Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-28-2005   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't know if anyone else is listening to Casserly on 610 this morning, but
he's going on about well how CP is doing at LT and how much stronger he is
than his rookie year. Given the problems of our OL, this begs the question -
why didn't they go right to CP at the beginning of the year if they decided to
drop Seth Wand as the LT, instead of fooling around with a journeyman RT like Riley ? These guys just go around and around in circles on these OL
issues.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Don't know if anyone else is listening to Casserly on 610 this morning, but
he's going on about well how CP is doing at LT and how much stronger he is
than his rookie year. Given the problems of our OL, this begs the question -
why didn't they go right to CP at the beginning of the year if they decided to
drop Seth Wand as the LT, instead of fooling around with a journeyman RT like Riley ? These guys just go around and around in circles on these OL
issues.
I am, and also wonder why I can see that Chester is the best LT on the squad and it takes our Coaching staff half a season to figure it out. Chester got some pretty high praise...but I get bashed for saying it here. Go figure.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005   #3
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208658 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Casserly's Draft Comments this AM on SR610

I'm sure a few of you caught this as well, but Casserly was on SR610 this morning and a caller asked him what the draft process was and who had what say about players when coaches and the GM may disagree on things. He responded --

a.) Players that will be changing positions, he relies on the coaches' input primarily.

b.) Players that they think may have issues learning the position or system, he relies on the coaches' input primarily.

c.) Straight draft picks where the player will not be changing positions, he relies primarily on the scouting department and any coaches that have worked with the player (possibly the Texans' staff, depending on the situation).

d.) If he has seen and evaluated the player, he sometimes uses his opinion as a tiebreaker.

e.) Anytime there is a big money decision, the coaches have to buy into it.

f.) For free agency decisions, the Texans coaching staff and scouts sit down in a room and review film and have meetings. They also talk to coaches that have worked with players along the way. They are very concerned about off-field issues. Occasionally, they think they can overcome whatever problems and they pull the trigger anyway. Coaches have full buy-in for these types of decisions.

These are the things that stuck in my head. I'm sure a few of you caught more of the segment and can add comments.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005   #4
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds like a real question was asked and received a real answer. Nice for a change.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005   #5
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think it matters anymore what he says or thinks. I think he's history after this season.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005   #6
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208658 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Regarding the Chester Pitts thing, it has frustrated me to no end how this staff has handled him. He has done the best job at LT from any players we've had. He may not fit Capers' stereotypical LT, but results have to count somewhere here. As bad as Wand was early in the season last year, he improved somewhat and now he doesn't even get a chance, as another example of Capers' poor management. I know these guys are better players than what we've seen to this point.

Casserly's statements regarding the draft process really hinted on a couple players we've taken as well, and it's a shame to see Capers getting that much input. Well, I guess he has to, but he's demonstrated that he's not going to turn Babin into the next Kevin Greene, even if Babin does have the talent. The coaching staff should have developed several players in a better manner to this point. Off the top of my head -

Babin - show some technique, please

Pitts - shows flashes, but needs technique work

Wand - was slowly getting better

Wiegert - good run blocker, needs pass pro work

Peek - play to your player's strengths please

Wells - has gotten better and he has the talent, but still makes mistakes that can be coached away

Earl - won the starting job last year, but can't find the field this year?

Kenny Wright - you thought Faggins was better? Coach him up then. They are both about equal in talent, I'd estimate, but Wright is playing well for his stature.

Anyway, I am just through with this coaching regime. I know we should be getting better production from our players before we can gauge what we need from a talent standpoint.
Old 10-28-2005   #7
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

:brickwall The Texans brass is an amazing unit . Take Chester for example ... he is the best LT on the team yet they insist on putting him at guard . How do you have faith in the coaching when as a player you know their screwing up . Then you promote the OL coach to OC .
Old 10-28-2005   #8
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc
I'm sure a few of you caught this as well, but Casserly was on SR610 this morning and a caller asked him what the draft process was and who had what say about players when coaches and the GM may disagree on things. He responded --

a.) Players that will be changing positions, he relies on the coaches' input primarily.

b.) Players that they think may have issues learning the position or system, he relies on the coaches' input primarily.

c.) Straight draft picks where the player will not be changing positions, he relies primarily on the scouting department and any coaches that have worked with the player (possibly the Texans' staff, depending on the situation).

d.) If he has seen and evaluated the player, he sometimes uses his opinion as a tiebreaker.

f.) For free agency decisions, the Texans coaching staff and scouts sit down in a room and review film and have meetings. They also talk to coaches that have worked with players along the way. They are very concerned about off-field issues. Occasionally, they think they can overcome whatever problems and they pull the trigger anyway. Coaches have full buy-in for these types of decisions.

These are the things that stuck in my head. I'm sure a few of you caught more of the segment and can add comments.
Is it passing the buck time? ..

With that being said by Casserly ... and if it's all reality .. what exactly does Casserly do?
Sounds like a pretty cushy job to me.
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005   #9
SESupergenius

I see no reason to have Casserly if Capers is making the majority of these decisions, let's just go ahead and have a Head Coach/GM position. If Casserly gets no fault, he gets no credit either.
Old 10-28-2005   #10
DRAMA
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to DRAMA

I think the coaching staff simply has very little understanding of talent evaluation...GM included. If we apply certain rules to players, wouldn't coaches/GM's be under similar scrutiny?

