Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-01-2005   #1
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer
Default Historic Texans

I'm quoting Don Banks from SI. He's talking about the Texans win:

"The Texans aren't special. They have no shot to make history. They're just another bad, one-win team."

The link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...s.shots/2.html

Up for debate: Are we really just another bad, one-win team? I would like to think that if we sucked, we were historically sucky. To put it another way, is there anything to distinguish us from the other loser teams in the NFL?
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005   #2
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

At least we're the only loser team that has a retractable stadium....that seperates us.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005   #3
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I was thinking about this, and I decided I should probably quantify "loser team." First of all, there are only two one-win teams, us and the Packers. That would be too easy, because the difference between the Texans and the Packers is that we have a QB. (You can substitute "they" for "we" if that makes you feel better.) So here are the current loser teams of the NFL (two or less wins):

Texans
Packers
Ain'ts
Vikes
Niners
Dawgs
Ravens
Jets
Old 11-01-2005   #4
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso
I'm quoting Don Banks from SI. He's talking about the Texans win:

"The Texans aren't special. They have no shot to make history. They're just another bad, one-win team."

The link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...s.shots/2.html

Up for debate: Are we really just another bad, one-win team? I would like to think that if we sucked, we were historically sucky. To put it another way, is there anything to distinguish us from the other loser teams in the NFL?
We are honestly probably a bad 2-3 win team at the end of the season.
Old 11-01-2005   #5
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

We could win more than one game. We still play the Titans, 49ers, Cards and Ravens. Granted, the Ravens and 49ers just had good games.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005   #6
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure if I want our team to be a part of this particular 'history'.

It's almost like arguing which smells worse - dog poo or cat poo. Does the subject really make itself worthy of a discussion?

It must be a slow news day for Mr. Don Banks. Find something more interesting to write about, man.
Old 11-01-2005   #7
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Well I don't think we are a bad TEAM. We got the talent, it is just that talent hasn't been coached to it's potential. I don't think you call this a bad team until you see them do horrible consistently with different coaches like Cardinals, Bengals, Lions etc...
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-01-2005   #8
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 64444 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

I just hope that this bad team isnt good enough to win enough games to where we wind up drafting in the middle of the pack. Lord help us if we win enough to secure Dom's job for one more year.
TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005   #9
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

The way I see that is you can't lose. If you draft #1 you get the best player in the draft and go for your lineman in FA. If you draft middle of the pack you get the best OL in the draft and go for your playmaker in FA.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005   #10
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
Well I don't think we are a bad TEAM. We got the talent, it is just that talent hasn't been coached to it's potential. I don't think you call this a bad team until you see them do horrible consistently with different coaches like Cardinals, Bengals, Lions etc...
1-6 is still a bad TEAM, however, I agree that this is a talented team
and with some upgrades in the off-season, players and coaches, we can be competitive next year.
Old 11-01-2005   #11
real

....we arent just loaded with talent, in fact there arent too many positions on the team that couldnt use an upgrade
Old 11-01-2005   #12
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

You know what's really bad, in retrospect, many here thought the Texans were a playoff contending team this year.

Instead it's been a diaster. I expected more myself and never thought they'd only have 1 win so far.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005   #13
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Yes, and those who said it was going to be bad were given a lot of grief. The one player I said would make a big impact was Mathis and he has. This team has talent, but the coaches make us look oh so bad. Its a shame its that way. I will still say the best O-line combination is Wand, Wiegert, Hodgdon, Pitts and Wade. You will never see it, but I believe that to be the case. I also think we should have kept Kasper and Armstrong should be getting a lot more playing time. The player who has surprised me was Gaffny. I thought his injuries and loss of playing time was going to hurt him more than it has. Actually AJ's injury is allowing Gaffny to play himself into shape and get the touches he needs. AJ is the one I'm still scratching my head over. He was suppose to have a calf injury and now they seem to be talking knee injury. Kind of a different tune. Actually AJ out of the line up is a blessing for the other receivers. They are getting opportunities and it should help us in the long run.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005   #14
touttail
All Pro

I do agree that we are a bad team with a 4 year history, but my gosh what about the Packers with their history and the same record that we have, 1-6.

bobby 119C
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005   #15
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD
You know what's really bad, in retrospect, many here thought the Texans were a playoff contending team this year.

