Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-26-2005   #1
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Charlie Weis....?

I wonder if he would consider coming to Houston for the head coach position. I ask that because there was an article the other day on nfl.com that said that several teams were interested in him for their head coaching position and he only has a 1.5 million dollar buy out at Notre Dame. I personally think he's worth every penny of it considering what he has the potential to do. As far as I'm concerned...let the bidding begin!
Old 10-26-2005   #2
mean mark8
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigTEXan8
Well, we would have a great coach, just no money to pay any FA.
Coach's salaries do not figure into salary cap considerations if that's what you're implying. If you're saying that McNair won't pay $5 or $6 million a year to a great coach, I don't think you know how committed he is to this football team. I mean the guy paid $700 million to get the team. I would love to see if Weis might be enticed out of Notre Dame but I don't know that he would. It might be a way to see just what some one with a real idea of football talent thinks about the talent on this team. If he thinks we have the horses, he might go for it; otherwise, would he want to leave what he has for a Houston team in utter disarray?
mean mark8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005   #3
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know if he would be interested in coming here or not, but I know if he did he would do wonders for this organization. He has a no-nonsense approach and holds everyone accountable for their actions. That's what this franchise needs at this point in my opinion. He has done a great job this year for Notre Dame, just depends on whether he wants to stay in college or try his hand at the pros. Hopefully the later one and here.
Old 10-26-2005   #4
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635
I don't know if he would be interested in coming here or not, but I know if he did he would do wonders for this organization. He has a no-nonsense approach and holds everyone accountable for their actions. That's what this franchise needs at this point in my opinion. He has done a great job this year for Notre Dame, just depends on whether he wants to stay in college or try his hand at the pros. Hopefully the later one and here.
FWIW....Here is an abbreviated cut and paste from the ND message board. It is a response from a poster to those who are afraid Weis would leave the Irish coaching job for an NFL job.

This is taken directly from Coach Weis' initial press conference. . If you can't believe the man himself, you are an eternal pessimist. I have also included a link for those who are interested in reading the whole thing. GOOD READ!

"And when I come here, I don't come here to leave and take a job in the NFL in three years. This is not a stepping stone.

This is an end-all for our family. We come to Notre Dame, it's with the intent of retiring here. That's why we're coming here. We don't come here to bounce somewhere else. If that's what I was going to be doing, I would not be taking this job and I would be waiting till the season ended in the NFL and try to get one of those jobs. I'm here because I want to be here. I'll proud to be here. I'm thankful to be here."

And unlike a lot of people that are in the profession, folks, what you see is what you get here. There's no hidden agenda. There's no self-promotion; this is who I am and fortunately or unfortunately I wear my colors. You don't have to worry about -- you know what you're getting out of me because I'm a pretty straight shooter."

This is a link to the entire transcript

http://und.collegesports.com/sports/...121304aaa.html

GO IRISH
Old 10-26-2005   #5
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great One
I don't consider myself a pessimist, but I have heard this from many coaches who eventually left the job for a "better opportunity." This is a business and situations change. Didn't Butch Davis say something similar to this while he was at Miami? I betcha he wishes he kept his word.
Oops, the pessimist remark was not aimed at you.
It was aimed at the posters on the Irish MB by the original poster.

I hope/believe that Weis has a little more integrity than Davis, but we never really know, do we? I will take the man at his word till he proves me wrong.

I hope Weis stays at ND. I am an Irish fan first and foremost.

cac:
Old 10-26-2005   #6
txhoosier
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee
Oops, the pessimist remark was not aimed at you.
It was aimed at the posters on the Irish MB by the original poster.

I hope/believe that Weis has a little more integrity than Davis, but we never really know, do we? I will take the man at his word till he proves me wrong.

I hope Weis stays at ND. I am an Irish fan first and foremost.

cac:
could not agree more. Butch Davis' integrity VS Charlie Weis' integrity. Not even close to comparison IMO.

I'm glad to see CW mention this so that everyone is aware...he is in South Bend to stay, and we're keeping him!!!

GO GOLDEN DOMERS!!!
Old 10-26-2005   #7
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting thing about Weis and his contract at ND is that it is for 6 years, BUT it has a 1.5 million buy out feature to it. Not a large amount in NFL standards and Adam Schefter (I think it was him) has reported that at least one NFL team has talked with his agent. Hope it's us. How good would it be to have J. Johnson as GM and Weis as HC. That could be a kickbutt lead team IMO.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-26-2005   #8
BattleRedRaider
All Pro

Rep Power: 19 BattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame Ballot
Send a message via AIM to BattleRedRaider Send a message via MSN to BattleRedRaider Send a message via Yahoo to BattleRedRaider

I do believe that Charlie Weis would have a great impact on our team. But he's doing just fine at Notre Dame. He's got their team in an attitude that they haven't been in many years. As a fan of TTU and ND (in that order), I'm very happy to see ND playing the way they are. Having TTU and ND ranked very close to each other is very exciting to me. If they play against each other in a bowl game (highly unlikely, but still), I would pinch myself. And I wouldn't be afraid to say that UND would more than likely win.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read