Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-02-2005   #21
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCROD
Before everyone starts jumping on the Ragone bandwagon remember he was the MVP of NFL-EUROPE. You dont exactly send your best there.
Some will argue that NFL-E is just above or equal to college ball, well its not the NFL. Its like sending an 8th grade kid back to 3rd grade, of course he;s going to have success.
My point in the "play Ragone" debates is that Ragone has excelled at every level at which he's played significant time - I'd like to see him get a chance to excel in the NFL with and against first teamers. He's done nothing to show that he wouldn't excel there too.

The main problem is that a team would have to be committed to giving him that chance. It may take him 3-4 games to get comfortable and in sync, and the team and fans would have to be willing to see some regression at first.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005   #22
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Compounded with the fact that people, especially general managers and coaches, have to see him play. His best chance is to be traded to a team that will not be taking a Leinart/Quinn/Young this year, but needs a new QB. As much as I like Ragone, I think he will have a carreer as a backup QB. There are several teams out there that aren't just in need of a QB, they need some depth behind the QB. (Of course, as stated in previous posts, Banks may be a better bet in those cases.)
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005   #23
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
Think about this. If Ragone can't beat out Banks and Banks is as bad as he seems at times then why in the world is Dave Ragone still on this team? For that matter why is Tony Banks still on this team?
You are actually getting my point. Everyone has seen Banks' act before. OK if he only has to close out games or make one maybe two starts then he is fine. Anything more than that and we get reminded as to why he is not a starter in this league.

IMO, if Ragone can't beat out a journeyman like Banks, then he is not very good and probably is not going to push for a starting job anytime soon. Remember this summer between TT ex, Parsons, the "bachelor" and the NFLe MVP QB previous to Ragone, the Texans had all kinds of QBs running thorugh here.

Honestly, I don't really want to see either one them here next year. Those two have had three years. Give me somebody who is going to have Carr looking over his shoulder. No matter, the why (OL, scheme,talent around him) , QBs with Carr's winning percentage and stats should not have 60 starts (end of the year if he is healthy) without some QB controversy surrounding him.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005   #24
humbleone
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
My point in the "play Ragone" debates is that Ragone has excelled at every level at which he's played significant time - I'd like to see him get a chance to excel in the NFL with and against first teamers. He's done nothing to show that he wouldn't excel there too.

The main problem is that a team would have to be committed to giving him that chance. It may take him 3-4 games to get comfortable and in sync, and the team and fans would have to be willing to see some regression at first.
I agree and while this post will probably get me clubed like a baby seal by some, IMO it would be a very interesting/smart move to let DC have only the next 3 games and then his '05 year is over. Why? This would give us the chance to see Ragone for the last 6 (and not because I think he is better than Carr btw) but because those games are with the Rams, Ravens, Titans, Arizona, Jacksonville and the 49ers.

If Ragone could win 2-3 (i.e. Arizona/49ers) of those as our starter, wouldn't that mean his trade value around the '06 draft could be worth something? If not, we have at least kept Carr from getting pounded further, given him a chance to rest vs. regress further until the new coaching staff can come in and finally settle the issue between Ragone and Banks going into next year.
humbleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005   #25
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
I hope that the back-up to Carr next year is a veteran QB that will push Carr and that the team has no qualms putting in the game if Carr is not performing.

I agree with that 100%
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005   #26
jjjezebel
ĦAy, caramba!

Section: Section 116, seats 15-17
Rep Power: 11835 jjjezebel is a quality contributor and well respectedjjjezebel is a quality contributor and well respectedjjjezebel is a quality contributor and well respectedjjjezebel is a quality contributor and well respectedjjjezebel is a quality contributor and well respectedjjjezebel is a quality contributor and well respectedjjjezebel is a quality contributor and well respectedjjjezebel is a quality contributor and well respectedjjjezebel is a quality contributor and well respectedjjjezebel is a quality contributor and well respectedjjjezebel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner

Amen. I for one would love to see what Ragone could do. People say "NFLE is a joke" and "Ragone is too slow", but judging by what Carr is doing this year, Ragone looks like he'd be any improvement to the team.
jjjezebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005   #27
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 116441 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm all for seeing what Ragone has to offer, but think of this; how much do the Texans really care about him? I mean the guy has been on our roster 3 years now, and his picture still isnt avaliable on his player bio: #15 Dave Ragone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read