Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-29-2005   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL.com article on Carr's contract

Vic Carucci of NFL.com answered an emailer's question about Carr's contract bonus/option.

Here is the link http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9007668

Highlights:

1. McNair is "fond" of Carr and wants him to be the face of the Texans for years to come.

2. On the other hand, Carr is taking a bit of blame for the offensive woes and McNair is a businessman and it wouldn't surprise Carucci if McNair is having to carefully weigh his options right now considering the Texans will probably own the 1st pick...Carucci says getting Leinart would be (in Carucci's opinion) upgrading at QB.

3. McNair replacing Capers will create a possibly flammable situation because "what if the new HC does not want Carr?"

Pretty good article, but filled with speculation.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005   #2
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I think that Carr is a Kubiak type of quarterback. The past two successful quarterbacks for Denver have been Elway and I guess Plummer. Both are mobile, tough, and strong armed.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005   #3
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Nice post. I am in absolute favor of the Texans exercising the option on David Carr. Leinart is a good QB, maybe not the best in the draft, but the consensus pick and USC QB's are always pretty smart as far as FB IQ goes. Leinhart is not the answer to any problems and he would not be enough of an upgrade over Carr to warrant us not trading out of the spot. Any offensive minded coach worth his salt(KUBIAK) will fall in love with Carr's talents as soon as he sign on the dotted line to be our HC. Carr has more talent than half of the starting QBs in this league and it is killing me to see it squandered each year. Just for reference I was not a Carr fan until last year. I thought we should have taken Peppers with the First pick and Kubiak should have been our guy right off. Carr has shown me over the last two years that he has heart, tenacity, and a chip on his shoulder. those intangibles matched with is talent and then you add a competent HC and you have a top rated QB.
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005   #4
TexanBearkat
Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to TexanBearkat

I think Carr has the heart and toughness to be the QB here, goodness knows the guy can take a hit. I expect McNair will exercise the option on Carr then direct the NEW GM to get some O-line help. Carr has developed a lot of bad habits and I hope the NEW COACHING STAFF will be able to work with him during the offseason to correct those mistakes. His footwork is terrible now and he needs to learn to throw the ball away instead of running out of bounds and taking a sack. I've not given up on Carr but he does need to be 'reprogrammed'
Old 10-29-2005   #5
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
Nice post. I am in absolute favor of the Texans exercising the option on David Carr. Leinart is a good QB, maybe not the best in the draft, but the consensus pick and USC QB's are always pretty smart as far as FB IQ goes. Leinhart is not the answer to any problems and he would not be enough of an upgrade over Carr to warrant us not trading out of the spot. Any offensive minded coach worth his salt(KUBIAK) will fall in love with Carr's talents as soon as he sign on the dotted line to be our HC. Carr has more talent than half of the starting QBs in this league and it is killing me to see it squandered each year. Just for reference I was not a Carr fan until last year. I thought we should have taken Peppers with the First pick and Kubiak should have been our guy right off. Carr has shown me over the last two years that he has heart, tenacity, and a chip on his shoulder. those intangibles matched with is talent and then you add a competent HC and you have a top rated QB.
I agree with you on all points except for the top rated QB piece. Carr still has a lot of work to do even with a competent HC. Part of Carr's mission, I believe, this year and next year will be to first and foremost win back the hearts and minds of his team mates.
Old 10-29-2005   #6
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
Carucci says getting Leinart would be (in Carucci's opinion) upgrading at QB.
For the LAST time, having an immobile QB with a weaker arm will not be a #$%^ing upgrade at QB with this team and OLine. It's really just common sense.
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005   #7
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlackBear32
For the LAST time, having an immobile QB with a weaker arm will not be a #$%^ing upgrade at QB with this team and OLine. It's really just common sense.
But that is only your opinion. I like Carr too, but he has become too antsy in the pocket and has happy feet. Doesnt throw the long well at all. Doesn't always see the open receivers and when he does, he doesnt throw the ball on time...
Old 10-29-2005   #8
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great One
Carr throws a good deep ball when given time.
Now you can't sit there and tell me that in no game this season has Carr had the chance and time to throw a long deep pass to AJ or another wide out... I sit in the shady end zone so I can watch the whole field and have seen many times the reciever was open and Carr did not deliver but offered a dump pass to DD instead.... So don't go there with the O-Line wows on me, it wont carry water in that bucket.
Old 10-29-2005   #9
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Joe Montana wasn't the most mobile QB and didn't have the strongest arm, but was one of the best in history. The same can be said for Tom Brady.