By that, I mean, Hollings runs a 4.3. GREAT, START HIM! Nope, we can't because he does other things poorly.

Can't we now assume that after seeing Casserly and Capers that in THIS situation they may 'run a 4.3' in certain areas but do others areas so poorly that a change needs to made? It's not wrong to say that the fit isn't right anymore. Hollings may play in Arizona but not here. Casserly and Capers may work somewhere else...just not here any longer.

I just think they're doing too many things poorly...as I do of Carr, too be quite honest!
DRAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005   #11
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I am, and also wonder why I can see that Chester is the best LT on the squad and it takes our Coaching staff half a season to figure it out. Chester got some pretty high praise...but I get bashed for saying it here. Go figure.

hopefully casserley wasnt talking about the first half of the seatle game. if he was including that then im concerened about his ability to evaluate our players.

if you go back and look at our thread at hpf you will notice i commented on pitts having a much improved first half performance against indy.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth
hopefully casserley wasnt talking about the first half of the seatle game. if he was including that then im concerened about his ability to evaluate our players.

if you go back and look at our thread at hpf you will notice i commented on pitts having a much improved first half performance against indy.
Wistrom had 2 tackles in that game. His only sack was against Rivers as well. Nice try though.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005   #13
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
I see no reason to have Casserly if Capers is making the majority of these decisions, let's just go ahead and have a Head Coach/GM position. If Casserly gets no fault, he gets no credit either.
There have been coaches that have been a combination of coach and GM and to be honest, I'm not sure I know where the line is drawn between the two positions. I would think that it's a lot of information to digest for one person, but there certainly needs to be a great deal of synergy between the two positions. The other aspect of this is Casserly's responsibilities to McNair. From what I've heard on the radio from Richard Justice and John McClain, McNair trusts Casserly and is unlikely to let him go. So if we get a good coaching staff and all of a sudden these picks work out, due to proper coaching, how much responsibility/credit does Casserly take? I get the feeling that many of you will be unwilling to give credit to Casserly if they work out, while you are more than willing to pile on if they do not work out. Hence, the question.
Old 10-28-2005   #14
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87952 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

i had other things i had to take care of and wasnt able to listen to anymore about the time lance asked him about evaluating free agents...

as for the draft comments casserly struck me as completly sincere for once (no bs---probably out of frustration).

i think it was a good look into how they operate (for those of u who wonder what charley does all day i dont think its much diffrent then any other gm).

i also think it was a dammage control oppurtunity. i think he was candid because of all the people wanting to drop his name in the bucket.
Old 10-28-2005   #15
College Texan
Veteran

Parcells gets the credit for drafted players, why can't we have a head coach who runs things the same way as him, and is there a possible new coach out there. and by the way casserly isn;t so bad, at first until the travis johnson pick it seemed like every move they made was golden and since were losing, everything is being questioned, I think travis johnson will eventually work out and so will babin, I remember being mad about the dunta pick, but look how he turned out.
College Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005   #16
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc

Its what a number of us have been saying. Casserly depends on Capers and his staff to a very large degree and does not make decisions on his own in a vaccumm. He delegates and the coaching staff has a very large say in who is picked up and where they will play. Carr and AJ are examples of probably a Casserly decision, but TJ and Babin are Capers and his staffs decisions. I would be Mathis is a Casserly decision. DD is somewhere in between and Wand and BJ are again Capers and his staff's call based on the Senior Bowl game where they were the coaches. You can say what you want, but Capers and his staff are the biggest single problem associated with this ball club. Forget everyone else.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005   #17
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87952 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
Capers and his staff are the biggest single problem associated with this ball club. Forget everyone else.
i agree full heartedly. if you look to my post in "10 game off season", you'll find a suggestion that gets the best of both worlds.
Old 10-28-2005   #18
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by College Texan
Parcells gets the credit for drafted players, why can't we have a head coach who runs things the same way as him, and is there a possible new coach out there. and by the way casserly isn;t so bad, at first until the travis johnson pick it seemed like every move they made was golden and since were losing, everything is being questioned, I think travis johnson will eventually work out and so will babin, I remember being mad about the dunta pick, but look how he turned out.
I think if you draft a player that is supposed to be a first-year impact player, the GM has to take a bit more responsibility for that pick. If it's a player that is a later-round pick and needs some coaching, then the coaching staff gets credit/takes blame for not developing that player. Anything beyond the third round is almost like Vegas gambling anyway. There's no doubt that a lot of Casserly's evaluation in Houston will ride on Carr's career. Carr has had 50 starts already, so it's getting to the point where that's going to come to pass, whether it's fair or not. However, to be fair, Carr has not been put in a position to succeed, so it's hard to draw conclusions. IMO, Casserly and Carr have one more year, with a new coaching staff, to determine their fate. In the meantime, the team should be making contingency plans.
Old 10-28-2005   #19
Test Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
but TJ and Babin are Capers and his staffs decisions.
And they still may pan out. You want to give Carr 50+ games to show his potential but you want to give no time for some of the newer guys...but then again...they aren't Fresno St products!

Vinny here...just testing the account groups.
Test Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005   #20
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Wistrom had 2 tackles in that game. His only sack was against Rivers as well. Nice try though.

just cause winstrom didnt have great stats doesnt mean pitts had a good first half. i saw with my own eyes.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read