Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-27-2005   #1
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179775 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Building an OL

Anyone see MNF when they were talking about Atlanta's OL ? They're for the most part 5th -7th rd picks . They believe that if your smart they can teach you the rest .
Old 10-27-2005   #2
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Not to mention that they have Alex Gibbs who is one of the top 5 line coachs ever.
Old 10-27-2005   #3
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-minus67
Not to mention that they have Alex Gibbs who is one of the top 5 line coachs ever.
I didn't know coaching made a difference. Oh, that's why we have Pendry...
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005   #4
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34
Anyone see MNF when they were talking about Atlanta's OL ? They're for the most part 5th -7th rd picks . They believe that if your smart they can teach you the rest .
And the Falcons run zone blocking...They have the #1 rushing offense in the NFL and the 28th ranked passing offense in the NFL and have allowed 15 sacks, tied for 9th most sacks allowed in the NFL. Last season they allowed 50 sacks, 1 more than we allowed last season. Their pass blocking isn't the greatest...
Old 10-27-2005   #5
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default OL Drafting #s

The only position on the OL where a top pick has to be spent is LT. I did a quick run through of the normal starting LTs(a couple injured) in the league in this is what I found.

1st round- 16 starters every true elite LT drafted in this round mostly top half
2nd round- 6 starters... a couple of good, solid guys, no elite types
3rd round- 5 starters...think none of these guys above average
4th round 1 starter...
7th round- 1 starter
FA- 3 starters

Basically to get a quality LT, a team has to use a high, normally first round draft pick to get one. Just glancing while doing this all the other OL positions had a pretty large spread of picks throughout the draft.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005   #6
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
And the Falcons run zone blocking...They have the #1 rushing offense in the NFL and the 28th ranked passing offense in the NFL and have allowed 15 sacks, tied for 9th most sacks allowed in the NFL. Last season they allowed 50 sacks, 1 more than we allowed last season. Their pass blocking isn't the greatest...
Now, remember zone blocking has no affect on the passing game. You should know better than to hint that a zone blocking team might not be an efficient passing team. Oh, and yes, Sacks are not the result of employing the zone blocking scheme.
Old 10-28-2005   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I dunno.....tough to discover what is the common denominator for a successful OL. The Texans regular OL starters last couple years has 3
players selected in the second round: Pitts, Weigert, Wade. Weigert was
a tackle in college (won the Outland trophy with the Cornhuskers), but has
played mostly guard in the pros. Maybe Wade is really an NFL guard, even
though a tackle in college like Weigert ? But if the Falcons can put together
a good OL combination with late second day talent, why can't we with an OL dominated by first day picks ? No, that's too simplistic. Forget it, must be something more complex that that ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-28-2005   #8
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Weigert was a tackle in college (won the Outland trophy with the Cornhuskers), but has
played mostly guard in the pros. Maybe Wade is really an NFL guard, even
though a tackle in college like Weigert ?
I think lot of guys who played tackle in college might end up as guards in the NFL. I haven't sifted through reams of data to find out, but it seems that college coaches would put their best lineman at LT. Then, when they are drafted they are moved to their "natural NFL position" since the NFL coachhas other NFL quality players to choose from at LT.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005   #9
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
What even makes me scratch my head more is that their recievers are Jenkins, Finneran and White. Although they do have the Crumpler.
Old 10-28-2005   #10
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
What even makes me scratch my head more is that their recievers are Jenkins, Finneran and White. Although they do have the Crumpler.
Those three wide receivers have seemed to do very well when Matt Schaub has played. Just an observation.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005   #11
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc
Those three wide receivers have seemed to do very well when Matt Schaub has played. Just an observation.
Schaub is a hell of a QB. He should get alot of attention in the offseason. I think he is a better QB than Vick in almost every aspect and its a shame he wont ever get to start in that system.
BigBull17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17
Schaub is a hell of a QB. He should get alot of attention in the offseason. I think he is a better QB than Vick in almost every aspect and its a shame he wont ever get to start in that system.
SI has Schaub listed as number 9 on the young franchise QB's in the NFL. Carr isn't on the list. Peyton is 11...they don't list him because they explain they are listing young QB's to build a team around. Peyton is an 8 year vet.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005   #13
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17
Is he a FA this off-season? I would really like to see the Texans either re-work Carr's contract or cut ties with him and pursue someone like Schaub in '06. We can get the O-line up to snuff and then, if necessary, draft a QB in '07. Hopefully, Carr shows a turnaround in '06 behind a better line and the team can proceed with that as their plan, but Schaub could provide competition for the starting job, at the very least, and maybe take it.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005   #14
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179775 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Vinny I think your better of refering to Carr as FHFC ( Future Hall of Famer Carr ) that way you won't get the snide comments back .

Anyway I started this thread about building an OL . It appears that all good lines ( Pitt , Seattle , KC ) all have some # 1 picks . Its also apparent that its better to average 315 lbs than 335 lbs . It seems that a good LT is very rare .

If the draft has a coulpe of stud LTs ... I say take him and let him play RT a couple of years like Gallery . I would say take an interior OL early also . This and a good OL coach should get that group going in the right direction .
Old 10-28-2005   #15
College Texan
Veteran

Why take a first rounder to play a position he won't be on forever?
I say you have to move pitts to a side where he will never have to move back from, and I think he should be our right tackle, we cold have two all-pro tackles,
assuming we draft a stud in the first. I think Mkinney can redeem his career at LG, and the center should get better, I still think a third round center would be good for competition and depth or to move to RG, but right guard should be a mix of players until we find a keeper, wand should have played here imo, but we can also play riley there, since hes a good run blocker, and if we were to draft one, I think blacklock from ut wont leave till next year.
College Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by College Texan
Why take a first rounder to play a position he won't be on forever?
I say you have to move pitts to a side where he will never have to move back from, and I think he should be our right tackle, we cold have two all-pro tackles, assuming we draft a stud in the first.
I think drafting a LT and moving Pitts to RT and putting Wade at RG would cure many ills on this line.

Old 10-28-2005   #17
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Robert Gallery was a can't miss LT . If he can't start as a rookie then I would expect the same for a LT this year . Now I did not take into account the other guys carring him .
Old 10-28-2005   #18
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I think drafting a LT and moving Pitts to RT and putting Wade at RG would cure many ills on this line.
Yes, Vinny and I think he should be moved right now. As you know I would like to see the line of Wand, Wiegert, Hodgdon, Pitts and Wade from left to right. I still believe that is our best line, but it will never see the light of day because of this coaching staff. You have your oppions and I have mine. I still think Wand is a victum of Pitts when Wand was playing tackle. I think Wiegert and Wand would work very well together along with the young Center. This way you would have an experience O-lineman next to Wand and the young center. Pitts would be shoring up the other side with an experience lineman next to him. Working combinations is as important as talent sometimes. Remember, Wand held his own against Feeney. He was attributed to allowing very few sacks. His problems begin with - oh my god - the zone blocking scheme. But then so did everyone else. Oh, well, you can drag a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
Old 10-28-2005   #19
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Just asking but is Wade to tall for a guard ? I thought the ideal guard is 6'3 or 6'4 . This is to get leverage .
Old 10-28-2005   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Just asking but is Wade to tall for a guard ? I thought the ideal guard is 6'3 or 6'4 . This is to get leverage .
There have been good Guards taller than that. Bruce Matthews didn't have any issues at 6'5". Wade isn't athletic enough to be at the Tackle from what I've seen now that he has a full year under his belt here.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read