Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2005   #1
yaboycm
Veteran

Default Time for the Carr lovers to defend their boy

After watching this game, who still thinks Carr is the quarterback of the future for this team? He is terrible. Worst starting quarterback in the NFL. No question. The team has so much confidence in him they let him throw the ball 9 times. 9 times! This isn't Ferris Bueller's absences in one school year; this is the number of passes Daniella Carr threw today. I know there were more pass plays called, but he only threw 9 passes!

P-Lease don't bring the O-Line talk. Did you see Carr throw? Or try to. He can't. How did he miss Jabar on that 3rd down out route? Wide Open. Wiiiiiiiide Open.

Also, Domanick Davis is one of the best RBs in the league. It just sucks he is on a crappy team and the rest of the nation doesn't get to see him often. Poor man's LT. Him and Reggie Bush on the same team would be scary. Especially when one lines up as a receiver and the quaterback is a scrambler like...............................I don't know......Vince Young.
Old 10-23-2005   #2
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

There were actually 18 pass plays, but the oline broke down so carr had to scramble 7 times, and he got sacked twice.
Old 10-23-2005   #3
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaboycm
After watching this game, who still thinks Carr is the quarterback of the future for this team? He is terrible. Worst starting quarterback in the NFL. No question. The team has so much confidence in him they let him throw the ball 9 times. 9 times! This isn't Ferris Bueller's absences in one school year; this is the number of passes Daniella Carr threw today. I know there were more pass plays called, but he only threw 9 passes!

P-Lease don't bring the O-Line talk. Did you see Carr throw? Or try to. He can't. How did he miss Jabar on that 3rd down out route? Wide Open. Wiiiiiiiide Open.

Also, Domanick Davis is one of the best RBs in the league. It just sucks he is on a crappy team and the rest of the nation doesn't get to see him often. Poor man's LT. Him and Reggie Bush on the same team would be scary. Especially when one lines up as a receiver and the quaterback is a scrambler like...............................I don't know......Vince Young.
Vince Young would be a disaster. He still doesn't know how to pass the ball. Even a cursory look at how Texas Tech picked him off twice early in yesterday's game show's how weak he is in that regard. And TT has one of the weakest defenses around. If he throws INTs against weak Ds like TT, then think how bad it will be for him in the pros. Young is a great college QB and that's about it. In the NFL, he will be a poor man's Mike Vick. As for Carr, even the best QBs miss wide open targets. I was there today and the best in the biz -- Manning -- didn't look good when he threw an INT and fumbled when he got sacked. He also missed a wide open receiver or two. The fact of the matter is this: Whenever Carr gets decent protection, you get decent production from him. Unfortunately, I think even the coaches have thrown in the towel regarding pass protection and run the ball to the team's own detriment.
Old 10-23-2005   #4
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo
Vince Young would be a disaster. He still doesn't know how to pass the ball. Even a cursory look at how Texas Tech picked him off twice early in yesterday's game show's how weak he is in that regard. And TT has one of the weakest defenses around. If he throws INTs against weak Ds like TT, then think how bad it will be for him in the pros. Young is a great college QB and that's about it. In the NFL, he will be a poor man's Mike Vick. As for Carr, even the best QBs miss wide open targets. I was there today and the best in the biz -- Manning -- didn't look good when he threw an INT and fumbled when he got sacked. He also missed a wide open receiver or two. The fact of the matter is this: Whenever Carr gets decent protection, you get decent production from him. Unfortunately, I think even the coaches have thrown in the towel regarding pass protection and run the ball to the team's own detriment.
A lot of what you say is true, but let's stop and think for a minute or two and see if there might not be a different conclusion. To begin with Carr was considered an accurate passer in college with laser like throws. Todays game was one emphasizing the run and trying to control the ball that way. They really didn't intend to throw the ball until they got behind. That would be a common strategy against a team like the Colts. You want to keep the ball out of Manning's hands as much as possible. That's why I also said you go for it on 4th and short when in your own territory and that's because your defense also can not hold anyone. That makes it a priority to control the ball at all costs. Passing in this situation just doesn't make much sense, because if the pass is complete not much time is run off the clock and if the pass is incomplete it kills the clock. They were trying to kill the clock and Carr I'm pretty certain was told not to pass unless he was 120% certain of completing the pass.

