Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 10-31-2005   #1
College Texan
Veteran

Default Hindsight Draft

Round
1. TJ, maybe could have traded up and gotten extra pick and Luis Castillo

2. Not traded for P-buch and gotten Odell Thurman here

3. Traded for and extra sixth and later third, Gotten Marion Barber with third and Jerome Mathis with second third

4. Gotten Chris Canty

5. Drew Hodgon

6. Ceandris Brown and Rob Petiti with extra sixth

7. Exchange titans for their seventh next year
College Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005   #2
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Not bad, I woulda kept pettway, he looked okay in preseason.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005   #3
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

If we are cherry picking then...

Round 1: Traded down to #20. Pick up 2nd round pick: Draft Marcus Spears. DE LSU

Round 2: Not trade for Phillip: Draft Marcus Johnson. OT Ole Miss

Round 2: From round1 trade: Draft Khalif Barnes. OT Washington

Round 3: Draft Richie Incognito. C Nebraska

Round 3: Not trade for Phillip: Marion Barber RB Minnesota

Round 4: Draft Jerome Mathis. WR Hampton

Round 5: Draft Robert McCune. ILB Louisville

Round 6: Draft CC Brown. S ULL

Round 7: Draft Matt Cassel. QB USC
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005   #4
real

round 1- heath miller
round 2- not trade for buchannon and pick up logan mankins starting gaurd for patriots
rest of rounds were o.k
Old 10-31-2005   #5
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Except the Pats took Mankins in the first round
Old 10-31-2005   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Trade down a second time, before the Patriot pick select Mankins or Baas and add a 2nd rd pick to fill the void from the pb trade. either that or just taken Derrick Johnson with the 13th pick:brickwall
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005   #7
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Derrick Johnson in the first round. While I think Travis will be a good player, Derrick is one of those rare athletes that I don't think you should pass on, especially when he falls to the 13th pick in the draft. Before the draft I was hoping we'd trade up higher in the draft just to get him, then he fell to us and I figured we'd for sure get him but we didn't. I am wondering if we thought he'd still be available at 16th when we made that trade, but the admin wouldn't admit to that even if that was the case.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-01-2005   #8
TexasJedi
Hall of Fame

1. (trade down w/NO) Alex Barron-OT (in hindsight though I was not a fan at the time)
2. (no Buchanon trade) Odell Thurman-ILB
3. Vernand Morency-RB
3. Nick Kaczur-OG
4. Jerome Mathis-WR/KR
5. Bo Scaife-TE
6. CC Brown-S
7. Kenneth Pettway-LB
TexasJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005   #9
College Texan
Veteran

I also would have gone for....

1. marcus spears
2. Khalif Barnes
3. Traded to fourth for extra sixth
3. marion barber
4. Jerome Mathis
4. Chris Canty
5. Drew Hodgdon
6. C.C. Brown
6. rob petiti
7. Kenneth Pettway
College Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005   #10
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJedi
2. (no Buchanon trade) Odell Thurman-ILB
That's who I wanted to play MLB for us...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005   #11
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE NFL DRAFT
Round 3: Draft Richie Incognito. C Nebraska

I really liked Incognito before the draft, but I'm not sure I'd have wanted the Texans to pick him up seeing how long it took him to get his contract done. Also he worries me a bit, and seems like he could pull a Robbins later on in his career. He's definately a 1st round quality talent though its just the baggage that worries me.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005   #12
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Ofcourse if we knew all of this Jmathis and odell Thurman would have been long gone by those rounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005   #13
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not big on hindsight drafts, and I actually think the Texans had a good draft in '05. Could have been even better, had they not traded away a couple of 1st day picks. Here's what Casserly had to say after trading away the 47th & 78th selections in the draft for CB Phillip Buchanon:

Quote:
"Can you acquire a player as good as Phillip Buchanon in the second round of the draft?" Casserly said. "The answer is no. Now you're giving up a third-round pick. Your percentage of players drafted in the third round becoming starters is 30 percent or less. You're weighing that when you make this decision. When we finish the draft, we know we got a starter in the second round ... we know we got the best player drafted in the second round this year."
Well, that wasn't the case. The Broncos have 2 young CBs who have outplayed Showtime this season. Guys like Kirk Morrison and Nick Kaczur could have been taken in the 3rd round and had an impact on the Texans. And could the Texans have acquired a player as good as Phillip Buchanon in the second round of the draft? No, but they could have gotten one better in Odell Thurman, the leading candidate for defensive rookie of the year. Even in a draft where the Texans came out with some very good talent, Casserly still had a big swing & miss.
Old 11-02-2005   #14
SESupergenius

And really none of this is your typical hindsight. A lot of these players that we passed on and were mention by posters in this thread were on the fans radar before the Buchanon debacle. This was a deep draft and we pissed it away for some punk CB that couldn't make it in Oakland.
Old 11-02-2005   #15
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

1-DJ LB
2-Justin Miller CB
3a-Richie Incognito C
3b-Adam Snyder OT
4-Jerome Mathis WR
5-Adrian McPherson QB
6-CC Brown S
7-Darrell Shropshire DT
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005   #16
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Or:

1-Derrick Johnson OLB
2-Khalif Barnes OT
3a-Evan Mathis OG
3b-Kevin Everett TE
4-Jerome Mathis WR
5-Robert McCune MLB
6-Chris Kemoeatu OG
7-Darrell Shropshire DT
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
1-DJ LB
2-Justin Miller CB
3a-Richie Incognito C
3b-Adam Snyder OT
4-Jerome Mathis WR
5-Adrian McPherson QB
6-CC Brown S
7-Darrell Shropshire DT
I was and still am a big Justin Miller fan. I thought he would go late 1st rd. but this is all assuming the Texans did not make the PB trade. with PB and the Texans trading down to #16 then Derrick Johnson going to KC @ #15 the Texans should have traded down again taking Mankins or Baas. if the Texans had the hindsight that BJ would go down once again the best player would have to be Heath Miller who was a top 20 pick before his season ending injury which is the only reason he slipped to the Steelers, the team I thought Justin Miller would wind up with.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read