Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-31-2005   #41
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Also trying to kick away from mathis increases the chance of the kicker kicking out of bounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005   #42
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe that Mathis had a great game and is definetly proving himself to be on this team as a contributor. Now whether he is consistent or not is something else. But I can tell you this, if he burns another DB for a long gain again, it will soften things up for the rest of the passing and running game later because people just aren't going to take that chance.

Consistency has been the thing with Bradford and why we haven't had a legitimate #2 deep threat. Bradford does still have the speed but he doesn't have the consistency. Mathis has to have that first before teams really start taking him serious offensively.

Now ST wise, this past Sunday he made a statement and put a bullseye on himself. He is just so fast that they miss though.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005   #43
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

people say that mathis is from a small school, but didnt a young man named jerry rice go to mississippi valley state university? the greatest ever came from podunk school, so why cant we have the next great thing. and i know from experience, the women at hampton are gorgeous, so at least jerome had that going for him

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005   #44
Gunbuny
Rookie

Now that we found our #2 receiver, can we please release all those other pretenders and go after some more real WR's? We are $6.3 million under the cap according to NFL Network and Ask the Commish.com. How about we spend that caish on some psycho who can protect DC's blindside. I am tired of seeing guys nail him. I am so glad we were able to get that 1st win. Now, I wanna see us come out of this with a new coach AND the winners of the Matt Leinhert Sweepstakes. We need that pick so we can parlay it into a few more picks this year and next yr. We need to get OL's to keep Carr alive. His durability has been tested enough.
Gunbuny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005   #45
NYSigma
Rookie

You guys are in for a real treat!! i had the pleasure of watching Mathis play in just about every game of his career! The guy is unreal....you will see!!!
NYSigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005   #46
NYSigma
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
I gotta be the umptenth person to tell you rockabilly that you nailed it with your comments about Mathis - he's our MVP in this game ! I hope Capers gave
him a game ball because he deserves it. And we are just starting to tap this
guys potential. How could he have fallen all the way to the 4th round ?
The reason he fell to the 4th round is because of this silly notion that only the big time programs have the big time players. The same ole small school can't have great players syndrome...it's ashame too because there are so many great players that don't even get looked at because they didn't go the Big School U!!!
NYSigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005   #47
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSigma
The reason he fell to the 4th round is because of this silly notion that only the big time programs have the big time players. The same ole small school can't have great players syndrome...it's ashame too because there are so many great players that don't even get looked at because they didn't go the Big School U!!!
Coming from a small school wasn't the only reason he wasn't slotted higher in the draft. He had questionable route running skills and equally questionable hands from everything I read about him before the draft. Steve McNair was the 3rd pick overall from Alcorn State, so if you have talent the NFL will find you and draft you according to how you grade out.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-31-2005   #48
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember reading that he had at least one off-the-field issue. A few months before the draft he was slated by some draft experts as a high 2nd round, possible 1st round pick.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005   #49
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I never saw him as high as first or second round grade...do you have a link for that?

Old 10-31-2005   #50
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I never saw him as high as first or second round grade...do you have a link for that?
Here are a few. If you Google "jerome mathis, draft" you will find several more mentioning him as a 1st/2nd round prospect. I couldn't find anything about his legal problems, I just remember reading it somewhere around draft time.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2005/...me_mathis.html

http://fcsports.collegesports.com/sp...030805aac.html

http://www.onnidan.com/bcsp/1136/stry11362.htm
Old 10-31-2005   #51
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I did see Kiper list him in the top 25 once (I think). I'm thinking that Jerome ran into some off the field problem between the combine & the draft. What that might have done to his draft stock, who knows? He's a fab talent, but still steak tar-tar as a WR.
Old 10-31-2005   #52
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Looks like it was just a couple of fights...

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...ustice/3151528
Old 11-01-2005   #53
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Sometimes I like to review a rookies standing in the "mock drafts" from earlier
in the year after we've got a ways into the regular season and the player has had an opportunity to establish himself. In reviewing Mathis's predicted finish in some of the mocks right before the April Draft, he's just about where a spectacular prospect with his credentials might be - definite first day pick
with some mocks predicting he'd go late in the first round. Only one thing wrong with that picture - we all know the reality is that we lucked out and found Mathis still on the Board in the 4th round ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005   #54
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

is that something like even a physically challenged squirrel can find a nut once in a while? as a small school prospect with raw tools thats what most people expect'ed 3rd/4th rd. his top attribute has always been his speed, I believe he ran a 4.3 in the combines which along with the post season Villages Gridiron Classic game brought him into scouts consiousness. now he officially had his coming out party its easy to second guess, but for everyone like him who succeeds there are two or three who do not.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005   #55
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I read Mathis broke his jaw in a fight, but I could not find the link. But who cares, Mathis fell to the fourth and we got him!!!
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005   #56
Cheroqui
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas
Mathis has proved to alot of people that doubted him that he is good. All I heard at the beggining of the season was swinton and thomas this swinton and thomas that. Now I see most of you worshipping mathis. Check out the players before automatically judging them next time
I still would have liked to keep Sloan Thomas around though. I'm just smiling like you now at all the people talking about Mathis now that didn't say anything or weren't ready to see him out there "yet". Told you!

What's up with being able to edit your own post on here anyway?
Old 11-01-2005   #57
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheroqui
What's up with being able to edit your own post on here anyway?
Some of us are just horrible typist. I have to edit anything over three lines just so you guys could read it.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005   #58
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Mathis ran a Combine-best 4.28 last year. I personally was hoping we'd draft him in the 3rd round because I figured he'd go then, although I wasn't disappointed with getting Morency because he is a solid RB, although we already have Domanick there. I was happy to see Mathis fall to us in the fourth round and can definitely say I still am happy we got him. He is a great returner and is quickly developing his WR skills.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005   #59
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

anybody else think the falcons are kicking themselves for drafting roddy white in the first round.....?

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005   #60
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07
anybody else think the falcons are kicking themselves for drafting roddy white in the first round.....?
Why? Rookie WR's rarely produce and no WR's produce in a Vick offense. From everything I've read they are happy with his skill set and has more talent than White or Finneran.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read