When you don't throw that often you are out of rythm and its hard to readjust for the distances. You need to throw the ball to maintain accuracy. You can't throw a ball here or there and continue to be sharp. Some of you will want to overlook this, but even Manning has to throw to stay sharp. Look at the number of passes Manning threw and he still threw an early interception. Remember, we are suppose to be throwing timing routes and the receiver can make the QB look bad if he doesn't run the route precisely and on time. If your rythm is off timing patterns are deadly.

However, I think there is another issue and I think Carr is playing injured and we don't know it. If you recall he's had shoulder problems from SACKS over the last couple of years. I think there is an element of that and he's not 100%, but he's still better than anyone else we have. Its just a gut feel based on watching him play. You can look physically fit, but you may not be 100%.

I will reiterate that all players on this ball club are at the mercy of this coaching staff and their game planning. I don't think you can judge anybody offensively or defensively based on the incompetence of this staff. The only judgements you can make is if one pulls off a good play despite everything. DROB and Mathis had some pretty good moments today. AGAIN I WOULD NOT JUDGE ANY PERSONNEL AS A RESULT OF WHAT THIS COACHING STAFF IS DOING. Just as players can make coaches look bad, coaches can make players look very bad. Washington was the pitts and now starting the 2nd year under Gibbs they are looking tremendous. Dallas is beginning to look very good under Parcells. Coaching makes a big time difference and to say otherwise is fullish. Don't blame Carr, don't blame the players, don't blame the fans, well blame Casserly and McNair some, but most all of the blame falls on the coaching staff.
Old 10-23-2005   #5
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

you say dd is one of the best running backs in the league yet you want us to draft reggie bush. carr played bad today as did a lot of other people. but if we get us another rb all will be better.

if you put another qb back there that isnt used to having to get rid of the ball in 2 sec he will get sacked 15 times a game. if you go back to the year banks played he got sacked at almost a 3 to 1 ratio compared to carr that year. its basically imposible to teach a qb to get rid of the ball in 2 sec. i dont know if carr is the answer but i do know he hasnt had a fair chance. and 1 underthrown ball to gaffney doesnt prove anything.
Old 10-23-2005   #6
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
Don't blame Carr, don't blame the players, don't blame the fans, well blame Casserly and McNair some, but most all of the blame falls on the coaching staff.
Throwing the ball away on a 2 point conversion try, Ibar? He threw the fricken ball away on a 2 point conversion try. That tells me right there that the boy ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

If you didn't live in Fresno Ibar, you'd see Carr a lot more objectively.
Old 10-23-2005   #7
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Oh please spare me old wise one. DD is a 3rd stringer on most teams, Vince Young will not be a QB in the NFL. Sorry, I am not a fan of DD at all. He is slow at best. Carr takes more hits than DD does. So please spare me with your pity cries, DD is the greastest and the best and the blah blah blah...
Old 10-23-2005   #8
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 31526 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought we were supposed to reserve judgment on Carr until he gets a consistent 3 seconds in the pocket. Without max protect. And his receivers actually get open.
Old 10-23-2005   #9
SESupergenius

Carr had his struggles today, no doubt. We converted points off of turnovers however and the o-line was up to its shinanigans again. I'd would have loved to see Banks or Ragone in for all these games too so that you could see the light into what the real problems are on this team. Our #1 problem today was the defense.

I make no apology for David Carr today, just like I havn't for the last 6 times we've played them. The cover 2 is his or our coaches gameplans' achilles heal. We just can not find a way to beat it unless it's the happless Bears. Once again however he's seeing constant pressure and the box is collapsing. It's easy to fault the QB when the play goes wrong because he's got the ball, but look at it closer and you can just tell the players are not into it. They have no heart, much less a heartbeat. Carr threw a pass right to Mathis, drop right through his hands. Carr passed to Bradford on that INT, Bradford didn't even make a good cut to go after that ball. This team has quit labeled all over it.

Old 10-23-2005   #10
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

I dont care what yall say, until we get an O Line, NOBODY will be able to throw the ball in Houston's offense.
Old 10-23-2005   #11
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg no re
I thought we were supposed to reserve judgment on Carr until he gets a consistent 3 seconds in the pocket. Without max protect. And his receivers actually get open.
I used to give Carr every benefit of the doubt in previous seasons. But today's game brought out faults of David Carr that I don't think any amount of coaching, any type of strategy, or any improvement in the offensive line can correct.

There were plenty of times that he did have time to throw, if he would have just dropped back, got set, and thrown. Why can't he learn to do that? He knows that he doesn't have time to go through the progressions. He knows that he's supposed to drop back, set, and fire, and he won't do it.

