Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-26-2005   #1
Co E-Z
Rookie

Default Vernand Morency

Why is Vernand Morency keeping the bench from flying in the air? We are simply wasting this guy's talent. DD cannot continue to carry the ball more than 20 times a game because DD is just not built to handle a load like that. The one time VM gets in on offense, what do we do? Line him up at receiver and throw him a hitch pass? Made absolutely no sense! I say the guy needs to touch the ball 8-10 times a game out of the running back position. Not taking anything away from DD because he is a tougher runner who breaks lots of tackles but VM is a more explosive back and is much quicker to the hole.I beleive they could be a formidable 1-2 rb tandem. They are letting this guy rot on the sidelines. Hey, lame duck coaches get this guy incorporated into the offense ASAP! You old heads tell me what is going on.
Co E-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005   #2
wenskek
Rookie

i like your thought, and the same goes for armstrong as well.
wenskek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005   #3
THEFUTURE
All Pro

when your team only runs about 40 to 50 plays a game... its not likely that 10 of em are going to Morency
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005   #4
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I think the new coaching staff may have to re-evaluate all of the offensive skill positions. I think AJ is the only one safe. They will have to take a look at Carr, Ragone, Banks, DD, Morency, Hollings, Wells, Mathis, Gaffney, Armstrong, Joppru, Murphy, Norris, etc. (I'm assuming Bradford is down and out after this season). Roles may get redefined. I think Carr will get the nod going into next year and if he still struggles, he will be traded before the 2007 season.
Old 10-27-2005   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I think our staff is horrible at spotting talent and how to use what they have. That said, Dom Davis is solid and needs to get most of the touches at this stage in both of their careers. I'd like to see Morency in there like the Chiefs use Larry Johnson...but our offense is so crappy we can't pass so we don't have long drives....so Davis doesn't need a break. We have got to be able to pass before we can start to have longer drives necessitating Morency being worked in. I would love to see him in the mix as well. I feel he can be a starter in this league. He has great explosion and cutting ability....but as long as we throw for 84 net yards a game we won't see much more than what we have been seeing.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005   #6
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

You know who's the best at that Vinny . The Steelers they can see something in a player and they will make it fit into their smashmouth system .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005   #7
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Morency could be a good back. The Texans just dont get enough offensive plays to try different players.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-27-2005   #8
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Well I did like when i saw them go long to Morency. He actually almost made the grab. I thought to myself, now wouldn't it be nice if this guy could be the kind of back that can go out and catch Thurman Thomas type passes where he would go long for Jim Kelly. Then I remembered our offense is nowhere near there.

However, it would be nice to see that draft pick work since Morency is our value we got for the famous Drew Henson pick.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005   #9
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13222 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes please let us see 5-10 touches to Morency, at least we might succeed in confusing the opponents a bit ?
Malloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005   #10
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 298503 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I think, at this point, they really should run some designed plays to Mathis and Morency, if only to get a better idea of what we have in those two.

Then again, that would imply that a.) this coaching staff can design plays toward a player's strengths, and b.) they could evaluate the results correctly.
eriadoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005   #11
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Morency as well and would not mind see him getting more touches. There must be somehting up in the water in Stillwater as they have put out some backs.
Old 10-27-2005   #12
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

Id rather see Wells get the ball more. Big back, worked his butt off and deserves a shot

Morency did not impress me vs. 3rd string defenses in Pre season where he had one good run and 9 bad runs.
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005   #13
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Remember Van Gundy's first year with the Rockets? He didn't make many moves and he evaluated the talent then made a ton of changes before the next season? I wonder if that will be the case with a new staff. I'm sure the choice of defensive scheme will also have a bering on that.
Old 10-27-2005   #14
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

This coaching staff is stuck in one gear: First.

We have explosive players (Morency, Mathis, DD, Carr, AJ) and a coaching philosophy that tries to pound the ball all day long.

Think what we'd be like if we didn't have a zone blocking scheme that compliments DD's running style (the short, choppy, mis-direction style)?

We'd be getting goose-egged every game.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005   #15
mean mark8
Veteran

I don't get why we lined him up at wide receiver. Weren't Mathis and Armstrong available to play? Are you telling me that a rookie RB can play the wide receiver position better than a veteran and a rookie WR that supposedly keeps taking great strides in his route running abilities? If I recall correctly, the WR position is tough to step into as a rookie because of the different defenses you see, etc. so why line up a rookie RB at wide out when we have to able bodied players who have played the position for years? Morency must be a better WR than Mathis, that's why we line him up out there.
mean mark8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005   #16
aliaspgk
Rookie

Morency passed Babin as the most inexcusable draft pick we have ever made. We had so many holes we needed to address, O line, OLB (and ILB for that matter), SS, Tight End...and with a 3rd rounder we draft a career backup at the one spot you could say (cautiously) that we have a little bit of depth in Wells and Davis. I was absoultely horrified when I saw this pick and am still horrified when I see Casserly talk about it. This is nothing against Morency either, Im sure he could be effective, except for the fact that hes already almost 27, but this was one of the most irresponsible picks we have ever made.
aliaspgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005   #17
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

Amen Alias, what a wasted pick! Wells is a decent back (had a 100 yard game) and has worked his butt off, got into shape and can punish people trying to tackle him.

YET, another stupid draft pick by Casserly and/or Capers.
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought Morency was one of our better value picks. He was a second round talent we got with a 3rd rounder....he's a better back than JJ Arrington who was taken early in the 2nd round.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005   #19
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeagle
Amen Alias, what a wasted pick! Wells is a decent back (had a 100 yard game) and has worked his butt off, got into shape and can punish people trying to tackle him.

YET, another stupid draft pick by Casserly and/or Capers.
Wells can punish people??? Does he do that before or after he turns he back to the defender who is about to tackle him???

And when you run the ball as much as we do, you need a stable of backs. No one got on the Eagles when they had the Staley, Westbrook, Buckhalter trio...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005   #20
aliaspgk
Rookie

A value pick eh? Value is upside and potential...while you have all the holes on your team I mentioned you use your 3rd rounder, someone who should have a great chance to make an impact on your team, to draft a 26 year old running back who has below average speed and who will maybe just maybe work his way into being a posession back by the time hes 29. DD's contract has several more years and Morency will never ever be a feature back on a good team, he has neither the talent or speed so dont pretend that he ever will be. Where is the value in that? You say there is value because some scouts had him ranked as a second round prospect, but we are buliding a franchise and the last thing we needed with that pick was a freakin back up running back...we didnt draft Cadillac Williams here...its Vernand Morency-a 3rd round back for a reason. GM's get so caught up in "value" or position picks that they horribly ignore what their team really needs when they see a name on the board that they thought should be gone already. So many holes...and we get Vernand Morency. Awful.
aliaspgk is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read