Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-30-2005   #1
marroncito
Rookie

Default Carr Locking onto AJ and what this game might have done for it.

In the past several games Carr has definitly been locking onto AJ at times. Some of the reasons that have been put forward were that none of the other recievers were getting open. Another was that Carr didn't have confidence in his other recievers.

Now that he's played and won with his other recievers, especially Gaffney and Mathis, he might distribute the ball more: use his other weapons.

When AJ gets back on the field 100%, will Carr still get the ball effectivly to Mathis, Gaffney and Armstrong?

Will defenses back off AJ a little now that they've seen that the Texans can get it done with our other recievers?
marroncito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005   #2
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope so. Gaff has shown that he is a legit reciever. He has done well as the #1. Mathis is off and on but has shown flashes of good play. Armsrong I have not seen. If Carr can use all his recievers, the Texans should have a really good passing game.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005   #3
TexansAllTheWayBaby
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 TexansAllTheWayBaby is a Pro BowlerTexansAllTheWayBaby is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via AIM to TexansAllTheWayBaby
Arrow

Andre Johnson should benefit, now that Carr has other reliable options. This will:

-Prevent double teams on Andre during key plays

-Put less pressure on Andre to carry the load

-give Andre more plays to rest his knee injury

The passing game was obviously one off our weaknesses this afternoon. However, this gap has potentail to be filled in the future when Andre Johnson does indeed return.

We need to also work on a few other things. We can't become cocky, and we have to maintain what we did right today, and carry it over into Jacksonville.

Maybe we can get this thing turned around to save players and coaches jobs atleast.

Thanks for cheering us on today if u did!

Go Texans
TexansAllTheWayBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005   #4
phan1
All Pro

I think Carr simply having tunnel vision on AJ is a myth. How many times did Carr throw to AJ when he was playing? Not that many. I think it's just the progression. You're going to look for AJ first obviously, than the other recievers. Problem is, Carr is going to be sacked by the time he completes his 2nd read.

That being said, we really need him on the field. DESPERATELY. It's not like our offense played any better than they did their previous games. It was all on our defense and Jerome Mathis today. AJ really needs to be out there to help jolt our offense because our offense still sucks right now. If we didn't have DD, our offense wouldn't be any better than our rookie year.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005   #5
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansAllTheWayBaby
Maybe we can get this thing turned around to save players and coaches jobs atleast.

Save coaches jobs? That's the last thing we need to happen! The best possible outcome for this season is a new coaching staff.
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005   #6
SESupergenius

I concur, this "locking on" theory is invalid, go look at any other game, QB's look for their primary targets and if time is alloted, only then will they check down. Carr doesn't have that luxury of checking down much. He does however, need to improve his game of being patient when he DOES have time. It' a very fine line with this pass protection.
Old 10-31-2005   #7
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

I think you would agree though. If the defense is rolling coverage to AJ's side, then he should be the last read. There would be a better chance that one of the other recievers would be open. I think that he should have plays where the secondary and tertiary recievers should be the first read until the defense decides to back off AJ.
Old 10-31-2005   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Disagree.

Carr is just now getting into a true rhythm because he's being forced to (GASP!) look to other WRs and not just AJ, then dump to DD if AJ's not open.

Carr is just as responsible as the o line for the poor offense production. Each week, Carr got more and more desperate to find AJ...even if AJ was surrounded by three DBs. And each time he couldn't get it to AJ, he grew more discouraged and more desperate.

To me, Carr's tunnel vision for AJ was definitely part of the problem.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
Disagree.

Carr is just now getting into a true rhythm because he's being forced to (GASP!) look to other WRs and not just AJ, then dump to DD if AJ's not open.

Carr is just as responsible as the o line for the poor offense production. Each week, Carr got more and more desperate to find AJ...even if AJ was surrounded by three DBs. And each time he couldn't get it to AJ, he grew more discouraged and more desperate.