And it drives . . . me . . . nuts!
Old 10-23-2005   #12
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I think if (and I'm not sure this would ever even happen) David were offered to other teams in the NFL there would be MANY teams interested.....with the right line, the right coaches he can be successful. Perhaps it won't be with the Texans. I'm not sure what their plans would be if the team continues to lose.
Old 10-23-2005   #13
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
I used to give Carr every benefit of the doubt in previous seasons. But today's game brought out faults of David Carr that I don't think any amount of coaching, any type of strategy, or any improvement in the offensive line can correct.

There were plenty of times that he did have time to throw, if he would have just dropped back, got set, and thrown. Why can't he learn to do that? He knows that he doesn't have time to go through the progressions. He knows that he's supposed to drop back, set, and fire, and he won't do it.

And it drives . . . me . . . nuts!
fire to whom. it takes time for these guys to get open. im not sure anyone is open. you just want him to throw it to no one.
Old 10-23-2005   #14
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Seriously, have you ever played football, how long have you watched it. If you think that DC is the worst QB in the leauge you are sadly mistaken. I can name quite a few more than that. Like Frerotte, Boller, Harrington, Dilfer, Greise, Rattay, Brooks, McKown, Grossman. Thats just 10 to start it off. I bet you really believe that VY or even Leinart would do such a hell of a job behind this petiful o-line. Carr was sacked 4 times today and the sad thind id thats a good game for our o-line. How many QB's do you know that have gotten sacked over 30 times this season and have played great. Oh and I guess you just forgot that AJ, Carrs #1 option has been injured the pass 3 weeks. Maybe we should put you out there and let you get murdered for 4 years and see how much confidence you have in your offensive line coach being your OC. Tell me one game that Carr has had good protection and has stunk it up, every time he gets time, he at least plays decently.

Look at weeks 2 through 7 of last year when the o-line seemed to be pass protecting pretty well, and teams werent doubling AJ.He had a passer rating of over 100 4 times and went 90 once, so dont tell me he cant produce. 2004 Stats I bet you were all over him then.
Old 10-23-2005   #15
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great One
We need an offensive line. Why do you want to draft Reggie Bush????
Because they dont understand football well enough to see that Bush cant produce any better than anyone else behind a porouse o-line.
Old 10-23-2005   #16
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Carr plays into the other teams hands . They know he's shellshocked and is looking to bail . David will have a 3rd and 10 and audible into a run .

I think its only fair to Ragone that he get a shot . I would hate to root for Carr to pull a hamstring so this could happen .
Old 10-23-2005   #17
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

It seems like I see this thread every single week. Carr made some really stupid decisions today and that's just plain true. Carr also tried very hard to move the team and played hard. I can respect that without thinking that it's enough to get it done.

Carr haters sound just as ignorant as Carr apologists. I'm tired of reading both sides of the same old argument. Next up I guess is going to be the "Davis is 3rd string at best" crowd versus the "Davis is better than Edge, he's just on a lousy team!" crowd.

The truth is somewhere in between guys.
Old 10-23-2005   #18
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth
fire to whom. it takes time for these guys to get open. im not sure anyone is open. you just want him to throw it to no one.
He can do like all the QBs in the league can do, throw it to an area where either the receiver gets it, or nobody does. He seems to think it would kill him to throw an incomplete pass.

Naa . . . he'd rather hold onto it and get sacked.
Old 10-23-2005   #19
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napa Auto Parts
All you Carr haters cant any of you see david is the greatest Qb of all time he proved it playing for the power house of fresno state he was so good he led them to and undefeated season. so David Carr is the man in houston lets get him a line than we can complain and why were at it lets get him a brain oh and why were at it lets get him some Cajones so he'll quit running to the sideline like a sissy lets get him a new shoulder so he can throw the ball correctly.
Okay, so you dont want him to run, so you want him to stand there and get killed by 300 pound d-linemen, so you want him to be stupid. I see you have experience at this.
Old 10-23-2005   #20
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
He can do like all the QBs in the league can do, throw it to an area where either the receiver gets it, or nobody does. He seems to think it would kill him to throw an incomplete pass.

Naa . . . he'd rather hold onto it and get sacked.
You cant do that every play. So you want him to throw it up for an incompletion every play. If Gaff is covered and Badford is covered, and we have a TE and RB in to block, just throw it away. And in zone coverage just throw it away when no one gets open. Thats a punk route to me, I would rather a QB who make mistakes trying to make a play rather than punking out and throwing it away every other play.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read