Carr has not shown the ability to read defenses and certainly has not proven to be very smart. Leinart would be a huge upgrade over Carr in these areas. As would 3 or 4 other QB's in this draft.

Carr has been given more than ample time to prove himself as an NFL quarterback and has failed miserably. Not all of his faults can be blamed on the offensive line. That excuse just doesn't cut it anymore.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005   #10
rafterticket
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBred_Texan
Now you can't sit there and tell me that in no game this season has Carr had the chance and time to throw a long deep pass to AJ or another wide out... I sit in the shady end zone so I can watch the whole field and have seen many times the reciever was open and Carr did not deliver but offered a dump pass to DD instead.... So don't go there with the O-Line wows on me, it wont carry water in that bucket.
Come on, brother. You mean those times he dumped to DD when the receivers were well covered and he was about to get smashed? Have they even RUN a deep route?

Look, I'm down on these guys, too. This problem is not all DC's!
rafterticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005   #11
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Carr should stay. Last year, when the line was blocking well, Carr had really good stats. He should not be graded because the oline in front is not very good.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005   #12
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food
Joe Montana wasn't the most mobile QB and didn't have the strongest arm, but was one of the best in history. The same can be said for Tom Brady.
Theres a huge difference between "wasnt the most mobile" and a guy who wears a knee brace after a huge injury and cant even push off that leg in the pocket without his leg giving out.

Oh and Montana also played with some decent players over his NFL career.
Old 10-29-2005   #13
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBred_Texan
But that is only your opinion.
It's also the opinion of most people who know a lick about football and dont slurp up the E"USC"PN kool-aid in regards to Leinart. Are you seriously going to debate that Leinart is mobile and has a big arm?
Old 10-29-2005   #14
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

I just do not understand why anyone would want Leinart in houston. While he might be a good Qb, he will get killed in Houston. Carr is among the most mobile of today's QB. Last season he was third in the NFL and 1st in the AFC in rushiing yards for a QB. Leinart is not mobile at all and actually has a bad knee. If we took Leinart, he would get absolutly decimated behind our swiss cheese line.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005   #15
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

In fact I woulod even consider drafting Vince Young next year and then setting up two people behind the Center. Who would play QB is what would confound the D!

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005   #16
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst
I just do not understand why anyone would want Leinart in houston. While he might be a good Qb, he will get killed in Houston. Carr is among the most mobile of today's QB. Last season he was third in the NFL and 1st in the AFC in rushiing yards for a QB. Leinart is not mobile at all and actually has a bad knee. If we took Leinart, he would get absolutly decimated behind our swiss cheese line.
Mobility does not equal less sacks (see Mike Vick, Dante Culpepper and Randall Cunningham).

I'll take a QB with pocket presense, ability to read defenses and common sense over one with a strong arm and mobility.
Old 10-29-2005   #17
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Mobility does not equal less sacks (see Mike Vick, Dante Culpepper and Randall Cunningham).

I'll take a QB with pocket presense, ability to read defenses and common sense over one with a strong arm and mobility.

Uhhh, yes it does. If you are mobile, you can move in the pocket. If you arent, you cant. It's easy!
Old 10-29-2005   #18
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Uhhh, yes it does. If you are mobile, you can move in the pocket. If you arent, you cant. It's easy!
So how do you explain 3 of the most mobile quarterbacks in the league consistently being the leaders in sacks?

We can go over stats all night long if you wish, but I will state it again, and it is a proven fact... mobility does not equal less sacks. In Carr's case, he would be sacked less if he wasn't so "mobile".
Old 10-29-2005   #19
yaboycm
Veteran

Let them play
Let them play
Let them play
Let them play

Old 10-29-2005   #20
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
So how do you explain 3 of the most mobile quarterbacks in the league consistently being the leaders in sacks?

We can go over stats all night long if you wish, but I will state it again, and it is a proven fact... mobility does not equal less sacks. In Carr's case, he would be sacked less if he wasn't so "mobile".
Zone blocking..................................
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read