To me, Carr's tunnel vision for AJ was definitely part of the problem.
Carr doesn't call the read progression, the OC does. Reality right now is 90% of the time the play is for the ball to get out in 1 or 2 secs. Pendry has to make the WR's other than AJ the prime read on 50% of the plays for them to stay involved in the game.
Old 10-31-2005   #10
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65
I hope so. Gaff has shown that he is a legit reciever.
Isn't Gaffney the guy everybody wanted to replace in the draft a few months ago? Shows how "intelligent" a lot of fans are.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005   #11
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo
Isn't Gaffney the guy everybody wanted to replace in the draft a few months ago? Shows how "intelligent" a lot of fans are.
I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about but if there is any reciever on this team that the fans were wanting to 86 it was Bradford. Most people on this board seem to be on the fence about Gaffney and some think he's a solid slot reciever. Fans have been calling for Bradford's head since year 2, and with his performance yesterday I dont think he should see the field again this year.
Old 10-31-2005   #12
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 246932 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo
There have been some vocal posters saying that Gaffney is not very good. I've posted metrics a few times to help dispel that myth, but ..... well, yeah.

For the most part, people want Bradford gone, while they begrudgingly acknowledge that Gaffney can be a decent slot guy. I've maintained all along that Gaffney would make a good #2 WR. I am beginning to really warm up to the idea of Mathis being in the slot. That's a tough assignment for a nickel back and would stretch the field a bit.
eriadoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I've talked about how Gaffney can’t throw the ball to himself for years as he is a victim of not being the first or last read since Carr has had tons of trouble picking up mid-reads ever since he first came to the team. Many of the fans here have been so quick to apologize for Carr’s play that they have just blamed guys like Gaffney for his problems.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005   #14
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

I like Gaffney and I think that the Gaffney v Stokley analogy is fair .... Which receiver would you start for your FFL team? Stokley on the Texans or Gaffney on the Colts?
Old 10-31-2005   #15
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I've talked about how Gaffney canít throw the ball to himself for years as he is a victim of not being the first or last read since Carr has had tons of trouble picking up mid-reads ever since he first came to the team. Many of the fans here have been so quick to apologize for Carrís play that they have just blamed guys like Gaffney for his problems.
I've been with you on the Gaffney wagon since day one. One of the few areas where I completley agree with you Vinny.
Old 10-31-2005   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm
I like Gaffney and I think that the Gaffney v Stokley analogy is fair .... Which receiver would you start for your FFL team? Stokley on the Texans or Gaffney on the Colts?
Stokley is faster than Gaffney. I think Gaffney is more of a true possession WR in the mold of Keenan McCardell. McCardell was a great 2nd across from Jimmy Smith for years. Mathis can hammer people from the slot and create mismatches...That's what I'd like to see when everyone is healthy.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005   #17
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Stokley is faster than Gaffney. I think Gaffney is more of a true possession WR in the mold of Keenan McCardell.
no doubt but both are slot receivers ...... and Stokley benefits from the talent around him where Gaffney suffers for the same reason .... that was the point of my post .... it wasn't a tale of the tape ....
Old 10-31-2005   #18
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Now we will have three threats for the defense to worry about. AJ, JM,JG..Im loving it! Hopefully our coaches will actually use this threat.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005   #19
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by phan1
I think Carr simply having tunnel vision on AJ is a myth. How many times did Carr throw to AJ when he was playing? Not that many. I think it's just the progression. You're going to look for AJ first obviously, than the other recievers. Problem is, Carr is going to be sacked by the time he completes his 2nd read.

That being said, we really need him on the field. DESPERATELY. It's not like our offense played any better than they did their previous games. It was all on our defense and Jerome Mathis today. AJ really needs to be out there to help jolt our offense because our offense still sucks right now. If we didn't have DD, our offense wouldn't be any better than our rookie year.
I am agreeing with this. I didn't see us go on a long drive that resulted in a score, nor did I see us close the deal when our ST gave us good field position.

However, our offense didn't lose the game and having AJ back just may allow us to win a game offensively.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005   #20
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80254 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Has anyone gotten the thought that having AJ in the game is what David Carr does NOT need?

I really wouldn't mind if they put AJ out for the season, if only to get Carr more attuned to looking for other receivers. Putting him back in ther sooner rather than later, would only hurt him, IMO.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read