense is doing. We don't have smart field generals, they are reacting to the pass too much and not putting themselves into positions where they can make the plays.
Old 11-03-2005   #17
SESupergenius

Oh, wait....that was against the Browns. Let's see what he does against the Jags.
Old 11-03-2005   #18
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
We need to have our weapons on the field - Walker, Babin, AJ and Mathis
I can't argue with you about AJ and Mathis: everyone agrees about AJ but
now, out of the blue, Mathis has become our most explosive player and one
of the offense's MVPs. If he can stay healthy, the sky may be the limit.
But Walker - OK he had a good game last week with his return but he's just out of action too much. And a lot of times when he's out there - well, let me just say that Seth Payne is the one D lineman we can count on to give it his all on every play. And Babin is still on probation - if he's healthy again here in his second season, maybe we'll see that huge improvement over his rookie
year that's suppose to come with his conquest of the learning curve on the conversion to OLB. But its not enough to have the potential, still got to deliver on Sundays and get us some sacks.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005   #19
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
I agree, Walker is making his money right now. He's been fired up since being back. I hope this continues as he has a history of being out on sidelines. I say the same thing for Babin, when he comes in he's on fire. The pass rush is there, but we just are not blitzing and our zone coverage is horrendous. I don't know if it;s the play calling or not, but when I see P_Buc slacking off into a zone area and not knowing where the players are, that just bites into me. Our safeties are not playing heads up either, they need to be aware of what the offense is doing. We don't have smart field generals, they are reacting to the pass too much and not putting themselves into positions where they can make the plays.
And Marcus Coleman needs to wrap-up and tackle!!! How many times has he slid down an offensive player like they were a well lubricated fire pole. :brickwall
Hardcore Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005   #20
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

The offense needs to improve and the defense needs an overhaul. The jags are a great team this year. Del Rio is definitely a better coach than Capers. He showed he was willing to take a risk in Byron, and Matt Jones is looking like one of the best products of the '05 Draft. If they don't run over us, they will throw over us.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read