Instead it's been a diaster. I expected more myself and never thought they'd only have 1 win so far.

I know it has happened before where a team was expected to return to the Superbowl and was just pathetic the next year, but how often does it happen that a potential play-off contender bites the bullet like we have?
Old 11-02-2005   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso
I know it has happened before where a team was expected to return to the Superbowl and was just pathetic the next year, but how often does it happen that a potential play-off contender bites the bullet like we have?
We were a borderline playoff contender and most people had us pegged for 8-8 or a win or so around that. It happens all the time in the NFL because every team is loaded and its really not that hard to string losses together in such a tough league. A few years ago San Diego came off an 8-8 season and went 4-12 the very next season (2002-2003) and they were arguably more talented than we are now.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005   #17
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
Yes, and those who said it was going to be bad were given a lot of grief. The one player I said would make a big impact was Mathis and he has. This team has talent, but the coaches make us look oh so bad. Its a shame its that way. I will still say the best O-line combination is Wand, Wiegert, Hodgdon, Pitts and Wade. You will never see it, but I believe that to be the case. I also think we should have kept Kasper and Armstrong should be getting a lot more playing time. The player who has surprised me was Gaffny. I thought his injuries and loss of playing time was going to hurt him more than it has. Actually AJ's injury is allowing Gaffny to play himself into shape and get the touches he needs. AJ is the one I'm still scratching my head over. He was suppose to have a calf injury and now they seem to be talking knee injury. Kind of a different tune. Actually AJ out of the line up is a blessing for the other receivers. They are getting opportunities and it should help us in the long run.
Yeah, that's true. It is also helping Carr as well, IMO. When AJ does return, his time away should have given Carr the confidence to use his #2 WR when AJ isn't open.
Old 11-02-2005   #18
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 57823 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
The Texans management seems to have a problem with "straightforwardness" when it comes to injuries.
Hasn't it been that way since year one?........

cac:
Old 11-02-2005   #19
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Thanks, Vinny.

Here's something. The Texans, Saints, and Vikings are all loser teams this year that are imploding, and in all three cases, management or coaching is as much at fault as the players. To be more specific, I think that each team needs more leadership.

Now, the Niners are very different from the Texans because they are just starting their rebuilding phase, IMO. The Texans, however, should be at the end of the rebuilding phase.

The Ravens and Jets have had key injuries that are affecting the team. While the Texans have had some injuries, at this point I don't know if I would consider them "key." IMO, Babin and Weigert were not producing before their injuries. The biggest injury for the Texans is probably AJ, but something in the back of my head seems to think that he isn't as injured as we all think.

I remember watching the NFL show on HBO this past weekend, and they brought up an interesting comparison, though it was unintentional. Costas asked who the most underachieving player this year was. Chris Carter said David Carr. Dan Marino agreed about Carr, but said he thought Jamal Lewis was the most underachieving player. The similarity? Both are star players on the list of teams with less than three wins.
Old 11-02-2005   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso
Thanks, Vinny.

Here's something. The Texans, Saints, and Vikings are all loser teams this year that are imploding, and in all three cases, management or coaching is as much at fault as the players. To be more specific, I think that each team needs more leadership.
Well the good news is that San Diego team I mentioned earlier is now one of the best team in the NFL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oso
I remember watching the NFL show on HBO this past weekend, and they brought up an interesting comparison, though it was unintentional. Costas asked who the most underachieving player this year was. Chris Carter said David Carr. Dan Marino agreed about Carr, but said he thought Jamal Lewis was the most underachieving player. The similarity? Both are star players on the list of teams with less than three wins.
If your best players play poorly then you just won't have a good team for the most part. Since we have a salary cap the highest paid players need to be your best players since they tie up some of that money you could have used to pursue for other positions. David Carr is the first overall pick with 51 NFL starts under his belt and he struggles to pass for 140 yards against a bad Cleveland team. He is just going to catch heat until he lights it up. 2+2=4

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read